Xbox Banning Discussion

xbox-360-india-fail.jpg

Yup, there's no way in hell I'd buy another 360. It would be like rewarding MS for banning my console and account. Even if I was only console banned I don't think I'd get a new console. Hell, I'm not even gonna get a new Windows Phone anymore because of this situation, I'm gonna switch to Android I guess.

I would do the same thing. I'm sticking with MS next gen as long as I'm not banned, but the second it happens I would go PS4. BTW I appreciate your XBox Deal Thread that you took over. Redjoey's shoes were big shoes to fill.

I hate Microsoft! They banned my account because I abused their system now my life is over. I've been abusing Microsoft for the last 7 years but now I'm jumping ship and getting the ps4 even tho I had a better experience with xbox360 than ps3!!
If MS believed all of this was fraudulent they would have banned accounts years ago when stuff like this happened. It's been going on for years. The fact that they only banned some people and not all is even more laughable. If you going to be straight, be straight across the board. Either way my solution of a temp suspension or a demand of payment to be re-instated is more logical. That way Ubisoft/WB gets their money for the games and people get to keep their account/system (or both) It would be a win-win for all sides.

For the record I never downloaded any glitched/mis-priced games except for Ben 10 and Fable 2 and that was on a US account. Ben 10 was gutter trash and wish I never downloaded it. Fable 2 was a mistake on Microsoft's part and what they did was basically re-voke the right to re-download it, and they never punished anyone for their mistake.

Since it seems there haven't been any more bannings in this community for the foreign stuff the last few days, I'm going to laugh if this was all another "glitch". like some noob in their security division or whatever set up something to look for accounts and ban them, but the software went too far by itself. Watch they unban everyone and offer a free game or something as apology :p

posted at kotaku au

Microsoft’s commitment to combat piracy and support safer and more secure gameplay for the more than 48 million Xbox Live members remains a top priority. We can confirm that attempting to exploit Xbox Live for financial gain — for instance, intentionally using false or deceptive information to create an account for the sole purpose of accessing content you would otherwise have to pay for — is fraudulent activity and a violation of the Xbox Live Terms of Use. However, we do not comment publicly on individual cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are ya talking about? Unban a banned console?
No, I'm talking about people, including cag'ers (no offense to anyone), that plan to sell off their banned consoles. I hope if they sell them online or whatever, state they're selling a banned console, that would be bullshit thinking you're getting a good one, only to receive a banned one. And also you wouldn't be getting back at microsoft for doing that, you would be hurting gamers who want the full functionality of their systems.

No, I'm talking about people, including cag'ers (no offense to anyone), that plan to sell off their banned consoles. I hope if they sell them online or whatever, state they're selling a banned console, that would be bullshit thinking you're getting a good one, only to receive a banned one. And also you wouldn't be getting back at microsoft for doing that, you would be hurting gamers who want the full functionality of their systems.
I bought a used one from gamestop saturday it was console banned so beware buying used.

Amazon bans people with a definitely set of performance standards. And it would not change over night. And you have tools to monitor your performance at any time. And when they ban you, they explain exactly what the causes are.

and after you have been banned, you can appeal and if your reason is valid, or sometimes, if you ask nicely, they will reverse the ban.

I was banned permanently on amazon when I was a new seller due to reasons I could not control. I appealed. And they eventually reversed the ban.

this is completely different than what ms has been doing, making up rules from the vague ToS, banning people permanently without warning for actions that were deemed as allowed by the xbox support.

I wait for the day when they decide to mass ban people for getting achievements with two accounts, for doing exploits in GTA5, and for playing the same game on two different consoles. You can't trust what Xbox support says anymore, as the enforcement standard can change overnight.

If I had a banned console, I'd tell them up front. They'd probably already know by the fact I'd have all the downloaded games on it still.

I have a couple questions.I have been using the 1 month xbox live gold free links since march are they banning over this? and what about the people that have over seas accounts but never took part in the free games downloading? Damn Im highly paranoid right now
There was talk saying yes to both but maybe we are making ms cool off on the bans with the bad pr? I wish you luck one person got nailed recently they said for the gold link. I think ms is trying to raise sale figures for 360 to show there still awesome Not!

It was pretty messed up.
Yup and i am one of the people fighting hard for the unbans to... I can see him getting banned for remarks like that on live and deserves it if he does.

Edit: I guess he did not mean it but he could of edited the post attacking with the wife beater comment that is tasteless.

So I'm in my Windows 8 laptop and cannot even sign into the Games app on here. Again, all because I used the free month link? Tomorrow I'll have time to call and post online about this. I'm still livid days later.

So I'm in my Windows 8 laptop and cannot even sign into the Games app on here. Again, all because I used the free month link? Tomorrow I'll have time to call and post online about this. I'm still livid days later.
Sorry try xbox.com and see good luck.

I got 7k or more in digital on 360 stop attacking people. You deserve a ban here saying that about wife beating. You disgust me.
I'm not attacking anyone, it just boggles my mind why people would get screwed over, yet continue to want more of it. Believe me, you'd know if I was attacking you.

I'd like to do a blog article on this. I'm new to Xbox Live really, and haven't followed the misdeeds of Microsoft up close.

I know they've done things like permanently ban people over avatars. They banned the top gamerscore for one week over a link in his profile. I know that their bans used to majorly screw with everything. The key here is that MS is secretive about their actions, and in turn a lot of forums have simply placed the blame on the user. For instance, you had to have done something wrong, and then they usually don't even let anyone talk about it.

So, it's a dual way of keeping people silent. Then, with no official MS announcements, and posts on forums going away, it's like it never happened. MS customer support has even threatened people apparently, basically like look, we didn't ban your main account yet, but make an issue of this and we will. In turn, forums have gone on witch hunts against banned users, accusing them of various things, which keeps people silent as well.

I have been doing a lot of reading, and it just amazes me that MS is still allowed in the console business. In theory, the Xbox 360 was the best of this generation of gaming systems, but that's ignoring the up to 75% failure rates of the original Xbox 360s, banning and other shenanigans.

Some things that jump out at me about the recent bannings. There is evidence that people were not committing fraud. There appears to be ways of signing up, that while asking for a region and the like, never actually required any lying. There is also evidence (such as the tweet that was posted here), that indicates MS explicitly stated this sort of activity would not be banned. Of course, there is even more evidence that MS was completely inept in their handling of this, and there's simply no way a glitch like this should have happened had they been competent. It would appear it wasn't a ToS violation, but they have updated the code of conduct to reflect that this is a violation, but from what I gather they updated it after the fact. MS even banned a guy with a 400K gamerscore and a massive Xbox collection over this.

On top of that, I have seen reports that before MS changed course, they actually banned some people for downloading free Halo DLC? In addition, there's banning people for free Xbox Gold (legitimately acquired from what I gather)? Basically, it's if you get it for free, MS might ban you because they can.

Anyway, any info, screenshots, quotes, etc... I'm interested in seeing/saving this.
I applaud you that is how things are. They run just like the mafia threatening and bullying and killing someones access for anything. They bully forum owners so they remove the info to or they are scared they will be contacted and bullied. I thank cheapyd and the mods allowing us to talk here. I see news sources almost always make us look bad on this subject.

Edit: how do i merge replies from multi pages anyone?

Edit 2: They also edited after the bans the new stuff in the tos or whatever. The government needs to stop how ms does things. Do you all remember ms wanting a monopoly on windows? The gov ruled against there bs then where are they now?

If ms charges you by mistake and you reverse it enjoy the ban. You leave expired card and it tries to renew gold suspended!

To think I've been a huge Xbox supporter and have recommended it to lots of people... Now this. Sure hope MS reverses course on this stuff and realizes we are just cheap ass gamers, not criminals. I still love the xbox brand, sure hope I don't have to turn that love into hate.

Also, if I were attacking you, I'd have said you deserved it and that they should have banned your account also. But I think this entire ordeal is BS, and they should have revoked licenses at the very most. I think the only way they should ban consoles is if the thing is modified in some way, that I understand, this not at all.

I'm not attacking anyone, it just boggles my mind why people would get screwed over, yet continue to want more of it. Believe me, you'd know if I was attacking you.
Did you read why i bought another one and see even after i did i am still fighting it? I spent over 7k in digital and 120k+ gs is a big deal for most. I feel disgusted i bought a new one but i miss my close knit friends on live and gta5 online is amazing. I will never forgive myself for buying another one...

Did you read why i bought another one and see even after i did i am still fighting it? I spent over 7k in digital and 120k+ gs is a big deal for most. I feel disgusted i bought a new one but i miss my close knit friends on live and gta5 online is amazing. I will never forgive myself for buying another one...
I'd have bought used until I found one without a console ban. I agree I would feel disgusted too.

At least with gamestop you can return it quickly, not so online and if no one is aware it's banned, they would be rightfully angry.
Yup also gs getting a lot of used consoles in at mine.

Also, if I were attacking you, I'd have said you deserved it and that they should have banned your account also. But I think this entire ordeal is BS, and they should have revoked licenses at the very most. I think the only way they should ban consoles is if the thing is modified in some way, that I understand, this not at all.
I 100% agreed.

I downloaded Rayman with a Bosnian account. I was fortunate and the only account that got banned back on the 26th. I'm still a bit paranoid of my console or main profile getting banned so I deleted the game and profile off the hard drive.

I downloaded Rayman with a Bosnian account. I was fortunate and the only account that got banned back on the 26th. I'm still a bit paranoid of my console or main profile getting banned so I deleted the game and profile off the hard drive.
The real ban wave is end of oct to mid nov each year i believe. There is nothing you can do so just do not buy more content until after nov. They can ban anyone for any reason at any time. You are mostly likely in a queue but us fighting it will give you a better chance and others alike.

They never get everyone but i bet the tag is scared but might be lucky no bans.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

If you havn't logged on to xboxlive yet to see if it's console banned, but you think its possible that it could be, would keeping it offline to avoid the console ban be more beneficial in anyway?

I've checked emails and nothing sent to any of them so i assume account bans havnt happened, i had just my main profile and 3 foreign acccounts.

If you havn't logged on to xboxlive yet to see if it's console banned, but you think its possible that it could be, would keeping it offline to avoid the console ban be more beneficial in anyway?

I've checked emails and nothing sent to any of them so i assume account bans havnt happened, i had just my main profile and 3 foreign acccounts.
Does not matter enjoy live.

The offline safe thing was when ms would corrupt all files to not use anywhere i believe correct me if wrong. So they got scared and updated the dash to not do that. This was a win against ms since they got scared legally and removed it.

On or offline, won't matter.

Does not matter enjoy live.

The offline safe thing was when ms would corrupt all files to not use anywhere i believe correct me if wrong. So they got scared and updated the dash to not do that. This was a win against ms since they got scared legally and removed it.
Btw, I love your avatar.

The real ban wave is end of oct to mid nov each year i believe. There is nothing you can do so just do not buy more content until after nov. They can ban anyone for any reason at any time. You are mostly likely in a queue but us fighting it will give you a better chance and others alike.

They never get everyone but i bet the tag is scared but might be lucky no bans.
Everyone should be Knocking on Wood who haven't already.

On or offline, won't matter.

Btw, I love your avatar.
Thanks i was laughing while adding it. Pawn Stars FTW!

Everyone should be Knocking on Wood who haven't already.
I wont recover main tag for awhile i am going fresh... I feel ms has more stuff coming are way. I wonder if i recover my tag from the banned console will they ban the new console to if they go after the tag later? I think nobody is safe now...

I wont recover main tag for awhile i am going fresh... I feel ms has more stuff coming are way. I wonder if i recover the ban tag will they ban new console to? I think nobody is safe now...
That is an interesting thought. I think there is sound logic to thinking that if you have received any sort of punishment, then you probably won't receive any more (I did an analysis of this earlier in the thread). But if you want to be uber paranoid, you shouldn't HDD transfer to a new console, USB memory transfer to a new console, gamertag recover to a new console, or license transfer to a new console until they have stopped banning people for a while (to hope to pass un-noticed and retain your gamertag).

That is an interesting thought. I think there is sound logic to thinking that if you have received any sort of punishment, then you probably won't receive any more (I did an analysis of this earlier in the thread). But if you want to be uber paranoid, you shouldn't HDD transfer to a new console, USB memory transfer to a new console, gamertag recover to a new console, or license transfer to a new console until they have stopped banning people for a while (to hope to pass un-noticed and retain your gamertag).

But at the same time, I wouldn't play a game on an account other than my main gamertag since I want my progress to continue with my main account. I REALLY don't want to risk my GT, but I also want to play my games with my GT. I will try to wait it out to be on the safe side.
I feel the same way ms changed ho they do things big time. We know now they can care less who they ban and they could care less about the blow back of it. They been acting like a mafia for so long they think nothing will harm them.

Nobody has mentioned about the lifted ban on consoles in china they do not need us that much now.

Edit: Remember they used to ban tags then consoles later in oct/nov in the ban waves. So maybe they reversed it a bit on this wave for regional bans bs.

Edit 2: Also remember we do not know what other security bs was in the last update. They might cache all tags to a file flagged to and use for profit anytime to boost sales. This stuff seemed like a trap now looking back. MS said we would not get banned for it and set the trap on us. The unban in china on consoles and $50 promo deal makes me see a good chance ms did on purpose or taking advantage of there many goofs to boost profits.

Go after hackers jeez ms live is full of them.. But why should they now since they can easily unban the consoles themselves i believe. Then also hackers care less about buying content and gs they can hack gs and get everything free. So ms went after loyal customers. My opinions/thoughts.

I'm also wondering if banning consoles/tags is easier than just revoking licenses, would also be a form of laziness on their part.

There was a poster on NeoGaf when I checked the ban thread last night that said their tag was banned sometime in the last 24 hours. They had got a console ban back on the 26th, so if your main tag survived you might not be fully clear yet. :whistle2:| I would link the post but the site is down at the moment.

All this uncertainty is making me really question sticking with Xbox anymore. I will keep getting disc based games as long as my console works, but unlike before where I'd almost always get a new copy it will be used now. Getting a second system is out for me now also.

Ok I have to blow off a little steam.  They banned my console and my account.  For the record it happened last friday, I've been trying all this time to get it resolve so I could at least get my account back.  I could understand banning the console, not saying I would like it, but I could understand.  But the account makes no sense.  To get any of the questions out of the way.  None of the games that were in question were ever even downloaded, no region transfers made, their were no transfers of any account to someone else.  And there was nothing connecting anything to my regular account at all, except the fact it was logged in when the console was banned.

The forums which you are directed towards to "Help resolve the matter" are a joke, whats even the point of them?.   They been changing most of the posts over to private conversations instead of posting them in the forum, I guess because they would have utterly flooded the forums by now and all they do is give you a carbon copy statement every time.  Why even have them then.  I've been given eleven different reasons in total now why the account could have been banned non of which occurred.  I can't get a straight answer, because none exsists.  I guess thats the ugly truth of all of this, that they don't need a reason.  You click on something that they list as free, but then they change their minds that it isn't, you can be banned.  You get put into a lobby by match making with someone who's modding, you can be banned.  Someone other than you touches your Xbox, you can be banned.  You have a PS3 sitting to close to an a Xbox, you can be banned.  Kinect spys on you and sees you uses throw pillows on your bed for sleeping on instead of putting them away like your suppost to!!!...., you can be banned.

To top things off my brother got a notice in his email that his account was also banned and here's the funny thing.  He's not a online player, he's only purchase one thing off of live ever and that was years ago, and the last time he even connected to Live was last October to download patch for Skyrim.  The only connection is he uses the same IP as I do, but apparently that makes him guilty.  It doesn't really matter to him since like I said the only thing he ever connected for was patches.

I've been trying all this time just to get my account back and was prepared to eat the cost of a new console, but the hell with this.  Without my account their's no point.  Even if I wanted to start over from scratch I still can't get everything back since I had a bunch of stuff thats been delisted.  Also I love the fact that people who actually have had their console modfied to pirate games, cheat online, ect, only get a slap on the wrists compared to this.

To hell with them, you didn't just loose one loyal customer with this MS, you lost five.  Mine, my brother, my two nieces, and a friend have all canceled our Xbox One pre-orders now.  Goodbye and good riddance MS.

To top things off my brother got a notice in his email that his account was also banned and here's the funny thing. He's not a online player, he's only purchase one thing off of live ever and that was years ago, and the last time he even connected to Live was last October to download patch for Skyrim. The only connection is he uses the same IP as I do, but apparently that makes him guilty. It doesn't really matter to him since like I said the only thing he ever connected for was patches.
Keeping your console offline for long periods at a time is suspicious and proof you are up to no good.

This has gotten ridiculous at this point.

Just got the typical AUTOMATED email response to my letter to MS. Now onstead of reading it, they said "The ACCOUNT has been banned" for all the same reasons. Yet. My account isn't banned on Xbox.com. So they're continually ignoring us. Start posting on their forums this letter. Make sure they know they fucked up.

Seeing as my console was banned the other day, I have some information for you Microsoft employees that shows I, as well as others, were NOT to blame for downloading games from another region and were under the impression that it was okay. In this Twitter question from@eddie_carmona on September 4th 2013, and answer by @XboxSupport1, Eddie asks if downloading games from another region, such as China, is a bannable offense. Xbox Support CLEARLY stats that it is NOT a bannable offense, but it is also not recommended.

Link to question here:
https://twitter.com/eddie_carmona/status/375262932621201409

Answer Here:
https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/status/375263771230339072

After this, many of us downloaded these games due to your fellow employee stating it was not a bannable offense, yet, here we are. Being banned for something your company said was okay. What is to come of this? We thought it was okay, being told by your company it was okay, and now many of us gamers who, for quite some time, years even, have a $200 or more brick sitting in our rooms/living rooms. It is unfair to us who have spent so much time, money, and have such an allegiance to your company to be treated this way. If your employees were up to date on these subjects, we wouldn't have done this.

Furthermore, another Xbox Support employee stated that they, "even we make mistakes. Thanks for your understanding. Cheers." So, if they are at fault, why aren't they to blame? Why do we get banned for their mistakes? If we make a mistake, like downloading games from another region cause it was stated as NON-BANNABLE, why do we get banned? Why aren't these employees being fired then for their mistakes? And how are we to "understand" this? Microsoft makes a mistake and it's okay, We do this cause of their mistake, and we're forced to buy new consoles?

Link to that here:
https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/status/384923519542255616

Now, I ask you, please, unban our Xboxs, and for those others, their accounts. Cause, again, they were under your companies word that they would be fine. That would be the right thing to do here. I would like to continue to stay with this product for many more years to come if this is all fixed.
Thank you.

There was a poster on NeoGaf when I checked the ban thread last night that said their tag was banned sometime in the last 24 hours. They had got a console ban back on the 26th, so if your main tag survived you might not be fully clear yet. :whistle2:| I would link the post but the site is down at the moment.

All this uncertainty is making me really question sticking with Xbox anymore. I will keep getting disc based games as long as my console works, but unlike before where I'd almost always get a new copy it will be used now. Getting a second system is out for me now also.
That stinks i really believe ms has went bonkers now and this is only the start. Sucks cause the console itself is amazing. I can not even dl title updates on games thare are unplayable without them borderlands 2 reset bugs... aliens cm and star trek is so bad without one. My music videos i bought on zune cannot be seen to play to i had over 20.

Rip they deleted my 2 threads pretty fast. I wonder since they said your gt is banned but ok now maybe its queued to be if so that sucks but we know not to transfer to new 360. This is a nightmare wish i did not buy a new 360 on amazon now. Damn you gta online lol.

Man this sucks harder and harder, I feel bad for everyone this happened to. Question though, can you redownload games that have been delisted, but you have purchased? I have a few on my account when I get my xbox 360.

Man this sucks harder and harder, I feel bad for everyone this happened to. Question though, can you redownload games that have been delisted, but you have purchased? I have a few on my account when I get my xbox 360.
So long as they are in your download history, you can download them again (despite being delisted).

Ok I have to blow off a little steam. They banned my console and my account. For the record it happened last friday, I've been trying all this time to get it resolve so I could at least get my account back. I could understand banning the console, not saying I would like it, but I could understand. But the account makes no sense. To get any of the questions out of the way. None of the games that were in question were ever even downloaded, no region transfers made, their were no transfers of any account to someone else. And there was nothing connecting anything to my regular account at all, except the fact it was logged in when the console was banned.

The forums which you are directed towards to "Help resolve the matter" are a joke, whats even the point of them?. They been changing most of the posts over to private conversations instead of posting them in the forum, I guess because they would have utterly flooded the forums by now and all they do is give you a carbon copy statement every time. Why even have them then. I've been given eleven different reasons in total now why the account could have been banned non of which occurred. I can't get a straight answer, because none exsists. I guess thats the ugly truth of all of this, that they don't need a reason. You click on something that they list as free, but then they change their minds that it isn't, you can be banned. You get put into a lobby by match making with someone who's modding, you can be banned. Someone other than you touches your Xbox, you can be banned. You have a PS3 sitting to close to an a Xbox, you can be banned. Kinect spys on you and sees you uses throw pillows on your bed for sleeping on instead of putting them away like your suppost to!!!...., you can be banned.

To top things off my brother got a notice in his email that his account was also banned and here's the funny thing. He's not a online player, he's only purchase one thing off of live ever and that was years ago, and the last time he even connected to Live was last October to download patch for Skyrim. The only connection is he uses the same IP as I do, but apparently that makes him guilty. It doesn't really matter to him since like I said the only thing he ever connected for was patches.

I've been trying all this time just to get my account back and was prepared to eat the cost of a new console, but the hell with this. Without my account their's no point. Even if I wanted to start over from scratch I still can't get everything back since I had a bunch of stuff thats been delisted. Also I love the fact that people who actually have had their console modfied to pirate games, cheat online, ect, only get a slap on the wrists compared to this.
To hell with them, you didn't just loose one loyal customer with this MS, you lost five. Mine, my brother, my two nieces, and a friend have all canceled our Xbox One pre-orders now. Goodbye and good riddance MS.
I enjoyed reading this rant. Awesome.

Here's personally what I would do and I might end up doing anyway. If you're not tag banned, but console banned, buy used, either don't sell or at least alert to the fact the console is banned if you're selling that console. Anyway, buy a used one, redownload your content, never buy a new game, always go used. I'd say screw supporting M$ until the PS4 comes out.

Unless they also banned the account they were under.
Well mines not banned (haven't had a 360 since 2011), but going to be buying a used one soon.

Here's personally what I would do and I might end up doing anyway. If you're not tag banned, but console banned, buy used, either don't sell or at least alert to the fact the console is banned if you're selling that console. Anyway, buy a used one, redownload your content, never buy a new game, always go used. I'd say screw supporting M$ until the PS4 comes out.
I'll add to that, use all the credit in your account.

Did all the the higher tenure and gs people just gave up over the weekend it seems to silent from most of them now.

bread's done
Back