Xbox 360 slim - $299 -- Old Arcade $150, Elite $250 -- READ OP

poker360

Banned
shipping to retailers this week, and available to buy this week. not yet on any websites.

Hey guys, i just picked up my xbox 360 250gb S console. I have been trying it out and will give a few impressions, including how hot this thing gets. First off, the wireless adapter works great, very easy to find my network. The console itself is beautiful, loving the buttons where they are touch sensitive. I cannot hear the console when on dashboard, but i can while playing games and the disc is spinning (still not nearly as loud as old models). There is one big issue that i AM having with this however: The thing is whisper silent, but it is also Flaming Hot. Look at the picture. See the big vent on the side? That's where all the heat is at. It's not on the back like the previous console, it doesn't seem like the fan is pushing out the heat very well. This could just be me, but i had someone else touch it to verify that they indeed thought it was outrageously HOT. Let this be a warning to buyers! .. Also i do understand this may not be a problem at all. My Wii does get hot with wii connect 24 (But not as hot as the 360..). My Mac also get's rather hot (still not as hot as the 360..). I'm just throwing this out there.

Fix: Make your 360 sit horizontally. It will help the 360 ventilate better, and won't get nearly as hot!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Pro...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-QITCFx9nwsTluOMMcV9Frw

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276552010&sr=1-7

360 Arcade will drop to $150
360 Elite will drop to $250
New 360 250GB "slim" is $300

img7345.jpg

250gb hdd, built in wireless n adapter

Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries!
includes wireless controller, headset, and composite cables

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']By the way, for those questioning the $50gc Wally World is giving away with Arcades...check it out: http://gizmodo.com/5564542/walmart-...rop-and-offers-50-gift-card-with-game-bundles[/QUOTE]

I think it's less that they were doubting Walmart as they'd advertised the $50 gift card, but that Target, who'd previously only had a $30 gift card is now giving a $50 card instead, therefore making them the same price.

As for the walmart deal, I was just there at 3pm today and they had about 5, of which I snagged one and got the $150+$50GC.

[quote name='ParticleReality']Sorry, perhaps I should have phrased the question better. I was asking if Gift card came with the the Spring Arcade bundle that comes with Banjo & Viva Pinata. I apologize for the confusion.

Is the GC an instant thing? Like will it prompt them to give me one as soon as they ring it up? I only ask because I fear they'll check the ad and give me a $30 GC instead.[/QUOTE]

I goth the Spring Arcade Bundle w Banjo and Viva Pinata and the $50 Gift Card deal was valid with it. When they scan the box, it prompts them to scan a gift card, then it should add $50 to the gift card balance without them doing anything special. You can ask them how much the gift card is to double check.

I've read about some people saying their Target didn't having this deal, but I assume that is because their system wasn't updated yet.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Play your PS3 or Wii.[/QUOTE]

I uhhh...do*cough* have e*cough*er of those.

Is it hot in here?

Gah. I've been thinking over whether I wanna drop the $90 for the wireless adapter this past week so I can up and move the 360 into my bedroom and now this is announce this and it comes with wireless for a total of $300 :( Here's to hoping they drop the price of the wireless adapter because of this *crosses fingers*

Should I wait to get a X360 S? I hear that the newer version still scratches the hell out of the disk. Don't want my games to get scratched up

[quote name='EarthKing']Should I wait to get a X360 S? I hear that the newer version still scratches the hell out of the disk. Don't want my games to get scratched up[/QUOTE]

The slim only scratches disks if you're a dummy that goes shaking their console about while the game is loading. Are you that type of fellow?

[quote name='ParticleReality']The slim only scratches disks if you're a dummy that goes shaking their console about while the game is loading. Are you that type of fellow?[/QUOTE]

No but I used to have a X360 (just stayed in one spot and wasn't moved once since I placed it on the bottom shelf of my cabinet btw) and most of my disks ended up scratched...They still played, but still I hate scratches on my disks lol.

[quote name='kylerg']If you move it while playing you deserve to have it scratched.[/QUOTE]

tell this to the play and charge kit :cool:

but ya i never have a problem with disc scratching. what's up with everyone and this recently. First it was "it only does red ring" from ps3 owners, now it's disc scratching from both parties..

[quote name='kylerg']if you read anything..~100[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn't think my piece-o-crap without HDMI would be worth just as much as the others...

I'm glad you felt smart saying that the way you did...you probably don't get to feel that way very often...

[quote name='EarthKing']Should I wait to get a X360 S? I hear that the newer version still scratches the hell out of the disk. Don't want my games to get scratched up[/QUOTE]
If you want the new one then wait for it -- if you're fine with the current model then go for the $150 Arcade w/ free $50 GC from Walmart/Target

You can use up to a 16gb USB stick to save stuff or you can go buy a hard drive

has microsoft or anyone else talked about how reliable the hardware on the slim is? like did they discuss red rings etc, since i've heard speculation (and i also assume) the new designs lower the failure rate.

[quote name='y2jasper']has microsoft or anyone else talked about how reliable the hardware on the slim is? like did they discuss red rings etc, since i've heard speculation (and i also assume) the new designs lower the failure rate.[/QUOTE]They claim they have fixed the problem. And I would have to agree seeing how the newer Jasper models from last year were pretty much fixed.

Man it's tempting to get an arcade for $150 + $50 GC...I know my launch console is going to crap out anytime now and I already had put a 250GB drive in it so for $100 I would have a new 250GB console...it might be a bit louder than these new slims but would be $200 less...

Do the arcades have the 45nm chips inside or at least run cooler than the previous models?

[quote name='y2jasper']has microsoft or anyone else talked about how reliable the hardware on the slim is? like did they discuss red rings etc, since i've heard speculation (and i also assume) the new designs lower the failure rate.[/QUOTE]

I think in a Giantbomb interview the rep said they were the best yet.

Don't put your console vertically and you won't have a problem.

thanks for the fast answers guys. makes me really consider doing the upgrade at gamestop.

one other question, are the transfer kits available in stores yet? i don't see them on amazon or gamestop.

[quote name='y2jasper']thanks for the fast answers guys. makes me really consider doing the upgrade at gamestop.

one other question, are the transfer kits available in stores yet? i don't see them on amazon or gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Transfer kits are currently available only from MS. You can call 800-4my-xbox and ask if they'll start selling in stores.

Might change but probably won't.

EDIT: looks like others are sayiny Gamestop will have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard that at our store we are getting one transfer kit for each system. I did not work today but should have better information tomorrow.

[quote name='KaitouDark']Don't put your console vertically and you won't have a problem.[/QUOTE]

I never put my consoles vertical...They're all horizontal.

Install all your games and you will not have problems. The console will basically always be quiet. I have installed all my games since the feature came out and I haven't had a single issue yet.

I'm wondering if GS somehow got first dibs on this. Amazon says it's not available until Saturday and I can't find it listed on pages like Best Buy or Walmart.

BTW the transfer kit that you got from the 250 GB, or 120 GB Hard Drives are the ones ms is selling. I just looked it up on xbox.com and looked at the transfer cable. It is a perfect match to the transfer cable I got with my 250 GB Hard Drive.

You could always just buy that transfer cable at a place like Costco or Walmart and just return it after you use it. I know it isn't the most ethical thing to do but it is a solution to having to pay additional fees to upgrade to this new Xbox 360.

In other news, I have been tracking some early auctions of this new thing on eBay and prices are already over $330 on a few of them. One guy is selling it for 449 buy it now and has already sold two. Pretty funny if you ask me.

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Gamestop is supposed to start carrying them as of tomorrow....

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/productDetails.aspx?sku=800353[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BWOzar']FYI It is on gamestop

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=78160[/QUOTE]

ah, i was searching for transfer KIT and it didnt show anything. hm what are the chances of buying the cable, using it, and then returning it for a refund? since the return policy says opened accessories can be returned after being opened.

[quote name='seanr1221']I'm wondering if GS somehow got first dibs on this. Amazon says it's not available until Saturday and I can't find it listed on pages like Best Buy or Walmart.[/QUOTE]

For some reason my order on Amazon still has a June 18th delivery date

[quote name='slickkill77']For some reason my order on Amazon still has a June 18th delivery date[/QUOTE]

Hope so. Want my GS.com order to go through quickly. Would help if all the units go to GS. ;) Haha, j/k.

I doubt even MS would pick GS over amazon, Best Buy, Target and Walmart combined.

But it hasn't shipped yet...Sorry should of put that originally. I have two day shipping as well and I ordered it yesterday basically as soon as it went up

im surprised so many ppl are buying the slim at that price im going to wait until the holidays or when theres a price drop to pick one up.

[quote name='Thorgouge'] I know it isn't the most ethical thing to do but it is a solution to having to pay additional fees to upgrade to this new Xbox 360.
[/QUOTE]

Don't talk return fraud. That's a quick trip to ban-town

[quote name='slickkill77']But it hasn't shipped yet...Sorry should of put that originally. I have two day shipping as well and I ordered it yesterday basically as soon as it went up[/QUOTE]
Well if it ships on the 17th and you get it on the 18th that is technically 2 day shipping still. That's often how games get shipped for me (ships early one day and I get it late the next).

The system looks really nice, and I totally want one, but I simply don't play my 360 enough to warrant taking the financial hit of trying to trade my current premium toward a slim. The market is going to be glutted with old 360s.

[quote name='realskillz']im surprised so many ppl are buying the slim at that price im going to wait until the holidays or when theres a price drop to pick one up.[/QUOTE]

My original launch 20gb 360 had been repaired for RROD and was bound to die again eventually. Sold it to GS a couple weeks ago. I bought a refurb MW2 360 30 days ago tomorrow (16th). When I saw the new 360 and knew it was coming this week, I asked myself why would I keep a unit I paid more for that was a refurb versus a brand new 360 with built in Wireless N and advertised (advertised!) to be quiet? It didn't hurt that I had been annoyed recently by the sound of the 360's fans and wondering why I'd ever buy a game for the 360 over the PS3 when I had to hear so much loud noise. Even when the games were installed to the hd.

That's why I need a new 360. Because I don't actually have one atm and I do have a collection of games. Why not save money and get a better unit with a longer warranty that's future-proof for Kinnect (which they've not proven is worth the money yet)? ;)

PS:

It's going to look awesome with my launch 60gb PS3 (Phat). Its like Microsoft knew it'd match and said, "Hey, we've already got the casual gamers and the Apple fans. Now, let's get serious." Its a slick redesign as far as color scheme goes. Need to see the angles in person to decide if they're better, too. But really, I knew I was going to return the refurb when it being quieter was one of their main bullets.

I hope this teaches them to make the damn console quiet next time. No electronic device should be louder than a hair drier if its meant to be under your TV.

Is the DVD drive any quieter on this one? We have a Jasper that was made in March and it works fine but dang that dvd drive is a noisy son of a mofuck.
Thinking about trading it in towards the slim but then again might just go with another PS3.:bouncy:

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']My original launch 20gb 360 had been repaired for RROD and was bound to die again eventually. Sold it to GS a couple weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

How much did you get for it? I am considering trading mine in along with a PSP 1000...

[quote name='BackInBlack']the dvd drive is of no concern to me as I will be installing all my games regardless for better load times and NO use of the dvd drive.[/QUOTE]
Kind of hard to install them without the dvd drive:drool:

Well Neo, I believe they made enough for every store they ship to to have 5 or so at launch and enough to reward the audience at their conference

[quote name='Ragnorok64']The system looks really nice, and I totally want one, but I simply don't play my 360 enough to warrant taking the financial hit of trying to trade my current premium toward a slim. The market is going to be glutted with old 360s.[/QUOTE]
I'm hoping for a price drop on the old 360 hard drives so I can finally upgrade my 20gb.

[quote name='Unaki']Well Neo, I believe they made enough for every store they ship to to have 5 or so at launch and enough to reward the audience at their conference[/QUOTE]

I sure hope it's more than 5....

[quote name='genfuyung']I'm hoping for a price drop on the old 360 hard drives so I can finally upgrade my 20gb.[/QUOTE]

Same here. :lol:

[quote name='Neo']I sure hope it's more than 5....[/QUOTE]
Well, think about it. Since the system was shipped as a complete surprise, they obviously didn't have a lot of systems so most stores are going to get a low amount until next week when they can pull more from the factories.

bread's done
Back