Xbox Fall Preview Program 2009 (Now Active)

We'll probably get an email around 3am EST either today or tomorrow, and then get the update that night.

Added a link to Joystiq's complete roundup of the new dashboard.

so Friday is when they are supposed to start sending out emails

from Major's twitter

The preview schedule: We close sign ups later today and (if all goes well) send first wave of notification emails Friday
about 9 hours ago from TweetDeck

[quote name='fart_bubble']so Friday is when they are supposed to start sending out emails

from Major's twitter[/QUOTE]

Sweet.

I just signed up for this about half an hour ago. I also got the short form that only asked for GT, SN, and ID, no survey that asked about my TV or anything like that. When I finished signing up it said this at the bottom of the welcome message:

You have successfully applied to Xbox Live Update Preview and your status is Active.

I googled that and it looks like there are a few other people who got the "active" message too. They think it's sort of an auto-approval because they've participated in past previews. That makes sense for them, but in my case this is my first time signing up for any of these. I'll just wait and see what happens.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Any word on if this update will feature the in game screen capture options?[/QUOTE]

Simmer down now. Those of us who will be in the Preview Program (I better get in) will look for it.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Any word on if this update will feature the in game screen capture options?[/QUOTE]

I really really really doubt it.

Who said that's even in the plans?

The Facebook thing? I believe that developers have to add support to their games, so it won't be there at launch.

Here is an earlier post from page 1 that i made....

[quote name='The 7th Number']An IGN video you can watch here.... says

Eventually Microsoft plans to allow gamers to snap screen shots of their game, and upload them to facebook directly. But for now this application runs seperately as a stand alone program.

Does this mean we can take screen shots during this update, its just not combined with facebook? I hope so, as long as we can transfer them to my PC via USB flash drive. If there is no way to upload them to anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I heard about that this morning...I'm thinking it's probably like Bungie.net where you can check out your stats and compare with friends...etc.

I already got my update downloaded and installed - now to link up with the FB account, and stream some last.fm!

Yeah they are pretty cool. Twitter is just updates, cant go to links or pics.

Facebook you can see photos and stuff. Scrolling through the posts your friends have done is a little laggy though. Definitely not a smooth transition.

I been using my twitter from it for about 40 minutes, been great, just wish you could listen to Last.Fm while playing a game

Initial Impressions:
- Updating a separate Application for the Zune Marketplace is sort of lame
- Facebook is a YMMV with it portion of the update (no friends = no point)
- Twitter...no real point
- Last.fm might be the best part of the update, even without the ability to play music while playing games

Major Nelson's Twitter said:
The emails are a bit behind for first wave folks, we prioritized getting you the update over sending emails :)44 minutes ago

I turned my 360 on and it promted me for the update .
I didn't get the e-mail yet .

Everyone should give it a try . ;)

woo, got my update, I think the only thing I'll ever use is last.fm. I don't have a twitter account, but the prettiness of the xbox application is making me want to get one...

I also got a lot of errors in last.fm, but it always played fine.

[quote name='SpazX']I also got a lot of errors in last.fm, but it always played fine.[/QUOTE]
Same.
Twitter and Facebook are meh, but last.fm is good. Not sure what to think of Halo Waypoint, though.

hey question... I accidentally clicked cancel download while downloading Facebook...

now when I try to click Facebook to redownload... the screen fades to black and exits right back to the main menu again... I can't get into it now...

any ideas?

Got booted from Live and was glad for a change since I figured that meant update. I was right.

I think I actually like the Twitter and Facebook integration better than the real sites, even though it's more limited on the Xbox. Navigation and layout is nicer though.

About to give last.fm a shot. Glad to see it does allow scrobbling, for some reason I could never get a straight answer on that.

*Edit* - I do get an error every time a new song starts when I'm playing a radio station, but it's actually working fine. Just have to press A to get the message off the screen.

[quote name='DestroVega']hey question... I accidentally clicked cancel download while downloading Facebook...

now when I try to click Facebook to redownload... the screen fades to black and exits right back to the main menu again... I can't get into it now...

any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Try to find it on your hard drive, delete it, and redownload. I would think it would show up somewhere on your drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
servers must be getting hammered right now, keep getting errors

good lord, hour and a half and I'm stuck at about 50%

Last edited by a moderator:
Facebook might be good if the "Friends on Facebook" thing had anyone in it.

Last FM is pretty nice. I'd probably use it if my Xbox was in the living room.

On the error message: http://forums.xbox.com/29599307/ShowPost.aspx

There's an issue with the last.fm servers that's causing this behavior. If it's too annoying, you can turn off scrobbling temporarily via the settings page (Main screen -> Your Last.fm Profile -> Settings), and you shouldn't see it after every song. You'll still see it when the app loads and if you love/ban a track. You also won't be able to play any of last.fm's recommend stations (you should see the channel empty).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

--Mike
Last.fm team
Microsoft

Facebook and Twitter are meh, wish we could visit links in the tweet or even look at the pictures, that would be nice. New to lastfm, does anyone know to acutally play the CAGCast on LastFM? I added it to my Library but it doesn't play the podcast only songs.

by the way, when you add tracks to your favorites when you click the heart on last.fm they will not be be able to be accessed unless you sign up for a last.fm membership for $3 a month

Now i feel compelled to fill up my FB friends list and get some twitter followers. Dam you microsoft. Last FM is the best part of this update.

Got in last night around 10 EST.

Facebook: Really nice, little slow, some friends info/pictures just wouldn't load. They should add facebook chat similar to live chat with the chat pad

twitter: I use twitter all the time but don't see myself using this (if they allowed to at least see twitpics and update from the guide I would probably use it all the time)

last.fm: really impressed, I will probably use this the most out of everything in the update

News (MSNBC/cartoons): the videos were a litte grainy and are played like inside xbox so they don't take up the whole screen which is lame. Got to love Brian Williams though. Dilbert video I watched was choppy.

Zune Marketplace: Was hoping they would post some 1080P trailers but I think they are looking to make 4-5 bucks off everyone that wants to try it out. Might rent Wizard of OZ since it's 1080P and seems to be cheaper 360 points.

Has anyone found anything else that wasn't announced? Where is waypoint?

Got the update last night. Tried everything out except the Zune 1080p. Facebook and Twitter looked pretty good, but I'm not sure I'll use it on the 360, especially since it is separate app that you have to open each time you want to check stuff. Most of the time I have a laptop or netbook near me when I'm playing so why would I kick to the dash and start up a fb/twitter app when I can just look at it on the latptop or a blackberry?

Last.fm seems cool, but I kept getting errors. I'll have to try it out more this weekend. I know you cannot listen to last.fm in game, but can you at least listen to it while browsing the dash?

[quote name='thrustbucket']Did anyone that got in get an email saying they got in?[/QUOTE]

Nope, just got kicked from Live, and when I re-signed on I updated.

I haven't gotten any emails either, I don't think anybody has, it seems like they plan on sending them out tonight.

I already used Last.fm before now, but this is still pretty neat.

Definitely won't be using the Facebook application though, very bland and not much to even do besides update your status. My laptop is always sitting next to me if I'm on the Xbox, so... yeah.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So Halo Waypoint is not up yet, right? I couldn't find it last night.[/QUOTE]

They posted on X360a that AceyBongos (England's version of Major Nelson) said that Halo Waypoint would be available sometime next week.

bread's done
Back