XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

I had red ring of death about 15 months ago. I opened up my xbox, put teflon tape and locktight on the screws that hold the heat sink down,tightened it up real good and have never had another problem since.

My 360 was having issues again, somehow my 360 is still under RROD warranty (original launch day purchase fixed 4 times) and I sent it in today. I didn't even bother calling this time and used the online tool instead of calling India.

My 2-year old Elite Falcon 360 red ringed yesterday. I treated that thing so delicately: installed all games to HDD, never ran it more than 3 hours in a row, kept it elevated and well ventilated. There were no signs of anything wrong with it. Thing still RROD'ed. Used the online form and sent it in today. Now have to go through a few weeks on Xbox withdrawals waiting for it to get back.

Mine died, again. Second time.

Last month for warranty too.
Sucks, because I'm probably gonna have to buy the extended warranty ,so I'm not freaking out.

Turns out my 3-year warranty expired 15 months after I bought my newly-e74'd Xbox. Awesome. It's a good thing I make money at all the jobs that my city has.

And by that I mean "fuck."

So this has been asked a thousand times, I'm sure, you'll have to forgive me if I'm not in a patient mood to read very much in this thread; is there any way to tell if it's just the AV cable? I turned it on, it was slow to start and a bit laggy, the graphics glitched about a minute into a game and now its electrical processes are of interest only to historians.

[quote name='Survivalism']Turns out my 3-year warranty expired 15 months after I bought my newly-e74'd Xbox. Awesome. It's a good thing I make money at all the jobs that my city has.

And by that I mean "fuck."

So this has been asked a thousand times, I'm sure, you'll have to forgive me if I'm not in a patient mood to read very much in this thread; is there any way to tell if it's just the AV cable? I turned it on, it was slow to start and a bit laggy, the graphics glitched about a minute into a game and now its electrical processes are of interest only to historians.[/QUOTE]

If you have a 2nd a/v cable, try that. If the problem is still there then it is most likely your xbox. If your xbox isn't displaying one red ring (along with the e-74 error) then it is most likely your a/v cable. The xbox a/v cables are very cheaply made. On my component video cable the blue video, and left audio connectors quit working a few weeks after I got it.

[quote name='El1te']If you have a 2nd a/v cable, try that. If the problem is still there then it is most likely your xbox. If your xbox isn't displaying one red ring (along with the e-74 error) then it is most likely your a/v cable. The xbox a/v cables are very cheaply made. On my component video cable the blue video, and left audio connectors quit working a few weeks after I got it.[/QUOTE]

Well it's not a problem any more because it completely red ringed. @xboxsupport tells me I'm still under warranty which I know for a fact I am but when I start a repair request it says it expired after 15 months. At this point, for $100 to fix it or the incredible hassle I know it's going to be to get my warranty straightened out, I'd rather just buy a slim.

This is weird, now it's E74'd again. What gives? Got my Resident Evil 5 out, at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Survivalism']Well it's not a problem any more because it completely red ringed. @xboxsupport tells me I'm still under warranty which I know for a fact I am but when I start a repair request it says it expired after 15 months. At this point, for $100 to fix it or the incredible hassle I know it's going to be to get my warranty straightened out, I'd rather just buy a slim.

This is weird, now it's E74'd again. What gives? Got my Resident Evil 5 out, at least.[/QUOTE]

At least you got your disc out. One of my friends sent his 360 in with Halo 3 in the DVD drive, and when he got it back his disc was gone.

The 360 I purchased in 2007 just got the three red lights. Luckily I just squeaked into the three year warranty period so assuming I can find an appropriate box tomorrow, off it goes.

The service center has had my console for a week now and it hasn't reached the "repair in progress" status yet. I don't remember my console taking this long to start the repair process in the past.

[quote name='spoo']The service center has had my console for a week now and it hasn't reached the "repair in progress" status yet. I don't remember my console taking this long to start the repair process in the past.[/QUOTE]

They got mine a day or two ago, and they still haven't updated the repair site. I guess they aren't as efficient as I'd hoped.

Update - They got mine about Wednesdays, and nothing. I guess I'll have to wait more then a week I guess.

Was playing MW2 for a few hours last night and the game graphics got a green/purple tint to them. I figured E74 was going to happen soon. This is a launch unit which has been fixed twice already. Called CS even though I figured there was no hope and the guy said I'm still under warranty till July 2011! Moved my bedroom 360 to the livingroom and will be sending off the broke unit tomorrow.

So, they updated my status as "Arrived" " In Process" "Complete" in like 30 minutes, and now I'm worried. What if they send me the same junk I sent them :/

Epic thread, nice work.

I have had a 360 for almost 3 years now.. I lost my first one to E74 about a year ago, and my second one that I have right now is still going strong (a refurbished arcade with my old premiums HDD). The biggest bit of advice I can give to anyone that wants their 360 to last, is to give it room to breathe. If you leave enough space between the 360 and the wall that's behind it, you should be fine for a good few years.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']So, they updated my status as "Arrived" " In Process" "Complete" in like 30 minutes, and now I'm worried. What if they send me the same junk I sent them :/[/QUOTE]
They won't. It'll be someone else's junk. Yours will be repaired and sent to someone else down the road.

[quote name='Allnatural']They won't. It'll be someone else's junk. Yours will be repaired and sent to someone else down the road.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they sent me the same console back. I triple checked, and the console coming back has the same number :/ Unless they update it after they ship it, but it's already on it's way, and the "Warranty" was updated.

They did like 4 steps in one day, so that was suspicious.....

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Yeah, they sent me the same console back. I triple checked, and the console coming back has the same number :/ Unless they update it after they ship it, but it's already on it's way, and the "Warranty" was updated.
[/QUOTE]
Same serial number? When I got my refurb, the email they sent said that the "new" console would have a different serial. It didn't. It was clearly a different console, but it looked like they had placed a new sticker (with my original serial) over the old.

[quote name='Veronica Mars'] ...and the "Warranty" was updated.
[/QUOTE]
How did you check to see if the warranty was updated?

[quote name='Allnatural']Same serial number? When I got my refurb, the email they sent said that the "new" console would have a different serial. It didn't. It was clearly a different console, but it looked like they had placed a new sticker (with my original serial) over the old.[/QUOTE]
The last time I sent in my 360 I got a similar email stating it had a new serial number. This time all I got was the email stating that my 360 is on the way back to me, it showed a different serial than the one I sent to them.

[quote name='spoo']How did you check to see if the warranty was updated?[/QUOTE]

When I checked the Repair Status, they updated the Warranty.

[quote name='spoo']This time all I got was the email stating that my 360 is on the way back to me, it showed a different serial than the one I sent to them.[/QUOTE]

This the e-mail I got this time, but It's the same console number from the e-mail I got when I made the original report. I didn't actually write it down, but all the e-mails from the beginning show the current console number.

My 360 just RRoD. When I type in the serial, it tells me my warrenty has expired.

The date on the back of the machine says: 2007 - 10 -06

How is it out of warrenty?

Thanks!

[quote name='simpsonps121']My 360 just RRoD. When I type in the serial, it tells me my warrenty has expired.

The date on the back of the machine says: 2007 - 10 -06

How is it out of warrenty?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Did you input that your problem was the RRoD? If you are still having problems you are going to have to call India, I mean 1-800-4MYXBOX.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']No probs! Also, off topic,
but your Warranty exp. day is the same as mine :/
More Weird...lol
[/QUOTE]
Our 360's are now cousins. ;)

My Jasper Elite just gave me 3 red rings after moving it from downstairs to upstairs for my kids to watch a netflix movie. I unplugged the power cord from the back of the console, and the video cable, then plugged them back in, but no luck. Finally the 3rd time I tried this it powered up and seems to be working. I don't know if it was just that I didn't have something plugged in securely, but I'm a bit worried. So was this sign that my supposedly-red-ring-of-death-proof Jasper isn't so death-proof, or was it just a hiccup or due to a loose cable? I guess I'll find out.

Now my machine is coming from Mexico, for some reason. Was held up in Customs for a couple of days. Since when do machines go to Mexico to be fixed?

Is it something I missed in this thread?

After 21 days, I finally got my 360 back today. I got back my same console I shipped off, to which I was very happy about considering what great care I took of it.

The system makes a troubling rattling sound whenever it's moved, the disc eject button no longer works, and it seems to be super slow on the Live menus. At least it's working again, and it should live long enough until I can upgrade to a Slim.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Yeah, they sent me the same console back. I triple checked, and the console coming back has the same number :/ Unless they update it after they ship it, but it's already on it's way, and the "Warranty" was updated.

They did like 4 steps in one day, so that was suspicious.....[/QUOTE]

Mine did the same thing, except my status has been stuck on "Repair Completed" for four days now. I called India, and the service center supervisor said, and I quote, "We have no idea why your console still hasn't shipped back. And all we can tell you is to wait longer."

Wow. This is my fourth Xbox to go through the repair process. The kicker is this one is a SLIM —$that I purchased after selling off my TWO old 360s (a main and a backup). The disc drive stopped reading discs out of the blue. Crazy thing is that I installed EVERY game I played, so the drive never really ran anyway.

So the moral of the story: The new version still sucks ass. And so does the repair process.

[quote name='lyric706']Mine did the same thing, except my status has been stuck on "Repair Completed" for four days now. I called India, and the service center supervisor said, and I quote, "We have no idea why your console still hasn't shipped back. And all we can tell you is to wait longer."

Wow. This is my fourth Xbox to go through the repair process. The kicker is this one is a SLIM —$that I purchased after selling off my TWO old 360s (a main and a backup). The disc drive stopped reading discs out of the blue. Crazy thing is that I installed EVERY game I played, so the drive never really ran anyway.

So the moral of the story: The new version still sucks ass. And so does the repair process.[/QUOTE]

I feel you. My friend got a slim for her birthday, about a week old, and already freezing. Lucky she got it at Costco, so I'm trying to get her to exchange it or something.

Yeah, BTW, I got my system back. I think , like someone previously said, they slapped a sticker with the same Serial number on a different machine. It said it was made on 09-13-10, which I find hard to believe. :/

At least everything works so far, especially the disk tray.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']
At least everything works so far, especially the disk tray.[/QUOTE]
Lucky you. I never actually *used* my refurb (I had already bought a new console). I plugged it in once before selling it to a friend and the disc tray went haywire. :roll:

Just got it back. They fixed it (i said it was E74 but the video had just started to go green/purple). Good stuff. This one will now go to the bedroom and my newer never broken arcade unit will go to the living room.

I just (about ~20 mins ago) turned on my 360, and started playing JC2. I noticed everything looked odd, and it has a red tint to it. I dashboard, it has a light red tint...

I turn it off, back on again, it's fine. I start a different game, and about a minute in (in the menus, still), I notice it just randomly pops up (the red coloring).

So, this is disheartening. Got it in Feb 2008, so it's under the 3 year warranty, but it says my "standard warranty" expired in April, 2009. Does their repair website not include the 3 year E74/RROD warranty?

At least it lasted this long. Probably a bit longer unless I force it to RROD, too. However, my eyes are very sensitive to changes like this and I don't think I could put up with it.

Edit: Just tried to load it up and mess around with it... and I have no video output anymore. That's with both an RCA and a VGA cable. I definitely still have sound, however. WTF do I do now? No E74 or RROD. Do I force an RROD or is this considered E74?

So any recent turnaround time estimates on repaired consoles? Curious. Also, where do they have you ship it to?

Got my 360 giving video/audio, but it gives very visible red tinting and flickering on almost anything I play, constantly. Hoping for an E74. Really would like to not have to force RROD since I've treated my console well (Arcade from Feb 2008), and rather not have other issues pop up if they happen to fix my particular console and send it back.

I almost don't even want to use it anymore, because of the issues and the chances it'll die. I'm attempting to push it to the limits (atleast the GPU), though, so it hopefully gives a consistent E74.

Or, even better, does anyone know if Microsoft even checks consoles sent in as "RROD"?

I just don't like thinking about it, especially since it's on the verge of dying, but not quite there yet.

The turnaround rate is around a week after they receive your console.

My 'new' refurb that I just got is having 'open tray' issues.

[quote name='spoo']The turnaround rate is around a week after they receive your console.

My 'new' refurb that I just got is having 'open tray' issues.[/QUOTE]

Nice, where did you have to mail it to though?

That sucks on the tray, though. Hopefully it works more often than not, for you.

Kinda dreading getting one, and having to send it back again. At least they give you a "fresh" warranty, and some LIVE.

I'm having trouble even touching my 360 anymore, cause of this red tint. It's like it got fat and unattractive all of a sudden. >_> I hate trying to wait out the E74/RROD, since it could be a while.

My elite console was having some problems with the disc tray not opening, but now sometimes when I start it up it has the RROD. So I was originally going to call them about the disc tray but now that it is also RROD'ing does that mean it should fit under the warranty for that even though the disc tray also has problems?

[quote name='MoCiWe']My elite console was having some problems with the disc tray not opening, but now sometimes when I start it up it has the RROD. So I was originally going to call them about the disc tray but now that it is also RROD'ing does that mean it should fit under the warranty for that even though the disc tray also has problems?[/QUOTE]

If I understand correctly, they either test (or chuck) your console for all kinds of problems, fix it, and send it back... or atleast hope they fix it, and send it back. >_>

Because it has RROD, that'd qualify for the 3 year warranty, though, if it's under it still.

If it is getting the RRoD, it doesn't matter what other issues it has. You're covered. They don't actually fix your console, at least not yet. You'll get someone else's broken console that they fixed. And someone will get your broken console down the line. And so it goes.

[quote name='Rhett']If I understand correctly, they either test (or chuck) your console for all kinds of problems, fix it, and send it back... or atleast hope they fix it, and send it back. >_>

Because it has RROD, that'd qualify for the 3 year warranty, though, if it's under it still.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I got it around Christmas 2008 since it's the bundle with Lego Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda. I guess I'll just give them a call sometime to see if I can send it in. Thanks!

[quote name='MoCiWe']Yeah I got it around Christmas 2008 since it's the bundle with Lego Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda. I guess I'll just give them a call sometime to see if I can send it in. Thanks![/QUOTE]

You can do the whole thing online, actually. Just login to xbox.com, go to the Support tab, and register the console (serial on the back of the console). Can submit a repair request, too, and they'll email or mail you (your choice) your shipping label, and you have 30 days to mail it off.

Hey everyone just wondering if anyone would know the answer to this. I sent in my 360 back in May 2009 and it had a mfg date of Feb 2008. When I got it back it didn't have the mfg date. They replaced it with a repair date of May 09. I need to send it in for repair for the rrod again, but the website says im not covered. Would they know that i am covered if I called them? Thanks

[quote name='gamer1233']Hey everyone just wondering if anyone would know the answer to this. I sent in my 360 back in May 2009 and it had a mfg date of Feb 2008. When I got it back it didn't have the mfg date. They replaced it with a repair date of May 09. I need to send it in for repair for the rrod again, but the website says im not covered. Would they know that i am covered if I called them? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Unless you go to submit a repair request, and select E74/RROD, it doesn't show you anything regarding the 3 year warranty. If it says it's expired (about a year later or so than you got it), that's just the standard warranty.

If I read correctly, the last repair date is the date where your new 3 year warranty against E74/RROD begins. (and so on)

I haven't actually been through the process before, though, just did a bunch of reading.

Thanks for the reply. I saw the thing about the standard warranty expiring. But when I went to say I had the rrod they still said I want covered so thats why I am confused.

[quote name='gamer1233']Thanks for the reply. I saw the thing about the standard warranty expiring. But when I went to say I had the rrod they still said I want covered so thats why I am confused.[/QUOTE]

Did you register the new console? Not sure if it's saying that because it was repaired, or if it appears that you're trying to repair your old RROD'd console.

[quote name='gamer1233']No but it is the same one. They registered it to my gamertag for me.[/QUOTE]

I dunno. As far as I understand, though, it should be under a new 3 year warranty, and be covered. I'd call then, I guess. Might get someone in the USA at this hour, too!

Anyone ever have a system stop synching to their wireless controllers? None of my controllers will stay connected anymore to my main 360. They all work fine and even the brand new I have wouldn't stay connected but all work fine on my 2nd 360.

Luckily I have a wired controller and a charge kit cable...

[quote name='$hady']Anyone ever have a system stop synching to their wireless controllers? None of my controllers will stay connected anymore to my main 360. They all work fine and even the brand new I have wouldn't stay connected but all work fine on my 2nd 360.

Luckily I have a wired controller and a charge kit cable...[/QUOTE]

That almost sounds familiar, but I can't remember why. Are you sure your battery packs are connecting decently?

bread's done
Back