Xbox 360 Wireless N Networking Adapter

diranged13

CAG Veteran
i was thinking of upgrading my wireless g adapter to this one. has any one picked this up yet? i was wondering if it will make a big difference. i usually stream netflix and i also stream divx files from my home network. ive noticed as i try to stream an hd video with higher resolution my xbox connection lags. would this be able to stream full hd with little interruption? i usually download at 700 kbs.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wire..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1258357139&sr=8-1

Yes the reason this exists is so you can stream 1080p content wirelessly so it should help you, if your router supports Wireless N.

if it's possible for you and you don't want to shell out the hundred bucks, you could always hook your xbox up to a wireless-n enabled laptop if you have one. i do that and have no lag issues at all.

to answer your question- i think that you won't notice any major difference unless you stream a lot of HD or you have a large distance (or several walls) between your xbox and your router.

Honestly, it's not really necessary, so it might not be your problem. 802.11g is capable of a 54MBps connection, which is far more than necessary for streaming 1080p as long as the connection doesn't drop down significantly or just drop out completely.

Since it's possible to stream 1080p over an internet connection that's just a few MBps, any currently available connection for the 360 can do it within network.

So if you're having trouble streaming over the network, the bandwidth shouldn't be a problem, and if you're having trouble streaming over the internet then the bottleneck is probably your internet connection rather than your network connection.

Is there any proper way of testing for speeds and signal?

The only thing I can think of is the Network tuner within Windows Media center.
My problem is that the bar graph is very inconsisten. My bars go up and down constantly and does not seem stable. Everything is in the same room..

I have a netgear WNR3500 N router. My guess is that I may need to get a dual band n router :(

[quote name='guyver2077']Is there any proper way of testing for speeds and signal?

The only thing I can think of is the Network tuner within Windows Media center.
My problem is that the bar graph is very inconsisten. My bars go up and down constantly and does not seem stable. Everything is in the same room..

I have a netgear WNR3500 N router. My guess is that I may need to get a dual band n router :([/QUOTE]

What exactly are you looking for? You can just double click the connection in the system tray (or right click and click status) to see the signal strength and packets sent/received. You can also look at the task manager (ctrl+alt+del or ctrl+shift+esc) to see what percentage of the connection is being used.

Your adapter might have more information in its OEM software.

Has anyone had any problems with the speed of the N adapter? I recently changed from a Linksys B/G router (you know, the standard kind that everyone seems to have) to a Dlink N router. I decided to pick up the N adapter to be able to keep up w/ the router but so far i have been very disappointed.

While playing MW2 i had never had any framerate issues, even in the larger matches. I started noticing a lot of stuttering and connection slow down so i initially thought it had to be the router. Well after running some speed tests and having them all check out i decided to put my G adapter back on the xbox. Sure enough....it worked perfectly. Ive tried this like 3 times now w/ the same result of the G adapter out performing the N. I cant figure out what the problem is unless i just got a defective one...maybe?

Anyone else got an idea of some setting i might need to change?

You can stream HD over a wireless-g network, but if you then try to use another computer or game system to download some file over the same wireless-g network, or even just to browse the web, that's the kind of situation when you are going to wish you had wireless-n network. Wireless-g also isn't really capable of 54MBps in practice. That's more like a burst maximum, not sustained. I don't know the real world numbers offhand. Anyway, it is enough to stream HD, but it isn't enough to stream HD and do something else on the same wireless network. Also wireless-n gives you better range. If you wireless g signal is weak, that could be the cause of streaming issues, and then the great range of wireless-n alone would help.

My HD was spotty with my old adapter. With the new N Adapter I am pretty much always hitting the four bars on Netflicks.

I am using an Apple Airport.
I also like the black. The white always looked stupid on the Elite.

I have the Wireless N adapter for the xbox made by Microsoft and it is awesome. Watch Netflix with it. Its easier since you don't have to connect it to the wall for power and setup is built into the xbox dashboard under settings(if you have the latest dashboard).

I am not sure if it would be any better then the other, maybe though. I know personally I am on a VERY fast cable connection, and once in awhile i get connection interruption messages while watching a movie in netflix even though I am hardwired in.

If hardwiring is unavailable, I would probably go with that seeing as the reviews on it are mostly if not all positive.

I think the netflix client on the 360 just sucks balls. Nothing but a real software update is going to fix it. I use our Wii to watch netflix, as there we get no playback hiccups whatsoever. Sure it's not HD, but it looks better then the 360 when it kicks into its highly compressed mode and there are no hiccups. YMMV.

bread's done
Back