Xbox 360 to get Wii-mote type peripheral soon? Code name "Newton"

Maklershed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
From xobx360fanboy:

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/04/07/rumor-microsoft-has-wii-mote-copycat-coming/

MTV News recently posted an interesting piece of gossip concerning Microsoft's possible answer to Wii-mote. According to an anonymous developer, Microsoft has had this project in the wings since summer 2007 and hopes to have it out before the end of the year. Believe it or not it's rumored that of all companies, Rare has been working on it. Rare is a games software company, so why they'd be tasked with making hardware is beyond us, but it would answer some lingering questions ...

Rare's The Fast and The Furriest for XBLA is going to use the Vision Cam, and the "X-mote" is rumored to use the Vision Cam. Rare is also hard at work on another 360 project that is as-of-yet unrevealed, and is supposed to hit before the year is out. Combined with the fact that Microsoft is already rumored to be working a motion-sensing controller, and the fact that they don't seem too concerned with with the second half of 2008 make us think that this could be plausible.

But does plausible mean desirable? Read on ...

[Via N4G]

According to the anonymous developer the entire project is in the toilet because Rare has continuously failed to produce when deadlines come around. Combined with the rumor that what they did make wasn't very useful, and led to a lot of generic work, and well, if this comes out, it doesn't'sound like it could challenge the Wii in any way shape or form. Well, that's not entirely true, the dev does say that the remote does everything the Wii's can do and includes a mic.

The actual story on MTVnews is a pretty good read, and is really rather amusing at times: '"The whole thing is a colossal clusterf---," the source said. "[Microsoft] marketing just want it so they can match the Wii point for point. The biggest parts of their marketing materials outline how easy it would be for third parties to port their Wii games to the 360."

UPDATE 4/9/08 - Peripheral code named "Newton"

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/09/rumor-microsoft-motion-controller-code-named-newton/

After one of us who shall remain nameless had to sing Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend" on a certain podcast as the result of a lost bet, we've learned not to doubt Jacob Metcalf. You may remember him as the first to report the Bungie/Microsoft split. He says he's once again tapped his inside sources to get more information about a motion controller reportedly under development at Microsoft, which he claims is codenamed "Newton."

Metcalf reports that the controller is fundamentally like the Wiimote in design, with a USB-powered sensor bar and "rumble motors, wireless two way data communication with the 360, a built in Microphone for Xbox Live and voice-activated games." It's sounds great, but, as Metcalf says, we hope it comes with a free USB hub. We're filling slots faster than our grandmother in Atlantic City

The original article is written by Bryan Klepeck. I was under the impression he's fairly reputable in the game world. Same goes for Steven Dutillo although he has nothing to do w/ the article.

I think that its useless technology, as far as game control goes. After an hour of using the Wiimote I was bored with it.

Hope this is a joke (thought I read something about it in a magazine too though) and they should instead replace the standard pc mouse with something like that.

Yeah, I doubt this is true. Too late in the gen to bother with some half assed motion control add on.

I imagine we'll see some type of motion control in the next x-box though. Personally, I didn't dig motion control much, and ditched my launch Wii early this year.

Its Patrick Kepleck the former 1up news guy, who thinks he is to great for everything, and is annoying as fuck on podcasts.

[quote name='InuFaye']Its Patrick Kepleck the former 1up news guy, who thinks he is to great for everything, and is annoying as fuck on podcasts.[/quote]

Sounds like Shane Bettenhausen to me.

[quote name='the3rdkey']Wii games are terrible except the 1st party as usual. Why would MS want Carnival Games and Hannah Montana?[/QUOTE]

Because they sell a shit-ton?

Sure. I'll go right out and pick up a pair, as soon as I put down this awesome Microsoft portable gaming machine. You know, the one reputable journalist Dean Takahashi said was coming out? Yeah.

No one has really made good use of motion sense controls yet aside from a game or two by Nintendo themselves, so I dont see why Microsoft would blatantly rip them off at this point.

I doubt this news is true.

[quote name='TimPV3']They already fucked up the concept of the Eyetoy, why not let them fail to utilize this too.[/quote]

eyetoy was useless and didn't take off either.

I'm smelling bogus. I remember there were rumors for Microsoft to release a new controller that was more accurate for FPS motion, and that has never happened.

Unfortunately I don't think Microsoft would be able to pull something like this off correctly.

I would be happy to be wrong though....

The analog stick in the picture indicated to me that it's a fake.

i can see where it could have potential, fps on the wii are fun and easier with the wiimote, giving people a choice to play it on the 360 earning the points with an easier (stolen) setup is a smart idea, id probably buy one for certain games, but knowing ms it will probably be for one game and with very few games supporting it like the vision camera

My thought on this subject is that if it is true then hasn't Microsoft (and Sony for that matter) stolen enough of Nintendo's idea's. I mean first the rumble pack and then the analog sticks. Why doesn't Microsoft spend some of its own money and come up with new idea's instead of stealing everybody else's.

[quote name='Ramza394']My thought on this subject is that if it is true then hasn't Microsoft (and Sony for that matter) stolen enough of Nintendo's idea's. I mean first the rumble pack and then the analog sticks. Why doesn't Microsoft spend some of its own money and come up with new idea's instead of stealing everybody else's.[/quote]

the xbox revolutionized consoles in a way. It had online play, a hard drive, DLC, a whole bunch of FPS, a mic for online play, a friends list, and probably a few more.

[quote name='help1']I'm smelling bogus. I remember there were rumors for Microsoft to release a new controller that was more accurate for FPS motion, and that has never happened.[/quote]

Yes, I also recall the other bastard concept controller, and it disappeared. I do hope this is a joke. Motion-based controls is a gimmick that will disappear once the Wii retires.

I'm sure they are researching this sort of thing and, honestly, I don't mind it. Let them make waggle control style games. The only time I'll ever have a problem is if they start trying to shoehorn those controls into games that don't need them. Don't get your waggle in any proven concepts, it doesn't make them better.

bread's done
Back