XBox 360 Slim at Costco $293.99

i want to exchange but i feel guilty for returnining a working system. that's how much i like costco.
i'm gonna wait til it breaks.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Time to return my fat 360 i bought for $400 3 years ago and get this plus some cashback from costco :)[/QUOTE]

Better watch out if you plan to return it to Costco for a refund, they changed their return policies. You can't just return something years later because you want a new model now.

[quote name='Thorgouge']Better watch out if you plan to return it to Costco for a refund, they changed their return policies. You can't just return something years later because you want a new model now.[/QUOTE]

He should be grandfathered because 3 years ago, consoles were not part of the new policy. It was only for TVs, iPods, computers, cameras, etc... but, if more people do what he does, eventually all electronics will have a limited return period.

A side note, I saw one local Costco nearly refused one customer's return because he had been returning too many video games related items within a certain period. I was in the return line returning a pair of jeans and the guy in front of me was trying to return his video game without receipt. Game was unopened. The CSR went to the computer and came back telling him this would be the last video game related return accept, bascially telling him he couldn't return anymore video game stuff for a year. This is ymmv, but Costco seems to be stepping up with the system abusers.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MPoWeRM3']He should be grandfathered because 3 years ago, consoles were not part of the new policy. It was only for TVs, iPods, computers, cameras, etc... but, if more people do what he does, eventually all electronics will have a limited return period.[/QUOTE]

I tried to take back a (at the time) 7-year old broken down 25-disc changing stereo with receipt to two different Costcos. They both refused (with managers involved) even though the policy at the time (I really know because I worked there during college years; bleh) was to bring it back anytime. We had stories of people bringing back 10 year old plants getting their money back. They wouldn't admit to that being their old policy. They tried to guilt trip me in to "you don't think you got $400 worth of entertainment over the years?"

They are so bad now that in another CS's eyes that she didn't even want to take back some 88 day old HP laptops that I got.

And to top it all off, I've spoken to about 7 CS's about my change of addresses over the years of moving. The in-mail coupons still go only to my initial address. The only way that I still got the coupons is because I was lucky that previous people at each place got the coupons (and their change of address never worked for them). CS says they can't do anything because it's outsourced. Umm, they need a fresh list every month and dump their current DB.

Their Chicken Bakes' dough is no longer good tasting. Am I eating rubber now?

They are no longer the store I once knew.

[quote name='voidedx']I tried to take back a (at the time) 7-year old broken down 25-disc changing stereo with receipt to two different Costcos. They both refused (with managers involved) even though the policy at the time (I really know because I worked there during college years; bleh) was to bring it back anytime. We had stories of people bringing back 10 year old plants getting their money back. They wouldn't admit to that being their old policy. They tried to guilt trip me in to "you don't think you got $400 worth of entertainment over the years?"

They are so bad now that in another CS's eyes that she didn't even want to take back some 88 day old HP laptops that I got.

And to top it all off, I've spoken to about 7 CS's about my change of addresses over the years of moving. The in-mail coupons still go only to my initial address. The only way that I still got the coupons is because I was lucky that previous people at each place got the coupons (and their change of address never worked for them). CS says they can't do anything because it's outsourced. Umm, they need a fresh list every month and dump their current DB.

They are no longer the store I once knew.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but while policy is policy, I don't think Costco is wrong to reject people who try to return things after keeping them for years on end. I'm not accusing you of anything because I don't know what the circumstances are. That said, people who return electronics or other products after 3/4/5+ years are clearly IMHO abusing the system, especially given the vast majority of stores don't honor returns past 30 days.

In the end, all those return by abusers just hurt the customers because Costco will pass those losses onto the buyers. I'm glad Costco has altered their policy.

I bought my original bundle from Costco 4 years ago for $400. Costco has been great to me over the years and they're a company that treats both its employees and customers well. I didn't have it in me to return something from 4 years just because I could. I ended up trading it in to GameStop and haven't regret that decision for even a second even though it was 80 bucks out of my pocket rather than the other way around.

Costco was a great college job for me. Nothing like getting your hours in before school stocking the freezers with the radios blaring music or being a caller before they had scanners. The caller thing(system) is weird in retrospect, but at the time seemed normal. The good old days. Paid pretty good for a college job too.

To this day, unless its some crazy ass good deal, I only buy certain things at Costco like TVs and such, because its so much better and easier returning them to Costco when you get a lemon that doesn't show itself for a bit.

I never took over advantage of the return policy, actually I don't think I've ever returned anything after like 90 days or so.

I'm also glad Costco has altered their return policies. Better in the long run for customers and employees and share holders too.

[quote name='genius33']anyone care to explain how six dollars off is a deal???[/QUOTE]

Because you save a total of $6.36

[quote name='romeogbs19']No offense, but while policy is policy, I don't think Costco is wrong to reject people who try to return things after keeping them for years on end. I'm not accusing you of anything because I don't know what the circumstances are. That said, people who return electronics or other products after 3/4/5+ years are clearly IMHO abusing the system, especially given the vast majority of stores don't honor returns past 30 days.

In the end, all those return by abusers just hurt the customers because Costco will pass those losses onto the buyers. I'm glad Costco has altered their policy.[/QUOTE]

but you do realize, that if he's not breaking the policy, they're breaking the law by denying his return? unless of course there's a lil fine print saying they're allowed to deny any return? if not, they're breaking the law, you gotta read the ummmm terms and conditions of the membership.

I believe that if you have a policy like that, you should honor it, if you don't like it, you should change it, but don't trick people into thinking that is the policy while really denying them, because that, is consumer fraud :)

oh and @genius33, it's a deal cause they actually have it in stock xD

Because I'm so out of the loop, what is their new return policy on video game systems then? 90-days like the rest of their electronics?

[quote name='choffy21']Because I'm so out of the loop, what is their new return policy on video game systems then? 90-days like the rest of their electronics?[/QUOTE]

No. Video game systems are not included in the 90 day return policy.

[quote name='kanwal236']but you do realize, that if he's not breaking the policy, they're breaking the law by denying his return? unless of course there's a lil fine print saying they're allowed to deny any return? if not, they're breaking the law, you gotta read the ummmm terms and conditions of the membership.
[/QUOTE]

I think all that really matters is what sections of the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) the state they are operating in has adopted. It pretty much trumps any store policies. Granted it's been over a decade since I was in school and had a business law class.

However, knowing some bits of the UCC can be useful, especially when dealing with a store that doesn't want to accept a legitimate return for something that is defective or does not function as described on the package, advertisement, or be the store salesperson. i've never had to break that one out on a store manager, but I'm guessing they would just cave and if you said "It doesn't matter what store policy is, the UCC as adopted by stipulates ....." to avoid getting the lawyers involved. Though some of you guys who have been store managers might have some good stories about this.

Hmm.. I'm tempted to try the return thing to see if it works.
When did they change their return policy and I'll need a receipt right?

[quote name='voidedx']I tried to take back a (at the time) 7-year old broken down 25-disc changing stereo with receipt to two different Costcos. They both refused (with managers involved) even though the policy at the time (I really know because I worked there during college years; bleh) was to bring it back anytime. We had stories of people bringing back 10 year old plants getting their money back. They wouldn't admit to that being their old policy. They tried to guilt trip me in to "you don't think you got $400 worth of entertainment over the years?"

They are no longer the store I once knew.[/QUOTE]

they can change the address for the coupons, my ex wife went to costco just to spite me and kicked me off the card added her mom and changed the coupon address to her house. It was a nice surprise that night having a cartload of stuff and my membership card rejected!!!!!

If you move the CS terminal can pull everything up and you can do anything, who knows if every person working there will or knows how to

[quote name='Thorgouge']Better watch out if you plan to return it to Costco for a refund, they changed their return policies. You can't just return something years later because you want a new model now.[/QUOTE]

Ex post facto baby!!!! they changed the policy 2 years ago

[quote name='genius33']anyone care to explain how six dollars off is a deal???[/QUOTE]
So far no free gift card or discount at any store I am aware of.

bread's done
Back