Xbox 360 slim - $299 -- Old Arcade $150, Elite $250 -- READ OP

poker360

Banned
shipping to retailers this week, and available to buy this week. not yet on any websites.

Hey guys, i just picked up my xbox 360 250gb S console. I have been trying it out and will give a few impressions, including how hot this thing gets. First off, the wireless adapter works great, very easy to find my network. The console itself is beautiful, loving the buttons where they are touch sensitive. I cannot hear the console when on dashboard, but i can while playing games and the disc is spinning (still not nearly as loud as old models). There is one big issue that i AM having with this however: The thing is whisper silent, but it is also Flaming Hot. Look at the picture. See the big vent on the side? That's where all the heat is at. It's not on the back like the previous console, it doesn't seem like the fan is pushing out the heat very well. This could just be me, but i had someone else touch it to verify that they indeed thought it was outrageously HOT. Let this be a warning to buyers! .. Also i do understand this may not be a problem at all. My Wii does get hot with wii connect 24 (But not as hot as the 360..). My Mac also get's rather hot (still not as hot as the 360..). I'm just throwing this out there.

Fix: Make your 360 sit horizontally. It will help the 360 ventilate better, and won't get nearly as hot!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Pro...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-QITCFx9nwsTluOMMcV9Frw

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276552010&sr=1-7

360 Arcade will drop to $150
360 Elite will drop to $250
New 360 250GB "slim" is $300

img7345.jpg

250gb hdd, built in wireless n adapter

Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries!
includes wireless controller, headset, and composite cables

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='token2k6']does anyone else think this is one step forward, 3 steps back: give everyone built in Wi-Fi (big deal b/c we've already adapted) BUT exclude a Blu Ray drive for at least 3 years runnin', render obsolete everyones HDD that we probably all just bought 120's or 250's and (dammit forgot that third one..but I swear I totally had it!)[/QUOTE]
I doubt they want to give Sony any money, especially directly.

If you want blu-ray and gaming in the same device get a ps3.

[quote name='lllGurulll']It's called an opinion. Everyone is entitled to one. Even you.

I have no real trust in M$ after all their other issues on the other 360's[/QUOTE]

My opinion is that you are a fanboy for jumping to conclusions based on your past experience with the console. You sound like the type of guy who believes all Toyota cars suck because of the other faulty ones.

[quote name='token2k6']does anyone else think this is one step forward, 3 steps back: give everyone built in Wi-Fi (big deal b/c we've already adapted) BUT exclude a Blu Ray drive for at least 3 years runnin', render obsolete everyones HDD that we probably all just bought 120's or 250's and (dammit forgot that third one..but I swear I totally had it!)[/QUOTE]

LOL! yup. the third is 60GB, I think on the Pro or 3-month LIVE with headset bundle.

It's up on amazon, nice. Anyone know if Dell.com will be getting it soon?? Or how does it usually work when something new hits? Is dell.com pretty quick to add the product? Thanks in advanced.

To me, this is a rip off. If my current system breaks down, and this new design is the only system on the market, any custom faceplates, HDD's, and MU's I own will just be worthless junk. Plus, I would have to purchase a transfer cable from them separately to try to salvage my profiles and game saves. Not liking this at all...

[quote name='oasisboy']My opinion is that you are a fanboy for jumping to conclusions based on your past experience with the console. You sound like the type of guy who believes all Toyota cars suck because of the other faulty ones.[/QUOTE]

Not more than half of Toyotas stopped working after a couple of years unlike the 360s.

I have a PS3 so I got that covered. The wii does not have bluray and they are doing pretty fine last time I checked.

[quote name='grumpier']Not more than half of Toyotas stopped working after a couple of years unlike the 360s.[/QUOTE]

3 year warranty got you covered brother. My console has been fixed twice. Total cost = $0

A Toyota could get you killed. At least the faulty 360s haven't killed people... yet.

[quote name='token2k6'](dammit forgot that third one..but I swear I totally had it!)[/QUOTE]

...maybe that M$ wants to turn gaming consoles into computers where you want your customers to constantly upgrade every year?

Its like I am pissed off but happy at the same time.:bomb:

I came over to consoles after being dedicated to the PC because of hardware upgrades last gen.

This gen its like I am back into that black hole.

Those pictures tell me that the HDD is proprietary and that sucks big time.

I'll sleep on it for awhile but I doubt I am going to bite on this due to that.

(I bought a MW2 SE console last December + N adapter+ optical adapter...and now its like everything for it is obsolete...WTF!:hot::bomb:)

[quote name='oasisboy']3 year warranty got you covered brother. My console has been fixed twice. Total cost = $0[/QUOTE]

And after the third year ends. I was just over a month past my 3rd year when my launch 360 died.

[quote name='oasisboy']My opinion is that you are a fanboy for jumping to conclusions based on your past experience with the console. You sound like the type of guy who believes all Toyota cars suck because of the other faulty ones.[/QUOTE]

Let's see, I own a 360, Wii, PS3 and a Toyota. Yep, I'm a fanboy. Kiss my ass.

I hope this 360 solved all the problems but I will believe it when I see it.

[quote name='grumpier']And after the third year ends. I was just over a month past my 3rd year when my launch 360 died.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that sucks.

[quote name='lllGurulll']Let's see, I own a 360, Wii, PS3 and a Toyota. Yep, I'm a fanboy. Kiss my ass.

I hope this 360 solved all the problems but I will believe it when I see it.[/QUOTE]

Do you believe Toyota has fixed their break pad issues or do you have to see it to believe it?

Since M$ is adopting piano black as the official color for their slim now, does it mean they will re-release their current accessories in black color? Say, Keypad and quick battery charger have always come in white so far.

Looks pretty awesome, but seems like the sort of thing to wait on. Chances are the prices are gonna drop fairly quick, not to mention the chance of bundles or whatever.

Im more than content with my FF13 Bundle console for another year ^_^.

I bit... had $40 video game credit and the resident evil 360 I have actually has solid resell so it won't cost much at all for an upgrade. Thanks for the heads up on amazon 2 day shipping and no tax for the win.

[quote name='oasisboy']Do you believe Toyota has fixed their break pad issues or do you have to see it to believe it?[/QUOTE]

Good lord man. Do you even watch the news. Toyotas problems are far from over.

hmmm. I may sell mine on ebay and buy this.....my console has started giving me no disc errors that are really annoying.

how hard is it to transfer all the data and downloaded games?

[quote name='grumpier']I am pretty sure these will be good to go I am sure they will have tested the hell out of these.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully they did learn from all their previous mistakes.

[quote name='Don G.']hmmm. I may sell mine on ebay and buy this.....my console has started giving me no disc errors that are really annoying.

how hard is it to transfer all the data and downloaded games?[/QUOTE]
I'm getting that too and my console is from Oct/Nov last year. It's annoying as hell.

[quote name='FracturedMirror']http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/14/microsoft-no-longer-making-current-360-console/

Yep, we're screwed when/if our old systems break. Can't just buy a new arcade for less than a pro and just swap our old HDD and MU into it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that stinks that they are going down to just one SKU when the others sell out. I would rather have the option to just slap my HDD on a new arcade than fork out $300 for this thing when mine finally dies.

To put what I'm thinking right now into one word...
OMGWTFBBQGIMMENOWNOWNOW

And I can't get a job to raise that kind of money till I turn 16 in september... FFUUUUUU

[quote name='MattVid']

I never understood why people bought XBox360's, ever. It is the worst quality system ever created, in the history of the world, and is the most/close to the most popular? It shows how dumb and money oriented our society is getting. Always going for the low ball bid? No matter how crappy the product is? I can't say I am surprised.

Just put in some extra money and buy a gaming PC already. It does everything better and has basically the same games to choose from.
.[/QUOTE]

Lol @ PC Gamer.

Clearly, the millions installed base shows that there's a market for the xbox. There are people who don't want to worry about if the specs on their pc can handle the latest games. The xbox is plug and play and people like that. And despite the RROD, it's usually under warranty (yes, it's a pita) and the xbox is a lot of fun. I bought it for the games, not because my Video Card is now the latest and coolest at overclocks at a gajibillizions SuperHz.

[quote name='lllGurulll']Good lord man. Do you even watch the news. Toyotas problems are far from over.[/QUOTE]

You are like a good politician by not answering the question directly. :lol:

I am going to ask again: "Do you believe Toyota has solved the problem with the break pad or do you have to see it to believe it"?

I think it's a couple steps forward. If MS made 120's or 250's compatible with Slim, I feel it would be a step backwards. Those old hdds probably consume more power and creating a SLIM would therefore be impossible. Blu Ray is so drastic MS should leave that for xbox 720.

Has there been any confirmation that this will run better and cooler? Guess we'll have to see what folks say when they get their hands on it and get some real feedback.

[quote name='oasisboy']You are like a good politician by not answering the question directly. :lol:

I am going to ask again: "Do you believe Toyota has solved the problem with the break pad or do you have to see it to believe it"?[/QUOTE]

Do your homework. They don't have a brake pad issue. to somewhat answer your question, no, they have not solved the problem.

Of course, if you actually paid attention to the news you would know that.

[quote name='Shawn1150']I think it's a couple steps forward. If MS made 120's or 250's compatible with Slim, I feel it would be a step backwards. Those old hdds probably consume more power and creating a SLIM would therefore be impossible. Blu Ray is so drastic MS should leave that for xbox 720.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

This isn't an update. It's just a style refresh.

I hope the HDs are swappable with non-MS hds but I won't have to worry about that for a while since my jet engine elite is still humming along.

Sweet...I'm going to wait it out a bit longer. I bet there is going to be a bundle with a game soon (hoping halo reach) and I want to see if the X360 is still plagued with the same problems as before (even though I personally never experienced a problem for 2 years I did have it; before I gave it to my brother). I might buy one with a game if it comes bundled with one in the futurue.

[quote name='Jedah Doma']Has there been any confirmation that this will run better and cooler? Guess we'll have to see what folks say when they get their hands on it and get some real feedback.[/QUOTE]

No. We will have to wait for 6 months or so to get the answer to that question.

[quote name='grumpier']I am pretty sure these will be good to go I am sure they will have tested the hell out of these.[/QUOTE]

I hope so but wouldnt they have done that the moment they saw the older models going down in flames?

Even the Jaspers are not 100% fool proof.

What is curious is Gamestop putting this:

"1 year limited console warranty"

Wonder if that includes everything (meaning M$ offically thinks the red ring days are over) or if its 1 yr limited 3 yr red rings as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lllGurulll']Do your homework. They don't have a brake pad issue. to somewhat answer your question, no, they have not solved the problem.

Of course, if you actually paid attention to the news you would know that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your enlightenment. So this proves that you are the kind of guy that has to see it to believe it. If it's cars or xbox 360 consoles.

Dude, I am getting a kick out of you. I know more than you think. I actually had to do some research on Toyota for a paper on my current MBA class.

Take a chill pill and stop being so negative about Microsoft.

I just bought a $90 adapter for my 360... so if I can take my pro with a 60 gb HDD and trade it with cash of CLOSE to $90, the wireless is going back and that slim bitch is going up on my AV shelf...

[quote name='lllGurulll']No. We will have to wait for 6 months or so to get the answer to that question.[/QUOTE]

Why 6 months? why not 7 or 8 months? Another brilliant opinion?

I think you are a fanboy, this proves it.

[quote name='MikeBastard']Is being the type of person who requires proof before believing a claim such a bad thing?[/QUOTE]

So you wouldn't buy a Toyota right now? There is no evidence yet that their fixes to the faulty cars are 100% safe.

[quote name='lllGurulll']No. We will have to wait for 6 months or so to get the answer to that question.[/QUOTE]

What? Those tests will be released like next week by every gaming blog.

[quote name='oasisboy']So you wouldn't buy a Toyota right now? There is no evidence yet that their cars are 100% safe.[/QUOTE]

There is proof that they knew there was a problem and tried to hide said problem in order to not have to go through a recall. They've proved to me that they're a dishonest company, like many others. They said there wasn't a problem to begin with even though they knew there was. Why would you take the word of a known liar?

[quote name='MikeBastard']Why would you take the word of a known liar?[/QUOTE]

Because they already got a $16.4 million civil fine from the USA government

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704671904575193833913824008.html

and because they have a lawsuit that could reach $3 billion.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/class_action_lawsuit_could_cost_9IsQDy4gRE2IcWOTwuxf6I

Do you think they want to keep acting as before?

Do you think Microsoft wants to spend another couple of billion dealing with defective consoles?

bread's done
Back