Xbox 360 for $360

aw004g

CAGiversary!
I did this when the PSP came out and got it for $215. When you apply (and get approved) for the target credit card, you get a voucher for 10% off any purchase. Consoles are not excluded. You would probably have to wait in line on Nov. 22. However, you can apply for the card a day or two in advance and then use the voucher on the 22nd. I'd do this if I hadn't already used this deal on my PSP.

[quote name='Kunikos']$360 would be for just the console, the version without the hard drive?[/QUOTE]

yup, 10% off the 299.99 version equates to a price increase, what a deal :applause:

[quote name='Americanpierg']yup, 10% off the 299.99 version equates to a price increase, what a deal :applause:[/QUOTE]

He is a newbee...but he was way off ;)

Remember, every credit card you apply for will have a negative affect on your credit score. This may not be a problem for most, but if you are in the market for a new car or home you may want to have second thoughts about this potential $40 savings...what will it cost you in the long run?

[quote name='h2dk']Remember, every credit card you apply for will have a negative affect on your credit score. This may not be a problem for most, but if you are in the market for a new car or home you may want to have second thoughts about this potential $40 savings...what will it cost you in the long run?[/QUOTE]

^^^ What he said. Applying for a new CC isn't worth $40.

[quote name='Ledhed']^^^ What he said. Applying for a new CC isn't worth $40.[/QUOTE]

Unless you were planning on getting a Target card anyway ;)

[quote name='h2dk']Remember, every credit card you apply for will have a negative affect on your credit score. This may not be a problem for most, but if you are in the market for a new car or home you may want to have second thoughts about this potential $40 savings...what will it cost you in the long run?[/QUOTE]

actually that is not true unless you apply for 20 cards or some other ridiculous number within a month. a target card is considered a soft hit when talking credit checks. the average credit limit will be $700 on these cards, so it won't drastically impact you debt to income ratio.

actually, you are wrong. credit cards will only have a detrimental affect if you run up debt on it and do not pay it. if you just buy the xbox, pay it off, then leave the balance at $0, it will INCREASE your credit score because one of the variables they make the calculation on is total available credit. I found this out when I was getting a mortgage, i had 2 credit cards and one i never used with a $2000 limit, everyone said i should just leave the account open and not use it. so i just use my other card with the greater limit on it and pay it off each month.

but you are right about hurting your rating if you just open the account for this discount, pay it, then close the account. that doesn't look so great. one thing they look for is how long you have had your credit card accounts open, so keep your accounts at $0 and open, as long as there is no annual fee it can't hurt you.

another tip - if credit card companies try to start charging you an annual fee, call and complain that you can easily get a different card with no fee and most of the time they will drop the fee because they want your business. They just pull that crap to get the people who are already in debt and can't just pay the card off. if you have $0 balance, then you are in control.

Not all the time, if you have shitty credit to start with then yes this will hurt you, If you dont have any type of credit to start with this will help you out by starting your credit... Myself I have numerous open credit lines and my credit score is 690( just below 700 due to a charge off from Diamond comic dist. from when I owned my comic shop) Only 2 cards carry balances( 1 has a large balance from a single purchase that is paid off a little each month, the second is the one I use monthly and pay off monthly) and all the other credit cards that are active and have a $0 balance only count as $10 toward my debt ratio(((( worked for countrywide home loans before I went on the title side of real estate so I am very familiar with the in's and out's of credit scoring)))) nothing neg there unless you already have crappy credit or make a low amount of money per month. And once you close a line of credit, it will usually be removed from your credit report in about 3 months....

If you are going to sign up for a card to get the reward, look at the Citibank Diamond Preferred Rewards card. I've seen flyers in the local newspaper recently where they give you 10,000 free points after the first purchase. That equates to a $100 gift card at Best Buy, Circuit City, or other places like gas stations and stuff. It gives you 5% back on purchases at drug stores, grocery stores, and gas stations. Everywhere else is 1%. Citibank also has a standard cash back card at these same rates, but I haven't seen the $100 sign up bonus for that one.

I signed up in the Spring for this card and got the $100 in gift cards without any problems.

I just looked. If you sign up online, you only get 5000 points. I think you have to call and mention the 10,000 points to get it.

Or just sign up, get the discount, pay it off and cancel it. Those 10% can come in handy when you are making large purchases. Always look for the ones that say "off purchase" not "off item." You really should not have more than 10 credit cards anyway. At least that's my opinion.

It won't hurt you in the long run. In fact, if you pay on it your credit will actually get better.

Please stop talking about something you have no clue about.

EDIT: Dammit, I should have read the rest of this thread.

[quote name='TheShiz']actually, you are wrong. credit cards will only have a detrimental affect if you run up debt on it and do not pay it. if you just buy the xbox, pay it off, then leave the balance at $0, it will INCREASE your credit score because one of the variables they make the calculation on is total available credit. I found this out when I was getting a mortgage, i had 2 credit cards and one i never used with a $2000 limit, everyone said i should just leave the account open and not use it. so i just use my other card with the greater limit on it and pay it off each month.

but you are right about hurting your rating if you just open the account for this discount, pay it, then close the account. that doesn't look so great. one thing they look for is how long you have had your credit card accounts open, so keep your accounts at $0 and open, as long as there is no annual fee it can't hurt you.

another tip - if credit card companies try to start charging you an annual fee, call and complain that you can easily get a different card with no fee and most of the time they will drop the fee because they want your business. They just pull that crap to get the people who are already in debt and can't just pay the card off. if you have $0 balance, then you are in control.[/QUOTE]

What I have learned in my quest to get good credit (my credit score according to equifax is better than 99.92% of all consumers)

It IS ok to have a few revolving accounts of credit cards... I stress a few... 8 or 9 is looked at negitively on your score

Having a low percentage of available credit used on ones cards vs the total credit limit is very important as well... this shows lenders you will not splurge or overextend your finances... making you look... responsible... the limit or threshold percentage-wise is 25%... keep it under that, and you are good to go

Having HIGH available credit is good too, considering I began my credit history in college with a discover card, with a 1000 limit... and now have well over 50 times that available on my cards, but will never even probably charge up 1/3 of it, unless I can pay it off quickly

Keep very close tabs on your credit history... recent rasises on my APR's alerted me to problems (I always pay my CC's, mainly 3 or 4 times a month, online)... problems that werent my fault, and when fixed, resulted in a 140 point difference in my credit scores

If getting 10% off with this card works for you, by all means do so... but I wont get any card just for some one time deal... my wife had this card, and her APR was crazy... my cards are all well under... if you ever want to lower yourAPR (and you are a good consumer with a credit card company)... just threaten to leave, I had it twice happen as I really WAS going to leave these companies

i say fuck credit cards. i had some in college, but the way to roll is with cash not plastic. there are many other ways to "build credit" rather than using credit. you are just asking for trouble when you go into debt. get a debit card for purchases if that helps, but there is nothing in this world that requires you go into debt. with the short term lending rate on a continual rise, interest rates are doing nothing but going up...

[quote name='gaelan']i say fuck credit cards. i had some in college, but the way to roll is with cash not plastic. there are many other ways to "build credit" rather than using credit. you are just asking for trouble when you go into debt. get a debit card for purchases if that helps, but there is nothing in this world that requires you go into debt. with the short term lending rate on a continual rise, interest rates are doing nothing but going up...[/QUOTE]

Just cause you have a credit card doesn't mean you have to use it. Its called self control.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Just cause you have a credit card doesn't mean you have to use it. Its called self control.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I use mine for the rewards. 5% off gas and groceries is nice, but I pay it off every month.

[quote name='gaelan']i say fuck credit cards. i had some in college, but the way to roll is with cash not plastic. there are many other ways to "build credit" rather than using credit. you are just asking for trouble when you go into debt. get a debit card for purchases if that helps, but there is nothing in this world that requires you go into debt. with the short term lending rate on a continual rise, interest rates are doing nothing but going up...[/QUOTE]

Yea, but carrying alot of cash isn't exactly safe either. It is easy to buy random crap that you really don't need if the plastic is right there, though. Paying it off is the tricky part.....

[quote name='daria19']Yea, but carrying alot of cash isn't exactly safe either. It is easy to buy random crap that you really don't need if the plastic is right there, though. Paying it off is the tricky part.....[/QUOTE]
I actually find I end up spending more with cash than credit. With cash you fall victim to vending machines and the like and at work that is trouble. But anyway... if you only use a credit card on things you would have paid cash for, there's no trouble. I have personally never carried a balance on my card.

And back on topic... I would probably do this if I was getting a 360 at launch ;)

[quote name='botticus']I actually find I end up spending more with cash than credit. [/QUOTE]

you're among a minority in america. those that don't carry balances are also in a minority. more and more people file bankruptcy in america each year, and the level of revolving debt that families carry increases each year also. the reality is that the majority of america does not have the self control and discipline to be financially responsible. basically if you can't pay for it...don't buy it. my .02 (that's cash not credit)

FYI anyone who wants this deal but doesn't want the card, you get your 10% off by either using your card, or paying in cash (IE no debit, no checks). So you can just pay in cash and cut the card up

Don't apply for credit if you don't need it. Applying for as little as a store credit card and nearly maxing it out or charging more than half of the available credit could actually make your car and health insurance premiums go up. Hard to believe but it's true. Those companies look at your FICO score as a factor when determining your premiums. That little 3 digit number, your FICO score, affects nearly everything in your life when it comes to money. If you weren't planning on getting a Target card at all, it's not worth doing it just to save $40 bucks.

Some of you people need to listen to Dave Ramsey. He calls a high credit score an "I Love Debt" score. Some establishments don't go with your credit score and will look at your assets and income and judge accordingly.

[quote name='xbox_mole']Don't apply for credit if you don't need it. Applying for as little as a store credit card and nearly maxing it out or charging more than half of the available credit could actually make your car and health insurance premiums go up. Hard to believe but it's true. Those companies look at your FICO score as a factor when determining your premiums. That little 3 digit number, your FICO score, affects nearly everything in your life when it comes to money. If you weren't planning on getting a Target card at all, it's not worth doing it just to save $40 bucks.[/QUOTE]

opening up a charge card will not affect you FICO score

You could purposely hang out at Wal-Mart everyday, trying to make friends with someone who works there, and talk them into buying a 360 for you, using their 10% employee discount card. lol :D :roll:

Or you could go to Wal-Mart, get a part-time job there during this week, the time of the year when they hire extra part time help anyway, get your own 10% employee discount card and first check after 3 weeks of work, pick up a 360 the following day, if any are left by then, and buy it with the %10 discount and your first check, quiting the next day.:roll: :lol:

[quote name='Elitist Prick']You could purposely hang out at Wal-Mart everyday, trying to make friends with someone who works there, and talk them into buying a 360 for you, using their 10% employee discount card. lol :D :roll:

Or you could go to Wal-Mart, get a part-time job there during this week, the time of the year when they hire extra part time help anyway, get your own 10% employee discount card and first check after 3 weeks of work, pick up a 360 the following day, if any are left by then, and buy it with the %10 discount and your first check, quiting the next day.:roll: :lol:[/QUOTE]

Actually Ill get my 360 for $320.

20% holiday discount.

more like salty peanuts...

Target credit cards also accumulate points. 1000 points gets you a 10% off shopping card that can be used for an entire day. just FYI.

I think it's 1 point per $1 spent and 2 points per $1 spent at Target.

Or use an employee discount. I already debated getting the Xbox 360 for 10% off with my employee discount. Maybe I can stack the RED card with the discount.

[quote name='thagoat']here's some financial advise. lick my sack!! how bout them apples![/QUOTE]

Zing! :rofl:

[quote name='sarkenobi']Or use an employee discount. I already debated getting the Xbox 360 for 10% off with my employee discount. Maybe I can stack the RED card with the discount.[/QUOTE]

Yes... you can! That's what I'm planning on doing.

this might be a good thread in another forum, are there any good gamer credit cards out there? and back on topic, is any one jumping on this deal?

it's a great time to be a cheap ass gamer

I have another deal where I stay home and save 100% and not pay for this overpriced behemoth.

[quote name='botticus']I actually find I end up spending more with cash than credit. With cash you fall victim to vending machines and the like and at work that is trouble. But anyway... if you only use a credit card on things you would have paid cash for, there's no trouble. I have personally never carried a balance on my card.

[/QUOTE]

exactly. Using a credit card to buy groceries and other essentials(and paying off the balance) to get the points is an excellent option.

why not get a part time job at target for the holidays just to get the discount and then apply for the credit card! It can be stacked, im a manager at one here in colorado and i have my credit card rewards coming, so on the 22nd i will get 20% off my system, games and accessories. Total will run me a little over 400 with 360, 1 game and the play and charge kit. Can't beat that!

[quote name='gaelan']you're among a minority in america. those that don't carry balances are also in a minority. more and more people file bankruptcy in america each year, and the level of revolving debt that families carry increases each year also. the reality is that the majority of america does not have the self control and discipline to be financially responsible. basically if you can't pay for it...don't buy it. my .02 (that's cash not credit)[/QUOTE]

IMO - Credit cards are better tha cash if you pay them off every month.

1.) You get rewards, %1-%5 depending on your card and what you buy. It adds up, especially if you use it for work expenses that are reimbursed, tuition, rent, etc.
2.) you have buyer protection. Chargeback things that you get screwed on.
3.) Virtual account numbers. You can limit the $$ that comes off a certain number. AFAIK, debit cards don't have those yet.

As far as buying a game console goes, i think ill stick to the 'free' ones and save the $400.(though that would be $4 back! ;))

[quote name='gaelan']opening up a charge card will not affect you FICO score[/QUOTE]

You obviously don't understand how your FICO score is calculated and determined.

[quote name='xbox_mole']You obviously don't understand how your FICO score is calculated and determined.[/QUOTE]

I think the entire point of your credit score is for you NOT to understand fully how its calculated. Its actually kind of funny, you can specifically ask someone in the credit business and they usually don't have a concrete, solid answer of how your credit score is determined.

[quote name='xbox_mole']You obviously don't understand how your FICO score is calculated and determined.[/QUOTE]

actually after owning two homes, working with customers set up business credit accounts and recently closing on a home purchase, i think i have a pretty good idea how they work.

why don't you let everyone know how many points will be deducted or added to you FICO when opening up a credit car.

[quote name='aoLat']I'm only 15, so I have no clue what you guys are arguing about! YAY!![/QUOTE]

Despite what they're teaching you in school, you aren't anything more than a number, your credit score, which is tied to your social security number. That's all you are, your not an individual, just a number.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I think the entire point of your credit score is for you NOT to understand fully how its calculated. Its actually kind of funny, you can specifically ask someone in the credit business and they usually don't have a concrete, solid answer of how your credit score is determined.[/QUOTE]

True unless you have done your research and/or know individuals who work for Fair Isaac.

bread's done
Back