Xbox HD-DVD dropped to $129

MS needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Drop to $129?!?!

Toshiba has a standalone HD DVD player for $129. I paid $179 (using nothing but trade-in credit) when they first came out and at that time the standalones were $400+.

Times have changed with HD DVD losing support and Toshiba's bargain basement prices. Why would anyone be stupid enough to pay the same price for an add-on than for a standalone, which in my opinion would be more consistent using hardware than software based playback?

The add-on should be no more than $99 and even that is high based on current hardware prices for standalones.

[quote name='awp']MS needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Drop to $129?!?!

Toshiba has a standalone HD DVD player for $129. I paid $179 (using nothing but trade-in credit) when they first came out and at that time the standalones were $400+.

Times have changed with HD DVD losing support and Toshiba's bargain basement prices. Why would anyone be stupid enough to pay the same price for an add-on than for a standalone, which in my opinion would be more consistent using hardware than software based playback?

The add-on should be no more than $99 and even that is high based on current hardware prices for standalones.[/QUOTE]

The A3 is $149.99 MSRP, not $129.99.

If Microsoft had made this an integrated device with the launch of the Elite we could have possibly had an interesting format war right now.

But they didn't, and HD-DVD has basically lost the fight. It will go the way of the betamax.

[quote name='GizmoGC']The A3 is $149.99 MSRP, not $129.99.[/quote]

Still, this is an add-on. It needs a XBOX 360 (or PC) to work. $99.99 sounds right.

[quote name='GizmoGC']The A3 is $149.99 MSRP, not $129.99.[/quote]

they've been putting those a3's on clearance at bestbuy and circuit city for $100 the last few weeks or so

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169726

personally i wouldn't buy this add-on until its sub-100. A stand-alone player would be a lot better. with hd-dvd heading towards a dead-end, a firesale isn't far off from now also.

[quote name='jeagle82']Well, everyone hop on the Amazon deal of the day, as the XBOX HD-DVD player is $79.99 with free shipping.[/quote]

And it's been OOS since at least 7:30a EST.

[quote name='GizmoGC']The A3 is $149.99 MSRP, not $129.99.[/QUOTE]

True, but it can be found for $130 or less easily. e.g. it's $118.49 on Amazon currently. So there's really no point in buying an inferior add on vs. a standalone. Maybe if there are some sales on it that put it in the $50 range or something. But I'd still go for a standalone vs. an add on personally.

Hell the 1080p A30 is $151 on Amazon even.

Though honestly, with HD-DVD all but dead now I really see no point in buying even at these prices unless someone was an early adopter and wants a second player or to upgrade to a 1080p player etc.

[quote name='daminion']If Microsoft had made this an integrated device with the launch of the Elite we could have possibly had an interesting format war right now.

But they didn't, and HD-DVD has basically lost the fight. It will go the way of the betamax.[/QUOTE]
Truth to the first half of that. Second half I dunno... remember how much money Sony threw at betamax (ironically) and the MiniDisc when they first came out? SO many people jumped on it (especially md) and it became a fad at first, but where are they now? I'm still holding my breath to see which side comes out on top. I don't think hd-dvd is dead yet. Sony hasn't gotten a firm base of consumers IMO.

[quote name='daminion']If Microsoft had made this an integrated device with the launch of the Elite we could have possibly had an interesting format war right now.

But they didn't, and HD-DVD has basically lost the fight. It will go the way of the betamax.[/quote]

You're probably right, but why would Microsoft want to risk the market position of their console by fitting it with an expensive HD-DVD drive, whats in it for them ?

They're probably hoping both formats die and everyone starts downloading movies, their support of HD-DVD has been half-hearted at best.

Mega-cliche alert!

"Too little, too late."

They'll be giving these things away by the end of the year, if they're still making them. I bought a Toshiba recently on Amazon for $129.99 (or something like that), and even if the 360 HD-DVD add-on was $99.99, I'd still pay the extra thirty bucks to have my movie viewing be totally independent of their super-faulty console.

Yeah, yeah, SDFers and such..."It won't matter a year from now, har-dee-har!" Yeah, "Bru-Ray" is going to win sooner than later, but in the meantime, I'll be able to more than justify my investment with cheap-but-quality HD-DVD titles. It's not like the damn thing will stop working the day the last HD-DVD is released.

EDIT: They're probably hoping both formats die and everyone starts downloading movies, their support of HD-DVD has been half-hearted at best.

And this is why I'm ultimately glad that the format I haven't chosen (yet) won; because some format won, thus most likely staving off the highly-undesirable DL-only world of media for at least another half-decade or so.

[quote name='jollydwarf']
Yeah, yeah, SDFers and such..."It won't matter a year from now, har-dee-har!" Yeah, "Bru-Ray" is going to win sooner than later, but in the meantime, I'll be able to more than justify my investment with cheap-but-quality HD-DVD titles. It's not like the damn thing will stop working the day the last HD-DVD is released.
[/QUOTE]

I couldn't have cared less which format won. There was just no way I was buying in until one was gone, as I don't want a machine around that will just play the handful of titles I bought for it with no ability to buy or rent new titles when it dies.

I'm still not rushing to get a BR player (have no desire for a PS3 gaming wise) as prices on players and especially disks are too high for me.

Up converted DVDs look more than good enough to my non-videophile eyes, especially when I buy most for $5-10 vs. Blu rays which tend to be $20-30 with better deals with BOGO etc. from time to time. When the price is right I'll take the plunge.

At any rate, main point was my above post had nothign to do with BR fanboyism, but just that I dont' see the point of buying into a media format on the way out, vs. just waiting for prices to come down on the winner all the HD DVD exclusive titles to make their way to BR.

I honestly feel Microsoft chose HD-DVD simply to oppose Sony. Not really because they truly felt HD-DVD would eventually become the new standard. Turning out to be a bad decision isn't it, Microsoft?

Seriously lol @ Microsoft.

[quote name='jjz203']Truth to the first half of that. Second half I dunno... remember how much money Sony threw at betamax (ironically) and the MiniDisc when they first came out? SO many people jumped on it (especially md) and it became a fad at first, but where are they now? I'm still holding my breath to see which side comes out on top. I don't think hd-dvd is dead yet. Sony hasn't gotten a firm base of consumers IMO.[/quote]

Bah, I still have my vivid red and black with a blue hue Sony MiniDisc player somewhere near my desk. What a waste of money. Anyone want to buy it? 15 dollars shipped. x_x;

But yes, if Microsoft had incorporated the HD-DVD player into the system from the start, I think it would have been a whole different ball game.

[quote name='Malik112099']i thought those cheap ass toshiba's only do 720p/1080i? the add on at least does 1080p[/QUOTE]

I think the add on only does 720p.

The cheapest Toshiba (the A3) only does 720p, the next one up that's $151 on amazon now (the A30) does 1080p.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I think the add on only does 720p.

The cheapest Toshiba (the A3) only does 720p, the next one up that's $151 on amazon now (the A30) does 1080p.[/QUOTE]

Add-on can do 1080p if you have VGA or HDMI.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I think the add on only does 720p.

The cheapest Toshiba (the A3) only does 720p, the next one up that's $151 on amazon now (the A30) does 1080p.[/QUOTE]
you're 0/2. First result in Google for A3 1080i - Amazon.com: Toshiba HD-A3 720p/1080i HD DVD Player: Electronics. Second result for xbox hd-dvd 1080p - Xbox 360 HD DVD playback: Maximum 1080i via component, 1080p VGA. ;)

I picked up an A3 for cheap. It feels like it takes about 2 days to "boot". But if you can get it for under $100 - which will become standard shortly - it's not a bad deal. I'm thinking that we will be able to pick up discs for well under $10 when the bottom falls out. Movies look good, and 1080i really helps if you happen to use a projector.

[quote name='Bune']you're 0/2. First result in Google for A3 1080i - Amazon.com: Toshiba HD-A3 720p/1080i HD DVD Player: Electronics. Second result for xbox hd-dvd 1080p - Xbox 360 HD DVD playback: Maximum 1080i via component, 1080p VGA. ;)[/QUOTE]

No I was 1/2.

The A3 only does 720p/1080i, which I said. The A30 that I also listed does 1080p. Unless you just meant that I didn't list 1080i. I just didn't bother on that as we were talking 720p vs 1080p. I could have worded it better than saying "only 720p" I suppose. I just never factor 1080i in anymore since so few people care about it these days.

I was just wrong on the add on, as I was mis-remembering that. Probably because I'd have looked at component when researching it since I don't use HDMI for my 360 (inputs already taken, and didn't want to have to shell out for the cable since I need optical out to my older receiver).

Both formats are pretty much moot. DVD is still the reigning format, and it'll stay that way until maybe digital distribution surpasses it.

At $79 bucks it might have been worth it for an addon but at $120, you are better off with a stansalone player which I read does a better job then the addon.

[quote name='dmaul1114']No I was 1/2.

The A3 only does 720p/1080i, which I said. The A30 that I also listed does 1080p. Unless you just meant that I didn't list 1080i. I just didn't bother on that as we were talking 720p vs 1080p. I could have worded it better than saying "only 720p" I suppose. I just never factor 1080i in anymore since so few people care about it these days.

I was just wrong on the add on, as I was mis-remembering that. Probably because I'd have looked at component when researching it since I don't use HDMI for my 360 (inputs already taken, and didn't want to have to shell out for the cable since I need optical out to my older receiver).[/QUOTE]
do you really want to talk semantics? [quote name='dmaul1114']I think the add on only does 720p.

The cheapest Toshiba (the A3) only does 720p, the next one up that's $151 on amazon now (the A30) does 1080p.[/QUOTE]that's not the same as [quote name='dmaul1114']The A3 only does 720p/1080i, which I said. [/QUOTE]at any rate, I was kidding around, hence the wink.

Like I said, I could have worded it better. :D I just never mention it as no one gives a crap about 1080i other than people with outdated HDTVs or projectors.

[quote name='PRican25']At $79 bucks it might have been worth it for an addon but at $120, you are better off with a stansalone player which I read does a better job then the addon.[/quote]

You don't know what you're talking about do you? The ONLY thing the 360 add on can't do that the standalone players can is a handful of the lossless audio formats(even some standalones can't), everything else is exactly the same including 1080p resolution.

There is the possibility that with the drastic lowering of prices on HD-DVD movies and players that it could refuel them into the war again. Cheaper consumers will give them a try, love the quality and continue to buy more. That's what makes it debatable for me to get this attachment.

[quote name='Valkryst']It wasn't worth $80 with amazon's dotd....[/quote]

Exactly how is that? There are 300 releases on HD-DVD, at least half of the ones that are out on both BR and HD look and sound better on HD, while having more features, plus it upconverts standard DVDs, which would run $80 for a decent standard DVD player that would do the same.

All of the 'dead format' bullshit is just that - bullshit. BR is in the lead and may eventually win, but if/when that happens, it's not like all HD-DVD hardware and media is going to spontaneously combust. I only got into HD-DVD in November with the $98 A2 at Walmart, and I've got 11 discs that I was able to pick up for what the SD discs cost, and they are wonderful. At the time, I was looking at picking up an upconverting SD player that was going to be $85 for a good one, so for the $13 difference, it was a no-brainer. The upconvert is fantastic on most discs, and I'll be picking up a BR player at some point when they become cost effective too.

I guess what I'm trying to say here, is what is your point really? $80 for a decent player is a good deal, unless you're someone who couldn't resist clicking the quick reply button with a threadshit...

The xbox 360 upconverts without the HD DVD Addon, so stop telling people it is a feature of the addon. That is a filthy lie to get people stuck with inferior, outdated, obsolete, soon to be at Big Lots hardware. Stop trying to get people in the same aweful situation as you are. You lost out on a lot of money with your HD DVD collection, help others out by telling them the truth, to avoid HD DVD like the plauge. You guys are miserable.

[quote name='Ronin317']Exactly how is that? There are 300 releases on HD-DVD, at least half of the ones that are out on both BR and HD look and sound better on HD, while having more features, plus it upconverts standard DVDs, which would run $80 for a decent standard DVD player that would do the same.
[/QUOTE]

My reasons for not caring are as follows.

First, I'd never buy the add-on. The 360 has a ridiculous failure rate as is, so i don't want to put any extra wear and tear on it from it having to be on to watch movies.

Second, while you're right that the HD DVD discs and players won't go away instantly when they pull the plug (which will probably be with in a year with the way things are going) it will still be a dead format. That means in 10 years when you're last player craps out you won't be able to buy a new one and will be stuck scrounging around for a decent quality used player to watch your HD-DVD collection.

Thus if I take the High Def movie discplunge at all it will be further down the road when Blu Ray is the only one standing and has shown it's going to stick around long term.

DVDs upconvered look more than good enough to me, so I'm in no hurry to buy into a dead format in HD DVD, or into Blu Ray which may remain a niche with prices always well above DVD. I don't care enough about HD to pay any premium for it.

[quote name='GogoTheMimic']You don't know what you're talking about do you? The ONLY thing the 360 add on can't do that the standalone players can is a handful of the lossless audio formats(even some standalones can't), everything else is exactly the same including 1080p resolution.[/QUOTE]

Well, standalone players also don't require you to put extra wear and tear on the faultiest console in history.

[quote name='GogoTheMimic']You don't know what you're talking about do you? The ONLY thing the 360 add on can't do that the standalone players can is a handful of the lossless audio formats(even some standalones can't), everything else is exactly the same including 1080p resolution.[/quote]

yeah it can do the same resolution but that doesn't mean the video quality is the same as a standalone player from which i read a standalone tops it in video quality.

as for upconverting dvds, i have read that using the addon makes it better but yeah 360 can do it on its own so long you got component, vga or hdmi connection.

Thread-Offtopic-Derailed.jpg

We already have a format war thread, I don't think we need another one in the deals forum, Mods might want to close this one.

[quote name='Trenchalicious']I'm so sick of the Blu-Raid (yes, Raid, since they have to come into every topic and try to convert people to their evil format) fanboys.[/QUOTE]

"evil format"

:rofl:

You take this shit way to seriously.

Well I received my 5 free HD DVDs in the mail yesterday... just in time too, because I started wondering where the hell they were... so that brings the haul from the Pre-Christmas Best Buy HD DVD player deal to ... HD DVD player, HD DVDs: Heroes Season 1, King Kong, What Dreams May Come, Transformers, Troy, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, U2 Rattle and Hum, Pitch Black, Aeon Flux all for $180. Considering at the time Heroes was $100, I think I made out like a bandit... since then I've gotten a few more HD DVDs for dirt cheap, most notably Serenity... and IF the war is settled this year, I'll be in the market to buy a few more HD DVDs for cheap... maybe eventually buy the Blu-ray DVD add on if Sony is stupid enough to let someone makes one for Microsoft.

Does this deal offer the 5 free HD DVDs still? It's a great deal if it does.

[quote name='oasisboy']1080i or 1080p, who cares? Only nerds and people with 50+ inch tvs care![/quote]

Oh, believe me, I do care. 50" of 1080p (the p stands for more Pleasurable viewing btw :lol:) is the only way to go.

Honestly, I will say that the add-on is probably the best up-convert dvd player I've seen. I've been watching a ton of tv shows on standard DVD's and they look very good.

I hope the hd-dvd thing keeps on keepin on. The coating on Blu-ray discs is weird.

bread's done
Back