Xbox 360 issues.. HELP!! Seeking advice!

SMY36738

CAGiversary!
Feedback
370 (100%)
I have had my Xbox 360 for around 3 and a half years or so. So far so good... well until last night. I have one flashing red light (this unit has NEVER had any problems until now) and I get the error message E 73. At this point, I am wondering if it is even worth repairing for $100-120. What is even more aggravating is that I just bought a 250 gig HD! GRR!!

Any tips, or suggestions would be really great right now.

Thanks!

Sean

its the ethernet port from what i gather. look like you either have to send to ms or buy a new one unless you trust yourself enough to replace it yourself

Did this happen after you inserted your "new" HD? I remember getting some error (not sure exactly what) after accidently inserting my old 20GB one time. I switched back my 120GB and everything was fine.

If you cannot solve the issue on your own, I would consider getting a new 4GB slim model, buying the slim HDD casing, and putting your new 250GB into the casing. I really like the new slim model over my original one :)

[quote name='AZR43L']Did this happen after you inserted your "new" HD? I remember getting some error (not sure exactly what) after accidently inserting my old 20GB one time. I switched back my 120GB and everything was fine.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. My xbox has been great and I got the new HD in early January. So far it has been fine. Maybe I will put the 20 gig in to see what happens?

[quote name='LottaGames']*cough* PS3 *cough*[/QUOTE]

I already have a PS3. I don't discriminate ;)

Me buying a new system is fucked up in so many ways. WHY should I have too? GRRR!

trust me i know the feeling, im on xbox 360 #19 (since launch), ive bought 3 and had microsoft send me 15, the newest one is a 250g slim kinect bundle my mother in law gave us for christmas.

[quote name='wesdw369']trust me i know the feeling, im on xbox 360 #19 (since launch), ive bought 3 and had microsoft send me 15, the newest one is a 250g slim kinect bundle my mother in law gave us for christmas.[/QUOTE]

:shock:

If you can't fix it on your own, I'd just get a new one. No use sending it into Microsoft only to get a new/refurbished Xbox that is going to break down in another year....

[quote name='wesdw369']all of my fixes were in warranty so as long as its in warranty let ms fix it, if not replace it[/QUOTE]

My xbox isn't in warranty. I wish they would just fix my unit and send it back. I don't want a refurbished unit. I use the HDMI kit that someone bought me, so if a non-HDMI unit came back- that would be a problem for me.

It will cost me $100-120 to get it fixed (plus wait a month, which is okay) and attempt to sell my new 250 gig HD.... or buy a new Xbox 360 250 gig slim for $300....

Is the slim backwards compatible? Is there any problems with it? Ugh..

the slim is as backwards compatible as your 360, and just like it you need a hard drive to have bc which means the 4g alone wont do it

I'm on my 6th Xbox 360 since launch. They have all broken in some way or another and I take good care of my stuff; so it's not anything I'm doing. They're just built to burn up and break. I've had several nightmare encounters with Microsoft's customer service department because all but 1 of the systems were under warranty. I've had both the new and old versions of the system break on me in some way or another.
I purchased a PS3 at launch as well. It has been used and played more than all 6 of my xbox 360's combined and it's still running and playing beautifuly.
My advice would be to buy a PS3. It's a much better piece of hardware.

[quote name='180360']I'm on my 6th Xbox 360 since launch. They have all broken in some way or another and I take good care of my stuff; so it's not anything I'm doing. They're just built to burn up and break. I've had several nightmare encounters with Microsoft's customer service department because all but 1 of the systems were under warranty. I've had both the new and old versions of the system break on me in some way or another.
I purchased a PS3 at launch as well. It has been used and played more than all 6 of my xbox 360's combined and it's still running and playing beautifuly.
My advice would be to buy a PS3. It's a much better piece of hardware.[/QUOTE]

I already have a PS3... So far so good!

to be honest the slim hasnt been out long enough nor have most people had theirs long enough to compare, but getting it repaired is a hit and miss kind of thing, ive had friends that had theirs repaired at launch and still havent had an issue and ive had friends whose have broken down a few times since

[quote name='wesdw369']to be honest the slim hasnt been out long enough nor have most people had theirs long enough to compare, but getting it repaired is a hit and miss kind of thing, ive had friends that had theirs repaired at launch and still havent had an issue and ive had friends whose have broken down a few times since[/QUOTE]

Blah....

If you buy a slim be forewarned that you will need to modify your HDD to fit in the new console. It's not a huge issue but something I thought I'd throw out there.

A slim would be the better investment. If it costs $100-$200 per repair and you're newly repaired one breaks down you'll either spend more money or be pretty close to the cost of a new Slim. I'd just bite the bullet and by a new Slim.

Jasper (Fat) 360's are usually not prone to getting red ringed. Anyways, if you plan on repairing it, I would say it will red ring again sooner or later. Just buy a slim. I had my slim since launch (250GB) and it's still running strong.

Go for the Slim. This one might or might not get repaired and will set you back by almost the same amount. Might as well have something new at that price.

Ok I may have missed something, but everyone always jumps to buying a new 360 if something is up with the old one. I have an old 20g xbox which has shown errors before with red lights in multiple fashions, but it has always been something simple. Check everything out good first before worrying about chucking it out. In my experience I have had errors just due to the cables not being plugged in fully. Just a suggestion.

edit* Oh and yeah xbox repairs can be hit or miss. I know some guys at a pc shop who have had great success repairing 360's themselves. But there are really no guarantees.

Yet another option...

If you haven't already, you can hock your E73 on eBay or maybe craigslist and get a few bucks for it to put towards the 360S.

I have a friend who has 4 Xbox 360's in their house. They were all bought at different times and he has sent all of them back to MS. I think now between the 4 of them they have been sent back 13 times. That is just insane that a system would have so many problems.

Same friend has had a PS3 since launch date and has never had a problem.

[quote name='Bumslie']I have a friend who has 4 Xbox 360's in their house. They were all bought at different times and he has sent all of them back to MS. I think now between the 4 of them they have been sent back 13 times. That is just insane that a system would have so many problems.

Same friend has had a PS3 since launch date and has never had a problem.[/QUOTE]

Actually, one has never been sent back, and the grand total is 15 times.

bread's done
Back