Xbox Live Headset recommendations

Santorum X

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Hey guys, I am planning on purchasing a headset for XBL and I wanted to get your opinions on which models are the best. I have heard the MS brand being flimsy and easily breakable, is this true?

I was looking at this headset from Plantronics and wondered if it's worth the $19.99.

801870b.jpg

The hook that holds the MS mic to the headband is very breakable.

I just bought the Plantronics X20 model. I'll test it out tonite and let you know what I think of it.

I can highly recommend the Madcatz headset. Very small and light, very durable as well. It should only be $4.99 at Gamestop B&M.

I've never had a problem with the original Microsoft headset (I have 3 of them).

I currently use the Logitech Wireless headset (along with the wireless controller). They both work amazing. (despite the review in OXM).

Although pricey ($80 for the headset, $50 for the controller) you can shop around. I got them both for about $90-ish around Christmas for a Circuit City sale.

[quote name='Haggar']I've never had a problem with the original Microsoft headset (I have 3 of them).[/quote]

The latter betrays the former. Why do you have 3 if you've never had a problem with the first?

I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation, I just want to hear it. :wink:

i use some crap earpiece that came with my phone handset. it's like a import ripoff of the platronics headset, but it works. i have the MS brand sitting on the shelf.

[quote name='Derwood43']I can highly recommend the Madcatz headset. Very small and light, very durable as well. It should only be $4.99 at Gamestop B&M.[/quote]

I'm thinking of buying one of those $5 headset pieces because I'm a cheapass. Hope it works alright.

[quote name='zewone'][quote name='Derwood43']I can highly recommend the Madcatz headset. Very small and light, very durable as well. It should only be $4.99 at Gamestop B&M.[/quote]

I'm thinking of buying one of those $5 headset pieces because I'm a cheapass. Hope it works alright.[/quote]

I've got one of these and it's the best deal I could find for a replacement headset. I've never had a problem with it. Going to get a second one sometime soon so that when my friends come over to play, they don't have to transport their own. It's way cheap and durable.

The only con would be that the fitted earpiece part kind of hurts my ear after a while of wearing it snugly. You'd kind of have to adjust it a little to get it to fit right and not hurt after being in for a while. Breaks between matches are good, too.

I have the Halo 2 mic. I know, I know, it's $50, but it's a very good mic. If you're willing to spend that much money on a very cool and reliable mic, I would go with this one.

OP I use the headset that you have pictured and I love it. It works perfectly fine, at least as well as the original xbox one. I use it because i can lean back in my chair while playing, something i can't do with the behind the neck xbox headset.

OP, I too have the Plantronics headset you pictured. I've had it for about three months since the dreaded plastic clip on the MS one broke. The sound quality is excellent, it's comfortable, you won't have a second useless plastic piece that goes in your controller sitting around.

IMHO it's the best replacement out there.

[quote name='XboxMaster']I have the Halo 2 mic. I know, I know, it's $50, but it's a very good mic. If you're willing to spend that much money on a very cool and reliable mic, I would go with this one.[/quote]

It's only $40 at CC.

Isn't it the same headset as the X20? Anyway, I hate the official headset (hurts my ear), and am waiting to hear the opinion of the X20.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Haggar']I've never had a problem with the original Microsoft headset (I have 3 of them).[/quote]

The latter betrays the former. Why do you have 3 if you've never had a problem with the first?

I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation, I just want to hear it. :wink:[/quote]

he probably has friends... :roll: ...therefore, he'd have 3 of the same.

probably sux for some people to have more than one controller port, huh?

[quote name='minos1067']he probably has friends... :roll: ...therefore, he'd have 3 of the same.

probably sux for some people to have more than one controller port, huh?[/quote]

If that's the case, he's nicer to his friends than I am to mine. The MS models don't come cheap, so I don't really see anyone up and buying more for their friend's convenience. Than again, I'm not everybody.

And thank you for the sarcastic tone while addressing a harmless question.

[quote name='bil4l']The $5 Madcatz earpiece destroys your inner ear after long hours of playing.[/quote]

Care to explain further? Do you mean its just uncomfortable. I really am thinking about buying it so any feedback about it is greatly appreciated.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Haggar']I've never had a problem with the original Microsoft headset (I have 3 of them).[/quote]

I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation, I just want to hear it. :wink:[/quote]

LOL, because I could pay $50 to renew for a year of Xbox Live and get nothing, or pay $50 (at the time), get another Starter Kit, with a game and headset AND a year of Xbox Live.

Although I guess my original comment was a little misleading, since only one is being used. The others are in storage "In Case". I stocked up on them because I had heard they broke so easily.

I guess I've just been lucky.

[quote name='Haggar']I guess I've just been lucky.[/quote]

Since you say "$50 (at the time)", I assume you've had Live since around '02. In that case, you're VERY lucky to have not broken any of them. I know folks on their 3rd one in less than a year.

[quote name='swetooth9']the halo 2 headset is great...comfy for long hours[/quote]

I tried the Halo 2 headset and I couldn't get it to sit right with my big Dumbo ears, I suppose.

I also tried the Logitech wireless one, and don't get me started on that POS. :evil:

I went back to the Microsoft, though from what I've heard here, I might go get the X20, since my primary cellphone headset it a Plantronics and is rocks my socks.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Haggar']I guess I've just been lucky.[/quote]

Since you say "$50 (at the time)", I assume you've had Live since around '02. In that case, you're VERY lucky to have not broken any of them. I know folks on their 3rd one in less than a year.[/quote]

I picked up my XBL kit in '03 and haven't broken my headset yet. Guess I'm lucky as well.

i tried the microsoft original headset at my friends house a few weeks ago and i didnt feel that it hurt my head/ears...but it did break a little easily...nothing serious though...just the band around the back of your head came off of the hearing piece...but he put it back together...

[quote name='Ledhed']
Since you say "$50 (at the time)", I assume you've had Live since around '02. In that case, you're VERY lucky to have not broken any of them. I know folks on their 3rd one in less than a year.[/quote]

Yeah, I got Xbox Live around November/December 2002. I haven't broken a single Live headset yet.

*Knocks on wood*

The Xbox live headsets are very sensitive. I broke my friends by gently trying to put it on my head. The Madcatz one has hard plastic that digs into the skin in your ear after long playing time. An hour here and an hour there and you'll be fine. But for those long XBL sessions this is not the way to go...at least for me.

Just spent a couple of hours of quality time with the Plantronics X20. Very happy with it. No background noise, and it's damn responsive. I was cracking my knuckles between games, and it even picked up that.

I've had the X20 since December and love it. I can now lean my head back on the couch, and it's eyewear friendly. Two reasons enough to ditch the standard Xbox behind-the-head-stupid-ass-design-headset. The mic quality / pick-up seems a lot better too.

I got mine from NewEgg, I think they still have the cheapest price that I found anywhere.

bread's done
Back