Xbox 360 cheap 16GB USB memory option

humidore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Is there a cheap "go-to" 16GB USB stick option out there? I've tried looking into the min specs for USB sticks on the 360, but I couldn't find anything conclusive as far as a min read/write speed.

I know I missed some deals over Black Friday...and while I'd love an actual HDD (stuck shuffling content on my 20GB drive), the cost kills me.

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

After looking for a while about a month ago I eventually settled on the Patriot Xporter XT 16 GB from Amazon. The 360 didn't give me any lip when I ran the compatibility scan and transferring what little I had on my Arcade memory was a breeze. Thus far the most taxing thing I've done is played Mass Effect 2 DLC off it, and I never noticed any difference from playing off the disc.

The drive had a mail-in rebate which I sent off a couple weeks back, but I'm never too optimistic when it comes to rebates. I'd still be happy with the drive even without the post-rebate price though. The rebate was probably renewed again for December if you want to give it a shot.

Otherwise my extremely unqualified gut says you would be just as pleased with any of at least a half dozen other drives.

I'm not sure USB sticks are even worth it. You can just save games, you can't play live or play original xbox games or play games with an install base.
My dad bought a sandisk 16gb and it worked just fine for what it was capable of

[quote name='pixi']I'm not sure USB sticks are even worth it. You can just save games, you can't play live or play original xbox games or play games with an install base.
My dad bought a sandisk 16gb and it worked just fine for what it was capable of[/QUOTE]

You can't play original Xbox games, but you can do everything else. Save games, download content, connect to Live, and even install disc-based games.

He had to return Halo Reach because it neede an actual Microsoft hard drive, but the install base is 5gb and he bought like 16gn

Keep an eye on NewEgg.com, they had a 16GB USB for $5 shipped. I missed it the first time they had them, but the 2nd time I got 3.

[quote name='mkelehan']You can't play original Xbox games, but you can do everything else. Save games, download content, connect to Live, and even install disc-based games.[/QUOTE]

This is enough for me. still, I have a spare MSFT HD for the Xbox lying around somewhere and still have room on my current HD to work with/delete.

I actually just started using a USB Flash Drive myself. Reason being is that I have two 360s with the same gamertag. Microsoft apparently has a problem with you liking their products so much that you buy two of them. I want both of them to sign on live, but not at the same time. I just want to be able to play on my GT in different rooms depending on what's going on in my house. But if you sign on live on one, then sign off and sign on live on the other one...they make you recover your GT (which sucks and takes about 30 minutes for me, guessing because of how many achievements I have). So the shitty fix is to keep my GT on a USB flash drive and just swap that out onto whatever 360 I'm using. I bought a 16GB Transcend from Amazon and the data would go corrupt every other time I tried to swap it, so I'm guessing it's not compatible. So I bought a 16 GB San Disk Cruzer and it seems to be working fine so far, though my console did say it doesn't meet the requirements.

[quote name='mkelehan']You can't play original Xbox games, but you can do everything else. Save games, download content, connect to Live, and even install disc-based games.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize I couldn't play games off the USB! I was hoping to use it for one or 2 360 games (saved from the disc) and a couple Arcade games. Save files don't take up much space, it's the games...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Keep an eye on NewEgg.com, they had a 16GB USB for $5 shipped. I missed it the first time they had them, but the 2nd time I got 3.[/QUOTE]

I paid $20 for a Kingston one on Black Friday at Office Max. Works great, but I'd love to get in on this deal. Which flash drive did Newegg put on sale?

You can play Arcade games off your USB Stick but i wouldnt know about the original xbox games or installing disc games on it.
i never tried it anyways.

I suggest you move all your arcade and DLC to your USB. The DLC without proprietorship, without a linked gamertag, works best
Keep your Saves, since they are linked to your gamertage, on your HDD.

My USB stick really helped me a lot since i had a 20 gig

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']I actually just started using a USB Flash Drive myself. Reason being is that I have two 360s with the same gamertag. Microsoft apparently has a problem with you liking their products so much that you buy two of them. I want both of them to sign on live, but not at the same time. I just want to be able to play on my GT in different rooms depending on what's going on in my house. But if you sign on live on one, then sign off and sign on live on the other one...they make you recover your GT (which sucks and takes about 30 minutes for me, guessing because of how many achievements I have). So the shitty fix is to keep my GT on a USB flash drive and just swap that out onto whatever 360 I'm using. I bought a 16GB Transcend from Amazon and the data would go corrupt every other time I tried to swap it, so I'm guessing it's not compatible. So I bought a 16 GB San Disk Cruzer and it seems to be working fine so far, though my console did say it doesn't meet the requirements.[/QUOTE]

Why not just put your profile on a memory card? I bought a cheap 64 MB xbox 360 memory card for $5 for just that reason, to contain my profile. Its like my xbox key - I go to my bedroom and plug in, turn on, and play...then when I go into the living room I plug it in here, turn it on, and play more.

It is dirt cheap and works great, especially if you already have one, or if a buddy has one kicking around...and does the job well. :)

I bought the Patriot Xporter 16GB a month or so ago. Been working great on my 360. Got it for around $20 after MIR. I have not had a single problem with the device. The load times and speed of the stick are surprisingly similar to when I was using a HDD. Of course I no longer keep full games installed, it is perfect for arcade games (except Shank because that beast is 2.0gb).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220253&cm_re=xporter-_-20-220-253-_-Product

There is also an 8gb version..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220252&cm_re=xporter-_-20-220-252-_-Product

What I would do is find a couple models you are looking for on amazon and then go to camelcamelcamel.com to see the price history for that item. It will give you perspective to wait for the best price, if you're not in a hurry.

[quote name='POMusashi']I paid $20 for a Kingston one on Black Friday at Office Max. Works great, but I'd love to get in on this deal. Which flash drive did Newegg put on sale?[/QUOTE]

I got the same one. Works great!

[quote name='cRodz']You can play Arcade games off your USB Stick but i wouldnt know about the original xbox games or installing disc games on it.
i never tried it anyways.

I suggest you move all your arcade and DLC to your USB. The DLC without proprietorship, without a linked gamertag, works best
Keep your Saves, since they are linked to your gamertage, on your HDD.

My USB stick really helped me a lot since i had a 20 gig[/QUOTE]

I have played my CoD:WaW Map pack 1 off of a USB drive. I've also used one for the Crackdown 2 demo (1GB+) a few months ago.

Both of my flash drives are SanDisk Cruzers. 4GB and 8GB. I've seen some "deals" on Amazon that price the 16GB models from $20 to $25 shipped.

The map pack initially downloaded to my HDD then I deleted for more space. I then re-downloaded it to my USB. The Crackdown demo went directly to my USB since I didn't feel like shuffling content to make room.

bread's done
Back