XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

[quote name='Rozz']Intercooler damage photos from the interwebs:

Torched360.jpg
[/quote]

Yea once MS sees this they will not repair it without charging you. Sorry I ment power supply instead of USB.

i actually tried RROD my 360 so i could get my disc drive repaired, but i kept only getting the 2 red lights. this seems like a new thing to me since i've gotten an actual RROD a while ago, so i'm guessing they changed something up so the xbox knows to shut down. at any rate i opened my xbox to fix the drive issue myself.

Elite RRoD'd today. Sad times. :whistle2:(

luckily I have a PS3, but the vast majority of my games are for 360. :whistle2:(

Before it died, I was just casually playing Halo 3, and the textures made a change in tint. After going back to the dashboard, there were inkblot - like images floating around on the 'system blade'. I am assuming this is a GPU error, but luckily after turning it off and back on it RRoD'd. This is covered, right? Also, since i'm sending an elite, what are the chances of me getting a NEW system?

From what I've gathered ( internet Sherlock ), the only way to really fix the 3ROD permanently is to do the x clamp fix .........when you have a completely fresh board. Only problem is that nobody is going to pay full price for a 360 that they open up immediately and lose support for. Also, there's no proof that the 360 won't die with the x clamp fix done on a fresh board.

Funny thing is is that the you can buy a kit for the fix online for 10-15 bucks, and it was figured out by a bunch of nerds over the internet. I'm wondering why Microsoft won't bite the bullet and do this on all new motherboards....Maybe they have. I'm not sure.

[quote name='untouchablemike']Elite RRoD'd today. Sad times. :whistle2:(

luckily I have a PS3, but the vast majority of my games are for 360. :whistle2:(

Before it died, I was just casually playing Halo 3, and the textures made a change in tint. After going back to the dashboard, there were inkblot - like images floating around on the 'system blade'. I am assuming this is a GPU error, but luckily after turning it off and back on it RRoD'd. This is covered, right? Also, since i'm sending an elite, what are the chances of me getting a NEW system?[/quote]

Yes. You send them an black Elite HDMI unit, they are going to send you a black HDMI unit. Brand new? refurbished? Who knows.

[quote name='GTzerO']From what I've gathered ( internet Sherlock ), the only way to really fix the 3ROD permanently is to do the x clamp fix .........when you have a completely fresh board. Only problem is that nobody is going to pay full price for a 360 that they open up immediately and lose support for. Also, there's no proof that the 360 won't die with the x clamp fix done on a fresh board.

Funny thing is is that the you can buy a kit for the fix online for 10-15 bucks, and it was figured out by a bunch of nerds over the internet. I'm wondering why Microsoft won't bite the bullet and do this on all new motherboards....Maybe they have. I'm not sure.[/quote]

Not many of us are circuit board savvy. It's too much of a risk to fix it if you don't know what the fuck your doing and I don't think MS is going to fix it if they find pieces out of place.

I'm wondering if I can pay someone to do it for me. You know, and set aside a couple hundred bucks so I can buy a new one just in case it screws up. It'd be interesting to see which one lasts longer.

EDIT: The repair services that I saw were pretty expensive. I'd be better off buying a new 360 ( i.e get buttfucked by Microsoft ) than worrying about if the fix will be permanent after a 100 dollar repair.

so my 360 got the RRoD last night when i was trying to play. i went on xobx.com/support to read more info about the problem and i registered it on xbox.com. it has been about one year since i bought my xbox and xbox.com said my xbox is out of warranty. my maufacturer date is like july 06, but i though MS gave out a free 3 year extended warranty to fix the problems of the RRoD??

so how can my xbox be out of warranty? i hope i wont have to pay to get it fixed cuz that would suck :cry:

[quote name='anarchyburger']so my 360 got the RRoD last night when i was trying to play. i went on xobx.com/support to read more info about the problem and i registered it on xbox.com. it has been about one year since i bought my xbox and xbox.com said my xbox is out of warranty. my maufacturer date is like july 06, but i though MS gave out a free 3 year extended warranty to fix the problems of the RRoD??

so how can my xbox be out of warranty? i hope i wont have to pay to get it fixed cuz that would suck :cry:[/quote]
You're out of the warranty that covers everything besides RROD, you're still covered for RROD. Just call them and give them all your info.

Or register on service.xbox.com and put in a repair claim (supposedly the boxes come faster over the phone).

I got the 1 red ring (in the lower right corner) error about a week ago. This would be fine, but my one year warranty expired in December so a 3 ring is all I'm covered for I do believe. I toweled it and it worked for 3 or 4 days. I toweled it again today and it only worked for 3 hours. This is a bad pattern.

I was hoping through the towelings to get 3 rings that I want, but it keeps working again and then getting the 1 ring error again.

Is there any way to induce the 3 ring that I want? I don't want to pay 100 bucks to repair it, but in the event of that what would happen to my warranty? Would I have another 1 year from the retrieval of the repaired unit?

Thanks for your help. This is a great website.

I have a problem I have never really heard anyone say before.

I boguht my Halo 3 Edition 360 back in September about the 28th at costco during their halo 3 bundle.

I got it for christmas that year, but I opened it and have played with it first thing i noticed immediately is it never starts up on the first try. I will push the button it lights up no rings light up or anything its just simply not on. So i turn it off sometimes I'm lucky and it turns on, sometimes it doesnt and I retry, and other times it produces a nice little E-74 error for me to stare at. I know this is a little late for me to bitch about it, but My friends with 360's told me their just shit and aslong as I dont get the three red rings microsoft wont do anything.

so My question is:

Is this something that should be alarming as a potential red ring factor? And if it is should I call microsoft or should I try to return to costco for another one.

[quote name='wowzors']I have a problem I have never really heard anyone say before.

I boguht my Halo 3 Edition 360 back in September about the 28th at costco during their halo 3 bundle.

I got it for christmas that year, but I opened it and have played with it first thing i noticed immediately is it never starts up on the first try. I will push the button it lights up no rings light up or anything its just simply not on. So i turn it off sometimes I'm lucky and it turns on, sometimes it doesnt and I retry, and other times it produces a nice little E-74 error for me to stare at. I know this is a little late for me to bitch about it, but My friends with 360's told me their just shit and aslong as I dont get the three red rings microsoft wont do anything.

so My question is:

Is this something that should be alarming as a potential red ring factor? And if it is should I call microsoft or should I try to return to costco for another one.[/quote]

I am not to sure about this since I don't have a costco membership so can anyone answer this question? I have heard various reports of the time frame in which you can return/exchange stuff but not too sure on what.

So, I got the RROD about 2 weeks ago and was all set to send in the 360. But I waited before calling Microsoft as I am going out of town next week. Figured I would send it late this week so It could be fixed while I am gone. Then I got my pre-order of GTA IV, but couldnt play. THe box would RR just after turning on. After a week of waiting.....lo and behold, this weekend It worked like nothing was wrong. I did get a dirty disc error once.

Now my question is...do I wait for it to red ring again, or do I call microsoft anyway and send it in?

thanks in advance

My first 360 actually did red ring, and I though my second one did as well,but come to find out it was something to do with the av cable. I would keep it, and play it until it did to the point it didn't work at all.

depends on how long you have left on your warrenty...

If you dont have to much longer do the towel trick and make it worse and then send it in.

If you have like 2 years left or so keep it like jman619 said.

well I think my refurb from MS is about to have a Disc Read Error soon as it's been making a lot of weird noises on COD4 and GTA4 more than usual.

Let's put this in the OP, courtesy of The Consumerist.

HOW TO FIX YOUR XBOX 360
1. Call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX
2. Get a reference number for your problem as quickly as possible.
3. Hang up and call the escalated support number, 866-506-3826.
4. Talk to someone who knows what they're doing.

[quote name='JJSP']Let's put this in the OP, courtesy of The Consumerist.

HOW TO FIX YOUR XBOX 360
1. Call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX
2. Get a reference number for your problem as quickly as possible.
3. Hang up and call the escalated support number, 866-506-3826.
4. Talk to someone who knows what they're doing.[/quote]

damn you beat me to it JJSP.

I will put this in the next update.

I was a little surprised when I got my box and the return shipping label was designated overnight. I hope when they ship it back out that it comes the same way (i came ground though, so I doubt it).

[quote name='KoA']How much does it cost if my warranty is out of date?[/quote]

If you red ringed, then your covered even if your system is out of warranty.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I was a little surprised when I got my box and the return shipping label was designated overnight. I hope when they ship it back out that it comes the same way (i came ground though, so I doubt it).[/quote]

Is this your first or second time you red ringed?

My guess that after the first time they start doing overnight shipping labels.

I never called about the Drive getting stuck only when you first turn it on. I have about a month or two left of warrenty.
Should I call? I'm worried i'll get a worse one.

I'd call and see what your options are, but whatever you do make sure you fight them if they try to charge you for the drive stating that this is the refurb unit they sent you and it should be in working order not having drive issues.

[quote name='seanr1221']I got a refurb back (from 2006).

How much longer will they cover red rings? How can I check?[/quote]

Read the OP.

Just fired up my console and it seemed to be working normally, but the three red segments were flashing, while it was also still green. I restarted and it's gone away, but that can't be good.

This is the one I just got back on April 25. Really hope I don't have to send it in again so soon :(

Anyone else seen this happen?

[quote name='porieux']Just fired up my console and it seemed to be working normally, but the three red segments were flashing, while it was also still green. I restarted and it's gone away, but that can't be good.

This is the one I just got back on April 25. Really hope I don't have to send it in again so soon :(

Anyone else seen this happen?[/quote]

Happened to me last week. I think it just means it was unplugged while on Or somehow, it lost power. It's only been a week , but so far so good.

I never received an email saying that my 360 was being sent back to me, just the one that said they received it. However, I checked the support page today and it was already on its way back to me, should be here tomorrow (5/8). I called support to see if they could tell me anything about whether it was repaired or replaced and was told the serial number was the same. I'll update you guys on what I really get.

Quick question to you guys though: In the support page, are your 360s showing up as registered or managed devices? I registered my box at launch (amazing it lasted this long) and it has never popped up there. When I try to register my system again it says a problem has occurred and I need to call in. Just wondering if I need to push the issue harder with Microsoft since I asked them about it before to no avail.

Thanks again to you ITDEFX, you've been a major help.

[quote name='Chucki Norris']I never received an email saying that my 360 was being sent back to me, just the one that said they received it. However, I checked the support page today and it was already on its way back to me, should be here tomorrow (5/8). I called support to see if they could tell me anything about whether it was repaired or replaced and was told the serial number was the same. I'll update you guys on what I really get.

Quick question to you guys though: In the support page, are your 360s showing up as registered or managed devices? I registered my box at launch (amazing it lasted this long) and it has never popped up there. When I try to register my system again it says a problem has occurred and I need to call in. Just wondering if I need to push the issue harder with Microsoft since I asked them about it before to no avail.

Thanks again to you ITDEFX, you've been a major help.[/quote]

It's under manage your device. Your welcome Chucki. Glad I could help the cag community in any small way I can. Wish MS would get their act together and fix this mess.

[quote name='Chucki Norris']I never received an email saying that my 360 was being sent back to me, just the one that said they received it. However, I checked the support page today and it was already on its way back to me, should be here tomorrow (5/8). I called support to see if they could tell me anything about whether it was repaired or replaced and was told the serial number was the same. I'll update you guys on what I really get.

Thanks again to you ITDEFX, you've been a major help.[/quote]

Same. I was watching my UPS tracking# and it was received and shipped back the next day. I'm worried what their testing procedures are. My 360 would power up fine, but would RR during a game within the first 5 min of play time. Should I even be concerned?

Big thanks for the FAQ ITDEFX. Much CAG love:applause:

I found some time in my schedule today to finally bring my Xbox 360 into Best Buy to exchange it. I boxed everything up in the original box and they told me to pull a new 360 off the shelf. Switched out the hard drives and that was it. Pretty quick and easy. The 360 was selling for less then what I had originally paid so they let me use the difference towards a new PRP plan. I thought $10.81 for another two years of peace of mind was worth it.

Got mine back today. Same box and serial number. I wish they would let you know what was wrong with it...but that would be too easy for microsoft. I think I got an additional heat sink judging from the pictures in the FAQ. All in all, system is running well and no problems...so far. Finally I get to play GTAIV!

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Happened to me last week. I think it just means it was unplugged while on Or somehow, it lost power. It's only been a week , but so far so good.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, I think you are right. Seems to be working fine (knock on forehead).
Maybe there was a power surge....PG&E sucks pretty hard.

I got mine back last week but get to try it out till today.

Its the same unit as far as i can tell. Same serial number and i can play all my arcade games offline.

I wonder though, is it worth trading this one in on a new falcon model with an hdmi port.

I have access to a memory card so i can get my profile and game saves off of it. Has anyone done that?

I bought a brand new 360 last month. It has been working fine but when I played GTA IV the game had the "disc may be dirty" error. So I took it out and checked the bottom of the disc, and there's a massive circular scratch on it. Is this the 360 or is it a problem with the GTA IV disc? Any help? Thanks. My last two 360's never did this, but they had other problems.

Man, I hate Microsoft and their shitty consoles.

[quote name='Rozz']I bought a brand new 360 last month. It has been working fine but when I played GTA IV the game had the "disc may be dirty" error. So I took it out and checked the bottom of the disc, and there's a massive circular scratch on it. Is this the 360 or is it a problem with the GTA IV disc? Any help? Thanks. My last two 360's never did this, but they had other problems.

Man, I hate Microsoft and their shitty consoles.[/quote]

Certain drives (I forget which) will cause that ring scratch. No way to fix this problem and MS won't swap it out because it's not a RRoD.

I got the RRoD last week playing Rock Band. I blame Blondie for it!

I got to "talk" to a "helpful" Indian CSR. Box will be here soon, but I still haven't got to play GTA4 =(

[quote name='AlohaMars2']I got the RRoD last week playing Rock Band. I blame Blondie for it!

I got to "talk" to a "helpful" Indian CSR. Box will be here soon, but I still haven't got to play GTA4 =([/quote]

Would have been faster if you asked for the shipping label to be e-mailed to you.

I got the RRoD last night for a moment when I moved my 360 from the bedroom to the living room last night, but it went away after I turned it off and back on. I figure it's only a matter of time before that rears it's ugly head again.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Certain drives (I forget which) will cause that ring scratch. No way to fix this problem and MS won't swap it out because it's not a RRoD.[/quote]

Well, I'll just keep returning the game over and over again if it keeps happening :)

Samsung drives are prone to that type of scratching (although all will do it if you tilt the 360 while the drive is spinning), although I myself had a 360 with a samsung drive for like 11.5 months before the gpu died (no red rings) and mine didn't scratch anything, so who knows? Now I have a falcon elite with an super quiet Benq :)

[quote name='Rozz']Well, I'll just keep returning the game over and over again if it keeps happening :)[/quote]

That's going to throw a red flag to the place you keep returning it to.

[quote name='Danil ACE']Samsung drives are prone to that type of scratching (although all will do it if you tilt the 360 while the drive is spinning), although I myself had a 360 with a samsung drive for like 11.5 months before the gpu died (no red rings) and mine didn't scratch anything, so who knows? Now I have a falcon elite with an super quiet Benq :)[/QUOTE]

I am lazy and dont really feel like searching for the info but......
where do you go to find what kind of processor you have (zephr,falcon, etc.) drive (benq, samsung, etc.) and all that on your 360? I may be going for a pro system soon ( I want to get hdmi output, my launch unit doesnt have that obviously and its already been fixed once form the RRoD) and would love to know what I am getting before I get it. Thanks.

OK my Xbox 360 RRoD'd. I called up and they are sending out a coffin.

What I want to ask you guys though is... if I don't receive a new one which I don't expect. I'll probably get another loud 2006 model. Would it be worth trying to sell my older Xbox 360 with maybe 3-4 games I don't play anymore for $200-250 and then shelling out the extra cash for one of these new "Jasper" 360's in August?

Or is there going to be an even better model after "Jasper"? Does "Jasper" exist? Is this a dumb idea?

The DVD drive you can't tell which one it is until you actually eject it. Most systems should be falcons now. If it says 175W on the box, then it is a guarateed falcon. Some 203W boxes have 175W PSUs and others even have 203W PSUs with falcons. The only way to tell 100% (besides having a 175W PSU) is by looking at the heatsink through the holes on bottom/right side of the 360.
samsung_360_dvd_tray_500.jpg
hitachi_360_dvd_tray_500.jpg
benq_360_dvd_tray_500.jpg

Well it seems that the wireless transmitter on the 360 is starting to bug out as it's telling me to reconnect the controller. :bomb:

I just received my console back #6 and it's the same one I keep sending back wtf?
This time it was a disc drive problem and because it was cracking my games. I even asked MS support to add a note on my ticket that I want a different system and I even included a note but the repair center ignored my request. Any suggestions?

bread's done
Back