Xbox 360 Elite VS Xbox 360 Classic comparison test

[quote name='dallow']Yikes indeed! Haha, actually scared me a bit, had the volume up too high.[/QUOTE]
At least we can now say which is quieter.

[quote name='sp00ge']I read (I think it was on llama) that the chrome case actually affects the wireless controllers range. If combined with the chrome controller shells, the range becomes practically worthless.[/quote]

LOL wow good find, I wasn't going for the chrome anyways just showing that you can change your case's color without shelling out $480 for it. I'd go with the clear case myself and then throw in some cold cathods.

Well, mine didn't do that to the sacrificial BK game I fed it the first time I put a disc in ;).

Posted this in the "360 review" thread but it might get missed there:

"Ebony and Ivory..."

So, anyway, obviously mine doesn't have the disc grinding issue. I thought it was pretty quiet at first, actually. But now my son has Lego Star Wars paused while he eats something and watches the Simpsons and it is pretty damn loud. I'm going to have a hard time keeping it on for downloads and stuff if it keeps that up. But perhaps it is noiser than normal because of the game (though in pause I'd think the disc would settle down).

Anyway, enjoying it so far...

[quote name='io']So, anyway, obviously mine doesn't have the disc grinding issue. I thought it was pretty quiet at first, actually. But now my son has Lego Star Wars paused while he eats something and watches the Simpsons and it is pretty damn loud. I'm going to have a hard time keeping it on for downloads and stuff if it keeps that up. But perhaps it is noiser than normal because of the game (though in pause I'd think the disc would settle down).[/quote]

the spring? update this month (i think it drops this month) will feature a low power mode for downloading stuff while you arent playing anyting on the 360....that will quiet it WAY down while you are downloading stuff

[quote name='Malik112099']the spring? update this month (i think it drops this month) will feature a low power mode for downloading stuff while you arent playing anyting on the 360....that will quiet it WAY down while you are downloading stuff[/QUOTE]

Yeah, once I took the Lego Star Wars II disc out the thing got WAY quieter - on par with my laptop while I downloaded. I don't have a problem with it in that mode, though a low power download feature would be welcome.

Thanks OP for the comparison. Like others have said, I'm very disappointed in the Elite. It's basically the same flawed system -- just a black version.

Why are they sitting on the 65nm chips? That would solve so many hardware issues if they used it.

so glad I didn't jump in to the elite.

but secretly wishing my console will die within warranty once the 65nm chips come out.

[quote name='velvet396']so glad I didn't jump in to the elite.

but secretly wishing my console will die within warranty once the 65nm chips come out.[/QUOTE]

Well if you have a bestbuy warranty they don't even check to see if it works so yours can be broken the day the 65nm's come out.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']Well if you have a bestbuy warranty they don't even check to see if it works so yours can be broken the day the 65nm's come out.[/quote]

Please, I'm a CAGer, I don't buy extended warranties, especially not from best buy. I got the premium for $308 from Meijer 2 weeks ago.

Although I did purchase the extended warranty for my $2k HDTV once it reached the end of its one-year warranty. Another 5 years of worry-free use, I'll take that.

what the hell is with tards always having to call the regular Xbox 360 something else. First premium and now Classic? lame.

It always was

Xbox 360 Core --> Xbox 360 --> Now Xbox 360 Elite.

No premium, no classic.... lols

And if you want something more reliable in the horizon your best bet is the 65nm. The main problem 360's break is because the MB overheats and warps and crap pops out. 65nm produces less heat hence less popping ;)

[quote name='io']Ah, well, disappointed about the fan/disc noise to say the least (was hoping at least for a quieter disc drive).[/quote]
Like Cheapy said there is no need to go out and buy the Eilite when to new smaller chip 360's are coming out this fall.

[quote name='Underfoot']Like Cheapy said there is no need to go out and buy the Eilite when to new smaller chip 360's are coming out this fall.[/QUOTE]

Well, that would mean no 360 for me until the "Fall", whenever that turns out to be. I had already waited since last December until now for this one to come out. The key thing for me on this model is the bigger HD. The only problem I have with it (so far) is the drive noise. And guess what? 65nm chips aren't going to help one damn bit with that :rofl:.

Note that when these 65nm chips come out it is primarily a cost-cutting measure for Microsoft. I don't expect them to advertize them or make the systems with those different from the ones with the older chips. For a while it will probably be hard to tell which systems have which set until people figure out the manufacturing date/lot number/etc issues. So you're probably looking at 2008 before all 360's have the new chips. Sure, I could wait that long, but then I might as well not even get one ;).

[quote name='velvet396']Please, I'm a CAGer, I don't buy extended warranties, especially not from best buy. I got the premium for $308 from Meijer 2 weeks ago.

Although I did purchase the extended warranty for my $2k HDTV once it reached the end of its one-year warranty. Another 5 years of worry-free use, I'll take that.[/quote]

shit caggers should alwayss look into warranty's on systems.. its the safe and smart route..

best buy warranties are usually good for these "Swap" situations..

i guess the question is if the elites will eventually have the new chips or if they will pnly put them into the older models..

1080p VGA looks good on my Sammy 61inch DLP. As much as I would like HDMI, sounds like I'm not missing out on much

[quote name='guyver2077']shit caggers should alwayss look into warranty's on systems.. its the safe and smart route..[/quote]

maybe only for the 360, given its history...

[quote name='velvet396']Please, I'm a CAGer, I don't buy extended warranties, especially not from best buy. I got the premium for $308 from Meijer 2 weeks ago.

Although I did purchase the extended warranty for my $2k HDTV once it reached the end of its one-year warranty. Another 5 years of worry-free use, I'll take that.[/QUOTE]

well, enjoy ur out-of-warranty 3 red lights. :p

seriously though, in two years there'll be a more refined model at a cheaper price. Pay $60 now, and you only pay the difference between $60 and the reduced price for the new one. Or you can return it the day before it's up and have a new system again. might be a bitch since you can't transfer 360 saves though...

Or you can just return the thing out of the MS warranty and get $400 back (minus the Ex warr) That makes perfect CAG sense.

It's better to look for an ebay auction with a BB warranty though. Usually the warranty doesn't play much of a role in the final value. in which case, you'd actually profit from returning it, if you get a cheap enough auction.

well unless they plan on eventually putting hdmi into the regular premium systems...it doesnt sound like such a bad idea to sell your premium and say pick up an elite with an instore warranty..

if im going to get a warranty i may as well get it from bb... microsofts customer service has been fast but i just cant stand the wait....

hopefully they eventually will put the newer chips into elites as well... i may just wait a month or two for the next batch of elites

[quote name='velvet396']maybe only for the 360, given its history...[/QUOTE]
uh ever had a ps2 I had 3, launch, 30001, largerboard 39001, ir 50001

[quote name='BULL_Ship']uh ever had a ps2 I had 3, launch, 30001, largerboard 39001, ir 50001[/quote]

Sorry about that. My launch PS2 is still kicking.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']uh ever had a ps2 I had 3, launch, 30001, largerboard 39001, ir 50001[/QUOTE]

As things go, I'd say each has their respective issues, but I still have my launch PS2 working like a charm... of course I never used it as a DVD player..... dunno if it matters much. It takes its own sweet time with some blue discs...

The only launch console I've had that has given me any trouble (of those I bought at launch... Gamecube, PS2, XBox) was the original XBox. That's understandable, being a 1.0 unit. :) 2nd time's a charm....

My 360 is fairly recent... having waited until late last year to get one. But it works fine, albeit noisily, like most folks'... The PS3 was "nearly" a launch 20GB, and has been fine as well... but it is an oven...

Of course I tend to baby my electronics entirely too much. :) I still have a launch Playstation... it's been through quite a bit, considering I still used it quite a while after getting a PS2... (i had the room for it under the TV I guess.) Right now, it's hooked up via composite to my LCD TV, just in case the PS3 has any issues with a PS1 game I might still want to play (mostly limited to shooters and such...)

The only thing I wish these new gen consoles did was run cooler... but for the price, I suppose we can't expect adaptive cooling heatpipes or whatever's the rage these days. :)

bread's done
Back