Xbox 360 - Free Games With Gold (membership) question

After you purchase and download the free games can you delete them off your hard drive and still redownload them free later?

After you purchase and download the free games can you delete them off your hard drive and still redownload them free later?
Yes! Once you have "purchased" it (even if it's free) it is yours forever. You can re-download it at anytime, regardless of place or membership status.

I currently don't own them so I will be downloading them both.  I was thinking it was Crackdown 2 instead of Crackdown.  I was a little disappointed when I saw it was the first one.

Last I read it was only till the one came out, but you could keep the games even if you weren't a gold member after you downloaded them.

Last I read it was only till the one came out, but you could keep the games even if you weren't a gold member after you downloaded them.
M$ spokehead said that they possibly might extend it after the end of the year (the current release says it ends in December)

I'd definitely put money on them keeping it going. Doesn't mean they will start giving away more recent games like PS+ does, but I'm actually happy to trade newer games for being able to keep then if you sub expire. I'm thinking about letting Gold go when it expires later next month, at least I can keep my free stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realize Games for Gold was a limited time thing. It will be interesting to see what other games are released and if they keep it going past January. My Gold Subscription ends in April 2014 and right now I don't plan to renew. If the Games for Gold turns into something, I'd totally keep it.

I was thinking of just renewing until the end of November. I didn't think of the possibility of this promotion going further than the end of November. 

Maybe a 1 year membership may not be a complete waste of money if the games are good, even though I don't play multiplayer/online.

I was thinking of just renewing until the end of November. I didn't think of the possibility of this promotion going further than the end of November.

Maybe a 1 year membership may not be a complete waste of money if the games are good, even though I don't play multiplayer/online.
They have stated a few times that it will go until at least the end of the year. Major Nelson said that its possible that they continue it longer. But many official press releases have said 12/31/2013

I'm thinking one of the Forzas will be soon. That's based on the upcoming game plus the DLC that's been reduced recently. Just a guess tho.

i will give ms credit where it's due the games they have given for free so far have been great selection it was fun going back to a great game in ac2 and was able to play crackdown for first tie and fable 3 is amazing game. 

I expect a twisted pixel game now that M$ acquired them. If they do throw in a kinect game I hope its gunstringer. Such a fun light game that's just a good play that many have missed.

Gunstringer was available with Fruit Ninja Kinect or the other way around. I got Fruit Ninja digitally so I didn't get in on the deal but yeah I picked up Gunstringer on sale, fun game. I have this thing with Twisted Pixel games though, really there's a common theme of gameplay that just hits 80% on my fun o meter. The games are good but I don't really enjoy them as others.

Yeh at one point you got fruit ninja with gunstringer. I got it at BBY a week after release for $10 (back when they had the massive unbeatable sales).

Any word yet on the next freebie? Hope it's not a kinect game as I don't own a kinect. Aaand not a twisted pixel game, not a fan of any of their games either...lol. If the games stink this time, like AC2, then I may have to hold off resubscribing to live till something good comes along for free.

Tried to pick up DR2 and I couldn't "purchase" it for free without having a credit card on file with Xbox Live. :bomb:

I have plenty of points and was able to do it with the previous entries without a credit card on-file, though this time around, wouldn't work without a credit card.

Also, the discounted DLC can't be bought with points, only with real money.   Change Payment Options doesn't do anything for the DLC, unfortunately. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol that actually works out for me, I've picked up two Magic the Gathering games and was like nah I'll just pass on 2013 when they released that one.

Rainbow Six Vegas is in my backlog lol. I started playing it, did a few missions and then played something else I guess.

Ah good, I can totally wait to resubscribe then since I've got zero interest in either September game, so may as well wait till the October game titles are known.

bread's done
Back