XBox 360 HD-DVD Player pre-orders @ Frys.com

me thinks there is no need to preorder this one. price + other new systems= no new add on for me

I doubt this will be hard to find.

Every day that passes makes me able to tolerate waiting more for HD-DVD and allows me to appreciate upscaled DVD quality.

I want HD, that's for certain, but I can wait until there's a winner in this race.

[quote name='TiKi2']This will push the xbox 360 to $600 might as well go with a sony ps3.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone buys a 360 just because it's lower priced. Plus the PS3 doesn't offer DVD upscaling and from what I've heard HD-DVDs are a bit better than Blu-Rays.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Not everyone buys a 360 just because it's lower priced. Plus the PS3 doesn't offer DVD upscaling and from what I've heard HD-DVDs are a bit better than Blu-Rays.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that the Xbox 360 does DVD upscaling or the HD-DVD addon?

[quote name='kraid']Are you saying that the Xbox 360 does DVD upscaling or the HD-DVD addon?[/QUOTE]

I'd assume what he's saying is that some people might just prefer the 360. The 360 upscales DVD's to 480p by default...with the latest update and a 360 VGA cable, they've enabled DVD upscaling to 720p, 1080i, and (I think) 1080p.

None of this requires the HD-DVD add-on, mind you...it's just something else that's possible on the 360.

The add-on is interesting, but I'll hold out until I read a few reviews...can't be wasting money on 1st/2nd gen hardware if there's no real benefit.

Amazon hasn't had it in stock for awhile. Yes, the 360 upscales to 1080p now. That said, I'm still most likely going to get this. Native HD is better than upscaled. Well, as long as I can afford one while it still comes with the monkey movie. If not, I will probably wait. Really hoping to pick one up at launch though, if my finances come through. And HD-DVD is better than Blu-Ray. There's already 150% as many titles on HD as blu ray, many are on both formats, and only sony titles will stick with exclusive blu ray. HD will win, if either does, for one simple reason: cost of production. The last I read blu ray discs cost around 40 times as much to produce as HD-DVDs. There aren't going to be any cheap blu rays any time soon. They simplely cost too much to produce. On the other hand, there are already sub-$20 HD-DVDs. As someone who bought his first DVD player in '98 for $500, and bought more than a few $50 a pop DVDs back then, the cost of HD-DVD doesn't look all that bad. Even for gaming, HD is better, at least at this point. Blu ray discs hold a little more, but HD discs access MUCH faster. Congrats to all those buying a PS3. Enjoy your PSP-like load times.

[quote name='Manji']I'd assume what he's saying is that some people might just prefer the 360. The 360 upscales DVD's to 480p by default...with the latest update and a 360 VGA cable, they've enabled DVD upscaling to 720p, 1080i, and (I think) 1080p.

None of this requires the HD-DVD add-on, mind you...it's just something else that's possible on the 360.

The add-on is interesting, but I'll hold out until I read a few reviews...can't be wasting money on 1st/2nd gen hardware if there's no real benefit.[/QUOTE]

Mostly right, DVDs are natively 480p so that doesn't requite upscaling. But with a VGA cable (which I'm using) DVDs are upscaled to 1080p (without needing an HD-DVD player).

I think I read Sams Club might get some....maybe only 4 per store for like $180 or a little more.

I'm still curious when the release date is. EBgames/Amazon says 11/7 and 11/8 SHIP date. Best Buy.com has it up now and it says 11/15. I may just check the online inventory when the time comes.

i dont own an xbox 360 but something like this would probably get me to buy in. Tho really i am in no rush at all, i will probably wait and see which format ultimately becomes the mainstream format, a lot of people predicted that laserdiscs would be better than the dvd format and would become the preferred choice. i just dont want to commit to one or the other just yet

bread's done
Back