Xbox Live Summer 2009 Update Thread - Now Live!

is it just me or is microsoft overpricing every game on the dam new game on demaned system ? its 50$ for every game over in europe. I can go out and buy mass effect for 10$. the prices are BS

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'd probably doubt that paid stuff offers that option, but a small portion of the free stuff has that option.[/QUOTE]

that would suck, I would love to be able to change the color of the Gatsby to straight black

edit: oh and one more thing, I wish they would let you be able to use MS points to buy games in the Games On Demand section. Considering the deals that pop up once in awhile on point cards, it might actually get me to buy an overpriced game

I'm trying to update, but for some reason whenever I choose the option to update it stops when the bars are full and it gives me an RRoD. I don't know how I can get past this.. Any suggestions? My system works fine, I just can't get it to update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fgYnvCt0qY

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a bit disappointed with the avatar marketplace update. I was joking with a couple friends of mine who I play 1 vs 100 with, and we were talking about getting on the mob. As a joke, we said they should create a torch or pitchfork so we could truly be a mob. Didn't happen sadly.

I could have a lot of fun though making my avy silly though with the pom poms. :p

They should also let me try multiple items at once. I want to know if an item goes well with another.

Either way, 400MSP for a lightsaber is just.. NUTS O.O, i dont have anything against who buys it but i think its a ripoff.

Add me to the list of confused people who saw the golden number by names and thought WTF is that. My friend messaged me and had a 5 and I was like um um and browsed other peoples looking and found a range of numbers. I came here and skimmed and found my answer. Now maybe they will reward us long timers! I've got 5 years logged it seems.

[quote name='$hady']Add me to the list of confused people who saw the golden number by names and thought WTF is that. My friend messaged me and had a 5 and I was like um um and browsed other peoples looking and found a range of numbers. I came here and skimmed and found my answer. Now maybe they will reward us long timers! I've got 5 years logged it seems.[/QUOTE]

They rewarded us last year for the 5th anniversary of Live if you were there from the beginning, so I am not really expecting anything special till 10 years of Xbox Live but a free Avatar shirt or something for all the 6s or even a nice Original Xbox Live Beta Tester Avatar item would be cool.

A comment on GT pretty much summarizes it for me:
pay to play online, pay for fake clothes, pay to change your gamertag, pay for this, pay for that...well i have something to say Microsoft, fuck YOU

I was wondering what that gold number was. I was like huh?

I wish you could change the color of all your clothes, not just the Xbox ring shirt. Avatar marketplace is a complete joke but MS is going to make a good chunk of change off of it.

My wife wanted me to buy the Pom Poms, just to get a laugh out of people.
I just couldn't do it.
Although I do think it would have been quite funny. Get the Gears of war garb, and some pom poms.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Press Y when looking at the purchase screen and it should show you how many points you'd need to buy it.[/QUOTE]

cool, I didn't see that when it launched yesterday

[quote name='KingBroly']If I enter my 12 month code to extend my Gold account will it stack?[/QUOTE]

as long as you enter it under your main account, they always stack

Ya know, the Avatar Marketplace isn't such a terrible idea. But when they have items for 400 points.. that's just sickening. For an item. For $5 it should be a pack of clothes/items. Not a single item.

[quote name='fettouhi']is it just me or is microsoft overpricing every game on the dam new game on demaned system ? its 50$ for every game over in europe. I can go out and buy mass effect for 10$. the prices are BS[/QUOTE]

$50 is a bargain in Europe. Have you been to a game store in Europe? New games go for $100. $50 is used game price. Gotta love VAT.

[quote name='eau']A comment on GT pretty much summarizes it for me:[/QUOTE]

You can hate MS's methods of making money but just remember they keep doing it because people keep giving them money.

[quote name='thrustbucket']$50 is a bargain in Europe. Have you been to a game store in Europe? New games go for $100. $50 is used game price. Gotta love VAT.

You can hate MS's methods of making money but just remember they keep doing it because people keep giving them money.[/QUOTE]

True.

All games on demand here cost €30 (42.6 dollars), including the (really) old ones. Retail games go for as much as €69 (98 dollars).

I import all my games from the UK and the VAT there is 15%, I'm sure VAT is not the only reason.

The recent update has seemed to screw up the ability for me and my wife to play online most of the time. Before we could both get online at the same time without having static ips for both xboxes, now It's only letting one of us log in into live at a time.

[quote name='fart_bubble']cool, I didn't see that when it launched yesterday

as long as you enter it under your main account, they always stack[/QUOTE]

Well, I only have 1 English account, so I guess I'm fine then.

[quote name='sunnysky']My wife wanted me to buy the Pom Poms, just to get a laugh out of people.
I just couldn't do it.
Although I do think it would have been quite funny. Get the Gears of war garb, and some pom poms.[/QUOTE]

The pom poms always make me laugh when i see the avatar dance. LOL

I don't have a problem with MS asking for money for the items. And I sure wasn't shocked something awesome like the lightsaber was 5 bucks. I mean, they know everyone wants that. I hope if MS gets more revenue streams it will keep the price of Live down.

But I'll tell you right now, it they put out turn tables for less then 5 bucks I'll buy it.

I just kinda wish these items items were limited like those dopey gifts you can give on facebook. If there were only 2000 of this shirt or 300 of those shoes, I think it would give more value to the items. What is the point of having a light saber when everyone has one? Also it was easy to pass on the blue saber since I would much rather have a Green or Red one.

e3 trophy? Anyway I don't know what shocks me more. The fact that I'm shocked and can not belive that M$ would sell crap for the avatar or the fact that I'm shocked by it. From what I am reading the stuff is around 400 points and should only be 50 or 100 points. I can not see me ever buying this stuff.

[quote name='sendme']e3 trophy? Anyway I don't know what shocks me more. The fact that I'm shocked and can not belive that M$ would sell crap for the avatar or the fact that I'm shocked by it. From what I am reading the stuff is around 400 points and should only be 50 or 100 points. I can not see me ever buying this stuff.[/QUOTE]
Most of the items are 80 points.

[quote name='sendme']e3 trophy? Anyway I don't know what shocks me more. The fact that I'm shocked and can not belive that M$ would sell crap for the avatar or the fact that I'm shocked by it. From what I am reading the stuff is around 400 points and should only be 50 or 100 points. I can not see me ever buying this stuff.[/QUOTE]

at e3 microsoft had a laptop at the xbox live booth, if you signed up with your gamertag and email address microsoft sent out a special e3 trophy. here's me with my trophy

l_891ef4c72a5943e1ad3edb1145f5c713.jpg

[quote name='lmz00']Most of the items are 80 points.[/QUOTE]

Most of the items are on average 160 points. If they were all 80 I wouldn't mind but this shit is ridiculous.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']at e3 microsoft had a laptop at the xbox live booth, if you signed up with your gamertag and email address microsoft sent out a special e3 trophy. here's me with my trophy

l_891ef4c72a5943e1ad3edb1145f5c713.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I've been wondering what that looked like. I didn't actually think it'd be Trophy, I thought it was a metaphor. :lol:

Does anyone know if buying off Amazon still counts towards that Summer of Arcade deal? I've bought every game so far except Turtles - picked up Trials during that $10 snafu, and since I plan on buying Shadow Complex, I figure I might as well get TMNT since I would get my money back.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Does anyone know of any other websites where people show off their avatars and the junk they've bought?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure there are thousands of them.

I talked to a MS rep online about my question, and got this response:

That's actually a really good question. My understanding is that it shouldn't matter where you purchased a game (be it from your console, Xbox.com or Amazon) for you to qualify for the free 800 MS Point promotion.

The key factors are that all of the Summer of Arcade titles are purchased on the same account prior to September 1st and that the account has a United States address.

The "purchase footprint" associated with an account is always the same regardless of how the content is acquired so the script that runs on the LIVE servers to determine eligibility at the end of the month will pick up your account no problem.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Netflix is pissing me off. Last week I watched several movies under the 'Foreign' category and now that category is gone. It was the best category.[/QUOTE]
I still have that category, have you checked it recently?

So..a question about Netflix. Is it true you can invite someone to watch something on the Netflix app as long as they have the app, but not a subscription?

bread's done
Back