Xbox 360 vs PS3

first off I would stay with the 360 unless there is something that is coming out only on the ps3 in the next couple of months. I would imagine they will have another price cut in under a year, and if there isn't any must have titles for you on the ps3, stick with the 360.

As for getting yours fixed, if you tell the customer service at msft that it is a red ring of death, they will take it back. Peter Moore was on record saying around E3, that if they got the system back regardless if it was red ringed or not, they would fix it.

I love my PS3. You should pick one up if you got the cash. Oblivion, Ratchet & Clank, Motorstorm, Skate, a couple of Blu-rays... your set.

PS3 by a slim margin. It has great games across multiple genres and doesn't heavily dominate in one (like FPS, especially if you're not into them like me). It's had the best October out of any console IMO and has an awesome 2008. Also, if you get a PS3 with BC, the amount of software it can play cannot be beat.

I own both a PS3 and 360, so I can make pretty good comparisons.

PS3's are way way way way more reliable than 360's.

It's really your choice which you get. How much do you care about online? If that's you main reason for playing games then Live is probably a good reason to stay with the 360, however if you only casually play online PS3's online system is more than sufficient.

Most games are going to be multiplatform besides the handful of exclusives each console has. Would you rather play Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank or Mass Effect and Ace Combat 6? (Can't think of anymore 360 exclusive games out this year, but there probably are more).

In any case, look at the exclusives for both systems and decide that way. It does however look like PS3 will have more exclusives for the rest of the year unless someone wants to prove me wrong (Haze, Uncharted, Time Crisis 4)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PS3 by a slim margin. It has great games across multiple genres and doesn't heavily dominate in one (like FPS, especially if you're not into them like me). It's had the best October out of any console IMO and has an awesome 2008. Also, if you get a PS3 with BC, the amount of software it can play cannot be beat.

I own both a PS3 and 360, so I can make pretty good comparisons.[/QUOTE]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This topic needs PC.

But the Xbox 360 is awesome. I've played the Wii a ton and I just don't like some of the games.

If you play your games alone don't even consider the Wii (someone is gonna bash me for stating that).

I can't speak for the PS3 but if you want a blu-ray player and like the free online(although it has a weak network) it may be a good pickup.

The 360 is a really good one to get. You won't regret getting a 360.

[quote name='mrelusive']... did I just arrive at GameFAQs?[/quote]
Welcome to the new cheapassgamers.com where most threads are questions ;)

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I love my PS3. You should pick one up if you got the cash. Oblivion, Ratchet & Clank, Motorstorm, Skate, a couple of Blu-rays... your set.[/QUOTE]

I'm with Chris. R&C and Skate have been in constant rotation plus I have all my PS2 RPGs to play like Persona 3 and top tier games like Uncharted coming out soon. Blu Ray doesnt hurt either...if you have a decent 720p tv things will look great.

Makaveli, you have 360 games, but you don't ever want to play them again? If that's the case, go with the ps3. If however, you think you're going to want to play them again and any new 360 games, why not just buy the arcade set, and put your hard drive on it? Unless your hard drive broke too.

Other than that, do some research of your own rather than just ask for personal opinions. Read the threads here in the 360 and 3 forums. What system has the games you want to play? Go from there.

360, especially if you already own games. The new ones are more reliable and cheaper, plus you're getting a system plus 2 games for $350, versus a no BC model for $400 with PS3, or $500 for one that plays PS2 games. Not to mention PS3 versions of games often come out either late, worse, or missing features. (See Orange Box, The Darkness, and Virtua Fighter 5 for that)

Plus there's really no compelling software for PS3 aside from a few titles. And you'd probably end up having to re-buy some of those games you already own. Blu ray might be nice, but upscaled DVDs cost half as much or less and really aren't a huge difference from what I've seen. There is a difference, but it's not really noticable unless you're thinking about it constantly whenever you're watching a movie or you have a huge TV.

PS3 -- it has BLU-RAY, Hal . . . er, I mean Resistance, Ratchet & Clank 2008, Heavenly Sword, some Yugioh-like game and it can play PS2 games*. HOW COULD YOU GO WRONG?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!~!

Look at the 360, yes it has way more games, yes it's cheaper, yes it has a better controller / online system / everything, but there's a good chance that any day, from now until you die, that'll just stop working.

I own every system ever made, get a PS3. Otherwise you just suck at life.

*only valid on 20GB, 60GB and somewhat 80GB

[quote name='jer7583']360, especially if you already own games. The new ones are more reliable and cheaper, plus you're getting a system plus 2 games for $350, versus a no BC model for $400 with PS3, or $500 for one that plays PS2 games. Not to mention PS3 versions of games often come out either late, worse, or missing features. (See Orange Box, The Darkness, and Virtua Fighter 5 for that)

Plus there's really no compelling software for PS3 aside from a few titles. And you'd probably end up having to re-buy some of those games you already own. Blu ray might be nice, but upscaled DVDs cost half as much or less and really aren't a huge difference from what I've seen. There is a difference, but it's not really noticable unless you're thinking about it constantly whenever you're watching a movie or you have a huge TV.[/QUOTE]
The Darkness looks better on the PS3 actually, http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21123.html

So yeah. And as far as looking worse you can't even tell unless you see them side by side.

[quote name='whoknows']The Darkness looks better on the PS3 actually, http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21123.html

So yeah. And as far as looking worse you can't even tell unless you see them side by side.[/QUOTE]

Point is, they're no real difference between the two, other than 360 having more & better games, but the PS3 has Blu-Ray, so it instantly wins.

Again, grab a PS3.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Point is, they're no real difference between the two, other than 360 having more & better games, but the PS3 has Blu-Ray, so it instantly wins.

Again, grab a PS3.[/QUOTE]
Well for the rest of the year 360 has 1 exclusive left (Mass Effect) while PS3 has 3 (Uncharted, TC4, Haze). All the other big games are multi-platform.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']Explain to me why there isn't a "Who fucking cares?" option in this poll?[/QUOTE]

Explain to me why I shouldn't give you a time out for trolling?

Seriously, everyone. Cut the shit. If you don't like a thread then don't post in it. It's a simple fucking concept.

[quote name='whoknows']The Darkness looks better on the PS3 actually, http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21123.html

So yeah. And as far as looking worse you can't even tell unless you see them side by side.[/quote]

I don't want to get into an argument about this but that video is rubbish, the 360 version is not in black and white as it would seem to suggest. I'm not saying the PS3 version doesn't look better, I can't cos I've never seen it running, but the 360 version looks significantly better than that.

I played that tunnel sequence at the begining a few times last night trying to get the Roadkill achievement and the colors aren't all washed out like that.

Back on topic, look at the exclusive games for each system, decide if you want a blu-ray player or not, and make your choice based on that.

I wouldnt buy another 360 just on principle. I find it quite ridiculous that someone should have to pay 300-400$ to microsoft every 2-3 years just to "rent" their system. While i've had a lot of fun on my 360 so far (until I was red ringed 2 weeks ago) theres no way in hell im giving microsoft anymore money if my system doesnt last at least 5 years without me having to pay for repairs.

But for your question I guess it depends on how long term you are looking. If you really want the best games right now get a 360 and you will probably spend more money 2-3 years down the road. If you are looking for the most enjoyment for many years to come, then I would snag a ps3.

PS: I would rent the 360 for 3 years before I would purchase a wii. The wii could last until im dead and id still regret buying it, wii is basically a gimmick console with a lot of wrist flicking, avoid at all costs lol.

[quote name='benjamouth']I don't want to get into an argument about this but that video is rubbish, the 360 version is not in black and white as it would seem to suggest. I'm not saying the PS3 version doesn't look better, I can't cos I've never seen it running, but the 360 version looks significantly better than that.

I played that tunnel sequence at the begining a few times last night trying to get the Roadkill achievement and the colors aren't all washed out like that.

Back on topic, look at the exclusive games for each system, decide if you want a blu-ray player or not, and make your choice based on that.[/QUOTE]
You don't think they are because you've never played the PS3 version.

[quote name='whoknows']You don't think they are because you've never played the PS3 version.[/quote]

If you're going to reply and quote me, could you at least take the time to read what I said, thanks.

[quote name='benjamouth']If you're going to reply and quote me, could you at least take the time to read what I said, thanks.[/QUOTE]
You said it doesn't look that washed out when you really can't tell since you haven't played both versions to compare. Gametrailers is a reliable source so I can't see why they'd make the 360 version look worse on purpose.

Understand?

I'm not going to address everything you said because I don't care about everything you said.

[quote name='whoknows']You said it doesn't look that washed out when you really can't tell since you haven't played both versions to compare. Gametrailers is a reliable source so I can't see why they'd make the 360 version look worse on purpose.

Understand?

I'm not going to address everything you said because I don't care about everything you said.[/quote]

Ok, I'm going to spell this out for you as you don't seem too quick on the uptake.

I am in no way comparing the two versions, I have not played the PS3 version, and make no comparison between the two, are you with me so far? I can only hope so.

Now, what I am saying is this, I don't know how that video was captured, but it does not accurately represent the quality of a game I was playing no more than 16 hours ago. Are you still with me??

Just to be absolutely clear on this, I make no comparison between the 360 and PS3 versions of the game. I am commenting only on the quality of the video.

Ok, got it now have we.

And of course I don't expect you to address everything I say, infact I'd rather you didn't.

You obviously are having a tough time understanding what I said so I'm not going to bother. I tried to explain it simply, but you still don't get it

[quote name='whoknows']You obviously are having a tough time understanding what I said so I'm not going to bother. I tried to explain it simply, but you still don't get it[/quote]

Well at least you can understand how I feel I suppose.

:roll:[quote name='benjamouth']Well at least you can understand how I feel I suppose.[/quote]

I think hes saying you wouldnt notice it looks washed out because you havnt played the ps3 version and you wouldnt notice the difference till you saw them side by side like in the video. Which kind of makes sense, but then again doesnt since your saying it doesnt look like it does in the video. I dont know I kind of see both sides, but I do remember it looking pretty much like the video when I played it. (360 version, going off memory though which could be wrong)

Next time I'll write "I really do want to get into an argument about this" then maybe I won't :lol:

Edit - I'm having a pop at myself there, not anyone else.

Get whatever your friends have...
Seeing as most of my distant friends are gears/halo whores... I have a 360... I also like Forza and PGR better then Grand Tourismo. Ill get a ps3 (prolly just to get Sigma, and hold me over till NG2 comes out..) but I love my 360 to death... 1 year, shit load of play time... no dvd drive crunching in 2 months or so.

[quote name='nadroj1485']PS: I would rent the 360 for 3 years before I would purchase a wii. The wii could last until im dead and id still regret buying it, wii is basically a gimmick console with a lot of wrist flicking, avoid at all costs lol.[/quote]

Avoid this post at all costs lol.

I would as others suggested, call MS and say you have RRoD. If you want to buy new games for your newly repaired system, spend your money on that. If you want a new system, get either PS3 or Wii depending on what games you like. I have all three and like them all. I like the 360 the most. It is my most played system.

I have a 360 (on loan) and a PS3. I think the PS3 is a far better machine. PS3 had wireless internet built in and using it is smooth as butter. It has every method of connectivity I could want.

I am a big Halo fan so that is how the 360 got a spot in my entertainment center. Problem though is I always have connection issues with the 360, having to restart every so often for the 360 to resolve an IP. Paying for LIVE sucks, I'm not sure many people consider that they have to pay for another service to go online with their games. (I use those 48 hour passes)

Halo also being the reason I bought an original xbox, you might be able to tell how much I enjoy the franchise. But in the Xbox/PS2 gen, Xbox was the most powerful... yielding the best graphics. By the same token, PS3 is most powerful this gen and will yield the best graphics in time.

These were the things I considered... but man the PS3 is smooooooth. :p

Xbox 360 all the way. I have all 3 systems (including 3 360s) and by far it is the most fun consistently with the best releases.

The best part about the PS3 is the PS1/PS2 Library. No Joke. God of War 2 and Final Fantasy 12 look amazing.

But once you take out cross-platform releases and the backward compatibility the decision is an easy one.

Spending $40 a year for a reliable online system (or the super expensive amount of $3.33 a month) is a no brainer. Rather then going to an unreliable, empty, (temporarily) free PSN just doesn't make sense if you are serious about playing with other gamers.

Also, just look at the big numbers, not CAG numbers. PS3 owns 17% of the market share. They cannot cover that ground by the end of this generation unless something drastic happens like a 50% price cut. Those numbers are what the publishers are looking at, so you should to. If the trend continues that devs have a hard time getting their games to work on the ps3, they will stop deving for it because it doesn't make sense to their shareholders to continue to pump money into a system that only has an attach rate of 3 when they could look at a larger customer base like the 360.

[quote name='whoknows']You don't think they are because you've never played the PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

I have both. I can tell you that I have experienced no wash out and both versions are nearly identical, save for the PS3 framerate that drops inconsistently.

The Playstation 3 has launched... PS3 has plenty games, AAA titles, good online, FREE online! Plus the system has proven that its reliable... For multiplatform releases.. Call of Duty 4 PS3 looks just as good as the 360 version, both are good, and PS3 version isn't gimped, or missing anything same game two different systems. Also, it came out on the same day. So, getting a PS3 doesn't mean that you're going to be "missing out" on anything.

Every negative argument that's coming up in regards to the PS3, is being shot down...

The PS3 online is not "perfect" but you know what, it works, and its fun.. that's all I can really say, damn we got video chat, 40 player max online via Resistance, 32 player online via Warhawk, and don't tell me for a momenty that "there's no one playing" cause if someone say that... I'm going to post pics of people playing resistance. [in game] Resistance a year later, still receiving support online, Motorstorm going on a year soon, still getting support online, and Warhawk's getting its support in december.

I'm sick of people using ... as a pause. Stop writing paragraphs like "The Playstation 3 has launched... PS3 has plenty games, AAA titles, good online, FREE online! Plus the system has proven that its reliable... For multiplatform releases.. Call of Duty 4 PS3 looks just as good as the 360 version, both are good, and PS3 version isn't gimped, or missing anything same game two different systems."

It's called a PERIOD. USE IT! .

[quote name='Thomas96']The Playstation 3 has launched... PS3 has plenty games, AAA titles, good online, FREE online! Plus the system has proven that its reliable... For multiplatform releases.. Call of Duty 4 PS3 looks just as good as the 360 version, both are good, and PS3 version isn't gimped, or missing anything same game two different systems. Also, it came out on the same day. So, getting a PS3 doesn't mean that you're going to be "missing out" on anything.

Every negative argument that's coming up in regards to the PS3, is being shot down...

The PS3 online is not "perfect" but you know what, it works, and its fun.. that's all I can really say, damn we got video chat, 40 player max online via Resistance, 32 player online via Warhawk, and don't tell me for a momenty that "there's no one playing" cause if someone say that... I'm going to post pics of people playing resistance. [in game] Resistance a year later, still receiving support online, Motorstorm going on a year soon, still getting support online, and Warhawk's getting its support in december.[/quote]
Fixing Time!

1. Actually, If you go to gamespot's comparison of the two systems tet a tet, the PS3 comes up with consistently uglier and rough textures. The colors on the 360 are more vibrant, the textures more realistic. You listed three games with PSN support. Right now, off the top of my head: Live supported games: Gears of War, Lost Planet, Rainbow Six Vegas. There's three titles right there. When those titles came out, they came directly with live support. There was no "Coming December: Live Support!" You took the game out of the case, put it in, and played online. And, we have video chat too!

Peep the link, cuz http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/

Who knows how long PSN will stay free? The logical plan of Sony marketing is to start it out free, thus gaining a fanbase of guinea pigs, and then start to charge for it. I would rather pay 3.33 a month/40.00 a year for a full featured online service than be forced to play on the barebones PS3 nonsense. Maybe one day it'll be better. All it would take is to order pizza two less times in a year in order to get live. How cheap are you?

[quote name='Gustav Holst']Fixing Time!

1. Actually, If you go to gamespot's comparison of the two systems tet a tet, the PS3 comes up with consistently uglier and rough textures. The colors on the 360 are more vibrant, the textures more realistic. You listed three games with PSN support. Right now, off the top of my head: Live supported games: Gears of War, Lost Planet, Rainbow Six Vegas. There's three titles right there. When those titles came out, they came directly with live support. There was no "Coming December: Live Support!" You took the game out of the case, put it in, and played online. (we gots vidja chat too)
Who knows how long PSN will stay free? The logical plan of Sony marketing is to start it out free, thus gaining a fanbase of guinea pigs, and then start to charge for it. I would rather pay 3.33 a month/40.00 a year for a full featured online service than be forced to play on the barebones PS3 nonsense. Maybe one day it'll be better. All it would take is to order pizza two less times in a year in order to get live. How cheap are you?[/QUOTE]
1. Yeah, the PS3 has looked worse more often than not than the 360 version, but the difference is so minimal there is no way you could tell the difference unless you compared them side by side.

2.He wasn't naming PS3 online games specifically, he was just naming some great ones online and mentioning that a large number of people can play in one game.

3. Don't know what you're talking about. There hasn't been a PS3 game that got online support after release. Not sure where you got that from.

4. Until they start charging I think it's safe to assume it's going to stay free. They may charge for some stuff in HOME, but everything else points to online play staying free. And for a free service it's pretty good, more than you'd expect for it being free. And Live is $8 a month unless you find a deal or buy the $50 card.

[quote name='Gustav Holst']Fixing Time!

1. Actually, If you go to gamespot's comparison of the two systems tet a tet, the PS3 comes up with consistently uglier and rough textures. The colors on the 360 are more vibrant, the textures more realistic. You listed three games with PSN support. Right now, off the top of my head: Live supported games: Gears of War, Lost Planet, Rainbow Six Vegas. There's three titles right there. When those titles came out, they came directly with live support. There was no "Coming December: Live Support!" You took the game out of the case, put it in, and played online. And, we have video chat too!

Peep the link, cuz http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/

Who knows how long PSN will stay free? The logical plan of Sony marketing is to start it out free, thus gaining a fanbase of guinea pigs, and then start to charge for it. I would rather pay 3.33 a month/40.00 a year for a full featured online service than be forced to play on the barebones PS3 nonsense. Maybe one day it'll be better. All it would take is to order pizza two less times in a year in order to get live. How cheap are you?[/QUOTE]

1st of all you're talking about games that were ported to the PS3 from 360, and those ports if they werenot as good on PS3 were due to devs not to anything wrong with the PS3.... Call of Duty 4 proves that. The 3 PSN online games got recent updates... what was the last update that Gears received, Rainbow six got an update, when the PS3 version was released.... so that the extra stuff on the PS3 disc would be included on Live for free... [after some had already paid for the 60 dollar game and extra for the DLC ] If you like Live then that's fine, but trust, the PS3's online situation is just fine. You ask me how cheap am I , the question should be why are you so willing to pay for.. what you can have for free... but I'm not questioning your decision, cause its about what you like, Im just saying... don't act like you had to make the decision to use live because "the PS3 online" isn't there.. its there, its working well, getting better, and its fun. [its not perfect and neither is live]

funny.. you choose Need for Speed Carbon to try and prove your point... needless to say that's sad... a game that no one's going to buy now... How about Burnout, how about Need for Speed Pro whatever.. how about simpsons, how about stranglehold... I mean damn.. I know you want to be right, in your argument, and if you're right, then okay you're right, but how can you throw up such an poor example.. try again...

.... ..... .... ..... ......I had to mention something else... you say this " Actually, If you go to gamespot's comparison of the two systems tet a tet, the PS3 comes up with consistently uglier and rough textures. The colors on the 360 are more vibrant, the textures more realistic." but I bet that you only believe that because gamespot.com said the following: "Both systems have fairly similar graphics in Need for Speed Carbon, but the Xbox 360 has better lighting while the PS3 "

If you look at the first photo, there was too much lighting with those trees, so they toned it back a little bit in the PS3 verision, this is not a failure of textures, its a devs decision, and for the most part with that particular scene, they got it right on the PS3, imo. That was a lauch title, for both systems, however, its a year later.. .lets see how well UT3 does on the 360... can't wait to see those comparison shots.

bread's done
Back