Xbox Live Compensation - Undertow Was Free 1/23-1/27

I've thought of that, but I wouldn't be too comfortable doing it. It's a shame they don't have a gifting option like the Wii, as I'd like to get rid of the points no matter what I do.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I've thought of that, but I wouldn't be too comfortable doing it. It's a shame they don't have a gifting option like the Wii, as I'd like to get rid of the points no matter what I do.[/QUOTE]
I actually mailed them a suggestion for that feature to Major Nelson long before the Wii ever came out with its "gifting" feature. It seemed quite obvious to me, since the 360 already has the "recommend this game to a friend" feature, why the hell not "buy this game for a friend"?

[quote name='kevlar51']Nice! Just got refunded my 800 points. One of my favorite XBLA games just became free for me too![/quote]

Did you have to call them again or was that from the first call a few days ago?

[quote name='SpazX']Did you have to call them again or was that from the first call a few days ago?[/quote]

No, I called them again. The process was amazingly quick and painless, but the rep did have to talk to a supervisor to figure out what to do.

[quote name='pittpizza']What did you get refunded 800 pts for? Did you buy undertow like the day before it became free or something?[/quote]
I bought it the day it came out. When people asked on Major Nelson and Gamerscoreblog what people should do if they already bought it, both outlets said "call support and they will take care of you."

So I did. I don't feel like getting into an argument over whether or not this is compensation for Live downtime. ;)

[quote name='Apossum']so is this the game of the week then?[/QUOTE]
This is Microsoft we're talking about here.

I think that sufficiently answers your question.

Even for free, this game isn't worth it for me. If I download it, then I'll want to get the achievements...I think I'll just stay away.

[quote name='doc_zaius']Even for free, this game isn't worth it for me. If I download it, then I'll want to get the achievements...I think I'll just stay away.[/quote]

What, don't have the time for a 10,000 kill achievement?

[quote name='Microsoft']call support and they will take care of you.[/QUOTE]lol... wouldn't it be much less cryptic to just come out and say that they're refunding the points?

[quote name='BustaUppa']lol... wouldn't it be much less cryptic to just come out and say that they're refunding the points?[/quote]

When they said it, they might not have known what it meant. Or, more likely, they were just trying to avoid the people who would have rather had the points instead of the game in the first place.

[quote name='kevlar51']When they said it, they might not have known what it meant. Or, more likely, they were just trying to avoid the people who would have rather had the points instead of the game in the first place.[/QUOTE]lol, true. But when I hear "call support and they will take care of you" I just can't help but think of some Mafia shenanigans. :p

Got it this morning after a few tries (kept getting XBL errors, surprise). It's not bad, not great, but not bad. I have no clue what the hell is going on with those classes things, I was hoping the tutorial would exlpain, but no dice.

I agree with most of the other people. I downloaded it and it kinda sucks but it was free. Oh well.. better than nothing. Maybe if i get really bored one day I'll give it another chance.

[quote name='lordwow']Got it this morning after a few tries (kept getting XBL errors, surprise). It's not bad, not great, but not bad. I have no clue what the hell is going on with those classes things, I was hoping the tutorial would exlpain, but no dice.[/quote]

There's really no difference between the races, just appearance. But with classes, they break down as such:

Diver (up)(can't remember exact name): Light armor, quick, moderate range weapon w/ quick rate of fire

Dragoon (right): Heavy armor; short, but quick rate of fire; slow

Corsair (down)(small vehicle): Light armor; fast, quick rate of fire (expolsive missiles)

Destroyer (left)(large vehicle): Heaviest armor; slow, slow, but highly explosive rate of fire.

The directions indicate which button on the Dpad you hit to switch to that class. You can only switch classes when you're at a controlled base.

So is it co-op?

If so, and you feel like playing the first XBL arcade game I've ever downloaded with me when I get home from work around 5pm, freind request me.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Anyone have any luck calling 18004MYXBOX to get a different game or 800pts code by saying you already own it when you actually dont?[/quote]

They check your download history, so I doubt you'd have much luck.

[quote name='kevlar51']They check your download history, so I doubt you'd have much luck.[/quote]

Sucks then...Not doubting the game isn't good, but I don't see myself playing this much.

I'm amazed at all the people saying it sucks. I loved the demo and have been looking forward to this being free.

Can't wait to gt home and try it out myself.

Oh, and if you are having trouble seeing your character, there is a zoom feature in options, which can help a great deal on SDTV.

[quote name='yukine']I'm really surprised as well, in my opinion the multiplayer in this is better than Halo.[/QUOTE]

Most people saying it sucks didn't/won't/can't try the multiplayer. Sadly.

It's kind of like playing Team Fortress offline and saying it sucks.

Here are some tips for Undertow:

Top 10 Undertow Tips
by Matt Gibbs

For those of you who've been playing Undertow on Xbox Live Arcade, the development team at Chair Entertainment Group has sent us their top 10 tips on how you can dominate multiplayer matches and master the game.

Upon first trial, gamers will quickly discover the key is to boost! around the levels and rapid fire unlimited ammo, but here are some additional tips from the experts:

1. If you are playing with a buddy online, try to coordinate what units you are. One killer combo is the Destroyer and the Dragoon. The Dragoon can hide inside the Destroyer, protecting it from nearby enemies and shooting down enemy torpedoes, allowing the Destroyer time to bombard the enemy with its huge explosions.
2. Low on health? Take cover and wait for your health to regenerate.
3. When trying to take an occupied enemy Control Point, swoop in with a fast unit type like the Corsair or the Marine and drop all your depth charges on the enemy. When they die you will have enough time to neutralize the Control Point so the enemy can't spawn there anymore, allowing you to quickly take it.
4. The Corsair, while not as strong as the Dragoon or the Destroyer, has an incredible rate of fire at a long (and relatively safe) distance. Try to find pinched-off areas where the enemy will bottleneck their forces, keep a steady rate of fire on that section, and watch the kills roll in. Even hitting the wall next to an enemy can be effective – Corsairs and Destroyers do a lot of splash damage!
5. Remember that Undertow doesn't happen in space -- gravity is still a factor. There are serious advantages to having the high-ground in a face off.
6. You can't shoot while using Turbo (X button), but you can use depth charges. Zipping by a pack of enemies for a bombing run is a good way to get some kills. You can hold up to five depth charges!
7. Control Points don't have to be yours to get a shutout. Sometimes taking a Control Point to neutral can be advantageous if one is simply trying to deny opponents from spawning. Taking all the Control Points to neutral, and then killing all your enemies (before they can get another Control Point of course), is a quick way to win a match.
8. Use cover. There are areas the two smaller units (Marine and Dragoon) can hide from view. This is a great way to take enemies off guard. Hide in tall grass, behind pillars, buildings, or in clumps of rock and debris.
9. The five circles at the top represent the Control Points, and they're laid out from left to right according to where they are located in the map. You can see their timers counting down when you're taking a Control Point. The more team members you have taking a Control Point, the faster you'll take it!
10. Upgrades are immediate - making you faster and more powerful! It also fills your health bar. Remember that during battle! If it's late in a match and you're getting owned, remember to check your points. If you have points – use them! Press the Y-Button to enter the upgrade menu, select the unit you want, and then press the A-Button to upgrade.

BONUS - Communicate! When playing multiplayer, put on your headset and talk to your teammates. The best way to decimate your opponents is to communicate your strategies!

If my 360 doesn't make it back from M$ before the 27th and they don't help me out because of that after the fact, there will be hell to pay. I had my first replacement for about a week, and all of that week was XBL-less thanks to the issue they're giving the game out for.

[quote name='Chuplayer']If my 360 doesn't make it back from M$ before the 27th and they don't help me out because of that after the fact, there will be hell to pay. I had my first replacement for about a week, and all of that week was XBL-less thanks to the issue they're giving the game out for.[/quote]

I'm just wondering what you mean when you say there will be "hell to pay". Really, what exactly are you planning on doing? :lol:

[quote name='Chuplayer']If my 360 doesn't make it back from M$ before the 27th and they don't help me out because of that after the fact, there will be hell to pay. I had my first replacement for about a week, and all of that week was XBL-less thanks to the issue they're giving the game out for.[/quote]

If you call them and explain the situation, I imagine you could get them to credit you 800 MS points. That's the way I would play it.

I have not tried the multi player but I have to say I'm really not into the single player. Not saying it sucks just not really into it. If the multi player is good then I might keep playing it for that but if not then I will just keep it to play every now and then. Just not something I would have bought and would have deleted the demo after the first time through.

Good luck. I'm still waiting on reimbursement for the 6 months of Live I was screwed out of because of their incompetence. I sent my 360 in for repair and in two weeks a received a broken unit. I sent it back and 2 months later I finally get a working 360. 2 paid Gold accounts x 3 months = 6 months. They didn't even give us the standard 1 month Gold card.

This happened around July of last year.

Heres another tip, dont try and beat the game on Ultra by yourself. It wont happen.

I was in a group of 4 and we blazed through everything but the very last level. You only get 50 lives between you, so use them wisely. The difference between the casual AI and Ultra AI is insane.

Even though I've been crashing at my ex's apartment for the past week and a half or so, and can't even get a picture on his tv from my 360 (using a universal component cable to an RF modulator; yes, I'm using the yellow video end, the 360 doesn't do shit, yet the PS2 end works without a problem). Not even two universal RF Adaptors from GameCrazy gave a clear picture.

Anyhow, seeing as I can't really do anything with my 360 now, I don't give a shit. Its a game that I never had any intention of buying in the first place. Free may be free, but whats the point when its just shit thats been shoveled down your throat?

[quote name='Rozz']I can't even get Live to connect to Marketplace right now. :roll:[/QUOTE]
I can't even get connected to Live at the moment. I was wondering if the whole thing was down because of this free download.

EDIT: Oops, never mind. It finally connected. Downloading Undertow now.

How do you download it? Sorry i know its a noob question but I've never downloaded anything besides updates and they automatically prompt.

Under marketplace right? What from there?

[quote name='Rozz']I'm just wondering what you mean when you say there will be "hell to pay". Really, what exactly are you planning on doing? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Instead of a broken 360 in a coffin, some fool in Texas is going to open up a coffin to a steaming log of shit.

Heh, went through campaign with a friend in co-op. The "story" was so incredibly horrible and the voice acting sounded like they purposely used bad acting. However, at the very end, after the credits... I was just cracking up. If anyone manages to make it that far, stay until after the credits and it's about the only redeeming factor the campaign has. :p

Oh and there seems to be some kind of glitch with co-op. While I did get something like 526 kills recorded, my co-op partner only got 26 even though he went through the entire thing with me and got the Swim Pals and Dive Master achievement.

I wouldn't mind the game so much for multiplayer if the sprites weren't so god damned tiny. Half the time I can't see smaller enemies before I'm being shot at.

I had high hopes for this game and was incredibly let down. This is equally as bad as the last crappy free game download.

[quote name='Draekon']Heh, went through campaign with a friend in co-op. The "story" was so incredibly horrible and the voice acting sounded like they purposely used bad acting. However, at the very end, after the credits... I was just cracking up. If anyone manages to make it that far, stay until after the credits and it's about the only redeeming factor the campaign has. :p

Oh and there seems to be some kind of glitch with co-op. While I did get something like 526 kills recorded, my co-op partner only got 26 even though he went through the entire thing with me and got the Swim Pals and Dive Master achievement.

I wouldn't mind the game so much for multiplayer if the sprites weren't so god damned tiny. Half the time I can't see smaller enemies before I'm being shot at.[/quote]

I think during co-op only the hosts kills are counted.

I don't mind the game too much actually-- kind of neat. Its free of course, so its not too bad. I wish they'd actually get live working well again though, the download for this which was sub 100 Megs, took over 2 hours! I'm dreading the DMC4 demo dropping.

[quote name='KwanzaaTimmy']I don't mind the game too much actually-- kind of neat. Its free of course, so its not too bad. I wish they'd actually get live working well again though, the download for this which was sub 100 Megs, took over 2 hours! I'm dreading the DMC4 demo dropping.[/quote]

Took me no more than 5 minutes.

And its alright...So So

bread's done
Back