Xbox Banning Discussion

I understanding if they just took the games away and then gave suspensions(as a warning).  But a permanent ban?  That is pretty harsh.  That should be for any repeat offenders which I doubt will do it again if they get suspended the first time.  

I understanding if they just took the games away and then gave suspensions(as a warning). But a permanent ban? That is pretty harsh. That should be for any repeat offenders which I doubt will do it again if they get suspended the first time.
That Blade thing is hilarious! I agree though. Definitely would've been smarter had they not gone with perma bans. It really comes down to perspective.. had I not been a part of it I'd probably be saying "Good on them. They're finally doing their job right." Too bad I am a part of it and although it is harsh.. I knew what I was getting myself in to.

That Blade thing is hilarious! I agree though. Definitely would've been smarter had they not gone with perma bans. It really comes down to perspective.. had I not been a part of it I'd probably be saying "Good on them. They're finally doing their job right." Too bad I am a part of it and although it is harsh.. I knew what I was getting myself in to.
I didn't. No one was being banned for doing this for years. Not to mention, people were saying it was something you wouldn't be banned over.

I defended MS and the Xbox One, but the whole anti-consumer picture is becoming clear now. Honestly, I have never heard of anyone ever get banned for exploiting free games(anyone have any proof on Sony, Nintendo or even Microsoft until now?). If it required a hack or mod to do? Oh yeah, I can see the justification for the banning. I mean if this was on the PS3, you think anyone would get banned? Hell, there wouldn't even be any suspensions. But then again, Microsoft has been on a tear lately. Got GTAV early from Amazon? Go ahead and play it... so you can wait until the year 9999 to play it again on that console. Sony? No problems, enjoy your game!

Last edited by a moderator:
My console was banned sometime today (it was fine last night I played until about 3am).

So just because it is saturday, they have not stopped banning. I also had a profile banned for exploiting the one month of free Xbox Live promotion just a few hours ago.
I think its interesting they banned you for exploiting one month codes. Considering about 4 years ago when they had the Netflix Promo and they were giving out 1 month codes. I grab enough codes to max out my XBOX Live! on my account and my brothers account. So basicly I had 3 years of XBOX Live! for free. My free Live! ran out on March of this year. Both our accounts are still fine and not banned.

Not sure if its true but Dragunz said if your gamertag is perma banned that if you can get that account to have people file complaints against

it will revert to temporary ban. He had a contest in the free and contest area of cag. It wouldn't hurt to look into this for anyone who was perma banned.

Anyone know if there is any YMMV, clearance, or sale deals going on? Looking to get a cheap newer model 360.

Not sure if its true but Dragunz said if your gamertag is perma banned that if you can get that account to have people file complaints against

it will revert to temporary ban. He had a contest in the free and contest area of cag. It wouldn't hurt to look into this for anyone who was perma banned.
that's very weird. So the account goes back to normal after the temp ban?

that's very weird. So the account goes back to normal after the temp ban?
This is indeed correct, the contest was a fail because people thought that I was trying to get another account banned instead of my own, which is ridiculous. The temp-ban undo's your perma ban, it worked for my friend. If you all could please add my original account: 'II Dragunz x' as a friend on XBL and file a 'Profile Info' complaint on my account I will do the same for you. Here's the video on how to do so if you're interested in trying as well. *Note you can only file complaints through the Xbox itself.

I understanding if they just took the games away and then gave suspensions(as a warning). But a permanent ban? That is pretty harsh. That should be for any repeat offenders which I doubt will do it again if they get suspended the first time.
So murderers should just get a slap on the wrist too until they repeat...

The point is where the line is drawn. Downloading from other countries was against Xbox's terms and conditions. You had to agree to these in order to use Xbox Live. In other words, people knew this potentially could get them nailed and they still chose to go through with it. The ability to gain a brand new $59.99 game shortly after release for free on another countries live should have triggered people to realize this could cause a reaction; this was an obvious mistake. People gambled. Ubisoft revenue was lost. Bans happened.

Hey it could be worse... they could have banned their US account too, losing everything they purchased legally and all those achievements they worked hard to obtain.

The point is where the line is drawn. Downloading from other countries was against Xbox's terms and conditions. You had to agree to these in order to use Xbox Live. In other words, people knew this potentially could get them nailed and they still chose to go through with it. The ability to gain a brand new $59.99 game shortly after release for free on another countries live should have triggered people to realize this could cause a reaction; this was an obvious mistake. People gambled. Ubisoft revenue was lost. Bans happened.

Hey it could be worse... they could have banned their US account too, losing everything they purchased legally and all those achievements they worked hard to obtain.
That's the point: US accounts ARE being banned.

This is indeed correct, the contest was a fail because people thought that I was trying to get another account banned instead of my own, which is ridiculous. The temp-ban undo's your perma ban, it worked for my friend. If you all could please add my original account: 'II Dragunz x' as a friend on XBL and file a 'Profile Info' complaint on my account I will do the same for you. Here's the video on how to do so if you're interested in trying as well. *Note you can only file complaints through the Xbox itself.
It's crazy enough it might work I'll add you in can you add my original acct that was banned its K20 FLIP

It's crazy enough it might work I'll add you in can you add my original acct that was banned its K20 FLIP
This is a great idea until microsoft investigates and bans everyone who helped you for filing a false report.

Apologies if this has been mentioned and I missed it. But does anyone know for sure if you get a console ban if all the content on your hard drive is OK to use afterwards? I have kept my ethernet chord unplugged at night until I checked my accounts online to see if there were any ban messages after hearing of the first report a week ago. When I saw 4 of my foreign accounts banned Wednesday morning I haven't bothered putting the chord back in as I figure it would just lead me to a ban message.

Now hearing some people's consoles have slipped by makes me want to confirm, but I want to make sure playing the stuff I have on this console won't flag my profile for a future ban if I move it to another 360 later on.

If it works to unban the main account, I'll help if you need another complaint. Once I go online on my new Xbox(tomorrow, maybe), I'll create a new silver account to add everybody here who needs help with that. 

I just did K20 FLIP for you.

This is a great idea until microsoft investigates and bans everyone who helped you for filing a false report.
It's not really a false report considering the fact that your bio IS something explicit, such as 'F*ck Microsoft'.

I think its interesting they banned you for exploiting one month codes. Considering about 4 years ago when they had the Netflix Promo and they were giving out 1 month codes. I grab enough codes to max out my XBOX Live! on my account and my brothers account. So basicly I had 3 years of XBOX Live! for free. My free Live! ran out on March of this year. Both our accounts are still fine and not banned.
It's not the Netflix 1-month codes he is talking about. I remember that from 2010.

The 1-month promotion was a link that "someone" ;) was able to lift out of an e-mail and worked on SILVER memberships giving you a FREE month of Gold. You needed payment info. on file but could always go and set auto-renewal to off. You could usually repeat when your account reverted to Silver.

I was here for the 3/10/10 Netflix 1-month glitch. It was like an ATM spitting out $10 bills, lol. AFAIK, nobody got banned for that at the time -- and UNUSED codes were still valid in 2012.

I always found it funny when LIVE Gold subs would go on sale and I'd see a few posts saying, "I'm good 'til March 2013".. :razz:

I'm sure some people got banned that missed out on Rayman Legends. But if everyone that has been banned so far did intact DL Rayman Legends that may have been the trigger.

Downloading from other countries was against Xbox's terms and conditions. You had to agree to these in order to use Xbox Live.
Here are the terms and conditions:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Legal/LiveTOU

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Legal/CodeOfConduct

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoleban

Where amongst those does it say that downloading from other countries is prohibited? If it does not say that, then it is reasonable to assume that such action is not prohibited. As I pointed out in an earlier post in this thread, the account creation process specifically allows you to create an account in any country in the world: you list your home country and then what country/region you would like to make an account in. That is extremely strong evidence that downloading from other countries is permitted.

Huh, I'm kinda tempted to see if a temp ban would recover my account. I guess I'll wait an see if anything comes of it before I partake in it.

So your tellin me your gonna cheat the system to get an account back that was banned for cheating the system... This is just getting ridiculous, you all are gonna fuck around til this site gets flagged by microsoft

Huh, I'm kinda tempted to see if a temp ban would recover my account. I guess I'll wait an see if anything comes of it before I partake in it.
I doubt that it will. There used to be a site named WhyWasIBanned.com where they would aggrigate "humorous" posts in the account banning thread. Quite a number of people tried this trick (getting a temp ban on a perma ban account) and the XBLPET were very familiar with it. Many times, they called people out on it specifically stating that they knew the person was trying to use this tactic and that the perma bans would remain intact.

But I guess it is possibile that your reported bio violation might come across the desk of some fresh enforcement team member and they may change it to a temp ban, not knowing any better.

I doubt that it will. There used to be a site named WhyWasIBanned.com where they would aggrigate "humorous" posts in the account banning thread. Quite a number of people tried this trick (getting a temp ban on a perma ban account) and the XBLPET were very familiar with it. Many times, they called people out on it specifically stating that they knew the person was trying to use this tactic and that the perma bans would remain intact.

But I guess it is possibile that your reported bio violation might come across the desk of some fresh enforcement team member and they may change it to a temp ban, not knowing any better.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Plus all they'd have to due is unban the account and wait for it to be transferred to another xbox and then just ban both of them due to you trying to cheat the system, again.

I'm not banned, since I didn't download any games from outer regions. And I too agree that a perma-ban is a too harsh solution. Well, in fact, is a very stupid solution taking into account that they are releasing a new console in a month or two. I know I wouldn't buy a xbone if they've banned my account or prior console for an unlimited time.

So.... Has Microsoft ever cited what part of the TOS that people violated? To me it seems like Microsoft is the one who screwed up and they're taking it out on everybody else.

So.... Has Microsoft ever cited what part of the TOS that people violated? To me it seems like Microsoft is the one who screwed up and they're taking it out on everybody else.
They have not and they will not, all of the "responses" in the console/account ban threads are just rehashes of the emails they sent to the people receiving bans. It gives a list of vague possible reasons that you might have been banned, and the reasons are non-exclusive. Then they link to the TOS and COC for more information. I read through those and found no section supporting these bans. At no time do their documents say you are not allowed to make foreign accounts, access foreign content, download items labeled as free, or anything similar to what has happened. They are banning people because they want to. Their documents do allow them to end your use of their service for any and all reasons, so if they wanted they could simply ban all current users regardless of whether they did something wrong or not. I am not confident such an action would ever hold up in court, but they have lots of money and lawyers so I am not sure how many people would ever take it that far.

"Utilizing fraudulent methods in order to obtain region-specific marketplace content or circumvent regional pricing"

Seems to be the constant on most people's "why was I banned" threads...

"Utilizing fraudulent methods in order to obtain region-specific marketplace content or circumvent regional pricing"

Seems to be the constant on most people's "why was I banned" threads...
Except that you can make a foreign account without ever lying by setting the country you would like to have the account in to another country while still truthfully stating what country you live in. It can't be a fraudulent method if it is programmed and permitted by Microsoft. The term "fraudulent method" is nebulous and vague enough that they are using it for these bans.

if youre equating getting a few games that said "FREE" on them to murder its probably time to stop posting.
The analogies have been so horrible. I've even seen one that likened this situation to having illegal underage sex. :whistle2:|

This is so wrong iv gone threw 3 console with red light , never had them fixed just got new ones and they ban my slim for downloading FREE games as they made a mistake. :dunce:

Except that you can make a foreign account without ever lying by setting the country you would like to have the account in to another country while still truthfully stating what country you live in. It can't be a fraudulent method if it is programmed and permitted by Microsoft. The term "fraudulent method" is nebulous and vague enough that they are using it for these bans.
I bet if your console was in Oman, you wouldn't have gotten banned. I think MS saw, correctly, that the consoles/accounts that these games were linked to weren't anywhere near Oman. I think the question that they're using for determination is something like... Is this a long standing Oman account or does it look like it was set up EXPRESSLY to download a game that had regional pricing?

I do think it would be interesting for someone to file a Notice of Dispute and see what MS would do. I would guess their argument would be kind of the catch alls that are in the ToS sp that they have a bit of latitude in making decisions, but would they stick to those when they thought that someone would take this to small claims court to get their points/service time refunded to them?

Hey everyone I got the notification that I've been temporarily banned and that my account will be unbanned afterwards. I haven't been able to log into Xbox Live to see when it ends but when I do I'll let you know. Also you can stop filing complaints now haha.

Hey everyone I got the notification that I've been temporarily banned and that my account will be unbanned afterwards. I haven't been able to log into Xbox Live to see when it ends but when I do I'll let you know. Also you can stop filing complaints now haha.
That would be a trip... Even if it only got unbanned enough so that you could download everything you owned, it would be worth it...

if youre equating getting a few games that said "FREE" on them to murder its probably time to stop posting.
Please my friend ignore the trolls, that analogy should be ignored because it is not searching other thing than a reaction... this is not murder, not underage sex, not theft... it should not even equate to shoplift, it was a loophole left by microsoft, it is no diferent from the penny AWD games or the BBY buy 2 get 2

I bet if your console was in Oman, you wouldn't have gotten banned. I think MS saw, correctly, that the consoles/accounts that these games were linked to weren't anywhere near Oman. I think the question that they're using for determination is something like... Is this a long standing Oman account or does it look like it was set up EXPRESSLY to download a game that had regional pricing?
You are most likely correct as to how the choose who to ban. However it is pretty ill-spirited to ban people when you allow them to set up accounts in whatever country they choose, and allow them to use the account and store for that country, then your team prices something incorrectly on your system and you punish the user.

I never thought I would ever say this, but I'm glad I didn't know anything about the free games. I hate what happened and I don't feel its fair. Does people really expect cag not to take advantage of a glitch or a mistake?

I never thought I would ever say this, but I'm glad I didn't know anything about the free games. I hate what happened and I don't feel its fair. Does people really expect cag not to take advantage of a glitch or a mistake?
So let's ask this a different way... Do you really expect a company not to eventually do something when someone is, in their feeling, and under their terms of service, stealing content from their marketplace?

I'm not saying I agree with their terminology of marketplace theft, but if they think this meets the terms, why wouldn't they do something about it?

The other thing that people don't necessarily understand here is the concept of materiality... When I was working as a public accountant after college, I had to audit businesses. One of the hardest things I had to learn was my materiality limit. So while some people are saying "That's a lot of people banned! MS is going to lose a lot of money from the people that got kicked off!!!" The reality is that, in a group of 48 million, the few thousand (maybe) that got banned for this wouldn't even be close to being material to the organization. When I audited, for example, a bank and an account was $20,000 off, I had to go look at my materiality number. Most times, I wouldn't even look at what had caused that account to be off - because it was immaterial to the whole. There were other people that NEVER got that concept. They'd spend hours looking for $10 that was missing from a $2 Million account. They didn't last long in the business.

bread's done
Back