Xbox Games on Demand sale 75% off

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!
http://majornelson.com/2012/06/14/june-19-25-games-on-demand-sale/

June 19 – July 2 Games on Demand Sale

the sale has been extended!

These deals will be available in all Xbox LIVE regions where the title is available.

$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Alone in the Dark
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WW II
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Bolt
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Bomberman Act: Zero
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
$3.99 (normally $13.99) 73% off Conan
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Dark Void
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off FaceBreaker
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Kameo
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Meet the Robinsons
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Open Season
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Perfect Dark Zero
$4.99 (normally $14.99) 73% off Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Rockstar Table Tennis
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off SEGA Superstars Tennis
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Surf’s Up
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Tornado Outbreak
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Virtua Tennis 2009
$4.99 (normally $19.99) 75% off Viva Pinata Party Animals

I think Prince of Persia and Conan are great at this price!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kayne2000']except its true these games should be listed as 4.99 or lower permanently. this is hardly a sale. oh wow games that are years old or sold poorly are now discounted? lol really microsoft? this should be stand pricing. none of these were even close to worth 20 dollars.[/QUOTE]

you guys are missing the point. you can make an argument that all video games should be free. that would be a valid argument. but it's not the point of a sales thread. no one is arguing these games should be $20. what they're trying to determine is whether these games are worth it at the sales price.

The point of a sales thread is to determine whether a game is worth it at the given price. And I don't know how anyone can argue that Prince of Persia is not a fabulous game for $3.99. Or how Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is a good game at the given price.

Sure, we'd love for these games to be set as $5 as the normal price. But it's not so to cry about it doesn't do any good. The only good is to see whether the game is worth it to you at the price.

Like I could argue that Battlefield 3 is worth it for me at $10 but not worth it for me at $30 or $60. But why would I make the argument that Battlefield 3 should have a price of $10? It doesn't have a price of $10 so arguing it should be wouldn't make a difference.

Judging a game by price has tons of problems. Duke Nukem Forever could be given to me for free, and I'd probably say no just to save the hard drive space!

If you're not judging the merits of the game at the given price, you're basically trolling because you're ignoring all the good and bad points of the game, and you have nothing to contribute except hoping that someone listens to you on something you said that has no relevance to their purchasing decision. You're just making a cursory glance as if you're window shopping instead of real shopping.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']how does getting banned have anything to do with this topic? Way to fail at a rebound.[/QUOTE]

You're still in high school, aren't you?

[quote name='dirtyvu']you guys are missing the point. you can make an argument that all video games should be free. that would be a valid argument. but it's not the point of a sales thread. no one is arguing these games should be $20. what they're trying to determine is whether these games are worth it at the sales price.

The point of a sales thread is to determine whether a game is worth it at the given price. And I don't know how anyone can argue that Prince of Persia is not a fabulous game for $3.99. Or how Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is a good game at the given price.

Sure, we'd love for these games to be set as $5 as the normal price. But it's not so to cry about it doesn't do any good. The only good is to see whether the game is worth it to you at the price.

Like I could argue that Battlefield 3 is worth it for me at $10 but not worth it for me at $30 or $60. But why would I make the argument that Battlefield 3 should have a price of $10? It doesn't have a price of $10 so arguing it should be wouldn't make a difference.

Judging a game by price has tons of problems. Duke Nukem Forever could be given to me for free, and I'd probably say no just to save the hard drive space!

If you're not judging the merits of the game at the given price, you're basically trolling because you're ignoring all the good and bad points of the game, and you have nothing to contribute except hoping that someone listens to you on something you said that has no relevance to their purchasing decision. You're just making a cursory glance as if you're window shopping instead of real shopping.[/QUOTE]

all video games being free is nowhere even close to a valid argument about anything. im not saying 5 dollars is a bad deal for some of these games. i am saying 5 dollars should be the standard price for these games.

and arguing things does make a difference if no one argued about anything we would still have slavery in america anyway.

it seems you are the troll here not me.

this is just like the lollipop chainsaw thread all over again. Can you please stop spouting your opinions on how much companies should price games?

[quote name='tmly']I'll be picking up Conan. Just finished the demo and it was fun enough. Graphics are dated and controls a bit sluggish, but for $2, my cost as I picked up some points for half off a while back, it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

Conan is one of my favorite action games this gen. If I didn't already own it, I would be all over it. Though, much like the hero himself, the game is definitely one dimensional. Just go in knowing what to expect (beating the shit out of baddies with gory, but pretty tight gameplay) and you will be fine.

[quote name='confoosious']this is just like the lollipop chainsaw thread all over again. Can you please stop spouting your opinions on how much companies should price games?[/QUOTE]

Thankfully, I missed that conversation, but if I was in the habit of dropping $60 on games, I would be all over that. The game looks extremely over the top and fun. Even in the action genre, it looks like a break from the norm.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Conan is one of my favorite action games this gen. If I didn't already own it, I would be all over it. Though, much like the hero himself, the game is definitely one dimensional. Just go in knowing what to expect (beating the shit out of baddies with gory, but pretty tight gameplay) and you will be fine.[/QUOTE]

I played the demo and did not like it. Is the game much better? Thinking about picking it up since I have waited too long for good deals on Xbox Live.

[quote name='killer9']Come on ms offer some of the better titles for 5 bucks like the fables the gears and halos mixed in with the dreck[/QUOTE]

I cannot wait for the day when one of your comments has a period in it. Or adds any value to the discussion.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Conan is one of my favorite action games this gen. If I didn't already own it, I would be all over it. Though, much like the hero himself, the game is definitely one dimensional. Just go in knowing what to expect (beating the shit out of baddies with gory, but pretty tight gameplay) and you will be fine.
[/QUOTE]

Conan was so off my radar as I had no idea what it was besides being loosely based on the character from the movies. Now, it's definitely on my radar. Thanks!

[quote name='kayne2000']all video games being free is nowhere even close to a valid argument about anything.[/QUOTE]
Argument One: They're just 1s and 0s. They can be copied millions of times without losing the original, so why not be free?

Argument Two: The F2P model.

I'm not saying either is right, or that I agree, but there are definitely arguments to be made, no matter how many times Batman rides an elephant.

[quote name='dirtyvu'] ...no one is arguing these games should be $20...[/QUOTE]

Actually, I and every other CAG here WOULD ARGUE that these games are DEFINITELY NOT worth the $20 price that they are typically sold at on Xbox LIVE! What we are saying is that these games being offered for $5 SHOULD BE THE ACTUAL/REGULAR PRICE from now on. :cool:

If you're not judging the merits of the game at the given price, you're basically trolling because you're ignoring all the good and bad points of the game, and you have nothing to contribute except hoping that someone listens to you on something you said that has no relevance to their purchasing decision. You're just making a cursory glance as if you're window shopping instead of real shopping.

Man, what the hell are you even babbling about? The MSRP for games are set by greedy corporations who sometime do a little research to evaluate what the starting MSRP should be set at, and at other times gamble by going with the industry standard $59.99 (here in the U.S. for Xbox 360 & PS3 titles), and hope they can cash in from suckers. Later when they find out when the game tanks (which happens sooner for certain games than others... *cough* INVERSION *cough*), OR when the game just gets old, only then do they lower the price. So us gamers should absolutely judge the game based on the prices being offered, and ADJUST the prices as necessary using the market force of DEMAND that we have under our control!

[quote name='PenguinJim']Argument One: They're just 1s and 0s. They can be copied millions of times without losing the original, so why not be free?

Argument Two: The F2P model.

I'm not saying either is right, or that I agree, but there are definitely arguments to be made, no matter how many times Batman rides an elephant.[/QUOTE]

1. those 1s and 0s aint cheap buddy

2. i am not completely familar with the F2P model but regardless how it works the makers still need to be compensated. they have bills to pay and families to feed is my point. hence games shouldnt all be free.

and show me this batman riding an elephant. i need to see this

[quote name='confoosious']this is just like the lollipop chainsaw thread all over again. Can you please stop spouting your opinions on how much companies should price games?[/QUOTE]

can you please stop spouting your opinion that all new games are worth 60 dollars thanks!

[quote name='nadohawk']You're still in high school, aren't you?[/QUOTE]

ah, avoiding the subject. Very nice. Whatever...this should get back on topic anyways.

[quote name='killer9']How bout the xbox originals go down to 5 bones[/QUOTE]i would love for that to happen. i want to play ninja gaiden black for the first time.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']ah, avoiding the subject. Very nice. Whatever...this should get back on topic anyways.[/QUOTE]

The subject that these games have less value because they are tied to an account and can't be accessed in the event the account is banned?

I should take the first part of your username as a clue to your intent on this site though.

[quote name='nadohawk']The subject that these games have less value because they are tied to an account and can't be accessed in the event the account is banned?

I should take the first part of your username as a clue to your intent on this site though.[/QUOTE]

so you don't buy anything in digital format on your 360 in fears that you may be banned? You tell others they should be wary that these can't be played if they are banned? Do you think a lot of users here are intending on breaking Microsoft's TOS? Why not go post in the XBL Sales thread too. I'm sure people would love your insight. Sorry for pissing in your cheerios.

[quote name='kayne2000']1. those 1s and 0s aint cheap buddy

2. i am not completely familar with the F2P model but regardless how it works the makers still need to be compensated. they have bills to pay and families to feed is my point. hence games shouldnt all be free.

and show me this batman riding an elephant. i need to see this[/QUOTE]
Ah, the benefits of a University education:

129152070011537922.jpg

[quote name='nadohawk']I played the demo and did not like it. Is the game much better? Thinking about picking it up since I have waited too long for good deals on Xbox Live.[/QUOTE]

It depends. I never played the demo, so I don't know area they did. What didn't you like about the demo? I am not going to lie..the camera can be spotty. It can work against you at times. I also thought the final boss battle was boring. But the gameplay was responsive, and I found it very satisfying to crush skulls and splatter blood all over the place like no one but Conan can. If you enjoy the character himself, or over the top action games with no real goals other kicking ass (I guess if you like one, you will prob like the other), then this can be a game that can be strangely addictive.

If not, then you probably won't like it at all. At $4 though, the risk may be worth it.

[quote name='dirtyvu']Conan was so off my radar as I had no idea what it was besides being loosely based on the character from the movies. Now, it's definitely on my radar. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Glad it sounds entertaining to you now. :D

It was entertaining enough that I played through it twice. I don't play many games twice these days. I am not trying to say it is a great game, it may have just come to me at the right time and place to justify replaying. But I really enjoyed the hell out of it for what it was and even now, I have a strong desire to toss it in now.

How is Virtua Tennis 2009 compared to the last one? I noticed a lot of unfavorable reviews on Amazon but most mention the Kinect support sucked.

Worth $5?

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']so you don't buy anything in digital format on your 360 in fears that you may be banned? You tell others they should be wary that these can't be played if they are banned? Do you think a lot of users here are intending on breaking Microsoft's TOS? Why not go post in the XBL Sales thread too. I'm sure people would love your insight. Sorry for pissing in your cheerios.[/QUOTE]

People tend to get banned for issues they did not even think were ever issues.

[quote name='Yanksfan']It depends. I never played the demo, so I don't know area they did. What didn't you like about the demo? I am not going to lie..the camera can be spotty. It can work against you at times. I also thought the final boss battle was boring. But the gameplay was responsive, and I found it very satisfying to crush skulls and splatter blood all over the place like no one but Conan can. If you enjoy the character himself, or over the top action games with no real goals other kicking ass (I guess if you like one, you will prob like the other), then this can be a game that can be strangely addictive.

If not, then you probably won't like it at all. At $4 though, the risk may be worth it.[/QUOTE]

The gameplay was repetitive and the graphics looked last gen. It felt like a title from early to mid 2004. I guess the best word to use is generic. For a tank of gas, I might just give it a second chance. I mean that is less than many of the DOTW titles I have bought and never played.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']How is Virtua Tennis 2009 compared to the last one? I noticed a lot of unfavorable reviews on Amazon but most mention the Kinect support sucked.

Worth $5?[/QUOTE]

It is a series that has stagnated over the years. Have you played a lot of VT, especially when it came out on the Dreamcast? If so, then you know what to expect here.

If you haven't, it is a fun and decent tennis game. Either way, the game itself is worth $5, but your appreciation of it will definitely vary based off of your mood for a tennis game right now and how much you have been exposed to the series.

[quote name='nadohawk']
The gameplay was repetitive and the graphics looked last gen. It felt like a title from early to mid 2004. I guess the best word to use is generic. For a tank of gas, I might just give it a second chance. I mean that is less than many of the DOTW titles I have bought and never played.[/QUOTE]

It is repetitive, but in a manner, it is also kind of the point of the game. It definitely isn't for everyone (or probably most people), and if you were grated by the repetition in the demo, then likely this would be a bad purchase for you. There are numerous moves to unlock and I found a lot of satisfaction in mastering the combat system and swinging through herds of enemies completely destroying them.

The graphics don't bother me in the slightest, though they definitely are not top notch. The game was released over five years ago and it wasn't a powerhouse even then.

[quote name='nadohawk']People tend to get banned for issues they did not even think were ever issues.
[/QUOTE]

Guess you better not download Conan then. :p

After reading that site "why was I banned"(?), everyone was banned for a reason.

My solution is not to get banned.

[quote name='nadohawk']The subject that these games have less value because they are tied to an account and can't be accessed in the event the account is banned?[/QUOTE]
Is this an actual concern of yours or are you just pushing this onto others? Do you refuse to buy XBLA games for the same reason? They're all digital content on Xbox Live that could easily be worthless if you get banned.

Didn't want to look through the pages for this...but did anyone notice RDR is only $14.99???

Even cheaper than I could buy this used at BBY!

What do I do with these fancy digital downloads if there is a zombie apocalypse and the internet breaks in half and the power goes out I would rather have a physical disc I can keep under my pillow and sleep with at night and put the box on my shelf to display to all my friends and you get instructions too

[quote name='gordojones88']What do I do with these fancy digital downloads if there is a zombie apocalypse and the internet breaks in half and the power goes out I would rather have a physical disc I can keep under my pillow and sleep with at night and put the box on my shelf to display to all my friends and you get instructions too[/QUOTE]

This is precisely why I only use analog downloads.

This seems like a decent enough deal, but with Sony upping the ante with the PS Plus goodness this just seems so weak in comparison. I am seriously starting to ? my gold subscription. Ive had a better experience with Live as far as online play goes, but Sony is really killing it with the PS + deals.... Regardless, there are some good games in here. IDK if it has been said, but Viva Pinata: PA is a great family/party game, Kameo is just a visual marvel that still holds up well today and you should really take a chance on it if you have never bothered, and Bionic Commando is actually pretty good if you can get past the bad bits and frustrating parts. Not bad deals, but MS should have let Gold members DL these for free.

[quote name='PenguinJim']This is precisely why I only use analog downloads.[/QUOTE]

That took me a minute but eventually I LOLed quite hard. :applause:

[quote name='brewin']This seems like a decent enough deal, but with Sony upping the ante with the PS Plus goodness this just seems so weak in comparison. I am seriously starting to ? my gold subscription. Ive had a better experience with Live as far as online play goes, but Sony is really killing it with the PS + deals.... Regardless, there are some good games in here. IDK if it has been said, but Viva Pinata: PA is a great family/party game, Kameo is just a visual marvel that still holds up well today and you should really take a chance on it if you have never bothered, and Bionic Commando is actually pretty good if you can get past the bad bits and frustrating parts. Not bad deals, but MS should have let Gold members DL these for free.[/QUOTE]

The thing is, if you buy these games and don't buy Gold any more, the games are yours to keep. If you stop subscribing to PS+, you lose that "instant game collection" you had, since PS+ is nothing more than a glorified rental service in which you can't chose what you want to rent.

Don't get me wrong, I like PS+ (have a subscription active right now), but I would rather own the games (as in pay once, keep them forever) than own them only for as long as I can afford the subscription.

[quote name='Al_001']Actually, I and every other CAG here WOULD ARGUE that these games are DEFINITELY NOT worth the $20 price that they are typically sold at on Xbox LIVE! What we are saying is that these games being offered for $5 SHOULD BE THE ACTUAL/REGULAR PRICE from now on. :cool:

Man, what the hell are you even babbling about? The MSRP for games are set by greedy corporations who sometime do a little research to evaluate what the starting MSRP should be set at, and at other times gamble by going with the industry standard $59.99 (here in the U.S. for Xbox 360 & PS3 titles), and hope they can cash in from suckers. Later when they find out when the game tanks (which happens sooner for certain games than others... *cough* INVERSION *cough*), OR when the game just gets old, only then do they lower the price. So us gamers should absolutely judge the game based on the prices being offered, and ADJUST the prices as necessary using the market force of DEMAND that we have under our control![/QUOTE]

A good number of those games are easily worth the $20 price tag. Kameo, PDZ, Prince of Persia, to name a few, were easily worth their original $60 price tag. The MSRP is based not on greed, but on how much the game costs to develop, manufacture, ship and stock in retail as well as expected sales for it (they spend millions or even billions making the games you know? They need them to sell a couple of million units to even break even, something most games DON'T do).

[quote name='DarkPGR']The thing is, if you buy these games and don't buy Gold any more, the games are yours to keep. If you stop subscribing to PS+, you lose that "instant game collection" you had, since PS+ is nothing more than a glorified rental service in which you can't chose what you want to rent.

Don't get me wrong, I like PS+ (have a subscription active right now), but I would rather own the games (as in pay once, keep them forever) than own them only for as long as I can afford the subscription.[/QUOTE]

Obviously outright ownership is better than "owning" the games via PS+, but the way PS+ is going there's really no reason to let the subscription ever lapse. I don't plan to unless my PS3 dies or after the new consoles come out and they stop supporting the PS3 with PS+. So in my mind I own the PS+ games the same way I would own any other digital content.

[quote name='brewin']Not bad deals, but MS should have let Gold members DL these for free.[/QUOTE]

While I agree that these should be free games given the competition from PS+ lately, Microsoft doesn't need to do it. Sony is still trying to prove that PS+ is worth the value to its customers while XBL is already a proven entity.

Unfortunately while the PS+ sale is infinitely better than this GOD sale, I just don't feel like investing the money into getting PS+ and a new harddrive for my PS3 plus the amount of time it would take to download these free games. I'd also much rather pay a low, discounted price for these games and be able to keep them forever than having them on borrowed time as it were.

As Shipwreck said in the CAGcast this week, I'm tempted to get one of these GOD sale games just to support the idea of a sale in hopes that Microsoft will try to compete with used prices later on down the road. As others have said, nearly all of these games can be had used at GS for the same price or lower. I think I'm going to pick up Kameo since I missed a whole series of launch titles when I first got my 360.

(EDIT: For anyone that cares, getting 100% completion for Kameo is a pain in the ass. Almost half of the achievements are 0 points and there's a required 80MP DLC pack. You can get 1000/1000 for this game but it won't show up as 100% complete unless you get these useless 0 point achievements as well.)

[quote name='tylerh1701']Obviously outright ownership is better than "owning" the games via PS+, but the way PS+ is going there's really no reason to let the subscription ever lapse. I don't plan to unless my PS3 dies or after the new consoles come out and they stop supporting the PS3 with PS+. So in my mind I own the PS+ games the same way I would own any other digital content.[/QUOTE]

What worries me the most about sony is how little they cared about their customers when going from PS2 to PS3 and from PSP to Vita. They threw backwards compatibility out of the window and instead expected us to double-dip on most games. I feel the same will be true going from PS3 to PS4 and PS+ probably won't be any different.

And on the letting it lapse matter. I don't plan to, at least for now. But I don't know if I will be able to afford it every time I have to renew.

[quote name='metallicoholic']While I agree that these should be free games given the competition from PS+ lately, Microsoft doesn't need to do it. Sony is still trying to prove that PS+ is worth the value to its customers while XBL is already a proven entity.

Unfortunately while the PS+ sale is infinitely better than this GOD sale, I just don't feel like investing the money into getting PS+ and a new harddrive for my PS3 plus the amount of time it would take to download these free games. I'd also much rather pay a low, discounted price for these games and be able to keep them forever than having them on borrowed time as it were.

As Shipwreck said in the CAGcast this week, I'm tempted to get one of these GOD sale games just to support the idea of a sale in hopes that Microsoft will try to compete with used prices later on down the road. As others have said, nearly all of these games can be had used at GS for the same price or lower. I think I'm going to pick up Kameo since I missed a whole series of launch titles when I first got my 360.

(EDIT: For anyone that cares, getting 100% completion for Kameo is a pain in the ass. Almost half of the achievements are 0 points and there's a required 80MP DLC pack. You can get 1000/1000 for this game but it won't show up as 100% complete unless you get these useless 0 point achievements as well.)[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the install times too, which is something I really HATE about PS3 and PSN in general. Downloading all the PS+ games only took about a day (As in 24 hours), but installing them all took almost twice that long. Of everything they have copied, why can't they copy Microsoft's "install as you download" thing? D:

I don't remember any Kameo DLC that had achievements with gamerscore (plus I know Xbox LIVE considers a game 100% when you get all achievements that shipped with the game, no DLC required). There is a free DLC pack that adds achievemtns (if I remember correctly, all those are 0 G). I do agree it isn't a game that is easy to 100% on.

On PS+, they had games for ten dollars download that were only a couple years old at most such as Burnout Paradise and Assassin's Creed 2. Granted those deals were sometimes far between, but it is better than what Microsoft offers.

I would love to see Microsoft take the same approach.

I would like ms to give a crap about gold members period they dont give us free games ever we have to pay for the right to play online or watch netflix or anything really hopefully they change by the next xbox

Part of the reason PS3 games will sell for cheaper, is because they aren't going to have a very long lifetime.

The PS4 will NOT be backwards compatible (for PS3 games). The Cell Processor is a one generation and done technology, and while the PS3 games might be emulated someday -- it's not going to happen anytime soon on retail hardware. It's a very unique chip architecture, and was never really ideal for gaming to begin with.

So, all those PS3 games are not going to be able to be sold in the next (and far more digitally oriented...if not disc free) generation of consoles. New PS3 units will probably vanish very quickly as soon as the PS4 launches too - the system just doesn't scale as good as the PS1 & 2 did. This is the last and only chance for publishers to make a buck on those titles....for a long time.

The XBOX 720 (420?) platform will be a scaled up version of what's there now -- it'll be backwards compatible practically right off the Chinese assembly line. Those games on the service now will download and play on that system without any issues.

[quote name='killer9']You have been to the future sony told u ps3 games wont be playable on ps4 cool can i borrow ur time machine sir?[/QUOTE]

Its called common sense, and looking at how sony handled this generation, and how it is handling the next generation (PSVita).

That and the fact that the cell architecture isn't as good anymore compared to what IBM has been doing with it. If they want to keep costs down (And they will) they won't be able to have PS3 hardware on the PS4, which means no hardware-based backwards compat, which means if they want it they will have to do it software-based. Something they did with the PS2 for the PS3 but decided not to release for free and instead have you pay for your games again on PSN, or buy and keep a PS2.

There are some free arcade games out there. Some may not be available anymore though:

Doritos Crash Course
Harms Way
Aegis Wing
Yaris (delisted)
Totemball (requires camera)
Dash of Destruction (delisted)
Kinect Fun Labs (Kinect required)

Not to mention all the deals the deals they offer here and there of getting some free arcade games when renewing your gold account.

May fail in comparison to the free games Sony offers but you do get to keep them.

[quote name='killer9']You have been to the future sony told u ps3 games wont be playable on ps4 cool can i borrow ur time machine sir?[/QUOTE]

The PS3 was originally backwards compatible, because they put the WHOLE PS2 CHIPSET into the PS3. The PS3 only survived by burning brand -- the system went from first to last place because of the outrageous price on launch day.

The PS4 will be DOA if it has to ship with a Cell chip just for backwards compatibility. It's not going to happen.

So, then, can a modern architecture (and the PS4 will likely look a lot like the XBOX 720 if Sony has any sense whatsoever) emulate the Cell Architecture? No, it cannot. Even if there is a core for every SPE (and one for the PPE)....it just won't work. I could explain why in more detail, but suffice to say that the PS3 architecture can't even emulate a PS2 chip, and processing power hasn't been making leaps and bounds in the last few years (additional power is coming by the numbers....as in cores).

You'd be lucky if the PS5 can emulate PS3 games with consistency.

[quote name='LifeMakesMeLOL']Dash of Destruction, but I think it's delisted now.[/QUOTE]

that's it. I got that mixed up with Crash Course. I think Crash Course is still available to dl.

[quote name='Pucker']The PS3 was originally backwards compatible, because they put the WHOLE PS2 CHIPSET into the PS3. The PS3 only survived by burning brand -- the system went from first to last place because of the outrageous price on launch day.

The PS4 will be DOA if it has to ship with a Cell chip just for backwards compatibility. It's not going to happen.

So, then, can a modern architecture (and the PS4 will likely look a lot like the XBOX 720 if Sony has any sense whatsoever) emulate the Cell Architecture? No, it cannot. Even if there is a core for every SPE (and one for the PPE)....it just won't work. I could explain why in more detail, but suffice to say that the PS3 architecture can't even emulate a PS2 chip, and processing power hasn't been making leaps and bounds in the last few years (additional power is coming by the numbers....as in cores).

You'd be lucky if the PS5 can emulate PS3 games with consistency.[/QUOTE]

The reason backwards compatibility stopped is because Sony figured out they could make good money selling everyone their old games again as "classics" I expect MS to go the same route - when it comes to making money most companies have no problem learning from the competition.

[quote name='Pucker']Part of the reason PS3 games will sell for cheaper, is because they aren't going to have a very long lifetime.

The PS4 will NOT be backwards compatible (for PS3 games). The Cell Processor is a one generation and done technology, and while the PS3 games might be emulated someday -- it's not going to happen anytime soon on retail hardware. It's a very unique chip architecture, and was never really ideal for gaming to begin with.

So, all those PS3 games are not going to be able to be sold in the next (and far more digitally oriented...if not disc free) generation of consoles. New PS3 units will probably vanish very quickly as soon as the PS4 launches too - the system just doesn't scale as good as the PS1 & 2 did. This is the last and only chance for publishers to make a buck on those titles....for a long time.

The XBOX 720 (420?) platform will be a scaled up version of what's there now -- it'll be backwards compatible practically right off the Chinese assembly line. Those games on the service now will download and play on that system without any issues.[/QUOTE]

You do know that the Xbox 360 has a smaller version of the Cell, right?

[quote name='Mugatu']The reason backwards compatibility stopped is because Sony figured out they could make good money selling everyone their old games again as "classics" I expect MS to go the same route - when it comes to making money most companies have no problem learning from the competition.[/QUOTE]

you can already do xbox originals on the 360......but yiu can also run the game disc in the system too seeing as 360s are backwards compatible

bread's done
Back