Xbox Elite,Avatar and 42 720p Panasonic Viera $699 bestbuy-Onine or Instore

romodome

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Stolen from Slickdeals. Seems like a good deal,

Live online!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panason...CategoryId=abcat0101001&id=pcmprd121500050002

42inch 720p Plasma Panasonic
Xbox 360 Elite w/ Pure +lego Batman
All for $699

Starting Sunday Dec. 6th, Best Buy will have a combo package of a 42" Panasonic 600hz 720p Plasma TV, Xbox 360 Elite (120gb hd), 2 games, and the new game Avatar all for only 699. The total savings according to BB is $410!! You can look at this however you want but the best way I saw it is to look at it as getting a nice TV for only $340! Please see attachment for ad scan.

Did a quick search, hopefully not a reprint. Slickdeals has an image of deal from ad so it looks legit. hopefully it will be online for some bing.com savings

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jaynatch']I agree with you that the difference between 1080i and 1080p is tiny. But as someone who has a bluray player, and cable tv at 1080i, having all those pixels makes a huge difference. I can certainly see the difference on any TV between 720 and 1080 but I guess that really depends on how close you're sitting. I just don't really see the point in investing large amounts of money in a transitory technology, everything is obviously going to be 1080 going forward.[/QUOTE]

I've watched blu-ray movies on my 42" 720p LCD and my 47" 1080p LCD and can't really tell the difference. I guess if you sit like 3 feet from a large screen you might be able to tell, but sitting that close will probably burn out your eyeballs in short order..lol. BTW, I never said the difference between 1080i and 1080p is tiny.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Plasma was surpassed a few years ago by LCD as the most popular and now Plasma is pretty much going out of style, which is why you are seeing deals on Plasma tv's. It's a dying breed, so to speak. I would never buy a Plasma unless they were like DIRT cheap.[/QUOTE]

Are you nuts? Plasmas are cheap because they're cheaper to produce.

In terms of picture quality and feature set, motion speed and all, a mid range plasma beats the best LCD anytime. The only advantage i see for LCD is when you're using it for PC as a monitor...and if you choose form over function.

I researched this a lot a while back. According to the guys over at AVSForum, who seem to burn through TVs like its their job, plasmas are fine for gaming. In fact some people there mentioned a type of "lag" that is present with LCDs for gaming, that plasmas do not have because of their design.

Also every site I've ever researched says that if you are 40" and under, then 720 vs. 1080 makes no difference. The quality of the panel make a bigger difference.

Heck, for the longest time, I believe CNET used a 720p Pioneer plasma as their "standard". This was well into when 1080 was available for similar prices.

The difference in power use I saw in comparing Panasonic plasmas and LCDs was pretty minimal. You are probably talking about $10 a year, or less with "normal" use.

I say this when I own two Samsung LCDs, which I like a lot. Yet, the research I've done would probably lead me to getting one of the Panasonic plasmas for my next TV.

[quote name='iluvmywife']I don't need a 42 inch plasma or another elite but this is a really nice deal.

Panasonics are the best deal for plasma tvs for the price. Sure, Pioneers make better plasma tvs but they cost way too much.[/QUOTE]

Actually Pioneer does not make plasmas anymore, they havnt since last years models. Panasonic makes the best plasma now and they have bought the Pioneer tech if im not mistaken, next years panasonic plasmas should be really good.

I've had my Panasonic Viera 50" G10 since March, and have loved every minute of it. Plasmas are better than LCD's.

If I needed another TV in the apartment, I'd definitely consider this deal. Though, I think my next TV will be larger than the 50" I have now.

We own this television, it is in our bedroom. Looks 100x better than the LCD it placed. And to the people saying its 720p blah blah blah, at normal sitting distance the human eye cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a set this size.

[quote name='vx2']Are you nuts? Plasmas are cheap because they're cheaper to produce.

In terms of picture quality and feature set, motion speed and all, a mid range plasma beats the best LCD anytime. The only advantage i see for LCD is when you're using it for PC as a monitor...and if you choose form over function.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I'm sorry, but you are wrong. LCD is cheaper to produce today than Plasma. Plasma is just on it's way out and people aren't really buying many of them in comparison to LCD, thus you are seeing lots of Plasma sets marked down. Pioneer and Vizio already quit making Plasma and LG will likely be next to stop making Plasma next year. The fat lady is singing for Plasma, as now even LED is coming out.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Dude, I'm sorry, but you are wrong. LCD is cheaper to produce today than Plasma. Plasma is just on it's way out and people aren't really buying many of them in comparison to LCD, thus you are seeing lots of Plasma sets marked down. Pioneer and Vizio already quit making Plasma and LG will likely be next to stop making Plasma next year. The fat lady is singing for Plasma, as now even LED is coming out.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

LOL I work at best buy in home theatre. I am around hd tvs quite a bit. There is no difference in picture quality between 720p and 1080p (a taaaaaaaaad differece in the 50+ models.. however at 42 it is absoloutly impossible to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.) Also Plasma IMO have a better picture than LCDs... Just about everyone I know agrees. Just thought id drop my sense in because I am laughing quite hard at those saying how much better 1080p is than 720p... you must be crazy lol.

[quote name='jd2k9']LOL I work at best buy in home theatre. I am around hd tvs quite a bit. There is no difference in picture quality between 720p and 1080p (a taaaaaaaaad differece in the 50+ models.. however at 42 it is absoloutly impossible to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.) Also Plasma IMO have a better picture than LCDs... Just about everyone I know agrees. Just thought id drop my sense in because I am laughing quite hard at those saying how much better 1080p is than 720p... you must be crazy lol.[/QUOTE]

Have you looked at your source running through those 50+ sets on the wall. You are not running 1080p through them so that would explain why it doesn't look any better there. If you had two tvs set up with blu-ray then you would see the difference a million more pixels in a the panel is making. Also as a salesperson you should be talking about how 1080p is great because that is what you should be pushing since it has more margin in it.

[quote name='Edwardo Banaducci']Have you looked at your source running through those 50+ sets on the wall. You are not running 1080p through them so that would explain why it doesn't look any better there. If you had two tvs set up with blu-ray then you would see the difference a million more pixels in a the panel is making. Also as a salesperson you should be talking about how 1080p is great because that is what you should be pushing since it has more margin in it.[/QUOTE]

Actually with a set this size and smaller, even up to 50" to an extent, at normal viewing distances you cannot see the difference even if the source material is 1080p.

I got this TV from Bestbuy for $500 a few weeks ago
WELL worth the money, it is fantastic
But I guess they are really trying to get rid of this tv with all the deals related to it
If you are in the market for an xbox and a tv JUMP ON THIS DEAL!

I got this deal today. When I got the TV home, I took it out of the box and found out that the screen was completely shattered. When I tried to return it, customer service told me that it was my fault because the TV was loaded into my car on its side, and plasma screens easily shatter.

Thing was, I didn't load it in the car -- an employee did. The guy who loaded it did not hesitate for one second, and did not offer any warning that the screen would shatter. He just shoved it in the trunk, thanked me, and took off.

When I explained this to CS, I was told that this employee "would never do such a thing, because he's been doing this for years." Basically, I was being called a liar.

Half an hour and one hell-raising later, I got them to agree to replace the TV, but they had no more in stock, so I'm going to have to wait until later this week for a new one to come in. I'm going to have it shipped to me, at extra cost, to ensure that any potential breakage is their fault.

Many lessons learned today, but for anyone else getting the deal -- make sure you keep the TV upright when taking it home.

[quote name='Fors78']Actually with a set this size and smaller, even up to 50" to an extent, at normal viewing distances you cannot see the difference even if the source material is 1080p.[/QUOTE]

People keep saying this yet no one shows any proof they just make the statement.

I know. People talk such crap most of the time on the Internet. To clarify things:

1) This is a decent price, but the TV is very dated.

2) The TV is 1024x768, meaning it can't even display 720p games without scaling them. 720p games are 1280x720.

3) 1080p vs 720p is a silly argument. I can tell the difference at normal viewing on my 46" TVs easily watching Blu ray. I also use my 1080p Samsung LCD as a desktop computer. You can't even argue that 1080p isn't better for that.

[quote name='Edwardo Banaducci']People keep saying this yet no one shows any proof they just make the statement.[/QUOTE]

There's a little website called Cnet and their experts say that 1080 vs 720 is not worth the extra cost.

[quote name='Edwardo Banaducci']People keep saying this yet no one shows any proof they just make the statement.[/QUOTE]

And how might they show you that proof? Drive to your home, set up two big screen displays with matching sources, and sit you down in front of them? Get to best buy and compare yourself. Take some initiative. Cripes.

On a more helpful note, I've owned that TV for 3 years now and it's beautiful. I also have a 40" Samsung LCD in my bedroom, and I still tell friends about how much I prefer the Panny's picture to the LCD. I paid $1400 for it three years ago, and have gotten more than my moneys worth out of it. No regrets. At this price though, it's a steal (assuming you need the 360 as well).

[quote name='WilliamG']I know. People talk such crap most of the time on the Internet. To clarify things:

1) This is a decent price, but the TV is very dated.

2) The TV is 1024x768, meaning it can't even display 720p games without scaling them. 720p games are 1280x720.

3) 1080p vs 720p is a silly argument. I can tell the difference at normal viewing on my 46" TVs easily watching Blu ray. I also use my 1080p Samsung LCD as a desktop computer. You can't even argue that 1080p isn't better for that.[/QUOTE]

Yea!
I agree!
People like you need to stop with all the BS.
It is annoying!

1) "The TV is very dated"
This HDTV came out in February.
While it may not be the new kid on the block, it is hardly "very dated"

2) True.
However..... you need to examine this argument from the other end.
All lcds have a native resolution.
It is impossible to have the resolution and the video source be the same 100% of the time.
Even on a 1080p panel, unless you're watching blurays 24-7, the video will be scaled.

Also, most "720p" games are actually less than 720p.
ie. Halo 3 is actually rendered at 1152x640
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12821

3) uhmm... you may not believe it, but it is true.
Under normal viewing, most people are not able to differentiate between a 720p and 1080p on a 46" screen.
As for 1080p on a computer monitor?
Duh! Of course you can on a computer monitor.
On a computer monitor, you need to view small text and lots of information at the same.
So yea. Don't buy this HDTV if you're hoping to use it as a primary pc.
well... unless your vision is impaired.
In that case, this is probably a good dot-pitch for you.

ps
I'm not trying to attack you.
Just note that there is an argument to both sides.
And that people that disagree with you are not always full of shit.
Hell... in most cases, such as this one, there is not even a right or wrong side.

Thanks OP, I just bought this package. I will go pick it up from the store soon. I was already in the market for an xbox to gift my nephews at Christmas and I am replacing a gigantic projection with the plasma. I already own a 1080p in one room, now this allows me to dump that eyesore of a tv I have. Perfect timing and a great deal for me.

[quote name='mkelehan']You could probably unload Avatar on eBay for $40, after their fees.[/QUOTE]

Done. Except on Amazon. Sold for 49.99 and I think I'll be getting 42-44 after fees.

Ironically enough, I picked up the P42X1 for 599 BEFORE this deal on the 25th from Best Buy. Researching it and in store picture, I decided the P42X1 was the best TV for the price. A Samsung 42" 1080 LCD was 100 more, but I figured hey, plasmas don't seem to have the 3 year panel issues, I'll go with the plasma.

Best Buy, surprisingly, easily let me do a price adjustment. At Customer service I traded my receipt + 100 bucks for a 360 elite and avatar. Dropped my arcade which is basically brand new (played for a max of 3-5 hours) on Craigslist for 130 bucks. Selling that later today (hope I dont get robbed :p)

Figure that in the end I got an elite for 30 bucks LOL. (Paid 100 for the arcade with walmarts promo, resold @ 130. Sold avatar for 40 bucks. Total profit = 70.)

[quote name='wbc1228']Yea!
I agree!
People like you need to stop with all the BS.
It is annoying!

1) "The TV is very dated"
This HDTV came out in February.
While it may not be the new kid on the block, it is hardly "very dated"

2) True.
However..... you need to examine this argument from the other end.
All lcds have a native resolution.
It is impossible to have the resolution and the video source be the same 100% of the time.
Even on a 1080p panel, unless you're watching blurays 24-7, the video will be scaled.

Also, most "720p" games are actually less than 720p.
ie. Halo 3 is actually rendered at 1152x640
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12821

3) uhmm... you may not believe it, but it is true.
Under normal viewing, most people are not able to differentiate between a 720p and 1080p on a 46" screen.
As for 1080p on a computer monitor?
Duh! Of course you can on a computer monitor.
On a computer monitor, you need to view small text and lots of information at the same.
So yea. Don't buy this HDTV if you're hoping to use it as a primary pc.
well... unless your vision is impaired.
In that case, this is probably a good dot-pitch for you.

ps
I'm not trying to attack you.
Just note that there is an argument to both sides.
And that people that disagree with you are not always full of shit.
Hell... in most cases, such as this one, there is not even a right or wrong side.[/QUOTE]

And here's the rebuttal!

My point is that no matter WHAT you watch on this TV, it will ALWAYS be scaled. You want to watch 720p movies? The picture will be scaled. You want to play 720p games? Your picture will be scaled. You want to watch 1080i or 720p HD TV? Your picture will be scaled. You want to watch 1080p games? Scaled. 1080p Blu-ray etc? Scaled. EVERYTHING is scaled.

And what do you mean "of course [you can tell the difference] on a computer monitor]." Most people didn't know that probably, and nobody brought it up that I can see..

And consoles do a FAR better job of scaling than a TV, so I'd rather my 360 scaled my games to 720p than my 1080p do it...

In any case, dated TV, dated tech.

[quote name='DoriftoShoes']plasmas havent had burn in issues in a long time...[/QUOTE]

My friend researched his plasma for days (he's that type of person) and, despite many good reviews and a name brand, his brand new TV has already experienced minor burn-in on Castle Crashers and a DVD menu. This was a high end 50" tv too. So... be careful if you get one.

man if you won one of those amex wishcards last week could of got this package for 500 (200 off any 500 buck purchase)

probally could dump the xbox and game off on ebay for say 200 or 250 tops (after all fees and shipping)

end up with a nice tv for around 500... tempted

also question since they put it as special package etc, and marked down each item a percent could i A) Return Avatar (and choose some other game-cuz it looks really lame-also on receipt it shows $59.99) Secondly could i return the 360 and get $224 (the value it says on receipt)? Effectively making the TV $4xx?

[quote name='coltyhuxx']My friend researched his plasma for days (he's that type of person) and, despite many good reviews and a name brand, his brand new TV has already experienced minor burn-in on Castle Crashers and a DVD menu. This was a high end 50" tv too. So... be careful if you get one.[/QUOTE]

image retention and burn-in are not the same thing.

[quote name='mjmeyer']You can add 12 month xbox live for $10 more dollars if you add all items separately.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for dropping that tidbit. My friend is gonna pick up the package (360 for him; TV for parents) and I'm sure he'd be down for a $10 year of live as well. What a sweet deal.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']There are several precautions you can take in the first 100 hours of use to avoid burn in. Th

[/QUOTE]

no u dont, most plasmas now a days dont even require to break in ur tv.
if u read the manuals for all panny plasmas it says its not required, its just for paranoid people..

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Plasma was surpassed a few years ago by LCD as the most popular and now Plasma is pretty much going out of style, which is why you are seeing deals on Plasma tv's. It's a dying breed, so to speak. I would never buy a Plasma unless they were like DIRT cheap.[/QUOTE]

this has got to the one of the dumbest things ive ever read on CAG and ive been here for 3 years.
LOL a "dying breed" plasmas arent a fad, theyre just older technology. how come on tv tests, plasmas always beat out LCDS?

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Dude, I'm sorry, but you are wrong. LCD is cheaper to produce today than Plasma. Plasma is just on it's way out and people aren't really buying many of them in comparison to LCD, thus you are seeing lots of Plasma sets marked down. Pioneer and Vizio already quit making Plasma and LG will likely be next to stop making Plasma next year. The fat lady is singing for Plasma, as now even LED is coming out.[/QUOTE]

i dont know about which is cheaper to make, but plasmas should be cheaper because theyre older, people arent buying them in comparison to lcds? where are u getting ur facts from some 8 year old down ur block? Pioneer didnt stop making tvs, they moved their production in with panasonic(someone correct me if im wrong), I dont know anything about LED's, but just because LED is coming out doesnt mean plasma is going away, theyre completely different technology

[quote name='Furashu'] Pioneer didnt stop making tvs, they moved their production in with panasonic(someone correct me if im wrong), I dont know anything about LED's, but just because LED is coming out doesnt mean plasma is going away, theyre completely different technology[/QUOTE]

youre wrong =) pioneer planned that and then earlier in the year they stated they were completely done. their kuro tech should show up in panasonic displays at some point.

LED displays were supposed to close the gap between lcd and plasma displays. led displays are the best current lcd's.

I picked this up yesterday. I dont know about the BS arguments on here, but the TV looks really good. I have a 52" 1080p LCD and this is pretty damn close, especially from more than a couple feet away. Im definitely really happy with it and recommend anyone who's to go in and see it hooked up. Even if you don't want the XBOX and end up selling it, its a pretty good deal and the TV has an awesome picture

[quote name='Furashu']no u dont, most plasmas now a days dont even require to break in ur tv.
if u read the manuals for all panny plasmas it says its not required, its just for paranoid people..[/quote]

Maybe it's "not required", but, my Panasonic Viera P50G10 plasma manual says a break-in period is recommended. If the TV manufacturer recommends it, I would certainly wish to abide by it.

But, I'm not defending what the other poster put. I'm a huge fan of plasma, and I know a lot of what he put is...well, probably not accurate.

[quote name='heathdud']Yessir, mine looks great too. A bunch of whiners on here. It's a great deal[/QUOTE]

Yea, it is irritating that the people that are whining about this HDTV don't even own it. I'm pretty sure they have never seen it in person either.

I received the 42" Vierra from Dell yesterday and it is a great HDTV.
(yea.. I know.. I'm a sucker.
I paid $480 around black friday which was a great price at that time.
I'm kind of piss at Dell for delivering the HDTV 4 days after the Delivery Date)

Do they have a similar deal but with a 1080P HDTV? I'm looking for for 40-42 inch, I don't see a package deal there.

[quote name='kennypowers']I picked this up yesterday. I dont know about the BS arguments on here, but the TV looks really good. I have a 52" 1080p LCD and this is pretty damn close, especially from more than a couple feet away. Im definitely really happy with it and recommend anyone who's to go in and see it hooked up. Even if you don't want the XBOX and end up selling it, its a pretty good deal and the TV has an awesome picture[/QUOTE]
whoa whoa whoa. hold the train. are you saying that you have a 1080p display and this "old outdated" 720p display and it doesnt look like total garbage in comparison? geez, maybe theres something to these people saying there's far more to a display than its resolution. no way you must just be blind.

congrats on the purchase, its a fantastic deal.

[quote name='husyk']Do they have a similar deal but with a 1080P HDTV? I'm looking for for 40-42 inch, I don't see a package deal there.[/QUOTE]

I too am now thinking I'd like to get a Plasma. The big problem with plasmas for me is the glare on them, especially in a room with lots of windows. But I think I can deal with that if I can get a good deal on one.

I'd like to get one over 40", but if they have 1080p for a decent price, even better. We have two LCD tvs but if I could score a plasma for my office and put the Westinghouse LCD in the bedroom, that would be great. I sit somewhat close to the tv for gaming so I think I might be better off with 1080p, even if it's just a tad bit of difference.

This is a great deal, though. It's basically a $350 television when you split it all out (I'd have to sell the 360 since I already own 2 of them).

[quote name='Japakneez']I don't want to game with any lag and my big problem with LCDs is the lag. Aren't plasmas pretty much lag free?[/QUOTE]

not necessarily. it has a lot to do with processing. though from what ive seen in testing plasmas are as a whole a safer bet, some are terrible in that area. If thats youre concern id check for testing on the models youre considering regardless of it being an lcd or plasma.

[quote name='husyk']Do they have a similar deal but with a 1080P HDTV? I'm looking for for 40-42 inch, I don't see a package deal there.[/QUOTE]

You're not going to be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at that size.

Got the deal today.

Got 5 $100 BB gift cards at Kroger for $90 each and used that to pay. I tried to get 7, but they didn't let me get 2 more, even after going to a different kroger.

Got 5% bing cashback (just search for panasonic).

If you're buying this, Don't add the bundle to your cart. Instead, add the tv, the xbox, 12-month live card and then the avatar game, in this order. The live card will drop to $9.99 and your total will be $709.96 before tax!

I'll be selling the xbox and avatar on ebay and will keep the rest. I'm also selling a big 55" projection tv that this is replacing. I don't need a huge tv anymore, cause now I have a 110" screen with a projector for blu-ray/xbox.

Overal, great deal! I'm surprised this is still available! I think the fact that it's a bundle and 720p is preventing people from jumpin in. Their loss ...

No, the deal is only for this one TV. There are 1080p ps3 bundles at Best Buy. Sony has a bunch of their 1080p LCD's on sale in the PS3 bundle but they're all 46"+ sets. And they're also really picked over. Almost every set under 52" is either no longer in production and sold out or on backorder. Its an awesome deal, but if you have any interest, act fast.

As far as lag on this 42" plasma, there hasnt been any in the few hours of gaming of put in so far. Most of the reviews of this TV say that the Viera's are great for gaming and I definitely agree with them so far, especially in high contrast/dark games.

i must say im not impressed with this TV

Any ideas why? It just seems dark, bland nothing-My old AQUOS was vivid, and the colors seemed to pop! This is just meh

bread's done
Back