Xbox 360 Core $203.96 at Sears Grand

toastman91

CAG Veteran
I was at Sears grand and was surpised to find their xbox 360 core systems "reduced" to $203.96. I dont know if this is in my store only but its worth checking into. They also had the xbox live 3 month bundles for $10

I would guess this is YMMV, but the Core isn't showing up on Sears.com anymore. Maybe it's getting clearanced?

[quote name='Tideas']who buys a core? lol, it's so worthless :D[/quote]

Yeah, why pay $203 for a core and $100 for a 20 gig HDD (or $180? for the 120 gig HDD) when you could just go pay $399 for a 20 gig Premium or $480 for an elite. :applause:

If your system is broken and out of warranty, buying a new Core isn't a bad idea. You're not a dope, so you've already got a hard drive. Pay $140 to MS for a refurbished system, or get a brand new one and a wired pad for $205 + tax. Hmm...

Wow, this would be a sweet deal to get into. Essentially a premium for $300 + tax once you buy a core and a HD. Hell, I don't need wireless controllers, lol.

I'm really thinking hard about finally purchasing an X360 but I don't know the diff between core, premium and elite!!! Any hints?

Also remember that you can always use the ebay way on the HD, I've seen some new ones go for 80 bucks on there. If I didn't have a 360 I would definitely jump on this deal.

[quote name='eastx']If your system is broken and out of warranty, buying a new Core isn't a bad idea. You're not a dope, so you've already got a hard drive. Pay $140 to MS for a refurbished system, or get a brand new one and a wired pad for $205 + tax. Hmm...[/quote]

Yeah i agree, plus then you can sell your broken 360 on ebay for like $100...The only problem though is i dont trust the 360 hardware...I dont want to fork out anymore money especially to microsoft who wont fix(free) or even acknowledge their hardware problems...

[quote name='Tideas']who buys a core? lol, it's so worthless :D[/quote]

I own a core...serves me just fine. Picked up a cheap mem card and componet cables and my 360 can pretty much do anything yours can plus with the deal I got I paid 200 less...

Yeah, worthless.

Damn that is a sweet deal. Even if you spend $100 on a HD and spend $50 on the controller and $20 on the mic, you are at $370 and you got an extra controller even though it is wired. Awesome find. :applause:

I was thinking about doing this and buying a refurbished 20GB harddrive from Gamestop for $80 so for about $284 plus tax. I don't know if this is worth it to me since I only really want to play the old xbox games.

Do you all think I should just buy an old Xbox instead since I don't really care for Xbox live?

I do though would rather have an Xbox 360 Elite since its black. Wish Microsoft would produce black core systems, but that probably is unlikely since the Core seems to be being slowly phased out.

On a sidenote, I always thought Sears Grand had different pricing than at regular Sears.

[quote name='SailorDaravon']Yeah, why pay $203 for a core and $100 for a 20 gig HDD (or $180? for the 120 gig HDD) when you could just go pay $399 for a 20 gig Premium or $480 for an elite. :applause:[/QUOTE]
The 20GB HDD should be showing up for cheap as they flood in used.

[quote name='dallow']Can you not use Wireless controllers with the Core?[/quote]

You can use wireless controllers with the Core. The Core just doesn't come with one. I bought a Core to replace my out-of-warranty premium. I just reused my old hard drive, cables, and wireless controller and the only difference is that my DVD drive door is white now instead of chrome.

[quote name='HarassmentPanda']You can use wireless controllers with the Core. The Core just doesn't come with one. I bought a Core to replace my out-of-warranty premium. I just reused my old hard drive, cables, and wireless controller and the only difference is that my DVD drive door is white now instead of chrome.[/quote]

Good, was thinking of picking up a spare Core.

Oh bah, well someone mentioned something about the deal being nation-wide. Is this true, do all Sears carry the core for $203 now?
\

[quote name='AlanSaysYo']It's like a Wal-Mart version of Sears with groceries and whatnot.[/quote]

Wow........how odd.

[quote name='dallow']Wow........how odd.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I had heard of a Sears, and a Sears Essentials, but never a Sears "Grand".

That is pretty odd.

This was never confirmed in the Sears Clearance thread, the OP says it's unconfirmed AND YMMV.

[quote name='Tybalt Flux']Oh bah, well someone mentioned something about the deal being nation-wide. Is this true, do all Sears carry the core for $203 now?
\[/quote]

Yes the price should nationwide at ALL Sears stores.

But its YMMV if a Sears still has this in stock. I've searched many a Sears/Grand/Essentials in 3 states and haven't come across a Core yet.:cry:

I'm still not sold on teh next-gen yet, especially with so many last-gen games to play, but ~$200 makes it easy to upgrade

Same here, I already have a Wii and PS2, and want a 360...but can't currently justify the price without the new motherboards.

For $200, I couldn't care less if it went up in flames. I'll prolly go hunting for one today.

Aside from that, without the HardDrive, how much game save files can it hold?

EDIT: Scrap that, I've changed my mind. I'll have to blow $80-$100 for the HD (required to save/play XBox games), and maybe $30-40 for another controller (my g/f is big on Halo), and taking into account that new price, and the current failure rate, I don't believe it's worth it.

I've read too many reviews of it failing even under the LIGHTEST of gameplay habits (like 2-3 hours a week) in only a few months. I'll wait for the 65nm boards and then some to see how things pan out.

~HotShotX

Again, hence why i recommend buying an xbox 360 at costco. LIFETIME warranty policy. If it breaks you just get a new one! CHACHING!

[quote name='humidore']Never seen/heard of a Sears Grand, are there any in the Bay Area, CA?[/QUOTE]
I'm wondering this as well, the Sears closest to me is just a regular Sears in Tanforan

[quote name='msuna']Again, hence why i recommend buying an xbox 360 at costco. LIFETIME warranty policy. If it breaks you just get a new one! CHACHING![/QUOTE]

Is it still lifetime for gaming hardware? I know they changed it for their TVs and likely some electronics and am wondering if their new policy applies to game systems too now.

[quote name='humidore']Never seen/heard of a Sears Grand, are there any in the Bay Area, CA?[/QUOTE]
A Sears Grand is like a Wal-Mart Supercenter. Take a K-Mart and add a grocery store to get a Super K-Mart, then expand the selection of everything else and you get a Sears Grand.

[quote name='msuna']Again, hence why i recommend buying an xbox 360 at costco. LIFETIME warranty policy. If it breaks you just get a new one! CHACHING![/quote]

Now that's something worth looking into when the 65nm processors come out.

~HotShotX

[quote name='PikaPichu']Is it still lifetime for gaming hardware? I know they changed it for their TVs and likely some electronics and am wondering if their new policy applies to game systems too now.[/QUOTE]
You could certainly make the case that it's still lifetime. Their specific policy is:

Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.

While a game console is just a computer, that word is usually specifically applied to general purpose home PCs and not dedicated purpose devices.

Don't forget that AFAIK the cores don't come with any cables to get HD. So thats another ~$40 for an official cable.

Also, bear in mind that Costco's have a $50/year membership fee. So, unless your a frequent Costco buyer yourself, you may want to find someone else you can shovel the money to and have them buy it in your stead, and save the receipt.

Getting a Costco membership for this alone seems counterproductive, unless they honor the warranty after your membership expires, and you don't renew.

~HotShotX

[quote name='Damian']You could certainly make the case that it's still lifetime. Their specific policy is:

Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.

While a game console is just a computer, that word is usually specifically applied to general purpose home PCs and not dedicated purpose devices.[/QUOTE]

Oh I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Can that policy change at any time to limit videogame console 'support' to 2 years?

[quote name='PikaPichu']Oh I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Can that policy change at any time to limit videogame console 'support' to 2 years?[/quote]

Yes, but, if you have already purchased, you will remain under the old policy.

The disadvantage to relying on Costco or Sam's Club's return policy is that if you want to be able to play the games you have downloaded from XBLA without being logged in with the account you used to purcahse them, you will have to rebuy them. If you buy the MS warranty, and they have to replace your system, you can get them to give you an activation code to repurchase all the content you've downloaded so that you don't have to be logged in to Live.

You can go to costco, buy a new one, swap the harddrives and return the broken system for a refund.

[quote name='maxgeek']You can go to costco, buy a new one, swap the harddrives and return the broken system for a refund.[/QUOTE]
But you still can't play your downloaded content without being logged into Live.

[quote name='Damian']But you still can't play your downloaded content without being logged into Live.[/QUOTE]

I suppose that's better than not being able to play at all.

[quote name='guyver2077']yea no big deal... just log into live...
microsoft always sends me back a different system anyways[/QUOTE]
It's a very big deal if more than one person in the house plays it. My wife and I both play some XBLA games but they were all purchased under my account.

[quote name='maxgeek']You can go to costco, buy a new one, swap the harddrives and return the broken system for a refund.[/QUOTE]

Costco doesn't check Serial #s?

I know all the other retailers do.

[quote name='TehTriggerman']would it be worth it if your 360 premium just died and you can just use the HDD...for 203 would you do it?[/QUOTE]
Depends on what MS wants for replacement cost. I'm going to get the extended warranty when my year is almost up anyway.

You guys need to cut out the return fraud. It's one thing to return a brand new game to walmart for store credit, it's completely another to swap out broken components and return them.

bread's done
Back