Xbox Live Gold Price Increase 11/1 - Subscription Deals Inside

[quote name='TurboPascal'] I remember getting XBL Gold for 1yr with my Xbox and finding deals for $29.99, those deals will still be around. eal.[/QUOTE]

But of course the deal prices will likely be $10 higher now as well. Pretty easy to find $30-35 deals now, which is a $15-20 off MSRP. Likely the deal discounts will remain $15-20 off MSRP, so deal prices will be $40-45 now. So even CAGs who shop around still get hit with the increase.

It's only $10, which is pocket change for me pretty much. But it's still annoying when I'm already paying for features free only other consoles (netflix, online gaming etc.).

[quote name='SynGamer']You still need to pay $10 for Hulu Plus last I checked...and Netflix is a Gold member only feature, something I can get for free via my PC, PS3, and Wii. Then there's the fact that XBL is littered with hackers and cheaters...it just doesn't make sense to pay for that.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. But with that argument it didn't make any sense for you to pay for it at $50 either.

I don't like paying for it, but I do game a bit online, and I love the Netflix streaming. I don't have a Wii or PS3, and my TV has no computer inputs so I can't hook my laptop up to it, so 360 is the easiest way for me to get Netflix streaming on my TV as everything else requires buying new hardware.

So I live with paying $30-35 for it. I'll take $40 or so as well I guess, but certainly don't like the increase.

I don't know those Console updates, title updates, and the general speed of downloading things of XBL is pretty fast. PSN is slow as balls.

I dont know about your claim about sony not being able to run the servers for free forever...They have been doing it now for well over 10 years with the original PSN on ps2.

I do however think xbox will lose some customers...but not enough that will effect them financially.

I would say mainly the customers that already have a PS3 and can just start purchasing ps3 cross platform games instead of 360.

just a guess...

Every time I have to resubscribe to Xbox Live I contemplate if it is really worth the price of admission. It's not, but I always seem to find a deal on a $30-35 card and buy it anyway. (Amazon, Newegg and Walmart have already jacked up the price of the cards to $40)

I think I'm done with Xbox Live. I don't think it was worth the $35 I paid for it this past year and I certainly don't think it's worth $60. fuck that. I can buy a couple new games for $60.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Every time I have to resubscribe to Xbox Live I contemplate if it is really worth the price of admission. It's not, but I always seem to find a deal on a $30-35 card and buy it anyway. (Amazon, Newegg and Walmart have already jacked up the price of the cards to $40)
[/QUOTE]

From what I"ve seen, at least with Amazon, the cards are normally always $39.9x. The $30-35 deals come and go.

Though I'm sure once the MSRP is up to $60 we'll see $49.9x be the normal price and $40-45 be the deals that come and go.

Anyone defending this should probably take a picture of the Microsoft logo with them to a proctologist, that way he knows what to look for down there.

I'm all for the fact that CAGs will always finds deals for XBL, but if anything the price should be going down at this point, not up.

[quote name='bigredvan14']But, they've already added so many features over the last few years! Like... like... 1 vs 100![/QUOTE]

Which, got canceled. Ironically, I'd say the same is about to happen to many of their subs.

So there won't be another Season of 1 Vs. 100? Very upset. :whistle2:(

They spent more time doing the BETA than the game was live.

Really hope PSN doesn't follow suit. Paying to play online is pretty unacceptable in the first place.

At least I'll always have Steam.

c/p from major nelson

Since launching Xbox LIVE in 2002 we have continually added more content and entertainment experiences for our members, while keeping the price the same. We're confident that when the new pricing takes effect, an Xbox LIVE Gold membership will continue to offer the best value in the industry.

However, we do want to thank our loyal members and give you the opportunity to lock in your current price with an additional discount, so now would be a good time to renew your subscription.

The prices change as follow:

1M Gold: $7.99 (now) - $9.99 (starting Nov 1, 2010)
3M Gold: $19.99 (now) - $24.99 (starting Nov 1, 2010)
12M Gold: $49.99 (now) - $59.99 (starting Nov 1, 2010)

[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg']This is only the beginning. Xbox live goes up and Netflix will be up next. Probably $15 per month for 1 dvd out at a time.[/QUOTE]

I think the next Netflix change will be charging for streaming and offering a streaming only plan--probably for around the same price as the 1 dvd out plan.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I think the next Netflix change will be charging for streaming and offering a streaming only plan--probably for around the same price as the 1 dvd out plan.[/QUOTE]
Well, they better add more of a selection for streaming only.

[quote name='thegreek']Well, they better add more of a selection for streaming only.[/QUOTE]

They just signed that one deal that gets them several studios movies a few months after hitting DVD/Blu Ray.

But yeah, they'd have to improve. I'd pay for it as is personally as my queue stays very full. But I also watch indie films, foreign films, documentaries, classics etc., where as the average member only cares about current movies and TV shows for the most part.

Yet another reason that I am glad that I waited for the PS3 to come out instead of caving for the 360.

If I am shelling out money for gaming...its gonna go towards GAMES, not the right to play the games online. PSN may not have all the "features" of Live, but I will gladly take a new game in lieu of those "features" every year.

That is what being a cheap ass gamer is about in the first place, right? Stretching to get maximum enjoyment out of each dollar?

You all pay that price increase, I will figure out what game I'm gonna buy with the money I didnt spend on Live.

ROFL, what a joke. Peer to peer online play should be free, but as long as there are enough mouth-breathing 12 year olds with mommy's credit cards to buy it, Microsoft will keep charging. Go PC!

[quote name='slickkill77']Wow. People are making a huge deal out of $10......When was the last time any of you paid $49.99 for a xbl subscription? Is another $10 really going to bankrupt anyone? If it is you shouldn't be playing games. I'm not defending MS but some of you should simmer down a bit. And ps3 fanboys go away. This doesn't need to be a flamewar thread.[/QUOTE]

I need that $10 more than MICROSOFT i can guarantee you that!!
I guess its mainly principle.
When your cable goes up you switch to dish vice/versa
When your xbox live goes up you switch to ?

[quote name='Jackie Chandler'] Live members aren't getting free games and videos or whatever with their subscriptions.[/QUOTE]

You must have missed out on the Avatar Soccer Shootout and New Years Fireworks and whatever other wonderful games they stick on the ass end of the dashboard from time to time.

Anyways, they just need to keep cranking out the XBLA sales like they were rolling before SoA got started and I'll soon forget this stupidity even happened.

Seriously, online gaming is not a right.

A right is something that people have fought and (possibly) died to preserve. Every dumbass on this thread who thinks online gaming is a right should go back to school.

There are alternatives for those who choose to cry about the price increase, but remember you get what you pay for with free.

Steam is awesome for PC games, that were purchased on Steam.

PS3 offers free gaming, but not the ability to chat across games (though the PS blogs posted they are working very hard on it, in June). It also doing not offer autopatching without paying for the feature in PS+.

Alternative Xbox live - not for the non-technical, but can be enjoyed. Just don't look for non-hacked games, because they do not exist.

[quote name='dmaul1114']They just signed that one deal that gets them several studios movies a few months after hitting DVD/Blu Ray.

But yeah, they'd have to improve. I'd pay for it as is personally as my queue stays very full. But I also watch indie films, foreign films, documentaries, classics etc., where as the average member only cares about current movies and TV shows for the most part.[/QUOTE]

I pretty much only watch foreign films, myself. So much better then Hollywood.

[quote name='nddave']I need that $10 more than MICROSOFT i can guarantee you that!!
I guess its mainly principle.
When your cable goes up you switch to dish vice/versa
When your xbox live goes up you switch to ?[/QUOTE]

That's right, price gouging!!!!

I have always been a firm believer in paying for my game at the store and being able to use all of the features out of the box without ANY additional fees(ala multiplayer via Live Gold).

That being said, it is also one of the ways manufacturers are able to create revenue for R&D and system maintenance. Look at MMORPG's for example $10-30 a month to play a game you purchased at the store? Not interested.

Would you rather have Live Gold be free and the games all go up to $70 msrp? Personally, I would rather have a version of every game cheaper at say $35 msrp with upgrade available to multiplayer online, but sadly, it's not my decision.

In comparison, when did the price of a movie ticket go up to $15!? WTF!?

Hey suckers, have fun paying $60 a year for live, $10 for madden, 10 for call of duty, and $10 for all of the other EA games.

How do we change the $10 trend? Stop paying for it.

When it comes to Xbox live, CAGs turn into DAGs (dumb ass gamers). For all those years of Microsoft support and the only reward you get is an extra 10 extra dollars pimped from your walled. Honestly, if you got your entire gaming collection with MS, then all your games (online games) will be useless if you don't pay for live. (because you can't use the game online, get updates..etc). I know the services has its advantages of PSN (not very many imo) but that's a business that I can't and won't support.

[quote name='VA']Hey suckers, have fun paying $60 a year for live, $10 for madden, 10 for call of duty, and $10 for all of the other EA games.

How do we change the $10 trend? Stop paying for it.[/QUOTE]

+1.

Microsoft understands one thing very, very well-- gamers are an impatient bunch who suck horribly at waiting for anything.

Had people been able to control themselves about NOT buying dumbass microtransaction-level DLC, we wouldn't get all these lovely crappy tiny DLCs.

Had people not rushed out to buy $60 games when they came out and told MS to go screw themselves with the pricing, that wouldn't have become the new standard price.

Had people not paid $50 for online gaming in the first place, we wouldn't be sitting around debating a move to $60.

I'm done with Xbox Live, mostly because I don't generally like the random people you find there to play online anyway, and I don't have enough friends online that I can game with at convenient times to make it worth it anyway. Paying $60 (or $60-sale prices) just isn't worth it when I can get my online gaming fix for free on the PS3. (granted, I am a pretty casual online gamer so it's not a huge loss to me, but this is totally where it crosses the line into a waste)

[quote name='NattySlide']Yet another reason that I am glad that I waited for the PS3 to come out instead of caving for the 360.

If I am shelling out money for gaming...its gonna go towards GAMES, not the right to play the games online. PSN may not have all the "features" of Live, but I will gladly take a new game in lieu of those "features" every year.

That is what being a cheap ass gamer is about in the first place, right? Stretching to get maximum enjoyment out of each dollar?

You all pay that price increase, I will figure out what game I'm gonna buy with the money I didnt spend on Live.[/QUOTE]

Well said, Well said! :applause:

Seriously, those that are defending thisin any way should go to richassgamer.com.

I'm so cheap I rent all of my games. For the price of one new game I pay for about 4 - 5 months of game rentals.

No more complaining, if you don't like it just don't renew. Let's just stick to posting deals for XBL. Keep the rest for the discussion forum.

BTW,
I don't agree with MS on increasing the price of XBL.

[quote name='jazzman']No more complaining, if you don't like it just don't renew. Let's just stick to posting deals for XBL. Keep the rest for the discussion forum.[/QUOTE]

Um...hate to break this to you but this IS a discussion forum, and the topic at hand is the XBL price increase. Welcome to the internet :)

[quote name='SynGamer']Um...hate to break this to you but this IS a discussion forum, and the topic at hand is the XBL price increase. Welcome to the internet :)[/QUOTE]

FYI, this is the Deals Forum.

[quote name='VA']Hey suckers, have fun paying $60 a year for live, $10 for madden, 10 for call of duty, and $10 for all of the other EA games.

How do we change the $10 trend? Stop paying for it.[/QUOTE]
You do understand that the $10 on those games is for those buying secondary USED copies, right?

I saw this price increase coming a mile away. Everything is increasing everywhere. MSRP of a video game is $59.99, hence why they upped it to that magic price point.

What I find funny is that Amazon is charging $39.95 to mail you a 12 month card vs $49.99 to email you a 12 month code. They really need to get that sorted out.

Just gonna get a discounted 12-month card or two before the prices go up. An extra $10 wouldn't be a huge deal to me anyway. Things increase in price all the time so I don't see why everyone is so up in arms about this.

I lol at some of the retarded asses that are bitching on this thread while they paid 50 bucks for that shitty playstation plus ripoff. That my friend is the true definition of hypocrisy.

[quote name='Spyder187']I lol at some of the retarded asses that are bitching on this thread while they paid 50 bucks for that shitty playstation plus ripoff. That my friend is the true definition of hypocrisy.[/QUOTE]

Based off your use of language to insult everyone with a different opinion other than yours clearly demonstrates that you're an Xbox 360 owner and fanboy.

Those my friends are the true definitions of stereotype and irony.

Does anyone know if ESPN will require a compatible ISP? If I'm not mistaken, ESPN3.com does. Which is essentially the same service.

I would much rather pay $60 a year for XBL than $60 a month for cable. As long as it offers Sunday Night Baseball and Monday Night Football. Also, MLB and NBA playoffs, with no local blackouts. Otherwise, I'm going to just not renew and stick to Steam.

UPDATE: Nevermind, found the answer and yes, you do have to have a compatible ISP, which I don't have. Done with XBL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, first XBL forces me to change my gamertag, now they're gonna try to bleed more outta my wallet! I got another 1.5yrs left on XBL but I won't be renewing.

I gotta convince my buddies to get PS3's! After this, it should be easier to convince them.

XBL, my signature pic is for you...

[quote name='SynGamer']FYI, any thread is a discussion.[/QUOTE]
Lol, nice. 500° article drawing the fanboy's ire on N4G; that's impressive.

I was about to ask why this was moved to the deals section, but then I remembered discounts on PAYING TO PLAY YOUR GAMES was considered as such. You know, I don't think anyone that's a Sony fanboy (i.e. me) is that way because we love Sony or think the games are superior. It's because we can't stand the $$$$$$ry M$ pulls. Even now they're trying to spin 'omg lock in your discounted price now lololololol' as a positive, when the whole point is scare tactics to generate more revenue.

[quote name='DaBoltz']Wow, first XBL forces me to change my gamertag, now they're gonna try to bleed more outta my wallet![/QUOTE]
Wait. Why were you forced to change your gamertag?

bread's done
Back