Xbox Live vs PSN: Next Gen?

The 7th Number

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
During the 360 vs ps3 days it was safe to say that the 360 had a better online service, better online options, etc. Im still deciding which next gen system to get, PS4 or Xbox One and online is a big part of that decision.

With a game like Destiny coming out soon, i want to make sure im get a system that performs well online. So has PSN upgraded significantly to match Xbox live? I thought i heard that Xbox one doesnt have party chat anymore. Is there any place i can see who has what options? From personal experience can anyone give me their opinion on the matter?

Im also curious do the next gen systems need a faster internet speeds or will my current 2.8mb down, 0.4mb up be fast enough to work well with next gen systems?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

As far as PS4 to Ps3, all I can say is it is vastly improved.  I recently started going back to my PS3 to complete some games and all the downloads, updates, and online connections are slower on the PS3 than my PS4.

One big thing that has been shown is install times of games, PS4 has much faster times and you can play the game quicker on PS4.

As far as PS4 to Ps3, all I can say is it is vastly improved. I recently started going back to my PS3 to complete some games and all the downloads, updates, and online connections are slower on the PS3 than my PS4.

One big thing that has been shown is install times of games, PS4 has much faster times and you can play the game quicker on PS4.
Hmmm now that you mention it, do ps4 games still have updates that take forever, or require installs? I remember trying to download a PSN game and it wanted me to download like 6 updates in a row that would have taken forever, so i just stopped it and gave up.

Do i have to manually update my trophies like PS3?

Hmmm now that you mention it, do ps4 games still have updates that take forever, or require installs? I remember trying to download a PSN game and it wanted me to download like 6 updates in a row that would have taken forever, so i just stopped it and gave up.

Do i have to manually update my trophies like PS3?
Yes you have to install games, but now so do Xbox one games, and like I said it has been shown that install times are much quicker on PS4 than Xbox. Overall xbox live is still Xbox live. PSN has been upgraded. Honestly I wouldn't really use either of this to make a decision on which one you want to get, look at the games.

Yes manually updating trophies still there, but with Plus you can have the system turn on a snyc at a specific time.

Well I don't own a PS4, but based on friend's experiences and what I've seen online:

XB1 download speeds are a lot better. Based on the GAF thread people have used ethernet and did download speed tests. X1 still wins by a rather large mile. I don't know if this is a state by state case or what because I don't understand why MS has faster download speeds.

XB1 has party chat but there is no cross chat between systems. The clarity of voice on the X1 is fuckING AMAZING. It's night and day between the 360. Huge props to MS on the codec.

Both systems can share clips. I like how the X1 has a active friends list where it shows what people are recently playing in the friends app, etc. Twitch is integrated right now on the X1, I think It's the same on the PS4.

I think everything will be nitpicking. Honestly it all comes down to games and if you care about 900p vs 1080p.

PSN+ and Games with Gold are pretty much equal as of June on both systems. Both parties are offering indie/XBLA type games for free. I've read Driveclub will be a glorified demo as in a few tracks and a few cars, so neither company is offering retail titles yet.

I'd say either way you win. Go where your friends are going for online and stay with that system.

In the long run you're going to go back to going online with the X1 because of Gears as I've seen by your posts.

I'd say It's also impossible to not own all 3 systems this gen especially after the Nintendo E3 event.

During the 360 vs ps3 days it was safe to say that the 360 had a better online service, better online options, etc. Im still deciding which next gen system to get, PS4 or Xbox One and online is a big part of that decision.

With a game like Destiny coming out soon, i want to make sure im get a system that performs well online. So has PSN upgraded significantly to match Xbox live? I thought i heard that Xbox one doesnt have party chat anymore. Is there any place i can see who has what options? From personal experience can anyone give me their opinion on the matter?

Im also curious do the next gen systems need a faster internet speeds or will my current 2.8mb down, 0.4mb up be fast enough to work well with next gen systems?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
I've had both since launch and I can say that the PS Network has been down a lot more than Xbox Live. I've only seen Xbox Live go down one time since I've been using it and it was only for a couple of hours. Just yesterday when EA announced the Battlefield Hardline beta it just killed PSN for about an hour.

Xbox One does have party chat, as does PS4. They both work very smoothly even though the voice quality on Xbox One is much better. That doesn't really matter to me that much, but there is a pretty noticeable difference.

The one thing to note is that all first party Microsoft games run on dedicated servers. Halo will run on dedicated servers. Gears of War will almost assuredly run on dedicated servers. Titanfall is already running on dedicated servers. Sunset Overdrive has been confirmed to be running on dedicated servers.

If you're going to mainly be playing shooters online, Xbox One is the clear choice, IMO.

Both systems have game updates but you no longer have 4 or 5 at the same time - they're all rolled into one update per game on each system.

They both work very smoothly even though the voice quality on Xbox One is much better. That doesn't really matter to me that much, but there is a pretty noticeable difference.

Titanfall is already running on dedicated servers.
Good points. I didn't know the X1 voice quality was better then PS4 that's interesting.

Titanfall does run on EA's dedicated servers and not Microsoft's AFAIK, but I've rarely ever seen much lag despite having 2 bar for connection in the game most of the time.

I'm 90% sure that Titan fall does run on MS servers, but I could be wrong. I have very slow Internet and it makes my PS4 practically unplayable online... I can play Titan fall with no lag whatsoever on 1Mbps. If you play nothing but multiplatform titles, you might want to get a PS4 as they say they play better, but I'm not in that school of thought.

I'm 90% sure that Titan fall does run on MS servers, but I could be wrong. I have very slow Internet and it makes my PS4 practically unplayable online... I can play Titan fall with no lag whatsoever on 1Mbps. If you play nothing but multiplatform titles, you might want to get a PS4 as they say they play better, but I'm not in that school of thought.
Yeah, it's on Microsoft's Azure dedicated servers. Battlefield, on the other hand, is running on EA's dedicated servers. Vast difference between the two, although I have played Battlefield recently and it's MUCH better than what it was even a few weeks ago. I have put over 200 hours into Titanfall and have yet to experience a single instance of lag, which is what really excites me about Xbox exclusive shooters in the future that take advantage of Microsoft's free Azure servers.

On the flip side, it doesn't appear 3rd party games on multiple consoles will take advantage of this. I thought before this generation started that we would see games like Battlefield and Call of Duty on Microsoft's servers (since they're dedicated and free), but so far, that hasn't been the case.

Everything that has been said so far about the Xbox One has been spot on. One thing I recommend is to make sure the NAT settings are set to open. Some of the Xbox One games don't like a strict or moderate NAT. I use wireless and it is extremely fast when is comes to downloads and matchmaking. I always have full bars and low ping and I only have an average connection of 7.70 down/1.51 up. If you need help opening the ports use this site. http://portforward.com/

While the Kinect is being somewhat abandoned, I still suggest you get the bundle with it. If you have the money to burn. It makes finding things so much easier and recording game clips easy as well. The app selection is nice, just missing HBOgo and some other app I cant think of at the moment lol.

I recommend

Ryse-if you own an Xbox One, its a must play game. SP is fantastic and MP is also fun in survival mode. 

BF4

Titanfall

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare

Don't know if you still like Halo, but that Master Chief collection is pretty freaking ridiculous.

I dont mind halo, i loved halo 3 but after they started adding jet packs i didnt like it. Does the master chief collection only have multiplayer for Halo 2? As i said i loved Halo 3, if that had MP then maybe id reconsider.

Im pretty sure im leaning towards the PS4 though. Not so much as for online games but i just like it better. It seems to have more games im looking forward to in the near future. Hopefully before Gears of War comes out ill have an Xbox One by then too.

Thanks for all the advice. Xbox One does sound like it would still be better for online gaming.

Master Chief collection has MP for all titles and online co-op for all titles. 2 players for the first 2 games, then I believe It's 4 for 3 and 4.

Only 6 of the maps in Halo 2 are re-mastered (so far) as they said they wanted to get the game done by November and continue working on Halo 5, so the rest of the Halo 2 maps are 1080/60fps but not with the new graphics. Each title has dedicated servers, runs at 1080p 60fps and has their own multiplayer untouched from the originals. Halo 1 single player runs on the anniversary edition from the 360 but I think the multiplayer is old Halo 1 classic in terms of graphics.

Yeah there are a few exclusives i want on PS4, Uncharted 4, inFAMOUS Second son, The Order 1886, BloodBorne... and hopefully a God of War game in 2016. Xbox One really only has one exclusive that im interested in, Crackdown, and thats not really a game i need to have, i can wait on that when i eventually get an Xbox One and its cheap.

Im planning on getting the destiny white PS4 console and then Assassins Creed Unity when that comes out.

XBL is clearly the superior service, hands down. Between that, the OS, and amazing monthly updates, Microsoft's software expertise clearly shows.

bread's done
Back