Xbox 360 Harddrive

pentapenguin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hi everyone.

I'm going to try to snag a 360 at the great Microcenter price soon (hopefully!). But I have a question. To be honest, I'm leaning towards the Core system since it's cheaper and just buy component cables separately. I realize that I need a hard drive for Live content and for storing music, etc. So here's my question: are there any good rumors that a newer bigger hard drive will come out for the 360? I don't want to buy a system with a puny 20GB drive just to have a bigger one come out a little while later. It would seem with the video downloads from Live that they would have to put out a bigger HDD soon since the PS3 has a 60GB drive. 20 gigs just doesn't go far these days. ;) Thanks!

[quote name='pentapenguin']Hi everyone.

I'm going to try to snag a 360 at the great Microcenter price soon (hopefully!). But I have a question. To be honest, I'm leaning towards the Core system since it's cheaper and just buy component cables separately. I realize that I need a hard drive for Live content and for storing music, etc. So here's my question: are there any good rumors that a newer bigger hard drive will come out for the 360? I don't want to buy a system with a puny 20GB drive just to have a bigger one come out a little while later. It would seem with the video downloads from Live that they would have to put out a bigger HDD soon since the PS3 has a 60GB drive. 20 gigs just doesn't go far these days. ;) Thanks![/QUOTE]

the official MS answer is 'No larger HD in the forseeable future'

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/08-11-2006-4011.html

but it's not improbable..

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/microsoft/xbox-360-hard-drive-leaked-at-70-gigs-212862.php

[quote name='PKRipp3r']the official MS answer is 'No larger HD in the forseeable future'

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/08-11-2006-4011.html

but it's not improbable..

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/microsoft/xbox-360-hard-drive-leaked-at-70-gigs-212862.php[/quote]

People need to stop posting that link! ITS ONLY FOR DEV KITS!

To the OP: I suggest springing for the premium, the hardrive is 100 dollars but what do you suggest for saving games? A memory card and a set of component cables will cost a pretty penny and you will lose the wireless controller, which IMO is an AMAZING feature, especially sicne its one button to turn on the console and such. The HDD will also let you to downlaod demos!

[quote name='help1']People need to stop posting that link! ITS ONLY FOR DEV KITS!

To the OP: I suggest springing for the premium, the hardrive is 100 dollars but what do you suggest for saving games? A memory card and a set of component cables will cost a pretty penny and you will lose the wireless controller, which IMO is an AMAZING feature, especially sicne its one button to turn on the console and such. The HDD will also let you to downlaod demos![/QUOTE]

it's the prevailing consensus of opinion that it's only for the dev kits

that's not a known fact

hence my note that it's not improbable

What they really need to do is allow people to store downloaded movies and demos on external USB hard drives. They probably never will though, because the content providers are too afraid of someone renting a movie and using their pc to break the copyright.

So instead, we are forced to buy some expensive upgrade down the road.

To answer the OP's question, I would go with the Premium just for the component cables and wireless controller, and look at the 20 gb hard drive as bonus. If you don't need the component cables, or plan on getting a VGA cable, then go with the core.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product_id=802111

Component cables are $40 just by themselves.[/quote] My local Wal-Mart has Monster licensed component cables on clearance for just $15.

[quote name='help1']
To the OP: I suggest springing for the premium, the hardrive is 100 dollars but what do you suggest for saving games? A memory card and a set of component cables will cost a pretty penny and you will lose the wireless controller, which IMO is an AMAZING feature, especially sicne its one button to turn on the console and such. The HDD will also let you to downlaod demos![/quote] I have to admit that downloadable demos are a great thing...but actually I don't mind the wired controller since I could use it with my PC and not have to buy an additional accessory.

Oh a question BTW: do you have to have a hard drive to use it as a Media Center Extender? Anybody know?

[quote name='pentapenguin']Oh a question BTW: do you have to have a hard drive to use it as a Media Center Extender? Anybody know?[/quote]No, I have a core and was using it exclusively as an extender before I bought a storage device.

I can second the garuntee of your need for a HDD. The memory card will suffice for just a basic console experience--just game saves. The HDD enables you to take advantage of some of the key features of Xbox Live: downloading new game trailers, demos, and ESPECIALLY Arcade games. It's really not worth missing out on that for an extra $60 or $70 when you add in buying the memory card with core system.

bread's done
Back