Xbox Arcade for $130 @ Target + $30 GC

fatez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
This deal would work out to be like Amazon's or Walmart's to be about $100 for an Xbox Arcade. However some Target stores are giving $50 GiftCards instead of $30. Apparently the Weekly Ad for Target listed the Xbox Arcade to include a wired headset, to compensate for the error Target has reduce the price an additional $20.

from Target.com:

Includes game console and 1 wireless controller.
The Xbox 360 Arcade game does not include a wired headset. To compensate for this error the price will be further reduced to $130.00. (Value of wired headset is $19.99)

FREE $30 TARGET GIFTCARD® with purchase of this XBOX 360 system! Quantities limited; no rain checks. Terms and conditions apply to GiftCards.

edit: This deal is good again this week. No more $50 GC, only $30 GC now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jewsdidwtc']You could probably get either of the games for like $10 on ebay. N&B is definitely worth it too, but Viva Pinata bored me after 20 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Thanx for the info, but that's still at least 10 bux worth of stuff that could potentially be had for free! I am officially inspired to try to get the spring bundle! Btw, what exactly can you do with a non-gold xbox live account? Can you play any betas? I know there was a halo beta that was available to silver accounts, so does that mean you have to be a gold member to play any other betas?

Picked up a spring bundle today...just couldn't pass up the opportunity to upgrade my loud aging microsoft refurb for such a low cost. Verified it's a Jasper...which I guess all Arcades are at this point.

[quote name='dothatthing'] I haven't opened it yet in hope that I find one of the spring bundles tomorrow, the last advertised day of the sale.[/QUOTE]

Right, but couldn't you just hold onto it unopened until your receipt expires? That way, if you find a Spring Bundle, you can easily exchange it.

[quote name='dothatthing']Thanx for the info, but that's still at least 10 bux worth of stuff that could potentially be had for free! I am officially inspired to try to get the spring bundle! Btw, what exactly can you do with a non-gold xbox live account? Can you play any betas? I know there was a halo beta that was available to silver accounts, so does that mean you have to be a gold member to play any other betas?[/QUOTE]

You usually need invite keys for betas. I don't think it matters whether it's a silver or gold account for those. Silver accounts can download demos (though new ones are usually available only for gold accounts for a week or so) and pretty much do everything gold accounts can do except for actually playing online games. Sometimes they run deals on XBL games that are gold-only too.

Some of the arcade consoles that didn't come with the bundle may actually have decent value on Craigslist. Just post up the manufacturing dates with them.

[quote name='Donut2922']Some of the arcade consoles that didn't come with the bundle may actually have decent value on Craigslist. Just post up the manufacturing dates with them.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting. Maybe people want the plain looking box? I can only imagine why someone would want a non-spring bundle arcade.

^^^ if the unit is box is older and the console doesnt have updated firmware it is possible to hack it and play pirate games off the harddrive . i sold my arcade unit brand new for $350 on ebay

[quote name='ZForce915']I was staring one of these in the face today and considered buying it as a backup system and possibly never taking it out of the box until my other system died. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.[/QUOTE]

Thats kind of sad that people buy backup units just in case their 360 dies. I've never heard of this with any other electronic device.

[quote name='superdry']That's interesting. Maybe people want the plain looking box? I can only imagine why someone would want a non-spring bundle arcade.[/QUOTE]

As Nippicker says, the older ones can be modded and are essentially worth far more. The older consoles are a lot harder to find though.

[quote name='Distrato']Thats kind of sad that people buy backup units just in case their 360 dies. I've never heard of this with any other electronic device.[/QUOTE]
Lol. You're right. I admit I've bought extra units as backups, and now that you say that, that is an extremely stupid reason. It's not like I'm paying an extra $3000 for a spare plasma HDTV. :bomb:

[quote name='Distrato']Thats kind of sad that people buy backup units just in case their 360 dies. I've never heard of this with any other electronic device.[/QUOTE]

I didn't want to say it, but since you did: I'm really surprised at how many posts said something like, "Bought one as a backup!" I bought my first x360 via this deal because all the prior models have not been very reliable.

[quote name='wrencrest']Dude, not to be rude, but you need new friends and/or family. Those are the worst gifts I have ever heard of for a wedding party. ;)

I checked the Targets online inventory for the Tampa area and no one has any spring bundles. I did not check regular arcades.[/QUOTE]
I work for University Target and I know when I left last night there was still one left in stock. You should call and check if you want it.

I tried a good 15 stores by calling and finally found one. I don't care for the color white since everything I have in my entertainment center is black, but I got the system for $100 out the door since I had a gift card to use + I traded a few games at Gamestop to get a 120gb HDD for $31. Not bad for $131 out the door w/ a free $30 GC. I game on the PS3 as my main system so this works as a nice secondary console on the cheap.

[quote name='Distrato']Thats kind of sad that people buy backup units just in case their 360 dies. I've never heard of this with any other electronic device.[/QUOTE]We're in too deep.

[quote name='frpilot']i'm pretty sure your console could get banned from xbox live for using an ebay hdd[/QUOTE]

i'm pretty sure you're an expert of dispensing erroneous information

[quote name='madcyantist']i'm pretty sure you're an expert of dispensing erroneous information[/QUOTE]
He doesn't seem like an expert to me.

[quote name='candyman56']I tried a good 15 stores by calling and finally found one. I don't care for the color white since everything I have in my entertainment center is black, but I got the system for $100 out the door since I had a gift card to use + I traded a few games at Gamestop to get a 120gb HDD for $31. Not bad for $131 out the door w/ a free $30 GC. I game on the PS3 as my main system so this works as a nice secondary console on the cheap.[/QUOTE]
how did you get a 120gb for 31?

Yeah, a third-party HDD sounds great. The ones u posted on dealextreme are pre-owned, however. There are other options out there, too, if you want a cheaper alternative to the XBOX brand but don't want a used product.
You can buy a separate enlosure and slap in a brand-new HDD and save yourself some bones.
Not sure about the quality of this enclosure, but here's one at dealextreme.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25939

MS wont ban for using unofficial hard drive b/c once you flash the drive, the system will show it as regular drive and MS doesnt have a way to detect it (I think Major Nelson also posted that they wont do anything about it) and I doubt that MS cares anymore or else they wouldnt have allowed USB sticks to be used as storage devices

Those cheap HD cases are ok (you might have to plug it in a couple times for the console to recognize the drive). I recommend buying a used OEM case like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120563891322

I'm using a WD 250GB 5400rpm drive along with a cheap HD case (console picked up the drive after connecting it 2-3 times, once the console picks it up then you can just leave it alone and it should be fine). I ordered a 2nd 250GB drive but this time the 7200rpm one and I also ordered the used OEM case, will set that up and then end up selling the first drive

Aside from playing/ storing media (videos, mp3s, etc.), why would want a large hard drive? Doesn't a thumb drive suffice for game saves?

[quote name='hordak']Aside from playing/ storing media (videos, mp3s, etc.), why would want a large hard drive? Doesn't a thumb drive suffice for game saves?[/QUOTE]

Installing games from the disc.

Also, does anyone know if this target deal is still going on today? The website jumped the price back up, but is this still on locally?

[quote name='sealionnn']Installing games from the disc.

Also, does anyone know if this target deal is still going on today? The website jumped the price back up, but is this still on locally?[/QUOTE]

Nah it was a one week sale. sorry.

[quote name='hordak']Aside from playing/ storing media (videos, mp3s, etc.), why would want a large hard drive? Doesn't a thumb drive suffice for game saves?[/QUOTE]

Some of those XBL games are getting really big now. Portal: Still Alive, BF1943, Toy Soldiers, etc. Not to mention game DLC (RE5, AC2 DLC is over 1 gig total).

[quote name='sealionnn']Installing games from the disc.

Also, does anyone know if this target deal is still going on today? The website jumped the price back up, but is this still on locally?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the sale's over, but keep your eye out for more sales like it from Target. I heard someone else mention that these sales are Target's way of getting away with lowering the price point below $150 and preventing other places from taking their sales with a price match. Who knows if it's true, but this sale has struck twice already, and good things happen in threes. I'd suggest holding out to see if another sale like this comes along, and if not, then by then the new $199 slim might be out. Not sure what they're taking out of it for the lower price point, though.

Looks like there is a few spring bundles for $150 in my area, if they had kept the price from last week I would have tried to exchange the one I got...stupid vacation

[quote name='Lord Darkstorn']For a third the price of a 'new' 360? Tempting since I'm a PS3 owner...[/QUOTE]
I bought one lol, their are a bunch of games for the 360 that so much cheaper on the 360. Marvel Ultmate alliance 1 I got 5 dollars at GS, compared to 27 used for the ps3 at gs and Amazon not much cheaper. RE5 14.99 used, PS3 used $24.44, I have a ps3, I don't get why their aren't that many ps3 game sales.

Part of it is the blue-ray disc I think, so PS3 games last longer, scratch less, and maintain their value more used. Also, there's alot more people buying/reselling xbox games, so that also helps to drive the price down. I have a PS3 too, but picked up the xbox during this deal for that same reason, in the name of Cheap Ass Gaming! :)

I snagged a Spring Bundle yesterday due to buying into the hype of the sale. I will admit it is a good deal and figured it a good excuse to play some 360 exclusives. That said, I've been regretting the purchase ever since and will probably just return it. I already have a PS3 & Wii with large backlogs so adding another console to the mix and adding more games just seems overwhelming.

Cap'n_RDM;7405306]I snagged a Spring Bundle yesterday due to buying into the hype of the sale. I will admit it is a good deal and figured it a good excuse to play some 360 exclusives. That said said:
Yeah, I'm a firm believer in only having one 360/PS3. I mean, there really isn't that much of a difference when you look at it. It all depends on which exclusives you want the most.

[quote name='sealionnn']Yeah, I'm a firm believer in only having one 360/PS3. I mean, there really isn't that much of a difference when you look at it. It all depends on which exclusives you want the most.[/QUOTE]

I find more of my friends playing multiplayer games on xbox than PS3.
Both have great exclusive games Mass Effect/Uncharted
Netflix on xbox without disc
PS3 better media player and it's got that nifty blu-ray

Cap'n_RDM;7405306]I snagged a Spring Bundle yesterday due to buying into the hype of the sale. I will admit it is a good deal and figured it a good excuse to play some 360 exclusives. That said said:
I've been debating whether or not to return it as well. I bought Mass Effect 2 and after it's done, I'll have to decide what I want to do. I don't have much time to play games and the PS3 is probably enough, but there are a few exclusives on the XB360 I would like to play.

On the contrary, paying only $130 and getting a $30 gift card made the system really cheap - probably as cheap as its ever going to get. Though there's no hard drive (thankfully they added usb stick compatibility), rechargable batteries, wi-fi, online play without extra cost.

Decisions... :whistle2:?

[quote name='dothatthing']Part of it is the blue-ray disc I think, so PS3 games last longer, scratch less, and maintain their value more used. Also, there's alot more people buying/reselling xbox games, so that also helps to drive the price down. I have a PS3 too, but picked up the xbox during this deal for that same reason, in the name of Cheap Ass Gaming! :)[/QUOTE]

Generally agree. B/t the PS3 and 360, there really isn't that gaping of a difference.

I agree that the higher cost for PS3 games is likely due to blu-ray though I'm not sure I agree with the notion that the discs "last longer." They do scratch less but the real reason is that (1) blu-rays remain more expensive than DVD discs to reproduce and (2) blu-ray penetration hasn't still hit those mainstream numbers. Volume and high adoption lead to lower prices and blu-ray hasn't caught on as much due to upscaling DVDs and people generally considering the price of HD-playback a luxury good they can do without.

As blu-ray players head towards the sub-$100 mark this holiday season, I suspect PS3 game prices will begin to level with 360 ones, though that also has to do with PS3 penetration which remains behind the 360 for now.

As I said, I don't think there's much difference -- both are great machines. As a gaming console, I do think the 360 is superior for now due to LIVE. That, and I admit that I prefer the Xbox controller over the PS3 one. As for exclusives, both have their fair share -- I'm not a fan of FPS, which both machines seem to have an abundance of -- luckily, when it comes to the major franchises now (Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Tekken, GTA etc.) both consoles have 'em.

Oh, and this Target deal rocked. No doubt MS bumped their penetration numbers through this wipeout of older machines.

I have a 360/PS3/Wii sitting at the house. Almost never play the Wii, generally stick to buying anything multiplat on my 360, and use the PS3 for a few exclusives, blu-rays, and PS2 games (I have a BC ps3). I love having a PS3 and 360, it allows you to experience the best of both worlds, and you get to watch and laugh at fanboys who fight between which is better.

[quote name='mr_bungle']i love having a ps3 and 360, it allows you to experience the best of both worlds, and you get to watch and laugh at fanboys who fight between which is better.[/quote]

qft

this seems so tempting. but the 360 arcade has none of the live content? no demos or DLC, that sort of thing? and how prone to breaking are the arcades to compared to other regular xboxes?

[quote name='eldergamer']this seems so tempting. but the 360 arcade has none of the live content? no demos or DLC, that sort of thing? and how prone to breaking are the arcades to compared to other regular xboxes?[/QUOTE]

The 360 arcade and more expensive 360s are exactly the same thing except the more expensive ones come with a hard drive and head set.

If you were to take both apart they are identical. The arcade only comes with a small memory unit of 512mb so if you wanted to install games onto your hard drive then you would need to buy one of their external hd attachments.

As for live content, it's the same. The only difference is if you were to buy many live games then you will run out of space from the arcade memory unit as it won't hold many games. You can connect to live via ethernet (wireless sold separately for 360 arcade and elite - standard on 360 slim) and download all the demos/games/etc.

Now comparing the arcade with the new 360s then you are getting more than the older elite models. The new slim 360 will get you wifi N, more usb ports, new design etc.

[quote name='eldergamer']this seems so tempting. but the 360 arcade has none of the live content? no demos or DLC, that sort of thing? and how prone to breaking are the arcades to compared to other regular xboxes?[/QUOTE]
The old elite and the arcade are exactly the same system internally with a few differences (ie: arcade = no HDD, white color, no headset). The arcade may have a few videos/demos on its internal memory, which is 256mb.
These bundles should run fairly well compared to the older original 360s. For $130, how can you go wrong? :)

[quote name='Vader582']The old elite and the arcade are exactly the same system internally with a few differences (ie: arcade = no HDD, white color, no headset). The arcade may have a few videos/demos on its internal memory, which is 256mb.
These bundles should run fairly well compared to the older original 360s. For $130, how can you go wrong? :)[/QUOTE]

I can go wrong by spending $130 on something that's going to break in 6 months.

[quote name='eldergamer']I can go wrong by spending $130 on something that's going to break in 6 months.[/QUOTE]

These Arcade units are all Jasper chipsets; they're not likely to fail in 6 months, so I don't think that's a factor. :roll:

[quote name='eldergamer']I can go wrong by spending $130 on something that's going to break in 6 months.[/QUOTE]

Here we go again -- the RROD WAS a problem but those who keep bringing it up now as a negative against buying a 360 are more fanboy than practical gamer. Since MS released the Jaspers, the RROD is pretty much a non-issue.

That, and MS still warranties these Arcades (and all other new consoles) with a 3 year warranty against the RROD.

If anyone bought the bundle and changed their mind and wants to sell it to me, please PM me-I won't pay over the MSRP, but I will take it off your hands.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Here we go again -- the RROD WAS a problem but those who keep bringing it up now as a negative against buying a 360 are more fanboy than practical gamer. Since MS released the Jaspers, the RROD is pretty much a non-issue.

That, and MS still warranties these Arcades (and all other new consoles) with a 3 year warranty against the RROD.[/QUOTE]
Is it 3 year warranty from when MS started the offer is it a 3 year warranty after you buy the console? I might return the arcade and just buy the elite.

bread's done
Back