Xbox Live Summer 2009 Update Thread - Now Live!

Yah, my Games Library is laggy again. I just got an e-mail also....Damn MS screwing it up lol. BUT my netflix does work and I like it alot really. nice not having to turn on the computer to add a movie.

I am kind of bummed as my Xbox froze on me while surfing through the dash after the first update and screwed up my Legends of Wrestlemania save causing me to lose all my created wrestlers and game progress. I already had my 1000 Gamerscore for the game but losing all 30 of my created wrestlers and movesets sucks. The game played fine a few days before the update and I was going to tweak one of my CAW and had the freeze then when I restarted and tried to load my save, I got the load failed message. I really wish it was easier to back up your 360 game saves like it is on almost every other system now, I am taking about using compact flash, USB drives or normal memory sticks that hold 16x the info of the same priced 360 memory card.

So in case people don't realize this already, 2 things:

#1 - Install sizes have changed mostly. Either they're the same size or a little bit smaller. Changes are being made to the Install size list.
#2 - Streaming Netflix can't be used outside the US, even with workarounds anymore.

Yah, my games library got alot slower since alot more got into it. It was working nice and fast, meh. I guess this is the way it will be.

Also, wondering what kinda Avatar clothing we will get for Splosion Man. :D

I think the Netflix stuff is a nice addition. But I said it once and I said it a thousand times, I WANT MY LAST.FM!!

[quote name='Owen'] I really wish it was easier to back up your 360 game saves like it is on almost every other system now, I am taking about using compact flash, USB drives or normal memory sticks that hold 16x the info of the same priced 360 memory card.[/QUOTE]

You could try this to back your stuff up, but I don't know if it will work on the new update or if MS is even going to try and block it in the future. Haven't used one personally, but it has a few good reviews on amazon.uk and a couple of other sites. To keep it on topic, it seems like my game library has gotten slower like others have been saying, still faster than it was originally though. Also didn't know about the install size things, guess I'll go reinstall everything since I'm running on

[quote name='Sdawg']You could try this to back your stuff up, but I don't know if it will work on the new update or if MS is even going to try and block it in the future. Haven't used one personally, but it has a few good reviews on amazon.uk and a couple of other sites. To keep it on topic, it seems like my game library has gotten slower like others have been saying, still faster than it was originally though. Also didn't know about the install size things, guess I'll go reinstall everything since I'm running on

I noticed that the demo portion of the game library now includes community games, which kind of sucks since I have a few trials in there and liked that they were separated before.

Man, I think I jinxed myself.

Hardly ever had any delays or slow loading screens before. Now have been getting them a lot after this update.

Takes a while on start up, and opening the game library now for some reason.

The Netflix updates are good though, nice to have some new additions etc. to browse through.

Anyone els notice the added option of pressing the x button to eject a disk while it is in the disk tray? Helps me because of the stupid disk read error.

Installed the update yesterday. Sacred 2 seems to freeze a lot every since. Also I guess there is no dashboard speed up with this. Seems kinda slow still. Also I wish they wouldnt charge for a few of those new Avatar things in the preview.

[quote name='tysonxguitar']Anyone els notice the added option of pressing the x button to eject a disk while it is in the disk tray? Helps me because of the stupid disk read error.[/QUOTE]
Yap! I've never used it though. Oblivion doesn't really leave my xbox.

I do like the new "help" section when one is having connection issues.

Update downloaded a little while ago, although I didn't receive an e-mail nor does the Windows Connect site say welcome to the preview but whatever. Like the new Netflix a lot with the ability to see what's out there and instantly add things to the queue. Party thing could be cool to watch something with some friends back in New York since I'm in Georgia. Dashboard seems about the same but it is much quicker for me when I choose to look at the menu selection to download something. It would take my 360 about a minute to load whatever it was I was looking to d/l before. Now it's instantaneous, which is a most welcome addition. Don't care much for buying avatar gear but am interested to see what can be unlocked in games. Neat addition of the ability to rate games. Will find this very helpful when looking at Indie Games.

For those of you still waiting I got in without receiving an email stating it. I just launched "splosion man" from my games library section and it prompted me for an update. This gave me the full update. So if you did not get an email just go launch a download game and possibly you could get the update. (Also another small update when I went to the avatar section)

The netflix update is awesome. It was really a pain in tha ass to go add form ym computer then turn on the xbox to watch them. This makes the netflix account worth all that much more.

Other than that and the avatar thing I dont really motice anything different.

[quote name='NJMane']The netflix update is awesome. It was really a pain in tha ass to go add form ym computer then turn on the xbox to watch them. This makes the netflix account worth all that much more.
[/QUOTE]

Well, it's still not the same since you can just browse a limited selection vs. searching the whole collection online.

But it never bothered me as I'm on Netflix pretty often anyway, updating my disc and instant queue, rating things I watched etc. And it would be terribly slow to type in names on the 360 with the controller--but they should add that functionality sometime for people with more patience or the messenger pad thing etc.

First thing I had to get was the RC Warthog lol. I didn't get an email from them or anything, was just bumped out for an update while I was playing Resident Evil 5. So far it's worked really smooth for me. The overall appearance of the dashboard is the same, but all the little tweaks are nice. Hands down, the Netflix update is the best for me. I'd also like to try out the Netflix party feature. That would be kinda cool. I might try and gather up some of the Gamerchix with Netflix and the preview, to see if we can try it out.

Viva Pinata Trouble In Paradise is available for download (you have to search "All Games -> V -> Viva Pinata TIP"). It's $30 @ 5GB, but if you change it to MS points, it suddenly changes to FREE. But I get an error when trying to download it.

Do you have the points necessary to buy it? Probably why you're getting an error if you don't have the 2400.

BTW, 2400 for that game is bullshit.

Yes, I have enough points. It could be a space issue, but it should at least let me download it before giving me any error.

Here is my wonderful experience with the preview program.

I turned my Xbox on today and was prompted to do a system update. I never got an email that I was in the program but the only system update I know about is the beta program that I just signed up for on the weekend.

I turned my 360 on tonight and was prompted that I needed to do a system update. However, when I click the system update, the warning screen goes off but the new window that tries to open freezes and stays grey. If I decline the update I can use my xbox just fine offline, but cannot connect to live w/o updating the console. The 1-800-4-MYXBOX told me my HDD was bad (after a bunch of decent troubleshooting steps) because the system would turn on with the HDD out of the system. I pointed out the obvious holes in that theory and then used another HDD I had laying around to try and connect to Live. And low and behold I had the same problem. They then said that it was a console problem and that it would be $119.95 to send it in for repairs. I have no problem paying for repairs if I thought this was actually a hardware problem, but means my xbox works just fine for everything except the brand new update I have my doubts.

So anyone else having or hearing of the preview update not installing correctly?

I hadn't turned my Xbox on since a few days ago, but I got the preview program update just now. Had no problems.

Not seeing much yet aside from the stars for user ratings.

the most annoying thing was the return of the welcome channel, I was scared something f'ed up, but I re-removed it and all seems fine.

I reinstalled WWE Legends of Wrestlemania and WWE Smackdown vs Raw 09 to see about the size difference and it was no as much as I had hoped. Legends went from 6.8 to 6.5 gigs and SvR went from 6.6 to 6.5 gigs. I am still mad that the update screwed up my Legends game save making it corrupt and erasing all 30 of my created guys and all my game progress. I have never had anything like that happen in all of my time gaming on any console previously but I guess with these large HDs, I am growing more dependant on them instead of Memory Cards to back stuff up.

[quote name='Owen']I reinstalled WWE Legends of Wrestlemania and WWE Smackdown vs Raw 09 to see about the size difference and it was no as much as I had hoped. Legends went from 6.8 to 6.5 gigs and SvR went from 6.6 to 6.5 gigs. I am still mad that the update screwed up my Legends game save making it corrupt and erasing all 30 of my created guys and all my game progress. I have never had anything like that happen in all of my time gaming on any console previously but I guess with these large HDs, I am growing more dependant on them instead of Memory Cards to back stuff up.[/QUOTE]

What I don't get is why doesn't MS give us a small amount of storage space for save games? Hotmail is free and they get something like 5GB's or something, probably more, I haven't check recently. All I'm asking for is like 250MB for saves that's connected to our Gold accounts (Gold feature only).

Games on demand seems like a cool idea. But i dont think its right for me. It looks like the games are the same price as you can get them from a store. Lego Star wars the complete saga was 20 bucks in the video i linked to. Plus it would be faster if i drove, no walked to the local store and bought the game i wanted for the same price, rather than download it and wait 4-5 hours for it to download. Plus i would have a physical copy i can sell, trade, lend to friends. Assuming that my local store still sells these games.

the whole preview seems to be pretty blah for me.. it just doesnt bring much new to the table in my experience.

Didnt they add a "member since 200X" thing to profiles? I can't locate it.

And youd figure they would have some free items in the avatar store in the preview phrase a la home.

Go to the tab with your avatar/gamerscore on it in the My Xbox section.

Free clothing comes with the avatar rewards, which haven't been activated yet from what I can tell.

Quick question for those who have bought schtuff, If you use the credit card option does it store your number somehow? Due to the Live renewal headache I'd like to use a CC but dont want it stored on the console or M$ '$ server.

http://gamerscoreblog.com/press/archive/2009/08/05/mf227.aspx

It’s a brand new day for your Avatar, because now the little gal or fella has a Marketplace of his or her own. With an ever-expanding selection of stores, think of Avatar Marketplace as your Avatar’s own personal shopping mall full of premium outfits and accessories from your favorite games and fashion brands. And to keep your Avatars from getting bored, we’re giving them fun new animated props to play with; everything from a basketball to pompoms, even a cell phone…just try to stick with nights and weekends. Your Avatar’s one-stop-shop for threads and more will launch with a growing collection from the top names in fashion and gaming:

·Props: New Avatar items that bring custom animation to your Friends channel
·Top Brands: Adidas, Quiksilver, Roxy, tokidoki
·Unique Fashions: Steampunk, Recessionista
·Your Favorite Games: “BioShock 2,” “Halo 3,” “Halo 3: ODST,” “Gears of War 2,” “Fable II,” “The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition,” “Splinter Cell Conviction,” “Star Wars Clone The Wars: Republic Heroes”

Whether you’re an athlete, an artist, or an all-out gaming fanatic, you can express your (and your Avatar’s) online personality like never before. You can also earn special Avatar clothes and items just by playing your favorite games, starting with a hot logo t-shirt from “Splosion Man,” the hit Xbox LIVE Arcade title that kicked-off off the 2nd annual Summer of Arcade.
New avatar clothing sets that are on the way are mentioned in the official update press release. It sucks that the avatar rewards for Splosion Man is a t-shirt with the splosion man logo and not the awesome costume from the credits when you beat the game.

Really? I thought people were saying that there were $30 or $40 games in there, which would sounds about right when people are outraged by them.

Under Viva Pinata 2 that'sup, it comes up as $30 with real money, but FREE as MS points (probably a glitch). So whatever $30 is in MS points.

I've seen a few $30 prices in there. I haven't seen a $40 price tag in there, although someone said VP2, but that can't be right. I was mainly referring to the $40 price point.

I just reinstalled another 2 games, Saints Row 2 had no change it was 6.8 and still is 6.8 gigs but Rock Band 2 had an impressive change going from 6.6 to 4.6 gigs. With a 2 gig difference, I wonder what they are doing to make these installs smaller as I would hate to find out the the audio is getting compressed or something like that especially on a game like Rock Band 2 as that is really the only thing that makes sense for such a huge difference.

[quote name='Owen']I just reinstalled another 2 games, Saints Row 2 had no change it was 6.8 and still is 6.8 gigs but Rock Band 2 had an impressive change going from 6.6 to 4.6 gigs. With a 2 gig difference, I wonder what they are doing to make these installs smaller as I would hate to find out the the audio is getting compressed or something like that especially on a game like Rock Band 2 as that is really the only thing that makes sense for such a huge difference.[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that it is mostly dummy data being taken out, so actual game files shouldn't be affected.

360 Games are in the Games on Demand tab now.
Call of Duty 2- $29.99
Oblivion- 29.99
Need for Speed Carbon- 19.99
Lego Star Wars, the Complete Sags- 29.99
Mass Effect- 19.99
Viva Pinata- 19.99
Sonic the Hedgehog- 19.99
Bioshock- 29.99
AssassinsCreed- 29.99

Must be bought with a credit card, or redeemable code, and you will get tax added on apparently.

bread's done
Back