Xbox addict 'dies from blood clot

GuilewasNK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
The family of a budding computer programmer have on Saturday launched a campaign to raise awareness about the health risks of playing online computer games after their son died following a marathon session on his Xbox.

A post-mortem revealed that 20-year-old Chris Staniforth -- who was offered a place to study Game Design at Leicester University -- was killed by a pulmonary embolism, which can occur if someone sits in the same position for several hours.

Deep vein thrombosis normally affects passengers on long-haul flights, but medical experts fear youngsters who spend hours glued to their consoles might also be at risk and have urged them to take regular breaks.

More in link..

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/866-xbox-addict-dies-from-blood-clot/

I don't think I could sit in the same position for that long. I always have to stretch my legs pretty often.

Guess he was really into whatever he was playing. I wonder what his gamerscore is :whistle2:k

[quote name='whoknows']I don't think I could sit in the same position for that long. I always have to stretch my legs pretty often.

Guess he was really into whatever he was playing. I wonder what his gamerscore is :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

dunno, but i bet his Gamerzone is -Underground.

This has been on Yahoo all weekend. I never sit in one position when I am playing for long periods.

Sad thing is that folks that die like this can't see it coming.

These people are idiots and just want to blame the activity he was doing when he died.

For fucks sake, an awareness campaign? As if gaming is the only activity in which people sit still for hours on end :roll:.

[quote name='blindinglights']For fucks sake, an awareness campaign? As if gaming is the only activity in which people sit still for hours on end :roll:.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I thought the same thing. Shouldn't this be a campaign against not moving? Watching TV, reading a book, driving, etc. These could all result in the same outcome. The moral of the story is don't be a fucking douche who doesn't feel like getting up for hours and hours. It has nothing to do with video games. I'm also willing to bet he wasn't a "perfectly healthy" young man and didn't have some other kind of contributing factor.

[quote name='whoknows']I don't think I could sit in the same position for that long. I always have to stretch my legs pretty often.

Guess he was really into whatever he was playing. I wonder what his gamerscore is :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I know I can't, my ADHD won't allow it.

[quote name='blindinglights']These people are idiots and just want to blame the activity he was doing when he died.

For fucks sake, an awareness campaign? As if gaming is the only activity in which people sit still for hours on end :roll:.[/QUOTE]

Awareness campagins allow people/companies/orginzations to say "Hey this really bad thing happened and look how suave, savy, concerned and great we are because we are creating a awareness campaign and wasting our money on something that wont matter a bit! But we really get to think of ourselves are awesome and great!". Kind of like when walmart pulls a game where you shoot people because a kid in a school shoots people. Its all show and fluff and self congratulatory bullshit that is just a PR stunt.

Its like how people buy a pink rubber bracelette for breast cancer and then wear it around town. They dont actually give a shit about breast cancer, if they did they would donate more directly to the foundation or just donate the money and not take the bracelette. But they want the bracelette because it reminds them what a great person they are for donating a whole dollar, more importantly, it shows other people how great they are because they donated a dollar.

Its all about two things. 1) Making yourself feel great and important. 2) Making sure others think your great and important.

A) The kid didn't have to go to the bathroom?

B) Why can we sleep for 8 hours or so with no ill effects? Is this just for sitting? Maybe we only die because we don't move when we sleep. I should invent a SleepCycle or something.

C) Maybe he was a victim of hacking.

Awareness campaigns remind me of the "Duh, no shit!" disclaimers in car commercials.

The best thing about those seemingly mandatory "professional driver, closed course, do not attempt" disclaimers is 80% of those commercials just show cars driving down a road...basically normal usage for an automobile. fuckin' hilarious (and sad at the same time) everytime I see it.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Awareness campaigns remind me of the "Duh, no shit!" disclaimers in car commercials.

The best thing about those seemingly mandatory "professional driver, closed course, do not attempt" disclaimers is 80% of those commercials just show cars driving down a road...basically normal usage for an automobile. fuckin' hilarious (and sad at the same time) everytime I see it.[/QUOTE]

There's a popcorn commercial where Criss Angel microwaves some popcorn in 3 seconds or something, and it says "Cooking time shortened." No kidding.

They should have one for fast food commercials that says "Your shit won't look near as good as this when you open the wrapper. NO REFUNDS!"

Purely just a bad luck kinda thing but I see no reason to try to attack gaming for something so stupid. If you run on a treadmill for 4 hours straight you could die of overworking your heart. Haven't people ever heard of "no guarantees in life".

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Purely just a bad luck kinda thing but I see no reason to try to attack gaming for something so stupid. If you run on a treadmill for 4 hours straight you could die of overworking your heart. Haven't people ever heard of "no guarantees in life".[/QUOTE]
Too much of anything is bad anyway

[quote name='Stoneage']There's a popcorn commercial where Criss Angel microwaves some popcorn in 3 seconds or something, and it says "Cooking time shortened." No kidding.[/QUOTE]

After working in a call center, NOTHING is too stupid to be stated explicitly.

[quote name='davo1224']After working in a call center, NOTHING is too stupid to be stated explicitly.[/QUOTE]

I hear you and am right there with you brother!
Nothing like someone boasting that they have a PhD or a Master's and they cannot find the only button on the front of a device.

I've no sympathy for these guys that game so much that they die. Like those other kids that died from playing star craft and counter strike too long in a PC cafe. Is it that fun that you can not go get up to piss and eat something? Maybe go get a job or go to school or interact with a person in real life?

[quote name='mr_burnzz']I've no sympathy for these guys that game so much that they die. Like those other kids that died from playing star craft and counter strike too long in a PC cafe. Is it that fun that you can not go get up to piss and eat something? Maybe go get a job or go to school or interact with a person in real life?[/QUOTE]

Wasn't he only playing for a few hours though? It was simply a health issue brought to the surface by gaming for a bit too long.

I've had 12 hour sessions with a bathroom break and I'm not going into cardiac arrests.

[quote name='Stoneage']A) The kid didn't have to go to the bathroom?

B) Why can we sleep for 8 hours or so with no ill effects? Is this just for sitting? Maybe we only die because we don't move when we sleep. I should invent a SleepCycle or something.

C) Maybe he was a victim of hacking.[/QUOTE]

This is wisdom. You need to assemble a group of mice, put them on rolly-beds, and see if this will extend their lifespans.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Wasn't he only playing for a few hours though? It was simply a health issue brought to the surface by gaming for a bit too long.

I've had 12 hour sessions with a bathroom break and I'm not going into cardiac arrests.[/QUOTE]

When I first got my ps3, I was on a nazi zombie marathon on a daily basis gaming for probably 6-8 hours a day for about 4-6 months. I calmed down alot because I was just gaming too much and it just wasn't healthy (gf at the time was not happy). This xbox guy on the other hand probably just gamed, ate and did whatever he wanted without thinking of the repercussions of his actions. The article stated that he would play Halo for 12 hours sometimes. Who knows how long he has been doing this and what other things he did/didn't do to accelerate the clot. It sure is unfortunate but is it that surprising? If you don't take care of your body, it will fail on you. I feel sorry for his parents as they probably did not expect this at all.

bread's done
Back