Xbox modding may be Fair Use, rules judge

bubbafett4hire

CAGiversary!
Great news for anyone who likes tampering with their game consoles came out of a federal court today. The judge in a high-profile Xbox modding case has allowed use of the argument that altering the device in your own home fits into the long-defined Fair Use legal doctrine.

28-year-old Anaheim, California resident Matthew Crippen found himself in hot water when prosecutors brought charges against him for charging to mod Xbox 360s. They said that by violating the official software put in place on the system, Crippen could be charged with copyright infringement violations.

However, the judge overhearing the case has said he will accept a defense of "Fair Use" in the case. It's the same defense that eventually led to the ruling that iPhone jailbreaking isn't illegal. Following that legal precedent to the letter may allow Crippen to get off scot-free.

Lead prosecutor Allen Chiu argued that any sort of evidence or arguments citing Fair Use are t irrelevant to the case, will be used to wrongly achieve a "not guilty" sentence from the jury despite the evidence, and should not be admitted. The judge didn't agree, saying, "Because fair use is a mixed question of law and fact, it is a permissible question for the jury."

Of course, modding your Xbox 360 voids its warranty and could render it inoperable or unable to play future games. Sony has taken the proactive measure of continuously updating its firmware to brick PS3s that are modded without authorization. Microsoft hasn't been quite so strict with its console.

The decision today is merely a small victory for Crippen, who still needs to undergo an entire trial before his fate is decided. If convicted of violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, as prosecutors allege, he could face up to three years in prison. But if the Fair Use defense holds, it may set a new precedent.

Source http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/x...a-20101110175529935053/g-20060321132945404017

It's obvious that a very large portion of those who mod their 360's are doing it to play downloaded games. I don't think that this should be legal. Especially since he's charging for altering copyrighted material.

Agreed. It's just like emulators. The software is fine, acquiring Roms of games you don't own is not.

I get going after it since the majority of modders mod to pirate I'd think. But even being a huge anti-piracy guy, I'm also a big fair use guy and if someone buys a piece of hardware they should be able to tinker with it if they like.

Pirating is a huge problem. The entire Wii collection can be had for a fraction of their legally-obtained price. I went to purchase Dead Rising 2 on release date; and the security guy at the exit door said he finished it two-weeks ago! I asked him if he liked Case Zero, and he reacted like he didn't know what I was talking about, then said he doesn't play online cause his console was modded. Go figure.

what makes things worse is how some people will use a mod like a jtagged 360 nice for running emulators and for wanting to mess around with code without having to deal with XNA but instead they ruin games like MW2 and I am sure they'll find something in Black Ops to totally screw things up like they did in MW2.

If someone brings me their 360,Wii etc and can't do the soldering work themselves and ask me to wire it up, not flash it or install software just wire it I could face the same penalties as a pirate even though I haven't broken a law, Fair Use Yes... Piracy NO

Whoops, that didn't go so well.

Judge Bars ‘Fair Use’ Defense in Xbox Modding Trial

Also, the Gamesradar article completely misquotes their source article. The judge hadn't ruled on anything yet, they somehow managed to mistake a quote from the defense attorney as a judicial ruling. Here is the relevant bit:

Prosecutor Allen Chiu, however, wrote U.S. District Judge Philip Gutierrez that “any evidence relating to a ‘fair use’ defense is irrelevant and should be excluded.” Chiu said the defense’s reason for broaching fair use “would be to encourage jury nullification.”

Steele wrote that, “because fair use is a mixed question of law and fact, it is a permissible question for the jury.”

Neither Chiu nor Steele have returned repeated messages for comment. Gutierrez has not ruled on the issue or on a host of other unresolved evidentiary issues.

Steele is the public defender.

FYI: This case was dismissed as the prosecution came under fire for their choices. They videoed the modder, which was likely illegal, and the expert from MS was a former modder.

bread's done
Back