Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter - $86.99 Shipped via Amazon

[quote name='JaroldL']im looking to buy this for around $80 at least.

i hope they decrease the price even more.[/quote]

im letting mine go for $68 shipped anywhere in the U.S

its pretty much brand new, i only used it for about 2 months. but my parents switched internet providers, and now we only have a Wired router.

i got it for full price. but i dont mind letting it go to someone who needs it.

If anyone has a laptop or desktop with a wireless connection and free ethernet port, you can easily set it up to share its wireless internet connection with the 360 through an ethernet cable.

In your network connections pane in Vista, right click your wireless connection and select properties, under the sharing tab check "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection." Connect an ethernet cable between your 360 and laptop/pc and you should be good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SkylineGTR']Why is that thing so damn expensive? Anyone know?[/quote]

Cause M$ knows they can sucker thousands of people into buying it who think this their only option for wireless on their 360.

[quote name='KueMan10']Cause M$ knows they can sucker thousands of people into buying it who think this their only option for wireless on their 360.[/quote]

It pretty much is the only option for people who can't or don't want to do any extra work besides plug and play. Try explaining a bridge or DD-WRT to some people and you'll get blank stares in return.

[quote name='KueMan10']Cause M$ knows they can sucker thousands of people into buying it who think this their only option for wireless on their 360.[/QUOTE]

*Raises hand ashamed* I wouldn't have Live if I hadn't bought it.

Those Microsoft masterminds..

[quote name='Safero']If anyone has a laptop or desktop with a wireless connection and free ethernet port, you can easily set it up to share its wireless internet connection with the 360 through an ethernet cable.

In your network connections pane in Vista, right click your wireless connection and select properties, under the sharing tab check "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection." Connect an ethernet cable between your 360 and laptop/pc and you should be good to go.[/QUOTE]

Do you have to use a crossover cable for this, or does any regular ethernet cable work?

What surprises me aside from the price is that these things actually break, i bought an "as-is" one from ebay for $26, when i got it it looked brand new but never connected to the net, it just gave me a steady red light. Sent it back to M$ and they sent me a new one, so all in all i got mine for $26 ^_^

[quote name='anubis20']What surprises me aside from the price is that these things actually break, i bought an "as-is" one from ebay for $26, when i got it it looked brand new but never connected to the net, it just gave me a steady red light. Sent it back to M$ and they sent me a new one, so all in all i got mine for $26 ^_^[/quote]did you have to provide paperwork or a receipt, or how exactly did that work?

[quote name='rapsodist']It pretty much is the only option for people who can't or don't want to do any extra work besides plug and play. Try explaining a bridge or DD-WRT to some people and you'll get blank stares in return.[/quote]

Admittedly, I have one of these, but I justify it to myself since I got it at a big discount and it really is sleek looking since it just attaches to the back of the 360.

BTW your post reminded me that I saw a sign at BB for Geeksquad offering to set up console hardware for the low price of $30 :evil:

[quote name='shiftomnimega']BTW your post reminded me that I saw a sign at BB for Geeksquad offering to set up console hardware for the low price of $30 :evil:[/QUOTE]

yea i saw this too yesterday $30 got you, all of the system updates, set up user accounts and something else that i cant remember but i was laughing at it, who pays for that crap

Just a heads up...you can use the old original xbox wirless adapter with the 360. Amazon had them for $50 and I just recently grabbed one but they seem to be out of stock now. Worth it though if you can find one on the cheap.

i got mine when kmart had it on sale for $50, that was years ago, i believe. picked up three of them, sold two on ebay and got one for myself. so ultimately mine just cost me time.

are you kidding i just spent full price on this! thanks anyways im going to try and return this one and get it for a better price!
CAGpixel.JPG

[quote name='thestroke']Do you have to use a crossover cable for this, or does any regular ethernet cable work?[/QUOTE]

Regular ethernet cable, I use this method also.

[quote name='jkam']Just a heads up...you can use the old original xbox wirless adapter with the 360. Amazon had them for $50 and I just recently grabbed one but they seem to be out of stock now. Worth it though if you can find one on the cheap.[/quote]

That's exactly what I did. Got it for around $50. My Xbox is on a different floor than my cable modem and too far away from my computer to do whatever that one guy was explaining (plus I have a Mac, and the network settings on here are so confusing, I only recently learned how to share a printer after 2 years).

It's worked near flawlessly since I got it in May or June. There are times when I can't connect to Xbox Live, and I know it's not my internet connection or Live that's acting up, so I assume it's the adapter. But that's very rare, so I would definitely say to go for the old Xbox adapter.

[quote name='SkylineGTR']Why is that thing so damn expensive? Anyone know?[/quote]

I was gonna ask the same thing...but I figured there was no real reason except greed...

I bought a 30 ft Ethernet cable and ran it through the floor and into my router in the basement. $8 and about an hour of manual labor.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']$69.99 used at GS. Use the 20% coupon and EDGE for even better price.[/quote]

tis what I did earlier this week. No way in hell I was paying more than that. Sheesh! And this amazon price has been this way, I think it's been lower before too.

[quote name='jkam']Just a heads up...you can use the old original xbox wirless adapter with the 360. Amazon had them for $50 and I just recently grabbed one but they seem to be out of stock now. Worth it though if you can find one on the cheap.[/quote]

One thing that swayed me away from this though, to give warning to others is it does not connect to WPA-PSK networks.. I read this in the amazon reviews I believe. WEP is fine though.

they have to pay for the RROD warranties some way man.

I just got a brand new one, sealed in the package for $75 with free shipping from eBay. I was going to go an alternative route because I think the M$ adapter is way too over priced, but it ended up to be a better deal for me to just buy the adapter itself. Easier too. ^_^

Kay

I used to do the ghetto-wireless adapter by plugging an ethernet cable from my 360 to my MacBook Pro and that worked. Too bad my ethernet cable was like 2 feet long so my laptop basically sat ontop of my 360 whenever I wanted to play online.

[quote name='menikmati']I used to do the ghetto-wireless adapter by plugging an ethernet cable from my 360 to my MacBook Pro and that worked. Too bad my ethernet cable was like 2 feet long so my laptop basically sat ontop of my 360 whenever I wanted to play online.[/quote]

lol that's pretty sweet, got a macbook myself! I like the OEM adapter though, super easy to set up and range and reception is tops. No complaints, once you pay for it, it's worth it.

personally, I have to connect to my laptop in order to get on LIVE. I'm not sure but believe the cable is an Ethernet one. IIRC, crossover and/over patch should "work" since the 360 supposedly automatically recognizes the wire and does some conversion.

does anyone know how I can use my desktop instead of my laptop? the desktop gets internet using a Linksys wireless usb network adapter. maybe if I had a wireless card

[quote name='whodat']I bought a 30 ft Ethernet cable and ran it through the floor and into my router in the basement. $8 and about an hour of manual labor.[/quote]

Where'd you get the cable and what do they officially call them in stores? I'm a complete noob to anything that has to do with routers and what not so I figured I'd ask here :D

used adapters @ gamestop are about $49 after 20% off accessories coupon + 10% off edge. the condition can be pretty good also, they come in a clear bag so u can always check out how it looks before u buy it. if it don't work u can always take it back.

To Microsoft's credit, this adapter reaches amazing speeds and is very reliable. I almost always have a full signal as well. Can't say the same about PS3's built-in wi-fi. I got mine for like $55 through stootsi though.

Fry's here in Vegas had some of the old Xbox adapters for $30 bucks. Had about ten or so of them a couple of weeks ago when I picked up my $15 Dark Knight Blu. Thanks again to CAG.

spend 50 dollars, get a wrt54 gl, flash it with ddwrt, use it as a ethernet bridge. itll bascially work as a backwards router, turning a wireless connection into a wired connection. not only is it cheaper, you come out with an unbelievably versatile router instead of a POS adapter that only works with the 360.

[quote name='lorkeng']spend 50 dollars, get a wrt54 gl, flash it with ddwrt, use it as a ethernet bridge. itll bascially work as a backwards router, turning a wireless connection into a wired connection. not only is it cheaper, you come out with an unbelievably versatile router instead of a POS adapter that only works with the 360.[/QUOTE]

Can I set up a wrt54GS with ddwrt as an ethernet bridge/repeater?

[quote name='rapsodist']It pretty much is the only option for people who can't or don't want to do any extra work besides plug and play. Try explaining a bridge or DD-WRT to some people and you'll get blank stares in return.[/quote]
The guide I used to convert an old router into a bridge was extremely user friendly. You didn't need to know any concepts or anything, just follow the steps exactly and bam, you've got a 360 wireless adapter for about $25.

Don't have a link, but I think it was the first one I found online.

[quote name='Aysion']Where'd you get the cable and what do they officially call them in stores? I'm a complete noob to anything that has to do with routers and what not so I figured I'd ask here :D[/quote]

I bought mine from this website. It ships free but it also comes from Hong Kong. So be prepared to wait about 2 weeks for it to arrive.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5140

You could also try newegg.com or monoprice.com like someone else suggested if you want something sooner.

They are called Ethernet cables if you want to correct term.

[quote name='bhk']you guys do know that the original xbox wireless adapter works on the 360 right?

It's $44.99 new at amazon.

See the reviews for how to get it work on your 360.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless...TF8&coliid=I2W1N98A0TJXKW&colid=1I8TQ8PP89JXU[/QUOTE]

Just a heads up that this wireless adapeter doesn't work if you use WPA security on your wireless router. Only WEP. That was a deal killer for me personally, so I ended up selling my original xbox adapter on ebay and used the money from that to help pay for the Xbox 360 wireless adapter. I kept having NAT issues with everything else I tried to connect on the Xbox 360 and those disappeared once I hooked up the Microsoft adapter.

i've had this adapter for 2 years. my 360 is on the 2nd floor, opposite side of the house compared to my router and it performs great for me. signal shows 1-2 bars, but i haven't noticed any loss in speed.

i'd go for that gamestop used price if i didn't already have one.

I need a new one. Like other people, I powered off my system completely, and the Wireless adapter started giving me problems. Usually I have to wait 10-15 minutes before starting 'cold' to log-on.

bread's done
Back