Xbox 360 slim - $299 -- Old Arcade $150, Elite $250 -- READ OP

poker360

Banned
shipping to retailers this week, and available to buy this week. not yet on any websites.

Hey guys, i just picked up my xbox 360 250gb S console. I have been trying it out and will give a few impressions, including how hot this thing gets. First off, the wireless adapter works great, very easy to find my network. The console itself is beautiful, loving the buttons where they are touch sensitive. I cannot hear the console when on dashboard, but i can while playing games and the disc is spinning (still not nearly as loud as old models). There is one big issue that i AM having with this however: The thing is whisper silent, but it is also Flaming Hot. Look at the picture. See the big vent on the side? That's where all the heat is at. It's not on the back like the previous console, it doesn't seem like the fan is pushing out the heat very well. This could just be me, but i had someone else touch it to verify that they indeed thought it was outrageously HOT. Let this be a warning to buyers! .. Also i do understand this may not be a problem at all. My Wii does get hot with wii connect 24 (But not as hot as the 360..). My Mac also get's rather hot (still not as hot as the 360..). I'm just throwing this out there.

Fix: Make your 360 sit horizontally. It will help the 360 ventilate better, and won't get nearly as hot!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Pro...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-QITCFx9nwsTluOMMcV9Frw

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276552010&sr=1-7

360 Arcade will drop to $150
360 Elite will drop to $250
New 360 250GB "slim" is $300

img7345.jpg

250gb hdd, built in wireless n adapter

Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries!
includes wireless controller, headset, and composite cables

Last edited by a moderator:
So nobody has answered the question, how are you suppose to trade up and still keep all your save data....!

[quote name='Mag215']So nobody has answered the question, how are you suppose to trade up and still keep all your save data....![/QUOTE]

Yes, they have. You can use the same cable and the software is built-in on the sku.

Edit: Now I get what you're saying. How can you trade it in, apply that credit toward the new box and still keep your data? Keep the hard drive or talk your store into letting you do the transfer there.

[quote name='Mag215']So nobody has answered the question, how are you suppose to trade up and still keep all your save data....![/QUOTE]

I don't think anybody knows 100%, but I assume it is the same as it has always been.

Bottom Line : When you get the new system, it will probably have instructions.

I preordered the Kinect, just in case I want it. I doubt that it will be in short supply, but you never know at that time of year. I can always return it in-store since the shipping is free.

I like the new design, but I don't see a reason to upgrade quite yet. I still have a spare Xbox Arcade back from WM's $100 deal last December that I haven't even opened up yet.

just keep the hard drive until you get the system and then trade it in at a later date after transfer.

[quote name='polly']So much for that $199 sweet spot.

Does this feel like a price INCREASE to anyone else?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not. Remember it comes with a 250GB hard drive and built in Wireless N.

If you bought the cheapest Arcade now plus those accessories, it would cost you $400

I'm going to pick up an Arcade bundle this week, but I'm confused. The price for the bundle is currently set at $199; Target has it now with $30 GC and Wal-Mart has it with a $50 eCard. Since the date that these lower prices go in effect for the older systems, do you think that I could get $50 credit (the amount the price will drop) at a later time if I bought a system this week?

I have a 60GB 360 that I'm happy with, but I'm looking for a cheapy system that I can set up away from my living room. This way, I can freely obsess over Mass Effect 2 while my roommates can watch Netflix instant streaming without there being any conflict with the TV control.

[quote name='MIGGO']I'm going to pick up an Arcade bundle this week, but I'm confused. The price for the bundle is currently set at $199; Target has it now with $30 GC and Wal-Mart has it with a $50 eCard. Since the date that these lower prices go in effect for the older systems, do you think that I could get $50 credit (the amount the price will drop) at a later time if I bought a system this week?

I have a 60GB 360 that I'm happy with, but I'm looking for a cheapy system that I can set up away from my living room. This way, I can freely obsess over Mass Effect 2 while my roommates can watch Netflix instant streaming without there being any conflict with the TV control.[/QUOTE]

Why would you need to? The price drops tomorrow morning.

[quote name='Cindaddy']Why would you need to? The price drops tomorrow morning.[/QUOTE]

Really? I'm sorry, I knew that the newer system was being sent out, but didn't realize that the price drops were happening THAT fast.

Cheap system!

Just sold my MW2 Elite to a co worker for $175 (i'm friends with him so I couldn't charge $200 like I wanted to). However even better deal for me he doesnt need the HD! So I have a spare 250GB one to either trade in or sell. :D

Also just traded in 4 games for like $90 in credit. :) Gonna get the slim at Gamestop tomorrow!! Woohoo!!

[quote name='MIGGO']Really? I'm sorry, I knew that the newer system was being sent out, but didn't realize that the price drops were happening THAT fast.

Cheap system![/QUOTE]

Yeah, its a great deal for people who were planning to buy a 360 anyway but didnt like the price.

But as far as the Slim goes, it just seems like a rip-off at this point. Not many advantages compared to the current ones, and its practically double the price

[quote name='Dustin Echoes']Absolutely not. Remember it comes with a 250GB hard drive and built in Wireless N.

If you bought the cheapest Arcade now plus those accessories, it would cost you $400[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's just me then. I just recall the value proposition being the Sony argument and the Xbox point was low cost of entry with optional add ons that were about choice. Now everyone seems to be jumping ship and hyped about a feature (wifi) that we all pretty much agreed should have been included from the get go and was already overpriced as it was.

I know it's shiny and new, and how we all love that kind of thing, but damn, MS sure pulled off a magic trick today. I think the press isn't calling them on it because they just got free ones. Bottom line, the cost of a replacement console just went up $100 (once the remaining stock of arcades sell out.)

Disclaimer: This is coming from someone that prefers 360 over PS3

[quote name='MIGGO']Really? I'm sorry, I knew that the newer system was being sent out, but didn't realize that the price drops were happening THAT fast.

Cheap system![/QUOTE]

I didn't realize there were such good deals out there starting tomorrow. :D I might be joining you.

[quote name='polly']Maybe it's just me then. I just recall the value proposition being the Sony argument and the Xbox point was low cost of entry with optional add ons that were about choice. Now everyone seems to be jumping ship and hyped about a feature (wifi) that we all pretty much agreed should have been included from the get go and was already overpriced as it was.

I know it's shiny and new, and how we all love that kind of thing, but damn, MS sure pulled off a magic trick today. I think the press isn't calling them on it because they just got free ones. Bottom line, the cost of a replacement console just went up $100 (once the remaining stock of arcades sell out.)

Disclaimer: This is coming from someone that prefers 360 over PS3[/QUOTE]

Agreed, my favorite thing to do when a console was dying, trade it in and buy the cheapest version, now......i doubt i can rely on that anymore

I remember seeing a article on kotaku about target offering the arcade for 150 plus a 50 dollar gift card. Would there be anyway to price match this deal at another store.

[quote name='Cindaddy']I didn't realize there were such good deals out there starting tomorrow. :D I might be joining you.[/QUOTE]

Walmart's $50 off is online only. Target's $30 GC was in Sunday's ad -- we'll see how it goes.

[quote name='killer9']Anyone have any clue on if the rrod 3 year warranty covers this new system[/QUOTE]

No new warranty is now 1 year. The new motherboard is supposed to be very stable however.

remember kids - early adopters might be able to brag about getting it first but always lose out in the end...

first wave of xbox 360's no hdmi/med hd lots of rrods - then wait for inevitable death of the console.

followed by 500 different sku's - thinking ooh i want that, no... that, i mean that. i was thinking about getting an elite but now i'm gonna wait and see.

with everything M$ has put us thru with hardware, it's funny that we just keep on coming back with our wallets wide open don't we...:drool:

Best thing to do is::::::

Get BestBuy to pricematch Target ..... they will match the $149 price, BUT instead of giving you a $30 giftcard they will instead knock $30 off the price automatically again ....bringing Arcade price out the door to $119

I always do this anytime I want something and someone else has a giftcard offer ..... its in thier PM'ing policy

Given that MS will release Xbox Slim Arcade for $199 at the end of summer, the REAL question is:

Try to get Xbox Arcade now for $149 w/ $50GC ...or wait a few months for new version for $199.

Which would you choose?

[quote name='polly']"We are going to have a replacement for the $199 Arcade. That'll be sometime in late summer.
WILL IT HAVE A HARD DRIVE?
We're not releasing all of the specs on it, but there will be a $199 version of this form factor."

Okay, that's a little better then.[/QUOTE]
It will have to have a HDD because our current HDDs would not work in it. But, you know what M$ will do. They will sell the arcade for 199 and charge your 99 for a 120gb HDD.

M$, it's time you stop making your HDDs proprietary.

[quote name='thzone1986']Given that MS will release Xbox Slim Arcade for $199 at the end of summer, the REAL question is:

Try to get Xbox Arcade now for $149 w/ $50GC ...or wait a few months for new version for $199.

Which would you choose?[/QUOTE]
This is just my take on it in your situation. If it were me, I would just get the current arcade and save $50. That way you can use your current HDD as I pointed out in my post above. I would be very surprised if M$ actually includes a HDD in an arcade.

[quote name='lllGurulll']This is just my take on it in your situation. If it were me, I would just get the current arcade and save $50. That way you can use your current HDD as I pointed out in my post above. I would be very surprised if M$ actually includes a HDD in an arcade.[/QUOTE]

What about for new xbox customers who don't already have a HDD?

It's already been confirmed by Microsoft that the "arcade" version and any other Xbox SKU's are only going to be known by their HDD size, and not by a "name" like they are now (elite, arcade, etc). Like on the "slim" the actual proper name is Xbox 360 250gb. Obviously this means that the new "arcade" is going to have a hard-drive, or if it doesn't it will just be called Xbox 360 or something similar.

How the HELL are you guys so rich? Someone actually said the thing is "only $300". Some of you guys are trying to get 2nd, even 3rd XBOX 360s!!! Damn i envy you guys so much...

Anyway, back to the point. Slim 360 looks very nice.

Amazon is already out of stock on pre-orders??? I thought they didn't start selling it yet. That was fast! Just how many were there?

As some one who has never had a 360 this slim model is pretty appealing. Only reason I've holden off on getting a 360 was the RROD. I'll wait a year and see how things go. Glad to see the current gen consoles are finally getting thier shit together. Sony's got thier console to an acceptable price point with a growing library of games. Microsofts seems to be rolling out with dependable hardware. Now we just need Nintendo to go hd.

[quote name='MIGGO']Walmart's $50 off is online only. Target's $30 GC was in Sunday's ad -- we'll see how it goes.[/QUOTE]

These deals are going to be good for this new Xbox 360 model?

Also, someone earlier mentioned GS is giving an extra $25 for console trade ins. How much do they pay for an excellent condition 20gb pro (no hdmi) with all the contents + original packaging?

[quote name='WyldRyce']Anyone think the new 360's will be in short supply? I'm actually planning on picking it up while keeping my old 360.[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt doubt it

[quote name='thzone1986']What about for new xbox customers who don't already have a HDD?[/QUOTE]
Well, that is an entirely different situation. In that case, I would probably just wait and see what the new arcade comes with when it is released. Keeping in mind, that will mean the old arcade is gone from retail shelves.

Thats a tough one really. I suppose, if you were considering a Arcade now then you were not worried about having a HDD anyway.

[quote name='Thorgouge']These deals are going to be good for this new Xbox 360 model?

Also, someone earlier mentioned GS is giving an extra $25 for console trade ins. How much do they pay for an excellent condition 20gb pro (no hdmi) with all the contents + original packaging?[/QUOTE]

Given the fact that the deals that I mentioned are for the current Arcade Bundles -- I will have to say, "Probably...no.".

Cant wait to hear the horror stories tommorow XD. I was actually planning to do an early morning run to gamestop (To buy a MS Point card for the new sales, before the E3 airing started), but looks like im gonna have to wait

bread's done
Back