XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

[quote name='mr ryles']since I couldn't really understand the xbox support lady, do they send me an empty box? I just got the e-mail from UPS with my pre-paid shipping label. SO can I just use my own box and ship it out tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

Yes I'd just use your own box. Someone (I think ITDFX) told me they went to wal mart and got a cheap box and wrap. That's what I did. It will get your 360 to the repair center quicker since you wont have to wait for a coffin. I shipped mine out on Friday night and they already have it at the repair center, hopefully they ship it back soon. Good LUCK!

Oh Hey ITDFX, I forgot I live on a golf course, maybe I'll practice so I can be the next Tiger Woods...or just get drunk and role a cart into the lake =)

I can't believe I didn't check this forum when my 360 went RRoD. It would've made the UPS drop off a whole lot easier on the nerves. lol. I took literally two steps through the door with the white box in front of me when the UPS worker said something like "Hello, wait one moment while I give a receipt for your Xbox 360." I wasn't even half way to the counter. I won't lie, it stunned me for a second there. I said three words in the whole exchange: hello, ok and thanks. However, I did take a minute to look over the receipt in the car. Also, even the UPS guy who delivered the fixed 360 knew what it was. He joked something about me being bored without my 360. I wasn't paying too much attention because I was reading the warning on the tape and checking it.

My launch 360 just got 1 red ring. The past week it's been giving a greenish hue on everything. I'm guessing the AV port or gpu went bad. Looks like I'm going to have to convince them my 360 is 3 red rings instead of 1...

[quote name='mr ryles']since I couldn't really understand the xbox support lady, do they send me an empty box? I just got the e-mail from UPS with my pre-paid shipping label. SO can I just use my own box and ship it out tomorrow?[/quote]

Yep.

[quote name='FrankySox']Yes I'd just use your own box. Someone (I think ITDFX) told me they went to wal mart and got a cheap box and wrap. That's what I did. It will get your 360 to the repair center quicker since you wont have to wait for a coffin. I shipped mine out on Friday night and they already have it at the repair center, hopefully they ship it back soon. Good LUCK!

Oh Hey ITDFX, I forgot I live on a golf course, maybe I'll practice so I can be the next Tiger Woods...or just get drunk and role a cart into the lake =)[/quote]

That wasn't me.... oh well good luck and have fun.

[quote name='winterice']I can't believe I didn't check this forum when my 360 went RRoD. It would've made the UPS drop off a whole lot easier on the nerves. lol. I took literally two steps through the door with the white box in front of me when the UPS worker said something like "Hello, wait one moment while I give a receipt for your Xbox 360." I wasn't even half way to the counter. I won't lie, it stunned me for a second there. I said three words in the whole exchange: hello, ok and thanks. However, I did take a minute to look over the receipt in the car. Also, even the UPS guy who delivered the fixed 360 knew what it was. He joked something about me being bored without my 360. I wasn't paying too much attention because I was reading the warning on the tape and checking it.[/quote]

Yep prepare for a little humiliation when you walk into the store.

YO! My post for the day in this thread will be in the form of a question (besides the statement before my question stating I'll be asking a question). How do you track your package after it reaches the repair center, or do you just play the waiting game til they send it back and give you a new tracking number or what?

[quote name='FrankySox']YO! My post for the day in this thread will be in the form of a question (besides the statement before my question stating I'll be asking a question). How do you track your package after it reaches the repair center, or do you just play the waiting game til they send it back and give you a new tracking number or what?[/quote]

Again check the FAQ for the 4 step process (with pictures). You won't get exact details where it is in the que, nor to what is being done with your 360 in at the center (being examined/repaired/refurbished, etc). Just keep checking once a day for a "Shipped to Customer" with your SN and UPS tracker.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Again check the FAQ for the 4 step process (with pictures). You won't get exact details where it is in the que, nor to what is being done with your 360 in at the center (being examined/repaired/refurbished, etc). Just keep checking once a day for a "Shipped to Customer" with your SN and UPS tracker.[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't have anything to do if I read the OP. Sorry I'll check there from now on. You've been quite helpful though.

Hey guys. So UPS says my 360 was delivered today at 10:45 to the repair center but on xbox.com it still says "waiting for device at service center". Should I be worried or is it just some lag on MS's part on updating the support page?

EDIT: 10:45AM of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tokitoki50']Hey guys. So UPS says my 360 was delivered today at 10:45 to the repair center but on xbox.com it still says "waiting for device at service center". Should I be worried or is it just some lag on MS's part on updating the support page?

EDIT: 10:45AM of course.[/quote]

Don't sweat it. It took about 3 days for them to acknowledge receipt of my console. 5 days after that, they shipped it back, however they said it was shipped on 7/8, but it didnt actually leave the service center until 7/11.

I just got mine back today. They sent me a refurb. Also included with the literature was a tech checklist by whoever looked at my box, except it's in Spanish so I have no clue what anything means :lol:

Heres scans of that document(s), I blacked out serial # crap.
mainpq8.jpg

This little bit was attached to the bigger document
main2wp7.jpg

Whats a bit annoying is it was manufactured in the same month as my previous box. Its a PRO w/ HDMI. I havent tested it yet as I just got home, but am going to in a little bit. I already have a replacement, so as long as this works I'm getting rid of it.

Here's my timeline:

Called and requested label: 6/25
Received label and shipped: 6/26
Arrived at service center: 7/3
Acknowledged receipt at service center: 7/6
Shipped back: 7/11 (said it was shipped 7/8)
Arrived: 7/15

Just checked my replacement box and it works great thus far.

The main change is the DVD drive. Runs MUCH quieter. I had a Hitachi in my old box, but this one has a BenQ. I don't think its a Falcon though as it said "Zephyr" on the shipping box.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Don't sweat it. It took about 3 days for them to acknowledge receipt of my console. 5 days after that, they shipped it back, however they said it was shipped on 7/8, but it didnt actually leave the service center until 7/11.

I just got mine back today. They sent me a refurb. Also included with the literature was a tech checklist by whoever looked at my box, except it's in Spanish so I have no clue what anything means :lol:

Heres scans of that document(s), I blacked out serial # crap.
mainpq8.jpg

This little bit was attached to the bigger document
main2wp7.jpg

Whats a bit annoying is it was manufactured in the same month as my previous box. Its a PRO w/ HDMI. I havent tested it yet as I just got home, but am going to in a little bit. I already have a replacement, so as long as this works I'm getting rid of it.

Here's my timeline:

Called and requested label: 6/25
Received label and shipped: 6/26
Arrived at service center: 7/3
Acknowledged receipt at service center: 7/6
Shipped back: 7/11 (said it was shipped 7/8)
Arrived: 7/15[/quote]

Arch mind if I add this to the FAQ in the OP?

Got my coffin today. Don't know when I'll have time to drop it off at the UPS store, though. The worst part is that they charge like 11 bucks for a pickup. It sucks because I live so far away from a UPS store. Sigh...

Yo, here is my timeline... it seems to be going a bit faster than the person who posted above me.

July 10 - Red Ring, I call MS get shipping label
July 11 (Friday)- Ship it out from Nebraska at about 1:30p
July 15 - Repair center in Texas gets my Box
July 16 - MS acknowledges that I've sent them a POS 360

UPDATE: July 17 - MS ships my console!!!!!

The repair center received my 360 and shipped it on the same day. In the email saying they got it, it said they'll send an email when it's repairs. I still haven't gotten that email. Should I be worried that they didn't find anything wrong and just shipped it back?

[quote name='Stones']The repair center received my 360 and shipped it on the same day. In the email saying they got it, it said they'll send an email when it's repairs. I still haven't gotten that email. Should I be worried that they didn't find anything wrong and just shipped it back?[/quote]

I don't think you should. They did the same thing with me. I got back a different console from what I've sent in. I've played it quite a bit, and haven't had a single problem with it.

I got one ring of death (e74 error code) last week on a launch system. I've taken very good care of the this system and it has not moved from its spot since I bought it 2.5 years ago. I tried switching out the cables, then I tried the towel trick nothing worked so my guess its a faulty chip. Of course Microsoft doesn't cover this issue the one

I tried the towel trick a couple more times and now I'm up to 2 rings, so I am going to keep going until I get to 3. What would increase my chances, doing it with the xbox sideways, upside down or rightside up.

[quote name='jman619']I don't think you should. They did the same thing with me. I got back a different console from what I've sent in. I've played it quite a bit, and haven't had a single problem with it.[/quote]
Alright thanks. I hope you're right.

[quote name='ofacto']I got one ring of death (e74 error code) last week on a launch system. I've taken very good care of the this system and it has not moved from its spot since I bought it 2.5 years ago. I tried switching out the cables, then I tried the towel trick nothing worked so my guess its a faulty chip. Of course Microsoft doesn't cover this issue the one

I tried the towel trick a couple more times and now I'm up to 2 rings, so I am going to keep going until I get to 3. What would increase my chances, doing it with the xbox sideways, upside down or rightside up.[/quote]
I just sent mine in without the red rings, though I did get it once temporarily. Mines supposedly on its way back, so I'll keep you updated on whether or not that's a good idea.

[quote name='Stones']The repair center received my 360 and shipped it on the same day. In the email saying they got it, it said they'll send an email when it's repairs. I still haven't gotten that email. Should I be worried that they didn't find anything wrong and just shipped it back?[/quote]

I just got my system back a few days ago (Tuesday) and I got an email every step of the way except for the send back.

However on my repair status it said shipped back, but it took 3 days from that point to leave the service center.

Dont be worried. Your main concern is the UPS tracking, as long as that starts moving (dont worry if it takes a few days to move) you're fine.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']I just got my system back a few days ago (Tuesday) and I got an email every step of the way except for the send back.

However on my repair status it said shipped back, but it took 3 days from that point to leave the service center.

Dont be worried. Your main concern is the UPS tracking, as long as that starts moving (dont worry if it takes a few days to move) you're fine.[/quote]
OK, I'm relieved now after hearing that. UPS tracking said it departed on the 15th, two days after the status said it was shipped back, and should arrive on the 21st, but I'm hoping it's earlier.

Have the UPS scheduled delivery dates been accurate, late or early for you guys?

This morning while playing halo 3, my 360 froze and displayed red rectangles all over the screen. This happened more while i tried to continue playing after restarting. on the 3rd freeze the xbox only flashed the red rectangles onto the screen, but still froze just the same. audio cuts out, and controller doesnt respond. only a restart fixes it, and that is only for about 3 - 5 minutes. sorry for the low quality pixs, motorola razrs are shitty phones and even shittier cameras.

:pics:
072008_14171.jpg
072008_14071.jpg
Does this mean the 360 is about to red ring? should i order a coffin and just tell them it red ringed already?
The xbox is an old one. it was purchased in December of 2006.

[quote name='jakehoss']This morning while playing halo 3, my 360 froze and displayed red rectangles all over the screen. This happened more while i tried to continue playing after restarting. on the 3rd freeze the xbox only flashed the red rectangles onto the screen, but still froze just the same. audio cuts out, and controller doesnt respond. only a restart fixes it, and that is only for about 3 - 5 minutes. sorry for the low quality pixs, motorola razrs are shitty phones and even shittier cameras.

:pics:
072008_14171.jpg
072008_14071.jpg
Does this mean the 360 is about to red ring? should i order a coffin and just tell them it red ringed already?
The xbox is an old one. it was purchased in December of 2006.[/quote]

Your GPU is about to fail, leading to an E74 error or 1 ring. If your damn lucky you will get a 3 red ring and MS will replace the unit. If you get the 1 ring/e74 then MS is going make you pay for it.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Your GPU is about to fail, leading to an E74 error or 1 ring. If your damn lucky you will get a 3 red ring and MS will replace the unit. If you get the 1 ring/e74 then MS is going make you pay for it.[/quote]

So then its only a matter of time till i get this one ring and the 360 wont work at all.... hmm that sucks..
Should i try and cause the three red rings?

Lately, my 360's been working like a system should work. About 6 hours of nonstop play yesterday and 2 to 3 today without any faltering, all on BioShock (the game that red ringed me last month), I'm finally glad to report something to this thread.

Well after a 25 minute phone call to Xbox support they send me a UPS label via email, and the link to the lable doesn't work.

I'm sick of this crap already.:bomb:

I'm STILL on the phone with them now..after 25 mins. Why is it taking SO long to verify my address?!
He probably keeps spelling it wrong since I had to spell it for him about 10-15x already!!!!

HATE. THIS.
There needs to be an easier way.

"For a white person, please press 1"

::pRESSES ONE::

[quote name='lilboo']omg, STILL on the line.

::OFFICIAL RACIST NOW::[/QUOTE]

LOL, just get a ref # like the op says and call the other number.

Well i didn't get the ref # until JUST now and we hung up. Like the guy was really cool and helpful, but the language barrier thing really pisses me off and I think I'm entitled to feel that way, right?! Right?!

Just gotta wait for my shipping label now.

Will you assclowns stop tag crapping this thread!!! I am getting tired of cleaning up this shit.

And try to keep it civil guys. I know your pissed that your 360 Red Ringed and I am sorry you can't understand the person on the other side, but that's how it is and we have to deal with it.

Anyways I read this today over at the consumerist. I dunno if this is from a fellow CAG but it's kinda funny.
http://consumerist.com/5027192/microsoft-left-a-sheet-of-stickers-inside-my-xbox-360

[quote name='lilboo']Well i didn't get the ref # until JUST now and we hung up. Like the guy was really cool and helpful, but the language barrier thing really pisses me off and I think I'm entitled to feel that way, right?! Right?!

Just gotta wait for my shipping label now.[/quote]

You know they can email your shipping label. My 3rd xbox just died yesterday :bomb: and I talked to Max for a bit, but I knew it was a goner. Got an email with the label a few hours later, and it's at UPS now. Well, guess I'll just get to finish the second Phoenix Wright and hopefully Space Invaders Xtreme.

I got the RROD on Friday, July 11. I sent it off on the 12th. I got a call from UPS last night saying that I had a package being shipped to me today (Monday July 21) that required signature confirmation. Wow, I can't believe it was only a 10 day turnaround from the day I shipped to the day it should get back to me. Maybe it has something to do with my being in Texas.

Well after fighting the good fight for over 2 years, my original 360 succumbed to the RRoD on Saturday July 19th, 2008. It started freezing up constantly late last week and the RRoD followed only a couple days later.

I tried to get the return setup via the online service but it wouldn't let me register my console so I had to call them up. It was surprisingly painless. They tried to get me to unplug everything and all that jazz, but I just told them I had already tried all that out and they cut to the chase and emailed me a shipping label for UPS. I asked about the "coffin" but they said that they no longer send out "coffins" to return systems. Oh well, at least that cuts down the turnaround time. Dropped my system off this morning so hopefully this doesn't take too long.

Luckily this happened Saturday so I was still able to score a $275 Pro from Target to hold me over until my system is back.

OH something kind of cool ish ? if you send in your 360 without the faceplate they send you a new one back with a new face plate.. mine was scratched so i got a new one from ms for free.. im on my 3rd 360 now
it keeps getting the E74 error every once in a while but im fine with it.

It really sucks that microsoft cant make reliable hardware in their 360s. I called more than 15 times and this is my 3rd system. I got the RROD, and out of those 15 calls they sent me a box once and right when i ship it through fedex, fedex ships it back saying the serial number doesnt work. Everytime i called i waited 2 weeks within a 6 month period, and every time the operator told me it didnt process correctly. So now im thinking of switching to the ps3 even with all those good games coming out for the 360 this year. Dammit microsoft!

Tuesday 7/15/08 Got 1 red ring -- called in and said I got 3 red rings. Repair order cannot be placed because MS's server is down
Wednesday 7/16/08 Third call, got repair order placed and label delivered to email.
Wednesday 7/16/08 Dropped off 360 with UPS
Monday 7/21/08 MS receives it
Monday 7/21/08 MS ships out *something*
day 7/xx/08 Waiting on UPS to receive my hopefully fixed or replaced console

[quote name='dastly75']Tuesday 7/15/08 Got 1 red ring -- called in and said I got 3 red rings. Repair order cannot be placed because MS's server is down
Wednesday 7/16/08 Third call, got repair order placed and label delivered to email.
Wednesday 7/16/08 Dropped off 360 with UPS
Monday 7/21/08 MS receives it
Monday 7/21/08 MS ships out *something*
day 7/xx/08 Waiting on UPS to receive my hopefully fixed or replaced console[/QUOTE]

That's even quicker than mine...damn!

[quote name='FrankySox']That's even quicker than mine...damn![/quote]

Yeah if I get a proper functioning console back, I'd be honestly pretty happy with the repair service. Granted it doesn't make up for the crappy hardware, at least the repair process seems to be going smoothly. For me at least.

[quote name='LuisRM']Can you only call for a status update or can you check it online? They told me 2-3 weeks.[/quote]

You should get an email with your caseid number which you can put in the www.xbox.com/support site to get status info. You should already have the id number from the phone call so you can check the status right now.

I'm supposed to be receiving my 360 back on Thursday according to the tracking info. I want it now but the turnaround isn't all that bad. If it arrives Thursday it will have taken 13 days for the whole process to take place. Sucks that it red ringed but I'm pleased by the way it has been handled.

bread's done
Back