Xbox Live Games on Demand (w/Option to use CC) +Avatar news and marketplace ratings

Nelo Ice

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363621
http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/01/xbox-360-getting-full-retail-games-delivered-on-demand/
Confirmed by Garnett on his Twitter :

Games on Demand service coming to Live in August with 30 titles
Win avatar items as rewards in games coming soon
Also a marketplace to buy stuff for your avatar on the way
Don't get your hopes up, MS tells us that the point system isn't going anywhere, it's just being supplemented with credit card purchases. Also, game rentals aren't happening yet, but they said it "sounds great for the future."
sce3c5.jpg

msft-e3-2009-keynote0476-rm-eng.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent, as long as the deals keep coming.

or

you can do the half price trick for marketplace content and get games for half off!

[quote name='NTolerance']lol @ retail pricing and $120 HDD.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...shouldn't it be cheaper since there's no materials: Case, disc, instruction manual, retail shelf space...etc. :/ ?

Wow if they want this to work they need cheaper hard drives. I know it won't take long for me to fill what is left of my 120gb HDD.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Damn it...Digital media will take over physical media soon :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

I agree with your frowny face. I want to own the games I buy, not own a license to play them. Not much we can do to stop it now though, I suppose.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yeah...shouldn't it be cheaper since there's no materials: Case, disc, instruction manual, retail shelf space...etc. :/ ?[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. The only positive I see here is potential in the future for rentals.

Unless Microsoft plans to showcase a 250GB HDD, then direct download will not be taking over anytime soon. Plus retailers would be pissed.

Downloadable games for $20 or less doesn't bother me though. I can get Mass Effect for $15, but for $20 and the ability to launch it on demand...I could go for that. But in reality it would work better with pick up and play titles not RPGs.

Stupid lack of consistency with the regular old USD $19.99 price for Mass Effect. We've spent years figuring out the XBL exchange rate and now they muddy the waters with this.

I agree with ZForce. Since I have the extra space and I can launch a game from my dashboard, I'll spend the extra couple of bucks on the download version. They should put sports titles on here, because I know sometimes I have a craving for a football or basketball game that I don't own, and I would probably buy it for $40 or so.

I personally love the idea. I bought Burnout Paradise like this on PSN and have no complaints, except for that it's PSN and not XBL.

Very good news everyone!

xboxlivemoney.jpg

Meeting with Microsoft's Scott Austin to talk about Xbox Live, there was little expectation of sexy reveals or big news, and what we saw during the briefing wasn't flashy in any way. But there was still some really good news for Xbox 360 owners: Microsoft is getting set to update Xbox Live in a number of ways to make it easier to find and buy content. The big news is that games will be priced in your local currency, and you'll be able to buy with a credit card, bypassing the point system altogether.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ves-no-more-microsoft-points-user-ratings.ars

I never understand why you would wanna get rid of MS point system. You can get some GREAT deals on MS points and save a lot of money. I don't think I have ever paid more than $15 max for $20 worth of MS points. Usually less than that. Why would you want to go to a system that makes it harder to get deals?

[quote name='Matt Young']They should have just gone the Nintendo route to begin with. 100 points = $1. So simple.[/QUOTE]

Or we could go with the PSN way. Buy the game straight up with a credit card and don't worry about buying points in the first place. If you feel so inclined to have points, go out and buy a PSN card.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']Or we could go with the PSN way. Buy the game straight up with a credit card and don't worry about buying points in the first place. If you feel so inclined to have points, go out and buy a PSN card.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but there are never any deals on any PSN cards

Exactly. I'll stick with points, thanks. You can get 4000 points cards as low as 30 bucks right now. Why someone would spend real dollars when they can get several bucks off a pricier piece of DLC by spending cyberbucks I do not know. I guess if you just wanted a single $5 or $10 game it makes sense, but how many people do you know that buy one piece of DLC only?

they are planning to let you rent the games right?

Purchasing downloaded games isn't for me. I wouldn't be able to sell/trade/lend purchases and that sucks, especially if they are full prices.

[quote name='decrot']they are planning to let you rent the games right?

Purchasing downloaded games isn't for me. I wouldn't be able to sell/trade/lend purchases and that sucks, especially if they are full prices.[/QUOTE]

I think they said something to the effect that it was a good idea but you won't be able to rent out of the gate.

Not being able to resale a game is a huge factor, but on these $20 or lower games it is really much different than say...Braid? You paid $15 for that and loved it.

I personally will probably only do this for a couple of games and it will be based on if I think I'd like to be able to pick up and play that game. Also I need to be able to use my MS points to buy it, it can't be credit card only.

[quote name='ZForce915']I think they said something to the effect that it was a good idea but you won't be able to rent out of the gate.

Not being able to resale a game is a huge factor, but on these $20 or lower games it is really much different than say...Braid? You paid $15 for that and loved it.

I personally will probably only do this for a couple of games and it will be based on if I think I'd like to be able to pick up and play that game. Also I need to be able to use my MS points to buy it, it can't be credit card only.[/QUOTE]
20 dollar games is fine, but I wasnt sure about full new release games (not sure if they plan on doing newer releases). I hope they don't try to do this on the next gen, as we see psp go digital only.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/6...-Purchases-In-Money-Not-Microsoft-Points.html

Microsoft will soon allow purchases in cash. Points will still be usable.

"The actual currency purchases will launch with Microsoft's new Games on Demand service announced at the company's E3 press conference. The service allows the purchase of full-size, AAA games through download."

Money purchases are not just for full game downloads, it is for everything on the Xbox Live Marketplace. It will be rolling out the same time that their new service of full-size game downloads, which is similar to what the PlayStation Network has going on with games such as Warhawk & Burnout Paradise

Source: G4TV

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that not only for the game on demand thing?

From what I understood it was cash for game on demand and point for everything else.

[quote name='Khalid']Is that not only for the game on demand thing?

From what I understood it was cash for game on demand and point for everything else.[/QUOTE]Sorry about that, I made it unclear. You can buy anything on the Xbox Live Marketplace with money. It's just going to roll out the same time their new service of full game downloading is.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Any chance they'll finally allow PayPal?[/QUOTE]
lol, I would love to see that happen.

Wow Retail price (and tax) for old games that most people already have. At least I won't have to use points anymore and have the weird left over points that are not use-able, (64 points).

Not much of an improvement if their credit card filing policy still exists and they don't allow alternative payment options like paypal.

[quote name='MasterWolf']lol, I would love to see that happen.

Wow Retail price (and tax) for old games that most people already have. At least I won't have to use points anymore and have the weird left over points that are not use-able, (64 points).[/QUOTE]

It says "$19.99 including tax", not "plus tax". I'm pretty sure that means the tax is included in the $19.99 price, and that $19.99 is the final amount that you would be charged for that particular item.

Sorry, misread it.

On the paypal note, I doubt they would allow paypal because of the fees, they would probably have to negotiate some sort of deal first. I hope they do though.

The only thing I hate about this is that they don't charge even amounts like PSN because you will have change left over.

For example, you buy something for $9.99 and pay 10 bucks you still have the penny left on your account.

It's like it will be better, but instead it will clear up how much of a FAIL it is because you'll actually know how bad you're getting ripped off.

[quote name='VipFREAK']It's like it will be better, but instead it will clear up how much of a FAIL it is because you'll actually know how bad you're getting ripped off.[/QUOTE]

What?!?

[quote name='MrGone']Not much of an improvement if their credit card filing policy still exists and they don't allow alternative payment options like paypal.[/QUOTE]

Paypal, in this day and age, paypal is not needed!!!

Unlike many, I've never had any issues with the current system. Thanks to CAG, I don't think I ever paid full price for points, meaning I've never paid retail for any content on XBL.

Points cards go on sale more often than money does. With the way the economy is headed and the gov't keeps printing money i'd rather keep investing in the cheaper, and less devaluing, points cards.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/6...witterblog_thefeed&intcid=twitterblog_thefeed

Patrick Klepek clears up the confusion that it's just for the digital games when it launches. May happen some time later, but not right away.

"We're happy to offer our community the convenience of using either Microsoft Points, direct debit or credit card when purchasing full Xbox 360 titles through Games on Demand," said a Microsoft spokesperson in an e-mailed statement to me. "Other content on Xbox LIVE Marketplace, such as Game Add-ons, movies and music videos, will continue to be sold with Microsoft Points and we have no further announcements at this time."

[quote name='Magehart']Points cards go on sale more often than money does. With the way the economy is headed and the gov't keeps printing money i'd rather keep investing in the cheaper, and less devaluing, points cards.[/QUOTE]

You're talking about two completely separate things. The point cards are still pegged to U.S. currency, thus they would not "devalue less" than the USD.

Well, we are given a mixture of digital downloads and normal retail games. Vote with our dollars. It is possible if everyone realizes DD is bullshit, it can tank and they're forced to continue with physical media. Everyone in the world wouldn't have the same thoughts as us, so that won't happen. But it's nice to think of.

bread's done
Back