Xbox Live Marketplace - changes to online purchase blocks.

Jess Stryker

Mama said to knock you out
xbox-live-ms-points-bundle-changes-500.jpg

Microsoft snuck in a an update to how MS Points are purchased on Xbox Live Marketplace sometime within the last couple of days. MS Points can now be purchased in sums that are reasonably related to the prices of content on Xbox Live Marketplace.

Since the launch of the Xbox 360 in 2005, consumers of Xbox Live have complained about how MS Points are sold through Xbox Live. The points were sold in bundles of 500 points while most games and content were sold in increments of 80 or 400 points. This resulted in a vicious cycle with Xbox Live users having points left over that could not be used without the purchase of more points. This has now changed as MS Points are sold in increments divisible by 400 as seen in the image above captured from the web version of Xbox Live Marketplace on Xbox.com.

Earlier this year, Microsoft was sued by a Philadelphia attorney over how MS Points were sold on Xbox Live. Fixing how MS Points were sold even made our list of what needs to be fixed for the Xbox 360 in 2010. Prior to this update, the best way to purchase MS Points without having to worry about left over points was to purchase points through retail cards or through Zune Marketplace. Whether the change is in response to the lawsuit or not, this is a welcome change for many Xbox Live users.
http://www.examiner.com/x-28759-Atlanta-Video-Game-News-Examiner~y2010m4d9-Xbox-Live-MS-Point-prices-changed-to-400-point-bundles?cid=exrss-Atlanta-Video-Game-News-Examiner

Last edited by a moderator:
I somehow ended up with 135 points before picking up some points recently. Good to see the options match the actual costs now, but they will still find some screwy way to get your point total off.

I mean, really....135? How the fuck did I manage that?

[quote name='KingBroly']Where's the $15/1200 point option?[/QUOTE]

You could buy 800, then 400 points?

I was planning on using the extra points from the old tiers to get The Maw's DLC (100 pts each), so this screws that up.

I'd prefer to just be able to buy the exact amount of points an item costs than continue messing around with the many odd amounts that everything is priced at.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I was planning on using the extra points from the old tiers to get The Maw's DLC (100 pts each), so this screws that up.

I'd prefer to just be able to buy the exact amount of points an item costs than continue messing around with the many odd amounts that everything is priced at.[/QUOTE]
I'd prefer to buy the exact amounts, too. I'm sick of having 10 left over points every single time.

Edit: The point increments isn't the only thing that changed apparently... I just bought a 400 point pack and I didn't get charged taxes! That's the first time that's ever happened to me in all my time of buying MSP.

Misleading title. The price of the points haven't changed. They are just offering 400 points now (which has always been available through the Zune marketplace).

[quote name='mtxbass1']Misleading title. The price of the points haven't changed. They are just offering 400 points now (which has always been available through the Zune marketplace).[/QUOTE]

Admittingly, I couldn't really think of a good title.

They should have done it this way from the start. Very awesome news to say the least. I'll just buy it off the console next time I need points. Unless there actually on sale somewhere of course. ;)

I must say, I always enjoyed having the 100 or so extra after each purchase. When you got enough, it was like rolling quarters to discover all the change equals actual cash, even if it all was an illusion and you had the money all along.

[quote name='DrMunkee']I must say, I always enjoyed having the 100 or so extra after each purchase. When you got enough, it was like rolling quarters to discover all the change equals actual cash, even if it all was an illusion and you had the money all along.[/QUOTE]
So true :lol:

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I somehow ended up with 135 points before picking up some points recently. Good to see the options match the actual costs now, but they will still find some screwy way to get your point total off.

I mean, really....135? How the fuck did I manage that?[/QUOTE] I'm not sure where the 5 came from, I didn't there there was any content available that had a 5 instead of a 0 for the last digit.

[quote name='DrMunkee']I must say, I always enjoyed having the 100 or so extra after each purchase. When you got enough, it was like rolling quarters to discover all the change equals actual cash, even if it all was an illusion and you had the money all along.[/QUOTE]

yeah, when you have the exact amount and you see your point balance hit zero it was kind of an awesome feeling.

bread's done
Back