Xbox 360 Premium in stock at CC.com ($400)

it's been like that since the beginning of the week. Once you get all the way through the checkout and hit submit, it tells you it can't complete the order. I've tried. A lot.

How long does Microsoft think that people who don't own an xbox 360 will stay interested and wait? I would have purchased one had they been available here in January, but now I think I just bought into the hype.

Should we really still be seeing shortages six months into the system's life?

[quote name='BarrettSan']
Should we really still be seeing shortages six months into the system's life?[/quote]

In my opinion, yes. You have to remember that the 360s are brand new- new technology using new fabrication methods. They simply can't produce 2 million 360s a month. They just can't ramp up production to that capacity.

Actually, they can ramp it up, but they won't- no company in their right mind would. One of the biggest costs in producing manufactured goods is to choose an optimum level of production. Too much production capacity, and you have invested way too much into production facilities that will soon be in disuse when all the demand is satisfied and you still have huge capacity- a waste of money.

MS is doing what they can- releasing product as fast as they are produced using production capacity that isn't meant to immediately fulfill demand of over 5 million units (a random number that comes to my mind). Their other option was to stockpile millions of xbox 360s before releasing them to retail. I rather like their choice of selling whatever they have on hand, instead of waiting for a sizable stockpile.

I've read one economist's view on this that says that MS should have charged much more (closer to Christams ebay prices) for the initial run of xbox 360s and cut prices to approximate demand. But if I were MS (or any other company that makes products that require a certain level of critical mass before it can really start making money) I wouldn't have changed the pricing either. Sure, the shortage irritates and angers some people, but it's good for marketing.

Plus, if you REALLY wanted an xbox 360, we've all had ample opportunities now to get one- Pay an extra $50 on ebay (obviously it was much more earlier), get to bestbuy/circuit city/etc. on the day of shipment (I just did this last week and got one the evening of one of the shipment days), or stay in line for an awful long time (I did this too on launch day, ended up ebaying it).

[quote name='BarrettSan']

Should we really still be seeing shortages six months into the system's life?[/QUOTE]

yes, if it's buggy, freezes a lot and has all kinds of issues with various games. seems like they still need to fine tune a lot of things.

This whole buggy issue happens with every new system and the xbox 360 is actualy smaller then the PS2's problems, which were extreemly widespread. I bought a year of warrenty on my 360 just in case and i havent needed to use it yet.

[quote name='abhinav']This whole buggy issue happens with every new system and the xbox 360 is actualy smaller then the PS2's problems, which were extreemly widespread. I bought a year of warrenty on my 360 just in case and i havent needed to use it yet.[/QUOTE]

it didnt happen with the genesis, saturn, gamecube, snes, n64 etc(it only happens with sony and microsoft consoles, their launch systems are all buggy as hell, better to wait a couple of years until they get better at making the systems and have loads of cheap games, it pays to wait)

[quote name='dracula']it didnt happen with the genesis, saturn, gamecube, snes, n64 etc(it only happens with sony and microsoft consoles, their launch systems are all buggy as hell, better to wait a couple of years until they get better at making the systems and have loads of cheap games, it pays to wait)[/quote]

Thats because nintendo rocks. I dunno but it happens. Even the DS was caught up in that whole "dead pixel" dealie.

[quote name='Apossum']yes, if it's buggy, freezes a lot and has all kinds of issues with various games. seems like they still need to fine tune a lot of things.[/QUOTE]

I've had the system since December and I have had no issues with lockups, freezes, etc.

However, it is just starting to get games that I really want like GRAW and Oblivion.

[quote name='abhinav']Thats because nintendo rocks. I dunno but it happens. Even the DS was caught up in that whole "dead pixel" dealie.[/QUOTE]

At least Nintendo immediately offered to replace any systems with dead pixels for free. Sony did not offer the same with the PSP.

[quote name='mbstuff']

MS is doing what they can- releasing product as fast as they are produced using production capacity that isn't meant to immediately fulfill demand of over 5 million units (a random number that comes to my mind). Their other option was to stockpile millions of xbox 360s before releasing them to retail. I rather like their choice of selling whatever they have on hand, instead of waiting for a sizable stockpile.

I've read one economist's view on this that says that MS should have charged much more (closer to Christams ebay prices) for the initial run of xbox 360s and cut prices to approximate demand. But if I were MS (or any other company that makes products that require a certain level of critical mass before it can really start making money) I wouldn't have changed the pricing either. Sure, the shortage irritates and angers some people, but it's good for marketing.

[/QUOTE]

They ought to have sold them directly to consumers (but retailers would have hated them).

I think MS got caught in a poor spot in the year. If they had had the system ready earlier in the year they could have stockpiled more systems. Because they were chasing Xmas 2005, they didn't have enough systems and the quality was lacking.

semi off topic...

but would anyone recommend ordering a 360 from an online store that does not have retail stores in that state..

would that waive the sales tax?

I'm waiting until at least October. Maybe by then, there will be a price drop (doubt it), and the reported issues will be cleared up. Also, I'm hoping there will be a couple of CAGs for the 360 by then.

To anyone looking, I'd hold off until next month: there's a rumor floating around that Microsoft is replacing the 20 GB HDD with a 100 GB one in the Premium bundle, which would make sense considering a lot of people have already filled their 20's.

http://www.gametab.com/news/507922/

[quote name='Gamerguy']To anyone looking, I'd hold off until next month: there's a rumor floating around that Microsoft is replacing the 20 GB HDD with a 100 GB one in the Premium bundle, which would make sense considering a lot of people have already filled their 20's.

http://www.gametab.com/news/507922/[/QUOTE]

I heard of this too but it makes absolutely no sense. The systems are still selling out and now MS wants to lose even more money on each system?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']At least Nintendo immediately offered to replace any systems with dead pixels for free. Sony did not offer the same with the PSP.[/quote]

True, hence the Nintendo Rocks part. I was saying that to proove that launches are never smooth. M$ will also send you a brand new xbox 360 if your you dealie is glichy. Sony did the same thing with teh PS2 when it had thoes fan problems.

[quote name='OGHowie']I heard of this too but it makes absolutely no sense. The systems are still selling out and now MS wants to lose even more money on each system?[/quote]Improving the gigabytes of the hard drtive isn't costly and could gain alot of sales.

[quote name='miyamotofreak']Improving the gigabytes of the hard drtive isn't costly and could gain alot of sales.[/QUOTE]

But the system already sells out?

It would make more sense to make any changes, price drops, etc. closer to the PS3 launch.

[quote name='Gamerguy']To anyone looking, I'd hold off until next month: there's a rumor floating around that Microsoft is replacing the 20 GB HDD with a 100 GB one in the Premium bundle, which would make sense considering a lot of people have already filled their 20's.

http://www.gametab.com/news/507922/[/QUOTE]
I’m not sure how much I believe this rumor, but My Xbox 360 is reporting that the premium Xbox 360 pack is getting an upgrade in April.

[quote name='Gametab']Apparently, at the start of April, Premium packs will start shipping with 5x the HDD size of their predecessors. Cool for those who are about to buy a 360; very uncool for those who already picked theirs up.

They say the rumor comes from a Best Buy employee who works at a store in New Jersey. The employee adds that Best Buy is having some big sale in early April as well.

The fact that this tip is supposed to come true on April Fools Day doesn’t lend it much credence. I’m leaning toward it being fake. I’d think any sort of free upgrade or price drop would be timed closer to the release of the PS3, not while the 360 is still selling out at the current price.[/QUOTE]

lol good one

It bewilders me that people are still going out and buying this thing.

I mean, if you waited this long, why not just wait for some solid must have titles and a price drop? =P

[quote name='nikkai']It bewilders me that people are still going out and buying this thing.

I mean, if you waited this long, why not just wait for some solid must have titles and a price drop? =P[/quote]

I agree...not so much on the price drop part, but there's definitely nothing that I *must* play on this thing to warrant a purchase at the moment.

[quote name='dragonjud']I agree...not so much on the price drop part, but there's definitely nothing that I *must* play on this thing to warrant a purchase at the moment.[/quote]

if you like fighting games, go play DOA4, then you'll have a reason....That's my reason anyway

I'm really hoping there will be a good amount of premium systems out by april or may. By then I should have the $650 required for a 360 and all the other goodies.

bread's done
Back