Xbox 360 S?

jarmandoo

CAGiversary!
This past week my 3 year old Xbox 360 elite burned in the firey pits of my massachusetts basement. Without going into the gory details, i am now in search of a new gaming platform. With Black Friday coming up, I was wondering if you guys could help figure out what my best option is. Should I buy another elite? Should I upgrade to the sleek 360 s? Should I wait until black friday and brave the stores with my fellow shoppers?

Well first and foremost I want to give my condolences for your loss, it is always hard when you lose a friend. The BF deals are good but the only way I would imagine you can get any of them especially with the gift cards and things would be if you can actually camp out because I seriously doubt you are getting to get a black friday 360 deal without camping out. I would just go ahead and pickup one of the holiday bundles that come with Forza 3 and Alan Wake, getting basically $50 worth of games free, that is just my opinion though. Also I am curious about the gory details, wtf happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, my xbox has been on its last legs for a while now. It has gotten RROD twice before, but with a little coaxing and a nice talking to it came back from these fateful deaths. This latest peril is too much for my expertise, however. First (what I assume is) its video card burnt out or something because the video went blurry and then completely cut out. I can get no video to my tv through standard or component av or even through HDMI. Then, as I was trying to get those feeds to work, it once again got the RROD. I said a quick prayer and then considered it gone.

As far as what to do next, I was thinking about going for one of those holiday bundles. I've heard Alan Wake is pretty good and wasn't against picking it up. Thanks for your opinion, Jabrim.

[quote name='jarmandoo']Basically, my xbox has been on its last legs for a while now. It has gotten RROD twice before, but with a little coaxing and a nice talking to it came back from these fateful deaths. This latest peril is too much for my expertise, however. First (what I assume is) its video card burnt out or something because the video went blurry and then completely cut out. I can get no video to my tv through standard or component av or even through HDMI. Then, as I was trying to get those feeds to work, it once again got the RROD. I said a quick prayer and then considered it gone.

As far as what to do next, I was thinking about going for one of those holiday bundles. I've heard Alan Wake is pretty good and wasn't against picking it up. Thanks for your opinion, Jabrim.[/QUOTE]

Alan Wake is definitely a good game, one of the most overlooked games of the year for the 360 in my opinion. Good luck with the 360 ordeal.

Overall, I think getting the 360S is a good idea. There's no point in paying for five year old technology (and hopefully the 360S will be less prone to RROD-like catastrophic errors). There are several bundles you can buy, both with and without the Kinect. Are you going to try to preserve your hard drive? I believe that it is possible to use an older model hard drive on the 360 S, but it involves taking it apart (there are some videos on youtube that show you how, IIRC). The Microsoft Store and Dell Home occasionally have good deals, and Overstock.com is alright if you can find an ecoupon/promo code. I would just browse around and then decide if you want the Kinect, and whether you want the 4GB or 250GB hard drive. After that it's just waiting for something to fall into your price range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kamera. My friend has a HDD transfer cable that i could use, so I don't think i'd go through the trouble of taking my 360 s apart if I get one. I would definitely spring for the 250GB drive though, because I have more than 4GB of stuff saved. I'll check Microsoft Dell and Overstock. I can't believe I forgot about Overstock, I used to use them all the time. I guess it's just a matter of shopping around and doing some old fashioned bargain hunting now. Thanks guys!

Sorry if I was unclear - I think you have to take your old hard drive apart, not the 360S. (this video goes through it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0NhKgRC2tg)

Good luck with your bargain hunting! I just bought a 360S myself, but I bought the Halo Reach Limited Edition Bundle (I've never owned a 360 myself, and I wanted to go all out for my first system. And I did get 10% cashback through fatwallet from Newegg). But definitely check out various online vendors and places like overstock.

Im also looking for an xbox 360 S and what i find to be the best deal is target because they give you a $50 giftcard plus a $10 one so equalig $60 which i am buying 2 35$ games reach and fable.
The otha is toysrus they give u a $50giftcard and they open at 10pm

bread's done
Back