Xbox Live to be discontinued for original Xbox games:

uglyteradon

CAGiversary!
Microsoft is going to pull the plug on X-Box Live for the original console (April 15, 2010). Which means, amongst other things, that our friends lists will finally support over 100 people. So start finding those celebrity game-tags now, people!

Sources:
Major Nelson

Joystiq

Kotaku

Microsoft has mentioned that this will open new possibilities to evolve the service on the current system... as well as flame-bait for Console Fanboys.

Questions & Concerns:

Q: Will I be able to download the backwards compatibility patch in the future?
a: As far as anybody has been told the patch will not be taken offline this April. Even if it is the same patch is offered on OXM Discs and is fairly easy to come by.

Q: Have they really taken down all the DLC for X-Box Games?
a: Unfortunately, Microsoft has jumped the shark and pulled all the DLC that was previously available.
a: [02-11-10] Microsoft has put DLC back up for X-Box games. Most likely will be taken down again when Live is dismantled.

Q: Isn't Bungie throwing a 'Last Hurrah' for Halo 2? What about the DLC required to play!?
a: Bungie is aware of the problem and trying to find a soluation. Or you can install the maps with the Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack disc (if you have it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sucks for the people that play regular Xbox games online. Personally I knew this day would come eventually. It really doesn't apply to me. I never played Xbox games online.

DLC is a big issue for me, because if I were to transfer my information off of another 360 and have no means to re-download in 7+ years down the road (and of course no way to purchase it if DLC is taken off line) that would piss me off.

Will you still be able to download content for old XBox games? That's the big dealbreaker for me.

I will miss the ability to play some of the fighters online and especially Halo 2 for shits and giggles. Oddly enough? The PC Halo 1 and Halo 2 servers will still be running!

They haven't mentioned anything about keeping DLC from the first generation online. I suppose keeping that Halo 2 Maps disc will eventually mean something again.

Bungie has mentioned throwing a 'Last Hurrah' for Halo 2; but I'm not sure when that is.

Doesn't apply to me, but that's bollocks on MS's part. They charge 50$ a year. I feel sorry for the people that still play original x-box online. Think about the potential future. To think that someday, my precious Virtual On Oratorio Tangram which is a DC port, will be remove completely from online.

"Our first step in this process will be to turn off auto-renewals for those members who only use Xbox LIVE on a v1 Xbox." I guess Microsoft is at least making sure people won't be continually billed for X-Box live if they are using just a regular X-Box account. Really this will hurt whatever Halo 2 community is still left... I can't think of a lot of games on the X-Box I really played on Live. Though I really only had my system for a little over a year before the 360 had come out.

Guess I'll never be able to play Phantom Dust online, anymore. I'm sure the community is dead, though.

Most xbox games other than Halo 2 and Star Wars battlefront are dead anyway. Theres no reason to continue supporting the xbox if it accounts for so little of the market. Plus if it can help xbl on the 360 then by all means do it. Just get a 360.

i found ONE person in conker live and reloaded, kicked my ass with the glitched lag ever time!

halo 2 is on the pc

I really wish there was a Mech Assault and Crimson Skies for the 360.
By the way, how do you log on to your original XBOX? I moved onto the 360 and basically haven't used my original cause of the BC. Now that it is ending I might have to hook it up for some last hurrahs. How do you do it?

Well, if you want to download any original Xbox content, it's too late. It has already been shut down. Pretty sweet. They give people a two month warning on playing online but too bad if you want to get any content for those games.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I really wish there was a Mech Assault and Crimson Skies for the 360.
By the way, how do you log on to your original XBOX? I moved onto the 360 and basically haven't used my original cause of the BC. Now that it is ending I might have to hook it up for some last hurrahs. How do you do it?[/QUOTE]

You probably have to recover your gamertag to the original xbox, but I think that will only work if your gamertag started on original xbox.

Just make a new gamertag on the old xbox with a 2 month trial, they are readily available. Unless they are blocking new accounts now...

Most DLC for original xbox was accessed in game menus. Maybe I should throw my crimson skies in the 360 and see if that's still available, and get it before it's gone.

I wonder if free DLC from original xbox are drm locked, or if it could be backed up and distributed online for those that miss out on this last minute opportunity.

[quote name='Demolition Man']More the reason why there needs to be a new Midtown Madness done for the 360.[/QUOTE]

Dear god, I came in here just to post about Midtown Madness. That game sold me on xbl. I swear the Hunter mode in that game is still the mark on how I measure if a game is fun or not. It takes alot to design a game mode where the people who lose have just as much fun as the guy who wins.

I'm still angry MS never made it BC, but i guess those hopes are truly dead. I hope MS has something big planed for XBL now that they are droping the legacy code from the OG xbox.

Oh, well. As others have mentioned, except for a few games, everything is almost completely dead. If this honestly means big things for the future of XBL, I'll take it.

Yeah, I feel bad for "last-gen" gamers who are going to be left out. Perhaps MS will offer them an upgrade discount or something similar.

I'm sure MS has plans to upgrade live and they are just doing what needs to be done.

Things I speculate are coming:
  • Halo Collection/relaunch/XBLA
  • Friends limit increase
  • Xbox Originals price change
  • Community/clan/Group support
  • Party Changes

like i would pay these fuckers for a halo remake

what about:

Doom 3 (and expansion park)
Unreal Championship 2
CounterStriker (BOOM, headshots)
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Dead or Alive Ultimate

and the rest. I thought my LIVE sub keeps the shit I play open, MS, not those whom you deem worthy.

Anyone else try to go to DLC for games? I wasn't able to get any DLC for any games yesterday.

I was however, able to download patchs for games and backwards compat patchs for games. I hope to go they are atleast keeping those up.

They've already pulled the DLC for the original Xbox games, even Halo 2. But I've heard Halo 2's DLC is going to be put back up because it's required to play. I wonder why they're in such a hurry to pull that stuff down.

MS announced that there was only one OG Xbox in the works about six months ago + that ever persistent Halo 1/2 rumor of a version with achievements = Halo 2 (revisited) on the Marketplace.

I mean if, Sony can do a God of War collection, then why not?

So is it true you can't download the maps anymore?

Actually, I wish I could have pulled any of the DLC offline that I had bought before they pulled it. Although, I'm sure it would have just been the free DLC from Phantom Dust.

I guess if they announced that they were taking down all the DLC, they would have had a mass rush of people downloading shit they may never even play.

I tried Halo 2 earlier. No go on the maps.

[quote name='timesplitt']i can still PLAY original xbox games on my 360.. right!![/QUOTE]

You can. You just can't play them online.

[quote name='timesplitt']i can still PLAY original xbox games on my 360.. right!![/QUOTE]

Yeah, all eight of them.

[quote name='reddjoey']Yeah, I feel bad for "last-gen" gamers who are going to be left out. Perhaps MS will offer them an upgrade discount or something similar.

I'm sure MS has plans to upgrade live and they are just doing what needs to be done.

Things I speculate are coming:
  • Halo Collection/relaunch/XBLA
  • Friends limit increase
  • Xbox Originals price change
  • Community/clan/Group support
  • Party Changes
[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me.

I'm not surprised with Halo 2 being shut down but it makes me shed a little tear since I spent so many hours playing that game. But if it allows XBL users to increase their friends' lists then I'm all for it.

I just feel stupid for not grabbing the free DLC when I had the chance. That's my biggest regret right now.
Though I think I have some of them on my original XBox so I guess It's not the biggest loss ever.

I piled up all my original XBox games on the side that listed "Content Download" on the back in hopes they'll put them back up before they permently take them down, but I doubt they'll put them back up.

I'm trying to get my friends to get on before April 15th for a last Halo 2 hurrah provided they put up the maps again, if not we'll just all go into the practice play list and kick the crap out of each other one last time.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do indeed re-release Halo 1/2 with HD "optimizing" and achievements. That wouldn't surprise me one bit considering they could probably get $40 or so easily for both of them with online and achievements.

Is there a comprehensive list of downloadable content for the original Xbox? It is a hassle to hook up the Xbox to Live and then reconnect the 360. I'd like to weigh the cost/benefit to see if I even have the titles to make it worth it.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I just feel stupid for not grabbing the free DLC when I had the chance. That's my biggest regret right now.
Though I think I have some of them on my original XBox so I guess It's not the biggest loss ever.

I piled up all my original XBox games on the side that listed "Content Download" on the back in hopes they'll put them back up before they permently take them down, but I doubt they'll put them back up.

I'm trying to get my friends to get on before April 15th for a last Halo 2 hurrah provided they put up the maps again, if not we'll just all go into the practice play list and kick the crap out of each other one last time.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do indeed re-release Halo 1/2 with HD "optimizing" and achievements. That wouldn't surprise me one bit considering they could probably get $40 or so easily for both of them with online and achievements.[/QUOTE]

The DLC doesn't work anymore anyway, so there is no real point, even if you have it. You can't play that stuff anymore, ever.

As for a Halo 1/2 remake...uh...maybe in 2 years? I mean, if they do that, why not just make the maps compatible with Halo 3 when something like that is released?

I'll shit my pants with joy if they were to re-release Halo 1/2 with online.

That said, it'll never happen.

so will they be keeping the Orig Xbox on demand games? to me it seems stupid to keep them if you can't even play them. but hopefully they do keep em and that means they keep the backwards compat patches (has anyone heard if they will stop the backwards compat patches?)

I rarely ever played the Xbox online, but last year, you could still get a decent game of Project Gotham 2 or Crimson Skies going. I really have to be honest, if the choices were to either have the original Xbox online or more than 100 friends, I'd take the original Xbox games online (though, I'm probably in the 5% minority).

Sort of depressing since I bought Phantom Dust, and gave it 2+ hours of play. It's one of those games I meant to play (and wanted to try online), but won't happen now. Still will give the game a run through.

This is one thing that makes me sad about the future of gaming. I can still go back and play old Nintendo games. Occasionally (like with Super Mario Bros 1), you can recapture some of that magic. But, so many games today live and die with their mutliplayer. It's bad enough that after a year you only have a handful to play, but after 5-6, you won't even have that option anymore.

[quote name='kodos64']so will they be keeping the Orig Xbox on demand games? to me it seems stupid to keep them if you can't even play them. but hopefully they do keep em and that means they keep the backwards compat patches (has anyone heard if they will stop the backwards compat patches?)[/QUOTE]

The backwards compatibility patch will remain and continue to be available (from what I understand). Although, they haven't added any new X-Box games on Demand in quite some time and I don't think they are going to continue it from this point.

To Reiterate: I don't believe the patch is considered a part of the original X-Box Live service so it should remain.

[quote name='uglyteradon']The backwards compatibility patch will remain and continue to be available (from what I understand). Although, they haven't added any new X-Box games on Demand in quite some time and I don't think they are going to continue it from this point.

To Reiterate: I don't believe the patch is considered a part of the original X-Box Live service so it should remain.[/QUOTE]

I still think people should go and get the patch before April regardless.

[quote name='Trakan']I'll shit my pants with joy if they were to re-release Halo 1/2 with online.

That said, it'll never happen.[/QUOTE]

Halo Origins, $60, $150 Cat Helmet editions

If they did that (their Halo studio might be doing it) they better make all Halo 1/2 maps work under the same system.

[quote name='uglyteradon']The backwards compatibility patch will remain and continue to be available (from what I understand). Although, they haven't added any new X-Box games on Demand in quite some time and I don't think they are going to continue it from this point.

To Reiterate: I don't believe the patch is considered a part of the original X-Box Live service so it should remain.[/QUOTE]

thx! that's good news i hadn't seen anywhere!

i hope they do keep the xb ondemand available. several games on there i've been meaning to get and never had the money. still seems silly to me to keep the ondemand games w/out being able to play them online.

[quote name='jonathanp']I still think people should go and get the patch before April regardless.[/QUOTE]

Truth. Then again that same patch is on a lot of the OXM discs.

[quote name='KingBroly']The DLC doesn't work anymore anyway, so there is no real point, even if you have it. You can't play that stuff anymore, ever.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? I know there was KOTOR single player DLC that could be used, and some multiplayer DLC could be used in splitt screen and system link. There was plenty of use for DLC for most games.

I'm going to make sure I have all the title updates for the game come the weekend just incase they remove those to. Gah.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I'm going to make sure I have all the title updates for the game come the weekend just incase they remove those to. Gah.[/QUOTE]

Even if they removed the Title Updates for backwards compatibility they are still attainable. We used to get them when I worked at GameCrazy (for our 360) so I know Microsoft used to offer them for anybody who didn't have XBL. Also, as stated above, the patch is offered on OXM discs and I believe they continue printing newer discs with the same patch.

So we should be fine on backwards compatibility.

bread's done
Back