Xbox Next with No HD

BLarR

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Recent murmerings at Microsoft have been released in many a publication, detailing the fact that Microsoft is seriously considering not including a hard drive for the next X-box, claiming it to be too costly. If such an oocurance were to happen, and Xbox Next shipped without a hard drive, (leaving you to buy it seperatly) would you pass up on the next Xbox, as the HD does seem to be a large factor in people favoring the system over the others? Remember too, that this time around the Xbox will probably be the weakest in the graphics department.

odds are ill pass on it anyways.

im prolly going to put off the entire next gen of gaming a year or 2, i just have too much from this gen to play.

yeah, im going to go down with this gen as my last, new games are just so overrted and i can live with whats been produced for the past 20 years, good quality is what matters to me, and so does a cheap price tag, and i will never shell out 200 for a system(unless its some limited ccollectors edition

As long as the system is good, I'll buy it. I own all 3 now, I kind of wish I didn't get my PS2 though. The games kind of have sucked the last two years. The best year IMO was when FFX and MGS2 came out. That was one of my favorite PS2 years. (sorry to get off topic.)
Back on topic, I really want the next xbox, as long as developers produce origonal games for the system and not rehashed games.

I'd eventually get it, but with so much stuff coming out soon, there's no reason for me to even starting to consider another next gen console. There's already 28 games I want coming out this fall.. this fall is going to be huge for XBox.

28 games!? That's about 28 times the amount of games I'm waiting to be released on Xbox. What exactly are you so giddy over anyways?

[quote name='sj41']So, does that mean it won't be backwards compatible?[/quote]

The hard drive is a lesser issue in making the new machine backward compatible. The issue of NVIDIA's proprietary IP is the real dealbreaker.

A Hard Drive is not costly; you can get 60-80 gig drives for around $50. Since Microsoft is such a large company they should be able to get bulk deals on the drives reducing the cost even further.

[quote name='BLarR']Recent murmerings at Microsoft have been released in many a publication, detailing the fact that Microsoft is seriously considering not including a hard drive for the next X-box, claiming it to be too costly. If such an oocurance were to happen, and Xbox Next shipped without a hard drive, (leaving you to buy it seperatly) would you pass up on the next Xbox, as the HD does seem to be a large factor in people favoring the system over the others? Remember too, that this time around the Xbox will probably be the weakest in the graphics department.[/quote]

First off, if the lack of a HDD makes the console cheaper, then I'm all for it. Secondly, what area of random guessing did you pull the graphics comment out of? MS already publicly announced it will do whatever it takes to stay ahead of the other two in graphics and speed. I'm quite sure I'll buy all three consoles next gen.

edit - Nevermind, after reading some of your other posts, I realize you suffer from Gamefaqs-esque fanboyism.

[quote name='punqsux']odds are ill pass on it anyways.

im prolly going to put off the entire next gen of gaming a year or 2, i just have too much from this gen to play.[/quote]

Well said. That's my plan too...

I can't see the next XBox console without a HD. There are so many games out that that use it as cache and make games run much more smoother. Plus I have never bought a memory card as of yet thanks to the HD. I'm hoping if they don't include the HD that It's offered seperately as soon as the console is launched for $50-$100, then I would be happy.

As far as being backwards goes, It's not needed for me but would be very nice. Going backwards would open up a much larger libary for XBox 2, and would keep my old games fresh, and It would be awesome if the older xbox live games weer compatible. But I guess this is all a pipe dream.

Either way I'm buying an XBox 2 on launch, I lost all my faith in Nintendo (console wise) and I hardly play my PS2 outside of the RPGs.

Microsoft is getting rid of the hard drive because of the evolution x dashboard.........too many people swapped to 120 gig drives and just play from memory....with the cost of HDs falling every day it is a necessity. They can't have people having super modded out boxes it will kill software sales which is where they get all of thier liscensing fees.

--This is an opinion--i have no inside information--just wanted to make that clear

When I clicked this thread I was hoping for an article or some publication that would've confirmed it didn't have a HD. There's many a thread talking about rumors.

Whether or not the Next has a HD/ backwards compatibility is important to me though, that will probably determine whether I buy a system next gen.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='BLarR']Recent murmerings at Microsoft have been released in many a publication, detailing the fact that Microsoft is seriously considering not including a hard drive for the next X-box, claiming it to be too costly. If such an oocurance were to happen, and Xbox Next shipped without a hard drive, (leaving you to buy it seperatly) would you pass up on the next Xbox, as the HD does seem to be a large factor in people favoring the system over the others? Remember too, that this time around the Xbox will probably be the weakest in the graphics department.[/quote]

First off, if the lack of a HDD makes the console cheaper, then I'm all for it. Secondly, what area of random guessing did you pull the graphics comment out of? MS already publicly announced it will do whatever it takes to stay ahead of the other two in graphics and speed. I'm quite sure I'll buy all three consoles next gen.

edit - Nevermind, after reading some of your other posts, I realize you suffer from Gamefaqs-esque fanboyism.[/quote]

Pick up the August issue of Gameinformer to find where i "pulled" my comment from. Secondly, what the hell are you talking about Gamefaqs fanboyism? Do you really lead such a boring and dull life that you've become a fanboy of a certain site? Here's an idea Corny, turn off the damn monitor and leave the house for a while. It'll do ya a world of good to see daylight at least once a year, and maybe you just might get a chance to communicate with an actual person while your out there, other than typing lame responses on a message board.

[quote name='BLarR']Pick up the August issue of Gameinformer to find where i "pulled" my comment from. Secondly, what the hell are you talking about Gamefaqs fanboyism? Do you really lead such a boring and dull life that you've become a fanboy of a certain site? Here's an idea Corny, turn off the damn monitor and leave the house for a while. It'll do ya a world of good to see daylight at least once a year, and maybe you just might get a chance to communicate with an actual person while your out there, other than typing lame responses on a message board.[/quote]

Actually, I tend to only post while at work and bored.. I spend very ltitle time in front of my monitor. You're not a fanboy of Gamefaqs, you're a Gamefaqsish fanboy.. meaning a fanboy as represented by the majority of the posters on Gamefaqs. And seeing as there are numerous articles and other evidence to the affect of MS making sure it stays over-powered.. I'd tend to disagree on GI's viewpoint.. atleast until I see some hard facts instead of conjecture.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='BLarR']Pick up the August issue of Gameinformer to find where i "pulled" my comment from. Secondly, what the hell are you talking about Gamefaqs fanboyism? Do you really lead such a boring and dull life that you've become a fanboy of a certain site? Here's an idea Corny, turn off the damn monitor and leave the house for a while. It'll do ya a world of good to see daylight at least once a year, and maybe you just might get a chance to communicate with an actual person while your out there, other than typing lame responses on a message board.[/quote]

Actually, I tend to only post while at work and bored.. I spend very ltitle time in front of my monitor. You're not a fanboy of Gamefaqs, you're a Gamefaqsish fanboy.. meaning a fanboy as represented by the majority of the posters on Gamefaqs. And seeing as there are numerous articles and other evidence to the affect of MS making sure it stays over-powered.. I'd tend to disagree on GI's viewpoint.. atleast until I see some hard facts instead of conjecture.[/quote]

I'm sorry but that has to be the dumbest clarification I've ever heard with your whole fanboy spiel there. Disregarding the fact that your probably completly retarded, if you had bothered to pick up and read the issue of GI which I said I received my info. from, you would have noticed that these are "hard facts" as you put it, taken straight from horses arse (Microsoft) itself.

If there is no hard drive then that is just going to be sad. I really like being able to logon on the Xbox Live and download new updates and maps.

The truth is not in the cost of the hard drive the problem is that piracy is costing them a lot of money. The hard drive opens the door to easy piracy.

The current rumor that I've been hearing is that the hard drive is being skipped in favor of a large format flash memory storage solution. This is a better decision for a few reasons.

1)Fewer moving parts
2)Faster access. Anybody who's played Far Cry on the PC can attest to the bottle neck resulting from moving large amounts of data off of the hard drive. Flash memory would be MUCH faster.
3)Security - by using a proprietary card with a proprietary format it will be much harder to break in to. This could discourage many casual users from going through the trouble of hacking the system.

Besides all of that, the quality of the games for the system is what determines if people will buy it. Gamecube, for example, is far outpowered by the Xbox, it has no harddrive, and very little internet support yet people still buy it & swear by it. I realize that Nintendo fanboyism is a factor in it's sales, but by the time Xbox Next comes out who says fanboyism won't help sell that system too?

[quote name='NatakuARN']A Hard Drive is not costly; you can get 60-80 gig drives for around $50. Since Microsoft is such a large company they should be able to get bulk deals on the drives reducing the cost even further.[/quote]

Cost is cost. So long as it isn't free it adds to the bill of materials without being a critical component. While most of us Xbox owners appreciate the benefits of the hard drive they haven't translated into sales for Microsoft. Meanwhile, it is a very significant factor in making the Xbox more expensive to produce than a PS2 and consequently that much harder to make profitable when sold for the same price.

Even if they get the drives for as little as $20 per unit that is still a major added expense. You might have seen an unrelated but relevant Microsoft ad in which an IT guy goes around trying to get everyone excited because they reduced their transaction cost by a nickel. Most look at him as though he's mad until one exec considers that they do thousands of transactions a day. So those nickels very soon add up to serious money. It works the same way when you're manufacturing a product in the millions of units. IF you can cut the cost of a part by a nickel it's a big win.

So if you've got a part with a cost measured in tens of dollars and that part is found to be non-vital to the product's sales, what are the chances you're going to relegate that part to an optional status for the successor to the product?

Well I can see why Microsoft would skip it the next time around considering all the modding and such that is greatly helped by having a HD but it won't be a big deal for me. I'll probably repeat my same gaming purchases from this generation, playstation 3 and whatever the next xbox is called.

screw the new - non backwards compatible, no harddrive next box, i still got my regular xbox. and when the next box launches, ima still get another xbox for the hlel of it. cause mines broke =[

i wouldnt mind no hard drive, itll make for a cheaper launch price of the console (hopefully) and i dont mind memory cards cause then u can take ur saves with u to a friends house

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='NatakuARN']A Hard Drive is not costly; you can get 60-80 gig drives for around $50. Since Microsoft is such a large company they should be able to get bulk deals on the drives reducing the cost even further.[/quote]

Cost is cost. So long as it isn't free it adds to the bill of materials without being a critical component. While most of us Xbox owners appreciate the benefits of the hard drive they haven't translated into sales for Microsoft. Meanwhile, it is a very significant factor in making the Xbox more expensive to produce than a PS2 and consequently that much harder to make profitable when sold for the same price.

Even if they get the drives for as little as $20 per unit that is still a major added expense. You might have seen an unrelated but relevant Microsoft ad in which an IT guy goes around trying to get everyone excited because they reduced their transaction cost by a nickel. Most look at him as though he's mad until one exec considers that they do thousands of transactions a day. So those nickels very soon add up to serious money. It works the same way when you're manufacturing a product in the millions of units. IF you can cut the cost of a part by a nickel it's a big win.

So if you've got a part with a cost measured in tens of dollars and that part is found to be non-vital to the product's sales, what are the chances you're going to relegate that part to an optional status for the successor to the product?[/quote]

That wouldn’t explain the rumors of MS including large format flash memory in the next XBOX, Flash memory is far more expensive than hard drive technology.

[quote name='NatakuARN']

That wouldn’t explain the rumors of MS including large format flash memory in the next XBOX, Flash memory is far more expensive than hard drive technology.[/quote]

Flash memory is more expensive now but is getting cheaper every day. By the time xbox next is here I wouldn't be surprised if a gigabyte card was under $50. Also knowing microsoft they will sell it seperatley to get even more money from the consumer.

[quote name='NatakuARN']That wouldn’t explain the rumors of MS including large format flash memory in the next XBOX, Flash memory is far more expensive than hard drive technology.[/quote]

Any rumors that I have heard about using a large flash memory card did not say anything about it being included IN the next xb. Anything that I have heard pointed to flash cards as an external memory card solution to not having an HD. And that could potentially generate revenue from mem. card sales as well as lower the production cost of the next xb hardware.

The hard drive is the only thing that really set the xbox apart, it'll be interesting to see what M$ does here.

I'll probably buy one about a year, year and a half after it comes out. Just like the original, you see.

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='NatakuARN']That wouldn’t explain the rumors of MS including large format flash memory in the next XBOX, Flash memory is far more expensive than hard drive technology.[/quote]

Any rumors that I have heard about using a large flash memory card did not say anything about it being included IN the next xb. Anything that I have heard pointed to flash cards as an external memory card solution to not having an HD. And that could potentially generate revenue from mem. card sales as well as lower the production cost of the next xb hardware.[/quote]

I concur. I like having the hard drive, but I'd be happy with the flash card if it doesn't cost too much and it keeps the price of the Next Box hardware down.

They were talking about letting you attach a regular usb hard drive (not just one from MS) if they didn't include one. That wouldn't be so bad.

A Hard Drive is not costly; you can get 60-80 gig drives for around $50. Since Microsoft is such a large company they should be able to get bulk deals on the drives reducing the cost even further.

The problem is, hard drives do not get cheaper to make over time. It costs you the same to make an 8gb drive as it does an 80gb drive. Its a fixed cost, and when it comes time to drop your prices, some of your other parts might get cheaper,and you might be able to make a hardware revision that saves you money (like PS2 did) but that hard drive will just cost what it costs.

MS got an absolute sweetheart deal on those hard drives and its still a major issue for them.

They can’t just drop a great feature on us than take it away later. If including a Hard Drive in the current XBOX was going to loose them so much money in the long run than why must the consumer suffer in the next gen , they should have known that and not included it. One of the reasons I own the XBOX is the Hard Drive because it means no memory cards, faster load times, custom sound tracks, downloadable content, etc. Also if the storage medium in the next XBOX is optional as some say than developers won’t see a real need to utilize it in the way the Hard Drive is used in the current XBOX. I really hope of this no Hard Drive stuff is pure rumor because I just don’t see it as a good thing.

I will bet that launch price will still be $299. The fact is Microsoft lost a lot of money on the xbox so they will probably try and lower the hardware costs to save themselves money not the consumer!

Either way, buying a system up to 1 to 2 years is a poor choice. The prices are too inflated and there are only a handful of good games. Of course, some launch systems are faulty, like the PS2 DDE.

Of course, some launch systems are faulty, like the PS2 DDE.

Those aren't just launch systems, they all do that over time. fuck Sony for not fixing that.

The fact is Microsoft lost a lot of money on the xbox so they will probably try and lower the hardware costs to save themselves money not the consumer!

Well duh... Do you think that they're going to let themselves lose money forever? What would be worse for the consumer, Microsoft trying to make money (or to not lose money), or Microsoft leaving the console market altogether because it can't make any money? These big companies constantly trying to one up each other is a major benefit to the consumer.

I think a reason M$ might not go with a hardrive is cuz of all the modding. I seem to remember Bill Gates saying something some time along the lines of "This will NOT happen again." Right now, the 'box is the best for mods cuz the HD makes it possible to put your games right on the system. Plus, instead of custom parts, it uses stuff you can buy anywhere, so installing a new, bigger HD is no prob. Now, with Xbox Next, if there is no HD, and it uses one of the new DVD technologies (Which it WILL), then burning copies of games is out, and so is downloading/ripping to a Hard Drive.

yeah you have to remember MS will want more people to use LIVE then they do now. And where are people going to put all the DCL and Premium DLC that MS is going to pump out if the dont have a HD or built in memcard ? I am going to be shocked if the next xbox does not have some type of large data storage divice.

I hope they don't drop the HD. Therefore allowing the NEXTBox to have games with custom soundtracks. Just my two cents :lol:

There's really nothing "recent" about it, the no HD rumors have been going around for a long time now. I hope they leave it in there in some form, since it'll hurt a lot of what makes the current XBox so good if they dump it for the successor.

No matter what happens, there's no way I'm buying WHATEVER next-gen system I decide to purchase at launch. I bought a Dreamcast on morning of launch and an XBox at MIDNIGHT of launch...yes, the "wait in line" type deal.

The Dreamcast was ok, but it was dead in the water less than two years later, a pretty sad lifespan for a console. The XBox is the one that pissed me off. Paid 300 bucks for it, and LESS than 6 months later they had knocked the price down to 200.

Never again. Next time I buy a console I'm waiting for the big 3 to beat on each other and knock prices down. It won't take long in this market.

bread's done
Back