Xbox birthday gift from Microsoft

crunchewy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
Microsoft just sent me a birthday gift (though it's not yet my birthday - they got the month right at least). 20 MS points. LOL! I can't wait to spend my 20 MS points!

I wonder if they're going to keep doing the birthday gift once Xbox switches over to actual currency...

My guess is no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine if you mailed a quarter to a friend/family member for a birthday with a card.
Imagine if someone you had a business relationship with who owes you exactly nothing gave you something, anything as a nice gesture.
Totally. I've never heard of any business giving out a courtesy or a loyalty reward for your continued patronage. I mean, could you imagine going into a restaurant and being given a free dessert just because it's your birthday? That's ridiculous!

Hi five. I got that email yesterday too. Better than nothing, althought very cheap of them to send me a quarter.

Happy birthday to the June 10 folks out there. Was a good day.

Imagine if you mailed a quarter to a friend/family member for a birthday with a card.
Imagine if someone you had a business relationship with who owes you exactly nothing gave you something, anything as a nice gesture.
Getting a quarter is more insulting than getting nothing. Maybe McDonald's next promotion should be every millionth customer gets one extra french fry.

Totally. I've never heard of any business giving out a courtesy or a loyalty reward for your continued patronage. I mean, could you imagine going into a restaurant and being given a free dessert just because it's your birthday? That's ridiculous!
I understand that, but what if your local ice cream place gave you an extra scoop of M&M's as a topping as opposed to free ice cream? Are you going to call them cheap fucks?

All I'm saying is it's not like they HAVE to give anybody something. Yet a thread is made to shit on it.

I understand that, but what if your local ice cream place gave you an extra scoop of M&M's as a topping as opposed to free ice cream? Are you going to call them cheap fucks?

All I'm saying is it's not like they HAVE to give anybody something. Yet a thread is made to shit on it.
I would compare it more to you walking in and them giving you a free sample that is 1 single m&m. I see it more as amusing that they would even bother sending these out than a reason to shit on them personally.

I think the thread was made to make fun of the half-assed nature of it and to laugh at the fanfare that goes along with it. I haven't gotten an email like this yet (my birthday is in August), but I'm sure it says something to the effect of "HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Thank you for being a member of the best gaming community in the world. Here's 20 Microsoft points from us to help you celebrate!" Is 20 msp more than 0 msp? Sure. But it's not the kind of thing that makes you think "Wow, what a generous company that actually values my business!" I mean, really, you could say the same thing about the 2% "reward" on your Marketplace purchases. They don't HAVE to do it. But it's largely pointless as well.

Speaking specifically to your analogy, I don't know that I'd call them "cheap fucks", but I would definitely consider it a gimmick "reward" only meant to get you to come into the store and spend money in the first place. And in those cases, it's not a "reward". It's a marketing tactic. That's pretty much what this is. "Here's 20 points. By the way, did you know State of Decay is now for sale for ONLY 1600 MSP???" So, while they technically are giving you something, I'm not going to applaud them for trying to bait people into purchases they might not have made either.

I just got an email and was insulted that they gave me 20 pts. I would have been more than happy to just get a nice happy birthday and maybe a thank you for being a gold member for seven years. Is or has there ever been anything on XBOX Live that you can purchase for 20 pts?!

I just got an email and was insulted that they gave me 20 pts. I would have been more than happy to just get a nice happy birthday and maybe a thank you for being a gold member for seven years. Is or has there ever been anything on XBOX Live that you can purchase for 20 pts?!
Happy birthday to you. You may have 25 cents! Now go enjoy the riches we just bestowed upon you!

Nintendo and Disney give bonus points on birthdays as well. Both are about the same proportionally to the 20 MSP. So does CD Japan. Best Buy also sends out a coupon for 10% off all non-Movies/Music/Games, which is completely useless to me as those are the only things I get from there.

Also got 20 points for my birthday from Xbox Rewards.

Crossing my fingers I get another .25¢ next year so that I can buy something for $7.50!

Also got 20 points for my birthday from Xbox Rewards.

Crossing my fingers I get another .25¢ next year so that I can buy something for $7.50!
You ought to just start saving it. Imagine in just 10 years you'll have a whole $2.50! You'll be rolling in the dough.

What really sucks is if they had just given me 30 points instead of 20, it would have been awesome: 1590 points post "gift". Sigh.

At least I think the points have been applied. I'm not really sure how to tell. If they haven't yet then bonus!

bread's done
Back