Xbox Live Gold Renewel - 40% off

adayinthelife

CAGiversary!
Sorry if this has been discussed already, feel free to point me in the right direction if it has.

I just turned on my Xbox and noticed an offer to renew Xbox Live Gold for $36. My current subscription doesn't end until June, I'm just wondering if I can take advantage of this now, so I'd get my next 12 months (starting June 2011) at this rate. The fine print mentions that the offer is not available for users currently on a promotional subscription, which mine is not, so I think it should work..

Just curious if anyone's done this yet?

I have not done this but I have added another year subscription when it was on sale before and they just added it on. No problem.

Well I gave it a shot and it seems to have worked. I suppose it doesn't charge your card until the actual renewal date, at which time it will be for the cheap rate. I logged into my account info which now says "Renews to: 12 Months of Gold for 40% off".

hmm...i thought the $43 through the Future Shop labour day sale was a good deal but now I'm going to return that and pick up this deal...or I should probably just pick this up and keep the FS 12 month card for the following year (if theres no expiry on it)

[quote name='kyle071785']hmm...i thought the $43 through the Future Shop labour day sale was a good deal but now I'm going to return that and pick up this deal...or I should probably just pick this up and keep the FS 12 month card for the following year (if theres no expiry on it)[/QUOTE]

You can just do both, it'll stack

[quote name='seed84']grabbed this, supposed to get a halo reach avatar item as well. Thanks op![/QUOTE]

i went through with it. Any idea how to get that avatar item though? I logged out then back in with my account and thought something would've popped up

I guess I'll have to check on this when I get back to my 360. My sub ends soon, and I need a good deal.

i'll just leave this quick note here as well

if anyone needs a 48 hour gold subscription code let me know. One was included in the Reach Legendary and I'd rather pass it out then just toss it

send me a PM :)

edit: code has been handed out

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kyle071785']i went through with it. Any idea how to get that avatar item though? I logged out then back in with my account and thought something would've popped up[/QUOTE]

no clue i haven't seen anything in my xbox.com forum searches either and it didn't pop when i updated halo waypoint so hopefully there will be an answer by tomorrow

Does anyone know when this promotion ends? I have a 48 hour trial codes that i wanted use before i renew my subscription.

[quote name='seed84']no clue i haven't seen anything in my xbox.com forum searches either and it didn't pop when i updated halo waypoint so hopefully there will be an answer by tomorrow[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was actually wondering the same thing. I just bought the deal about 20 minutes ago, and I'm very sad because I wanted my avatar item :cry: lol
But my membership doesn't need to be renewed until next month, so maybe it has to physically charge my card and start the year membership before you get it?
Idk ;)

Im still waiting for stride gum to send me that 1year xbl code I won.. I supposedly have to wait 6-8weeks from July 22 or something..
>.

[quote name='NeverFarAway09']Yeah, I was actually wondering the same thing. I just bought the deal about 20 minutes ago, and I'm very sad because I wanted my avatar item :cry: lol
But my membership doesn't need to be renewed until next month, so maybe it has to physically charge my card and start the year membership before you get it?
Idk ;)[/QUOTE]

sweet...so that means I'll get my avatar item in July of 2011 :cry:

Too bad I don't have a credit card. I probably would have bought this. They want real credit cards so they can charge you again in the future.

[quote name='lustyhitter']Too bad I don't have a credit card. I probably would have bought this. They want real credit cards so they can charge you again in the future.[/QUOTE]

That is why I was a little hesitant to put down my CC info; does anyone know when I need to cancel my membership for auto-renewal? Is it 30 days before XBL expires or can I do it whenever?

[quote name='game_fanatic']That is why I was a little hesitant to put down my CC info; does anyone know when I need to cancel my membership for auto-renewal? Is it 30 days before XBL expires or can I do it whenever?[/QUOTE]

I believe you can do it whenever; it shouldn't affect your current subscription status at all.

[quote name='Derfel']I believe you can do it whenever; it shouldn't affect your current subscription status at all.[/QUOTE]

Beauty, thanks for the quick response Derfel!

[quote name='Talus']Is this deal done? I can't find it on my dashboard ...[/QUOTE]

I haven't been on my Xbox today so I can't say for sure, but there was no cut off date mentioned to my knowledge at least...

I figured it out .. it's not on my dashboard due to a beta testing issue :)

I logged into my non-beta testing 360 and voila .. the deal was there.

[quote name='Talus']I figured it out .. it's not on my dashboard due to a beta testing issue :)

I logged into my non-beta testing 360 and voila .. the deal was there.[/QUOTE]

What are you supposed to do if your on a xbox thats on beta testing? and dont have access to another xbox, seems like im getting pretty screwed here

[quote name='Bewildered']What are you supposed to do if your on a xbox thats on beta testing? and dont have access to another xbox, seems like im getting pretty screwed here[/QUOTE]

I'd say find a friend who isn't in the beta and log in on his 360 and get the deal.

[quote name='Talus']I'd say find a friend who isn't in the beta and log in on his 360 and get the deal.[/QUOTE]
Dam are you saying i need to find a friend in order for a xbox deal..... lol

[quote name='PapaLau']Maybe call them... I know I'm going to call slightly upset, because I just renewed 2 weeks ago[/QUOTE]

Ouch--that's gotta sting.

Still, I can pretty much guarantee they won't do anything about it. It's not really a normal practice to give a customer cash back when they miss a sale. Plus, the objective of a sale is to get people to buy something they might not have otherwise. It sucks, but they really have no reason to please you since you've already given them your money.

You can stack subscriptions though; if you plan on still having Xbox Live over a year from now, you could always buy another at the reduced rate and it'll be just like you bought it cheap now and renewed at regular price later.

Thanks to the OP for this deal; just renewed in spite of the fact that my current sub doesn't run out until next May...

[quote name='Bewildered']What are you supposed to do if your on a xbox thats on beta testing? and dont have access to another xbox, seems like im getting pretty screwed here[/QUOTE]

Not sure if it's 100% a Beta Testing thing. The deal wasn't showing up on my dashboard either, and I'm not involved in any kind of Beta Testing right now. Ended up logging into XBL on the internets and entering a valid credit card number; when I logged back in on my 360, the 40% deal showed up in the Spotlight area.

huh, mine says 12 months for 49.99 (20% off gold + free Halo Reach Avatar Item). The 40% must just be for renewals. damn.

edit - unless it's only for renewals. If that's the case, perhaps I'll sign up for the 8.99 monthly, then renew for a year with the 40% off deal. If not then the 20% is still ok, I guess.

ok, apparently after taking a monthly, the ad for 20% off disappeared entirely :(

Do you have to be close to renewal to see it? I'm covered until the end of December, but I don't see it.

My spotlight section is also nothing but Halo Reach crap, which is kinda sad.

My sub ends in December and I saw it last week. I'm looking at the dashboard right now and I don't see it. Perhaps it's just random and Halo stuff is taking up more of the rotation space.

Found the 40% off option buried in the Welcome panels. You have to scroll right to the one that say "Free Live Gold Weekend" and click into it. From there you will find 3 more panels and one of them being the 40% off option.

The weird thing about it is the fact that on the welcome bar I was only seeing the 20% off option.

[quote name='Mr.']My sub ends in December and I saw it last week. I'm looking at the dashboard right now and I don't see it. Perhaps it's just random and Halo stuff is taking up more of the rotation space.[/QUOTE]

I refreshed like a DOZON times and still found nothing. Oh well.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']I refreshed like a DOZON times and still found nothing. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

My guess is that it was only on last week and ended on Saturday

I don't think it is valid anymore (fuck!). I went to account management > renewals and noticed that it is back to $59.99. I missed it by days :(

[quote name='arnoldrimmer']My guess is that it was only on last week and ended on Saturday[/QUOTE]

I saw it yesterday. I logged on for the first time in a week and it appeared. Maybe people who don't turn on their Xbox 360 often have higher chance of catching it.

It popped up for me today, and I'm looking right at a thing that says 40% off - Get 12 months of gold for $49.99!

Something's not adding up here.

it popped up again for me yesterday, except it says "Save 17% - 49.99." Microsoft has weird math.

Lawlflip - the code is emailed out in 4-6 weeks according to the promo screen.

I guess we missed the boat on this one and Microsoft realized that people want to continue to play Reach. :(

bumping up a old topic but thought I'd mention that i finally received my avatar helmet today in my email from this deal...

not bad...3 months down the line. Was someone at MS sleeping?

might want to check your inbox to see if you have yours as well

ALSO since I already sorta had the Noble 6 avatar helmet by going to FanExpo Canada (given out there at the Reach booth) I'm willing to give the code to someone who wants it. So if you want the avatar helmet just PM me and I'll send the code out when I get a second

edit: code handed out

I did something like this deal about 2 weeks ago from an ad on xbox live. Be aware (at least it worked like this for me) unlike most promo xblive gold things this one charges your credit card immediately NOT at the end of your current subscription term. However the subscription will renew as per usual at the end of your current subscription. Just be aware so you're not surprised to get a $40 bill on your visa

bread's done
Back