Xbox 360 Preorders (Amazon/TRU, Costco, EB, GameRush, GameStop, Ritz, Sams, Walmart)

[quote name='TurkeyOnRye']I blame this on every person who camped out and made rushes for a PS2. Yes I love my system and yes it's worth every penny, but I waited a year or so. I didn't worry about getting on the newest system just to have bragging rights... I was content with finishing out the current gen.

This, simply put, is stores riding the hype that the PS2 and X-Box started.

Besides, you know that within a year or less, you can buy a plain ol' X-Box 360 without the bundle crap (and possibly with a price reduction). I'm sure there's enough current-gen stuff to satisfy you for the next year. And if there's not, you're playing too many damn games. Go get a job or take a walk or something.

Oh, and $2,000 for the Omega bundle? I understand that some people will want to buy every game and every accessory that comes out... but will all of that add up to $2,000? I'm not about to do the math.... but that's fishy.[/QUOTE]

I don't buy new systems for bragging rights. I buy them because I love games. Plain and simple. The thought of playing Oblivion/PGR3/Saint's Row in 720p/1080i is more than enough to get me to buy. I've pre-ordered game systems since the SNES and I've never regretted it.

yeah, im with you on the waiting part...expecially after they said "price drops every year"

i mean, do i really need a new system for one or two games right now?

i think im just going to hold out (first time not buying a console on its release week) and buy it later on down the road

[quote name='Cyb3-rr']I don't buy new systems for bragging rights. I buy them because I love games. Plain and simple. The thought of playing Oblivion/PGR3/Saint's Row in 720p/1080i is more than enough to get me to buy. I've pre-ordered game systems since the SNES and I've never regretted it.[/QUOTE]

Ditto I could care less about bragging rights, this system will have a great launch even if only half of the scheduled games make release. Cant wait to play this thing in its full surround sound 720p beauty. I could give a crap what anyone else thinks.

No bungle for me. To the dismay of the overnight campers, I was able to go to the local Target with the original Xbox and get in line, one hour before store opening, for #13 of the 15 they got in. I did buy two games but it wasn't a requirement. This bundle stuff is for the chumps that are afraid of missing out on the first round.

It was nice to have XB#1 right away but it needed repar twice due to problems that plagued the first retail version of Xbox.

I am going to avoid the bundles, and potential first run technical problems, and wait a few months. When PS3 launches, the price on a XB360 will probably drop a bit too.

[quote name='xbob']No bungle for me. To the dismay of the overnight campers, I was able to go to the local Target with the original Xbox and get in line, one hour before store opening, for #13 of the 15 they got in. I did buy two games but it wasn't a requirement. This bundle stuff is for the chumps that are afraid of missing out on the first round.

It was nice to have XB#1 right away but it needed repar twice due to problems that plagued the first retail version of Xbox.

I am going to avoid the bundles, and potential first run technical problems, and wait a few months. When PS3 launches, the price on a XB360 will probably drop a bit too.[/QUOTE]

Apparantly the PS3 might not launch in north america until late 2006 or possibly even 2007. That's just a rumor, but something to consider. If the japanese aren't even getting it until Spring 2006, it'll be a while before it comes here. If you live in Europe it'll probably be even longer.

Screw that. Not only do you have to take a leap of faith on the quality of the console but also on 5 games that are launch titles. Most launches don't have more than 3 or 4 quality games, This is plain crazy

You have to remember it's this way with every console, first they try to push a bundle on you at any cost to get your money. And then after half a year, usually the price gets dropped.

The only reason to get a console when it comes out is when you can a) get a good deal on it b) don't have to buy a bundle and can pick whatever you want (besides, 1k for a games console with games, thats crazy).

I mean, there's always people who want the latest thing NOW, but are they really a cheapassgamer? ;)

yeah, im with you on the waiting part...expecially after they said "price drops every year"

Actually, I found an article on Gamespot that says the "annual cost cuts" quote from MS was from a financial paper and was refering to cuts in manufacturing costs, not the retail cost. However, Gamespot does mention that price drops are normal within the first year and especially in the XBOX 360's case with the PS3 launch coming. So, it may happen (and probably will), but not 100% certain.

As a side note, I used some of my Gamerush credit and preordered a 360 there (No bundle & a midnight launch) a while back on the very day I saw it was in their systems, thanks to this board. I was #7 on the call list that day, but the first to put the $100 down. I guess I'm not as cheapass as I thought I was.

Gamespot Article Link

I plan on getting the system and just going with good old online rentals for 20 bucks a month. I don't need to buy 5 games that i prolly won't play. I learned that with the orginal xbox. The only game i bought i liked was halo and the other 4 where a waste. They always looks good before launch but most end up sucking.

I'll pick up elder scrolls at launch since that will soak up time while i wait for my online rentals and such. Saves you money.

I was preorder number 4 at my local EB Games. And they won't be doing any bundle crap. I work at CC, but when the PSP came out, they didn't let employees buy one (even though the PSP sold like utter crap, we sold 4 of the 125 we got in).

So I'm going to buy my Xbox 360 and one or two games at EB Games. I will buy my accessories (controllers) at CC since I can get a good discount on those.

[quote name='crewj'] i've lost the hardcore gamer in me, (i've got tons of sealed games waiting) it's more frustration that prices are going up and yes, of course the systems look good, but it's still nothing to call home about.

we'll see.[/QUOTE]

crewj is right on: I've got so many games to play and I'm waiting on others to get cheap.

I guess there are a few reasons to get a 360 at launch:

1) Hardcore, you always buy hardware at launch because you always do
2) Resell it on ebay to make a quick $100 (best and worst reason at the same time)
3) Restless about the current games . . . they don't measure up any longer
4) Big fan of Xbox and Live (does look like there were be some nice advances on this point)

To me, the jump from the PS1 and N64 to the current gen was a great one . . . and it made some sense to get a GC, Xbox, or PS2 (in its 2nd year) because the changes were soo great and the games were much better (GTA3, Halo, Rogue Squadron . . . Pikmin . . . Super Monkey Ball . . . alright, the case was tougher for GC :)).

None of the above 4 reasons above apply to me . . . so I'll wait the same way I skipped the PS2 launch. It just doesn't make sense to me to shell out the dough at this point. Plus, I want to see what Sony does and I don't want to buy both in their first few years. I will undoubtly own both (all three?) down the line but no hurry.

But to each his or her own

Cant i just buy the premium pack for the 360? i dont want like 3 games. i think i might just get one at launch cause i dont got the money to shell out for like 3 of em. can i get the premium pack at Target?

joeyacac from Fatwallet reports that RitzCamera.com is selling the Xbox 360 at lowest price on the interweb. I think both systems includes a faceplate, but I'm not sure why the Core is more than MSRP.

"Shipping is listed as low as $6.49 for ground shipping (7-10 days)"

Core: $350
http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13328755&storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001

Premium: $419
http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13328756&storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001

I don't know why, but I'm very leary of ordering from RitzCamera. Like they're either going to cancel it, it will take FOREVER to get to me, or some other general fuckup.

Yeah, the price looks good but RitzCamera does not have a very good rating at resellerratings.com. (Although, to be fair, they don't have very many ratings. Only 71 total, so that's not much to go on).

Still, I'm not sure I'd order from them given their low rating. :whistle2:k

Almost all of their low ratings come from returns or pricematches... neither of which will likely apply to Xbox 360 preorders.

I went for it.

Don't bother calling them because they can't answer ANY questions for the 360 except that they are selling them. Sounded to me like they'd take as many orders as possible then ship what they actually get in. In other words just because you got in on it doesn't mean you'll have it at launch for before Christmas for that matter.

i just got my gamestop preorder in. i was perfectly content just waiting to see if i could snag a console in early december, but something about hearing "last day to preorder" motivated me to break down and drop my 50 bucks. im so weak....

Clerk: "Any games you wanna preorder while you are at it? here is the list..."
GyCot: "Oooh collectors edition Oblivion, whats the bonuses?"
Clerk: "No idea, they havent told us yet."
GyCot: "I'll take it!"

(for those playing the home game, the collectors edition apparently has
* Collector's Edition Content:
- Pocket Guide to the Empire
- Making of Oblivion Documentary
- Septim Gold Coin ) (maybe i should rethink that....)

[quote name='CheapyD']joeyacac from Fatwallet reports that RitzCamera.com is selling the Xbox 360 at lowest price on the interweb. I think both systems includes a faceplate, but I'm not sure why the Core is more than MSRP.

Core: $350
http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13328755&storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13328756&storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001[/QUOTE]

Uhm, looks like the premium version is $20 more too. I could be wrong but I thought ALL systems come with a faceplate. It's just the plain one.

Just tried to add the xbox 360 to my cart at sams club website and I get a The item that you selected is not available message so that seems dead as are the two ultimate bundles at amazon

It might be $20 more but tax on it in California would have been $35 so it actually works out well anyways.

[quote name='CheapyD']joeyacac from Fatwallet reports that RitzCamera.com is selling the Xbox 360 at lowest price on the interweb. I think both systems includes a faceplate, but I'm not sure why the Core is more than MSRP.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13328756&storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001[/QUOTE]

It does state in Ritz' ad for the Premium system that it includes one *WIRELESS* controller. Wonder if that's the difference...

Fight back against the bundles!

If you have a 360 on pre-reserve (actually, any system, even for the PS3 or Revolution when they're released), then show up and buy all your essentials piecemeal. Separate receipts/orders for every item you purchase that night; system, games, peripherals. The idea of bundles is to increase a company's "attach rate" to the system artificially by only offering to sell it with games and peripherals.

You (yes, you!) can help to fight against this by lowering the company's attach rate overall. Also, this will tend to clog up the lines and slow down business on release day. Tell the store managers why you're doing it, and that they should pass the recommendation upwards to whoever in corporate manages the e-commerce.

[quote name='bookishboy']Fight back against the bundles!

You (yes, you!) can help to fight against this by lowering the company's attach rate overall. Also, this will tend to clog up the lines and slow down business on release day. Tell the store managers why you're doing it, and that they should pass the recommendation upwards to whoever in corporate manages the e-commerce.[/QUOTE]

While I'm all for doing away with these stupid bundles, I don't think I'd wanna be doing anything to hold up the line at a store where I'm buying a 360. I know I certainly wouldn't appreciate it if somebody did that while I was waiting in line to purchase my 360! :bomb:

I just wanna buy it and get in and out of the store as quickly as possible.

[quote name='RoadDogg']http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=4213561

Walmart has a 4th bundle. It has 3 games 2 controllers year of live and a face plate. Not great, but its in stock for those curious.[/QUOTE]

It does say in stock, and it does say it will ship the item on release date... but how do we know for sure?

it seems pretty late in the pre-order timespan for this to be real. when they say "we will ship this on release date", is it followed by a hidden qualifier of "that is, if we have any left in stock from the first shipment we get"? what do you think are the actual chances of getting this bundle delivered shortly after release?

I walked into the Costo in Winter Park on Sunday and asked if they would have any 360's available (since the online link died.) They checked the computer and could find the bundle in the "Online" section but not in the "B&M" section of the database, so they couldn't sell me one. So... looks like you may still have a chance at B&M Costco, if you are a member, once they add it to their system.

i went to target, best buy, and toys r us and they said they arent taking reserves. its first come first serve.which is bullshit...(only reward zone members can reserve at best buy...)

[quote name='konicki465']i went to target, best buy, and toys r us and they said they arent taking reserves. its first come first serve.which is bullshit...(only reward zone members can reserve at best buy...)[/QUOTE]
Isn't Reward Zone only ten bucks or something like that? Worth it if you want to guarantee it, I would think.

Isn't Reward Zone only ten bucks or something like that? Worth it if you want to guarantee it, I would think.

I asked at my local Best Buy (have one preordered at GR, but curious) about this. They said that from what they read, only certain reward zone members will be sent e-mails inviting them to preorder the 360. He thinks they will look at previous purchases like systems & video games and send the e-mail to only those members since they are proven VG buyers.

I have gone against all my beliefs ... I preordered the Costco bundle before it sold out. Hopefully, I will get PGR3, if not then I guess they will replace it with something else? On top of that I will probably order two other games. I will probably get a FPS and something else in another genre. No way I will order a sports game though. I will not be buying any other games until next year for sure. Anyways, the whole thing is a XMAS present to myself :p

[quote name='pistonfan']I asked at my local Best Buy (have one preordered at GR, but curious) about this. They said that from what they read, only certain reward zone members will be sent e-mails inviting them to preorder the 360. He thinks they will look at previous purchases like systems & video games and send the e-mail to only those members since they are proven VG buyers.[/QUOTE]
I heard this same thing as well. Pretty lame. I really don't see why they can't just open it up to all members. I mean, how many Reward Zone members are there, anyways? I mean, I'm one, but it's not exactly a popular program. I doubt it'll even be around in a couple more years.

[quote name='opportunity777']I have gone against all my beliefs ... I preordered the Costco bundle before it sold out. :p[/QUOTE]

:cry:

You ... paid ... full price?

Are you going to pay full price for the x360 games?

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']:cry:

Are you going to pay full price for the x360 games?[/QUOTE]

I will probably buy two games right off the bat, so I don't get bored with the system. I will wait for mark downs to about $30 (probably 6 month wait or so) before I pick up anything else :p

I'm a cheapass too deep down inside, but I just "needed" the XBOX360 :)

If anyone ordered from Ritz Camera you'd better check your order. I just went to check mine on the website to see which shipping I chose and it said it was cancelled. So I called them and they said there was a problem with my order so they had to cancel it without notifying me or anything. They coudln't even tell me what the problem was for it to be cancelled. So I asked if it was the card I used to reserve it and she said that me credit card was fine and that there was just a problem with my order so they cancelled it. What a bunch of bullshit. Anyone else have this problem? I mean no explanation or email telling me what happened. I had a feeling they'd be a problem.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']:cry:

Are you going to pay full price for the x360 games?[/QUOTE]

Actually, unless my math is way off, the costco bundle is $40 below retail. I wish I had noticed this earlier...

[quote name='mietha']Actually, unless my math is way off, the costco bundle is $40 below retail. I wish I had noticed this earlier...[/QUOTE]\

It is the best bundle that seems to be offered, as long as you do want PGR3!

I decided to cancel the Ritz and go with the Costco. Somehow I have bad feelings about the Ritz coming through or not and I was going to need PGR3 and a extra controller anyways.

AFAIK, everything here in my town is sold out for pre-orders. Luckily, I live right next to a wal-mart and toys r us. Camp out a bit early, take 1 minute to drive home, and I'll be playing right away :D

Just ordered the Costco.com bundle. It is $40 under retail, but after shipping and tax in NY, it actually came in at $17.33 under retail. Still, that could go towards another game. Plus you can cancel anytime, they dont charge your credit card until they ship it, and they will credit you back the S&H charge if you return it in store or by mail. The refund of S&H was the deciding factor for me just incase I'm able to get one on launch date at Best Buy, Circuit City, or Toys R Us.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11091580&whse=&topnav=&cat=&s=1

I don't see why so many people are worried about Ritz. The only really negative comments are about difficult returns and pricematching.

Besides, Amazon -- a supposedly large, respectable company -- is the one that has screwed people over the most so far.

If Ritz cancels all orders and puts up a bundle, then yeah... I'll be angry. But for now, I'm just happy that I managed to get ahold of a preorder after Amazon's cancellation.

I guess what bugs me, besides them just cancelling my order, is that when you call them they have no idea what's going on with it. One lady actually told me that it was made by Sony. They just seem shady.

bread's done
Back