Xbox Live DotW A Kingdom for Keflings 400 points 1/4-1/10

it has it charming moments (mainly having your avatar as the main character) but it seems they made it the DotW just so that the recently released DLC would make more sales. I tried the demo, reminds me of warcraft 2 but only gathering...also the gameplay is extended because you can't point and click with a 360 controller. meh, like playing Dragon Age without a mouse and keyboard.

Little reason not to get the DLC if you get it at this price (400 ms), but for the whole package for roughly $10? I think there's plenty of PC games to get for the same price with more replay value or a physical copy of a game with the same replay value that you can trade in later or just let your friend's borrow.

If you need relaxing stress free gameplay, there's always Tinker.

The Maw was a better investment.

The demo gave me the same weird feelings as a renaissance faire. I didn't mind it, but I think I rather invest the 400 points in the Trials DLC.

I have paid less than a dollar per hour of playtime so far, and just started doing multiplayer. Can't say there is a much better value out there.

I was up all night playing this game, I just downloaded it yesterday, and can't wait to get home from work to play some more. Definately worth the five bucks.

Well, I just had to buy this as well. I decided to give it a spin last night. 5 hours later I finally had to stop playing and go to bed ;).

I could see some people absolutely hating this, but obviously I got hooked.

What does the DLC give you exactly? And WTF do you do in multiplayer? I can't even see how it would work in multiplayer since it really isn't competetive. Do you just help with the town ala Viva Pinata TiP?

I have yet to touch the other sale games I got over the winter break: Castle Crashers and Monkey Island. Even though I have scads of cheap MS points I'm still being a cheapass and from now on I'm only buying these things when they are on sale. I made the mistake of buying The Maw, for example, when it first came out and could have easily waited for the sale price. I have so many games I've barely touched that it makes no sense to get anything when it first comes out since it will most likely be cheaper later anyway. Then I'll just play it whenever... At least for multiplayer stuff the sales result in a surge of new players so you can presumably find people to play with even if it is way after the game originally came out.

[quote name='io']Well, I just had to buy this as well. I decided to give it a spin last night. 5 hours later I finally had to stop playing and go to bed ;).

I could see some people absolutely hating this, but obviously I got hooked.

What does the DLC give you exactly? And WTF do you do in multiplayer? I can't even see how it would work in multiplayer since it really isn't competetive. Do you just help with the town ala Viva Pinata TiP?

I have yet to touch the other sale games I got over the winter break: Castle Crashers and Monkey Island. Even though I have scads of cheap MS points I'm still being a cheapass and from now on I'm only buying these things when they are on sale. I made the mistake of buying The Maw, for example, when it first came out and could have easily waited for the sale price. I have so many games I've barely touched that it makes no sense to get anything when it first comes out since it will most likely be cheaper later anyway. Then I'll just play it whenever... At least for multiplayer stuff the sales result in a surge of new players so you can presumably find people to play with even if it is way after the game originally came out.[/QUOTE]

From what I have dabbled in, multiplayer is just you playing the main game, but other people can join in and help. If ten people come in and each build a personal tower you get an achievement. You can save your progress so you don't need ten people all in one playthrough.

[quote name='Nintendokid54']Any one have the DLC for this? how is it?[/QUOTE]

I bought it just new maps no new achievements or anything.

I didn't really like online when it was with strangers but if you can get some friends to get it then its pretty fun. Mainly just talked and built a wall in the shape of a giant penis. I think I put 20 hours into it the first two days I owned it. I bought it at 10 pm to pass an hour or two and next thing I knew it was daylight.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude'] Mainly just talked and built a wall in the shape of a giant penis. [/QUOTE]

This totally made me purchase it right now.

It was a good purchase. I convinced my Live crew to grab it, 400 pts is the sweet spot for impulse buys.

The plan was to try this game, then jump into left For Dead 2. 5 hours later it was bedtime.

This is some serious zen shit. One dude just directed resources, while two of us built things. I have no idea why it is a good time, but it's strangely relaxing. If you have an Xbox live crew, make sure they all get this game.

-ptp

A Note: Multiplayer and Single Player are separated. Virtually no Achievements for Multiplayer. Don't buy it for the Achievements.

[quote name='gaypunk']
A Note: Multiplayer and Single Player are separated. Virtually no Achievements for Multiplayer. Don't buy it for the Achievements.[/QUOTE]

Well, except that you can get 180 in a fairly short time from the single player (as I already have in 2 days of playing). So I'd actually argue that if you want cheap cheese this game will give it to you. I'm just annoyed those last 20 points have to come from MP. I tried to join a MP game last night but it kept on having connection issues. Oh well, no biggie - I don't feel the need to get all the points on arcade games, though it is nice to do so occasionally since most of them have a nearly impossible one or one that takes an inordinate amount of time.

[quote name='Don G.']What are the chances of Trials HD DOTW? I really wanna get that game but I'm holding out hope that the price drops.[/QUOTE]

I'd say it will eventually. Most blockbuster titles (Braid, Castle Crashers, Geometry Wars to name a few) have made it to the DOTW at some point. It's still brand new, have patience young grasshopper... or buy it now!

Hahah. Nah. I'm gonna wait cause I already have a huge backlog and really took advantage of all the recent deals during the holidays that live had. If I finish some of the games and it's still not on sale then I'll jump on it for sure.

I went ahead and scooped this up. I'd like to see a deal on Defense Grid sometime down the road. I'd love to pick that game up for 400 points.

[quote name='Armstrong x360a']I'd say it will eventually. Most blockbuster titles (Braid, Castle Crashers, Geometry Wars to name a few) have made it to the DOTW at some point. It's still brand new, have patience young grasshopper... or buy it now![/QUOTE]

After buying highly-rated arcade titles at launch up till this Fall, I've decided to go this route from now on. None of them are that compelling to me that I can't wait. It's not like I don't have other stuff to play ;). That way, when a DotW comes along like this one, I can buy it and play it then as sort of a mystery game. I'm probably more interested in actually trying it out if I get it in this fashion then if I just buy it based on hype/reviews (as the heaps of sealed games I got upon release can attest to).

[quote name='Armstrong x360a']I'd say it will eventually. Most blockbuster titles (Braid, Castle Crashers, Geometry Wars to name a few) have made it to the DOTW at some point. It's still brand new, have patience young grasshopper... or buy it now![/QUOTE]

My father, who traditionally only plays Halo games, suddenly said to me today, "You know what's a good 360 game? Trials."

This so needs to be on sale for me.

I can appreciate the desire to wait for a drop on Trials HD, but Trials HD is my game of the year. I have logged way more hours into Trials HD then anything else on any platform. It's a superb game. Mind you, not everyone is as gaga about it, but I'm certainly not alone.

As for keflings, I tried the demo last night and did like it, so I think I'll pick it up, but I haven't quite actually done that yet. Needless to say, with lots of CAGs getting this game, CAG multiplayer should be arranged. Curiously enough, one thing I'm not crazy with about this game is the inclusion of your Avatar as the giant. I think I prefer somewhat abstract Mii's to the more realistic looking Avatars. However, I take it that I could choose something other then my Avatar if I start over (or maybe it can be changed mid-game?) Or perhaps I should set aside some time and work on my Avatar to make it something I like more....

i couldn't resist. after seeing all the posts about this game being relaxing and about just building things with friends, i had to grab this. i can't remember who said 400 MS points seems to be the sweet spot for impulse purchases on the arcade, but that's the truth. there's no way in hell i buy this for $10, but for $5 it seems justifiable.

[quote name='crunchewy']
Curiously enough, one thing I'm not crazy with about this game is the inclusion of your Avatar as the giant. I think I prefer somewhat abstract Mii's to the more realistic looking Avatars. However, I take it that I could choose something other then my Avatar if I start over (or maybe it can be changed mid-game?) Or perhaps I should set aside some time and work on my Avatar to make it something I like more....[/QUOTE]

half the appeal is being able to use your avatar in the game, something about Stormtroopers building with that Country western BBQ music is appealing...might be audio and visual crack, who knows. It's a great marketing tool for you to spend even 80 ms pts on your avatar just to make this game more visually satisfying to yourself.

i feel it should be noted that i bought this game at 11 this morning and have not stopped playing it since then. i absolutely understand what everyone has been saying about this game.

Anyone know if someone has posted what the deal of the week is going to be throughout this month? Major Nelson I think did it for December.

I decided to bite, but not going to start playing until after I finish BF 1943, possibly going to try and finish The Maw first too.

Well I bought it Monday and have played about 9 hrs so far, so worth it. Better than Sim City. Plus my 6yr old loves it too with a little help of course. The whole Avatar as a giant was a brillant idea!

BTW also looking forward to future salez. Bout time MS!

[quote name='DarkZion']I like the idea of a CAG multiplayer. Especially since it could help those who want to get the banner tower achievements.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i finally bite on the deal since trying it out on Monday... I think one achievement is a multiplayer one... I agree on a CAG multiplayer idea

^^^ There are two multiplayer achievements. One is for getting 10 player banners in your town. The other is for visiting other towns with 20 unique banners (I think that last one is cumulative though). I tried out the multiplayer the other day and I couldn't connect to any quick match games at all. I kept getting bounced because there weren't any slots.

[quote name='Jay']How is the replay value, someone mention is was short?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='saosin42']The replay value is pretty low. I don't see myself firing it up after I'm finished.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd say it's pretty low. After I got the last single-player achievement I played for another 30 minutes or so just to rearrange my town a bit and add some of the more advanced structures. Instead of the stupid multiplayer achievements I wish there had been one for making every building or something. That would have been more interesting to me and would have given it more play-time.

[quote name='DarkZion']I like the idea of a CAG multiplayer. Especially since it could help those who want to get the banner tower achievements.[/QUOTE]

Well, if anyone arranges this let me know as I'd be up for that given that I'm pretty much done with it otherwise.

I kind of like that I could complete the game in just 2 days though. I've been spending so much time on these super-long games (I'm 125 hours into Demon's Souls for example) that it was nice to take a break and knock one out so quickly.

Yeah, this is a really fun, little title, even though once you beat it, you'll probably never play it again. I still need the one MP achievement for getting 10 banners in your town, so if any CAGs wanna trade, let me know.

Having a little spare time last night, I booted this game up and played for about half an hour. After such a stressful week, this game was exactly what the doctor ordered. Best 400 points I've spent.

[quote name='io']^^^ There are two multiplayer achievements. One is for getting 10 player banners in your town. The other is for visiting other towns with 20 unique banners (I think that last one is cumulative though). I tried out the multiplayer the other day and I couldn't connect to any quick match games at all. I kept getting bounced because there weren't any slots.

Well, if anyone arranges this let me know as I'd be up for that given that I'm pretty much done with it otherwise.

I kind of like that I could complete the game in just 2 days though. I've been spending so much time on these super-long games (I'm 125 hours into Demon's Souls for example) that it was nice to take a break and knock one out so quickly.[/QUOTE]

I was able to connect to someone with 20 banners yesterday and I got the achievement immediately.

Bump for those who may have missed this. last chance to get it, new deal goes up around 6am est.

Anyone have a list for this month's deals?

Hoping next weeks deal is another Arcade game, i love building my collection up, still have 2600 MSP left from the Target's coupons.

This was a great game too, was playing it for 3+ hours straight last night, its so fun and addicting. Though, it would be cooler if it had some sort of conflict in it.

Glad I purchased this, though I haven't played it a lot myself. My kids, however, have been all over it. The problem is that, seeing them playing it, I feel like I don't need to. The game is essentially the same for everyone. I'll get to it eventually, but for now I'm happy to just let them play it.

Has Pac-Man Championship Edition ever been a deal of the week? I'd like to pick that up, but already having it on the iPhone I'm hesitant to pay full price for it.

[quote name='crunchewy']
Has Pac-Man Championship Edition ever been a deal of the week? I'd like to pick that up, but already having it on the iPhone I'm hesitant to pay full price for it.[/QUOTE]

Not that I know of, but it's part of at least two complilations; the Namco Museum Virtual Arcade and the Xbox Live Arcade compilation disk (pack-in with the arcade console over a year ago). You can pick up either for under $10 these days. While inconvenient to play off the disk, a great deal given the other games you get at the same price.

I played the demo, and while it was rather fun, it just didn't seem to go anywhere, and it looks like the game doesn't really go anywhere from there, either. Still, better than some obscure DLC pack or a crappy arcade game.

Major Nelson posted to twitter a bit ago, and the deal of the week for this week is Magic: the Gathering. Another one that I'll pass on, but not a bad deal

bread's done
Back