Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so.  There are rumors that Xbone has sRam yield problems, which is causing a low allotment amount for pre-orders at stores.  In addition to the $100 price difference, PS4 should handily outsell it this holiday unless those yield problems clear up or are false (I doubt they are).

I don't think so. There are rumors that Xbone has sRam yield problems, which is causing a low allotment amount for pre-orders at stores. In addition to the $100 price difference, PS4 should handily outsell it this holiday unless those yield problems clear up or are false (I doubt they are).
why handly if their is no problem. lets face it both system have giant fan base and it sucks to say but most young adults to young kids game on xbox. both systems will be hard to find this xmas season even if production is normal on both this will not be the wii u launch all over again. If ms never took out the drm and stuff away yes but now that's all gone it will be very close. plus if they had say a 299.99 system but need to have a live sub for two years that will do well i think.

Last edited by a moderator:
It never says anywhere that the XBone comes with a free year of live. You can get a year of live that comes in a stupid steelbook if you get it day one.
the thing that is confusing is that they show the image of that box on some site in system info. im set for live for like 3 years so don't affect me

i think x1 will be fine with the 500 doller price point also if you look at all you get with it the price tag is not that high. Yes most people don't want kinect but it's a good value. If you think about it in the end the ps4 is close to 500 dollers at launch also if you want to play online games and don't already have ps + that adds 50 bucks to the 400 so after tax your close to 500. i still think we will see a way less price sku for x1 that will require a month sub to xbox live.
OK, since no one else dealt with this I'll take it. Are you serious Timbo!? The X1 is $100 more than the PS4 no matter how you look at it. It may not matter to a lot of CAGs, but to the average Joe around the holidays that will be a big issue.

So according to you the PS4 is really $500 because you have to add PS+ and with tax (WTF, is the X1 tax-free?) that makes it the same $500 as the X1. Seriously!? Um, maybe you forgot about a thing called Xbox Live Gold which will be required for more features on the X1 (Netflix, etc, as well as possibly some of the TV stuff, who knows) than those for which PS+ is required on the PS4.

Applying your same logic evenly and fairly to both systems, the PS4 is $400 + $50 + (let's assume 8% sales tax) = $486. But the X1 is $500 + $60 + tax = $605. When you factor in $10 more for Gold and the sales tax, the difference is actually more than $100. Lest you forget, when you pay more for something (like the X1), you pay more tax as well :rofl:

I mean, seriously...

Now I do think the subscription service model with a cheaper base price might help them offset that because people don't seem to mind paying way more over the long run with monthly fees than they would up front.
lets do a example for a tablet. People buy their kids a 500-600 doller ipod for xmas when you can get a non apple product that does the same thing for like 300-400 dollers cheaper. The people that buy systems at launch are mostly hard core gamers or hard core fanboys. i think with this drm thing gone both these system will be neck and neck thsi holliday season.

might i add alot of states you don't pay tax on amazon till you report it on your taxes in spring

this day and age people buy product by name brand mostly and price for avg people is not a factor
MS doesn't have that must have image in the console market that apple does in the tablet. They've never been that dominant. They aren't dominant now.

Curious at what games folks are thinking about picking up at launch?
Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 would be my picks if I was getting it at launch. Holding off for TitanFall, Quantum Break, and Sunset Overdrive. Should give me enough time to see how the hardware holds up and maybe a bundle deal.

lets do a example for a tablet. People buy their kids a 500-600 doller ipod for xmas when you can get a non apple product that does the same thing for like 300-400 dollers cheaper. The people that buy systems at launch are mostly hard core gamers or hard core fanboys. i think with this drm thing gone both these system will be neck and neck thsi holliday season.
might i add alot of states you don't pay tax on amazon till you report it on your taxes in spring

this day and age people buy product by name brand mostly and price for avg people is not a factor
I can see the Kinect being worth the extra $100 for somebody that plans on getting it anyways. But for me I'm not a big Kinect fan so that $100 could be used for an extra controller, a game, a XBL Gold subscription, new gaming headset, or even an extended warranty.

It never says anywhere that the XBone comes with a free year of live. You can get a year of live that comes in a stupid steelbook if you get it day one.
the thing that is confusing is that they show the image of that box on some site in system info. im set for live for like 3 years so don't affect me

i think x1 will be fine with the 500 doller price point also if you look at all you get with it the price tag is not that high. Yes most people don't want kinect but it's a good value. If you think about it in the end the ps4 is close to 500 dollers at launch also if you want to play online games and don't already have ps + that adds 50 bucks to the 400 so after tax your close to 500. i still think we will see a way less price sku for x1 that will require a month sub to xbox live.
OK, since no one else dealt with this I'll take it. Are you serious Timbo!? The X1 is $100 more than the PS4 no matter how you look at it. It may not matter to a lot of CAGs, but to the average Joe around the holidays that will be a big issue.

So according to you the PS4 is really $500 because you have to add PS+ and with tax (WTF, is the X1 tax-free?) that makes it the same $500 as the X1. Seriously!? Um, maybe you forgot about a thing called Xbox Live Gold which will be required for more features on the X1 (Netflix, etc, as well as possibly some of the TV stuff, who knows) than those for which PS+ is required on the PS4.

Applying your same logic evenly and fairly to both systems, the PS4 is $400 + $50 + (let's assume 8% sales tax) = $486. But the X1 is $500 + $60 + tax = $605. When you factor in $10 more for Gold and the sales tax, the difference is actually more than $100. Lest you forget, when you pay more for something (like the X1), you pay more tax as well :rofl:

I mean, seriously...

Now I do think the subscription service model with a cheaper base price might help them offset that because people don't seem to mind paying way more over the long run with monthly fees than they would up front.

MS doesn't have that must have image in the console market that apple does in the tablet. They've never been that dominant. They aren't dominant now.
apple is a brand name that people would buy anything with apple on it. xbox has large following just like playstation that will help them at launch.

Curious at what games folks are thinking about picking up at launch?

right now i got watch dogs and ac4 pre order with my system. their is not one x1 only launch game im really looking forward to same thing with ps4. That is the reason why im not 100 percent getting a system on launch im thinking of putting that money towards all the good games for my pc.

Not at that insane level Apple does though, they have a virtual stranglehold on their market and there products are sold out for weeks if not months while even their best-selling competitors are almost never hard to buy. Yes, MS fans will carry MS through the launch and possibly the holiday season. After that, when the majority of people who have no product loyalty are looking at a new console to buy? They'll pick the $100 cheaper one that plays the same games.

Not at that insane level Apple does though, they have a virtual stranglehold on their market and there products are sold out for weeks if not months while even their best-selling competitors are almost never hard to buy. Yes, MS fans will carry MS through the launch and possibly the holiday season. After that, when the majority of people who have no product loyalty are looking at a new console to buy? They'll pick the $100 cheaper one that plays the same games.
which is why i think we will see a cheaper sku announced before launch or next spring.

which is why i think we will see a cheaper sku announced before launch or next spring.
I think Microsoft priced the Xbox One at $499.99 on purpose to prevent it from needing to drop the Xbox 360's retail price of $299.99. It creates a $200 barrier between the two devices so it doesn't eat into potential Xbox 360 sales for those who can't afford the Xbox One. Dropping the Xbox One's price so quickly also gives Microsoft a hard time to keep the price high for the remainder of the generation. It's been 8 years and the most expensive Xbox 360 sku still retails for $299.99. Guess how much the most expensive xbox 360 sku launched at? The Xbox 360 20GB Premium Edition launched at $399.99, lol.

I do see the opposite for Sony if they don't drop the PS3's retail price. People that plan on getting the PS3 will just be upsold for $100 more to the PS4.

The good thing is that X1 can be played offline which helps a lot with Kinect. It still doesn't make sense that you can't unplug it though.
I wonder what happens if the kinect malfunctions(it even has a vent for heat to escape now)... It is essentially like the Wii U tablet, a required accessory to use the console. Makes you wonder how much a Kinect 2.0, cost to replace.
Well the Kinect 1 was $150 to start, and if you go to the MS website It's $40 for a 2 year extended warranty just for the Kinect 1. My guess is Kinect 2 is $150 or so if they sold it by itself.

I'm more curious as toh ow much a extended 2 year warranty from MS will cost. I don't plan on getting a third party warranty, I want one directly from MS. The RROD warranty issues were a smooth process for me 1) Put in claim 2) Print out shipping label 3) Drop off at UPS 4) Get fixed system in about a week (granted my guess is 2-3 weeks for awhile with the XB1s)

Timbo, the hardcore gaming crowd is not what is going to sustain either system.  What I am saying is to the non-gamer (or parent buying for a gamer kid) looking to pick up one of the systems for this holiday and beyond (not at launch) the $100 makes a big difference.  That is all and it is pretty obvious and self-evident.  All your pricing comparisons don't mean squat to the people you are talking about anyway (ie, those who are loyal to either brand and don't own the other), so I'm not even sure why you brought it up if that was what you were talking about.

And no shit people can get stuff tax-free, but you were the one that added tax (and PS+) to the PS4 purchase to somehow make it out to be the same price as the X1 (as if that wouldn't have tax in the same scenario).  But wait - wouldn't that same hardcore gamer already have PS+?  Discussing stuff with you is like chasing your own tail :bomb:.

I think it just the new Kinect that is driving up the cost to $499.
it 100 percent is

Timbo, the hardcore gaming crowd is not what is going to sustain either system. What I am saying is to the non-gamer (or parent buying for a gamer kid) looking to pick up one of the systems for this holiday and beyond (not at launch) the $100 makes a big difference. That is all and it is pretty obvious and self-evident. All your pricing comparisons don't mean squat to the people you are talking about anyway (ie, those who are loyal to either brand and don't own the other), so I'm not even sure why you brought it up if that was what you were talking about.

And no shit people can get stuff tax-free, but you were the one that added tax (and PS+) to the PS4 purchase to somehow make it out to be the same price as the X1 (as if that wouldn't have tax in the same scenario). But wait - wouldn't that same hardcore gamer already have PS+? Discussing stuff with you is like chasing your own tail :bomb:.
most parents bu a new thing of what thier kid already has. kid tells their parent mom/dad i want the new video game system out never says what one and parents go into store and say oh a new xbox is out or ps4 and they would be like well they have to old one lets get them the new one. I know when it comes to my kids i mostly buy them the newest toy out when they have the same kind but older seeing i know they will like it.

i was locked on ps4 at launch bc of the price and drm thing now that ms took away all that im torn between the two. one had all my friends i play mp with have xbox live but they are not getting a x1 at launch. The other had ps4 is more cheaper and im still scared on what ms might do down the line.

That's what I think as well, I might be missing something here but I honestly dont understand why the Xbox One can't function without the Kinect plugged in. If someone does then please enlighten me. I'm hoping they'll flip another switch and offer a SKU without one.

If people complain enough they will end up folding to the Kinect issue, but otherwise, and it's looking like this so far, it will remain in place. They MAY have a console bundle that doesn't have Kinect but I highly doubt it since the console seemingly relies on Kinect being active, so basically the bundle would only be of use for the handful of people who owned Kinect on the 360.

I don't think so. There are rumors that Xbone has sRam yield problems, which is causing a low allotment amount for pre-orders at stores. In addition to the $100 price difference, PS4 should handily outsell it this holiday unless those yield problems clear up or are false (I doubt they are).
Can you point me to the source that says yield problems are on the sRam not the processor?
I remember it was the processor, I even quoted this in my lectures on yield enhancement.
RAM defect tolerance has been more or less solved, through the use of redundant rows/columns, ECC and recently OS disabling techniques. Not doubting what you said, but I am just curious since one of my interest is in yield enhancement.

That's what I think as well, I might be missing something here but I honestly dont understand why the Xbox One can't function without the Kinect plugged in. If someone does then please enlighten me. I'm hoping they'll flip another switch and offer a SKU without one.
If the Kinect isn't there you can't slide screens to switch from gaming to TV. Also, you can't say "Xbox On"

If the Kinect learns your voice, I can just imagine people trying to trick you into saying "XBox Off"

Gamer: Yay! XBox!

Gamer's sibling: Mom said turn your XBox off.

Gamer: I am not turning my XBox off!

*Xbox turns off.*

Gamer: DAMMIT! >.<

The casual gaming crowd loves Call of Duty.

What platform do they associate CoD with? Xbox.

That right there tells me that regardless of how much it is, they'll be getting a X1... since it will be a Xmas gift anyway.

That right there tells me that regardless of how much it is, they'll be getting a X1... since it will be a Xmas gift anyway.
This make no sense at all.

Can you point me to the source that says yield problems are on the sRam not the processor?
I remember it was the processor, I even quoted this in my lectures on yield enhancement.
RAM defect tolerance has been more or less solved, through the use of redundant rows/columns, ECC and recently OS disabling techniques. Not doubting what you said, but I am just curious since one of my interest is in yield enhancement.
About a month ago I was told by an unnamed source that Microsoft was having heating issues with the Xbox One. There wasn’t enough details to go forward with a story so it was kept under wraps until more information surfaced on this issue. Today, a completely different source close to the Xbox One project, informed me that Microsoft will have to under clock the Xbox One about 100-200mhz to fix the systems heating issues.

What does this mean to developers? Well we already know that the PS4 is more of a powerhouse than the Xbox One. It has faster RAM and bus bandwidth than the Xbox One already. Under clocking the system will widen the gap between the two consoles, but at the same time will keep the failure rate on the Xbox One very low. The last thing we need is another RRoD fiasco. In terms of games, you will see a significant difference in multiplatform titles. Lower clock speed means lower frame rates. This means that a game running 60fps on PS4 may only run at 30fps on Xbox One. Even given the current specs, this would probably still be the case except now we are under clocking the GPU. This could affect other things like the Peak Shader Throughput. If Minecraft were to be released for both Xbox One and PS4, you’d see no difference. A game like Battlefield 4 my run at a lower framerate on the Xbox One than it does on the PS4.

We still don’t know how much the eSRAM is going to boost or hinder performance of the Xbox One. We also can’t leave out the fact that every developer, every game and every engine runs differently. They could theoretically boost frame rates on the Xbox One to match PS4 by turning off AA effects and lowering resolution.

I’ve received this information from two different sources, but I would still chalk it up as a rumor until we are able to get more information from Microsoft. Things could still change between now and launch. I wouldn’t worry too much about this problem because under clocking the system is the safest route to go when issues like this arise. The biggest test will be when Digital Foundry gets their hands on the first multiplatform next generation title.

http://www.stfuandplay.com/story/content/microsoft-under-clocking-xbox-one-by-100-200mhz

Gamer: Yay! XBox!
Gamer's sibling: Mom said turn your XBox off.

Gamer: I am not turning my XBox off!

*Xbox turns off.*

Gamer: DAMMIT! >.<
:twisted: :lol:

Total Units

North America: 7.55m 61.1%
+ Europe: 3.56m 28.8%
+ Japan: 0.04m 0.3%
+ Rest of the World: 1.20m 9.7%
= Global 12.35m

North America: 4.36m 42.1%
+ Europe: 3.88m 37.4%
+ Japan: 0.47m 4.5%
+ Rest of the World: 1.65m 15.9%
= Global 10.36m

Top, 360. Bottom, PS3.

The CoD franchise has always dominated sales in the US on the 360. It is associated with the platform in a way it's simply not for PS3.

Regardless of if you'd like to admit it or not, CoD is a force unto itself, in a way that is every publishers wet dream. It will push consoles, and since it gets the DLC's earlier then PS4.. it will most certainly push the X1 as well.

Go around and talk to the CoD folks. The fact that the DLC's are exclusive for X1 at first is a massive selling point.

Total Units

= Global 12.35m

= Global 10.36m

Top, 360. Bottom, PS3.

The CoD franchise has always dominated sales in the US on the 360. It is associated with the platform in a way it's simply not for PS3.

Regardless of if you'd like to admit it or not, CoD is a force unto itself, in a way that is every publishers wet dream. It will push consoles, and since it gets the DLC's earlier then PS4.. it will most certainly push the X1 as well.

Go around and talk to the CoD folks. The fact that the DLC's are exclusive for X1 at first is a massive selling point.
Well Call of Duty Ghost is available to the 360 and PS3 too. Most casual gamers will not spend another $400 or $500 just to play the latest version when they can just spend $60 for the same version in their eyes.

The DLC would only make a difference for the hardcore, they are the ones who buy that stuff. Again, those people with no brand loyalty see 2 systems that look pretty much the same, both play COD & Madden and one is $100 cheaper? No brainer. And yeah, I don't think those more casual gamers will buy a new system when they can play it on their current ones, the leap just isn't there in graphical prowess. Modern Warfare came out when both systems were pretty well established, I don't think it will move units when it's not next-gen exclusive.

I don't know if I would call them the "casual" gamer crowd, more so the "dudebro" gamer crowd, but yes I agree.

This, and the fact that they want to keep their awesome "xxweed420xx" gamertag, will entice a lot of people to go with the X1.

Not sure if this enough to flock from the 360 to the X1 this year though. If the number of online 360 players drop enough, I can see more hold outs jumping over too.

Well if anything the Vita proved people won't pay $250 + $50 just for one game that relates to Call of Duty. Though the XBox One would prove me wrong and then some. Though It's true in the US, the XBox brand is much more recognizable  when it comes to shooters, especially Call of Duty. Really the main reason people bought COD for PS3 in the US outside of only owning a PS3 was the free online play, or so my friends told me... and we all know where that's going next gen.

Supposedly the XB1 is also going to have dedicated servers, correct? Would be a solid reason to play online over the PS4, imho. But people will keep rubbing PSN+ in our faces till MS decides to counter it permanently (which they probably won't).

it 100 percent is

most parents bu a new thing of what thier kid already has. kid tells their parent mom/dad i want the new video game system out never says what one and parents go into store and say oh a new xbox is out or ps4 and they would be like well they have to old one lets get them the new one. I know when it comes to my kids i mostly buy them the newest toy out when they have the same kind but older seeing i know they will like it.
If this were remotely true the PS3 would have been a massive hit right out of the gates( based on the 120m PS2 owners who were guaranteed to buy a PS3, right?) and the 360 would have been left in the dust coming off their 20m Xbox install base. Price matters, and average consumers have no loyalty and have no problem jumping ship.

Total Units

= Global 12.35m

= Global 10.36m

Top, 360. Bottom, PS3.

Sales figures would make sense in a vacuum but in the real world game sales are based on install base. Since the 360 dominated in the US, 99% of multiplat games sold better on the 360. Does that mean every game is associated with 360?

Thanks htz, that is very interesting information, but not quite I was looking for.

Regarding this article, I didn't know MS was facing heating issues. The yield problem deals with the number of chips that come out to be defective from the manufacturing. This, and the effort to test for these defective chips is a major pain and cost for IC manufactuters. Last I heard the "Oban" processor was having yield issues, which then the subject died of either because they fixed it somehow, or because of the lack of news sources, since yield data is highly sensitive information for companies.

I don't know if I would call them the "casual" gamer crowd, more so the "dudebro" gamer crowd, but yes I agree.

This, and the fact that they want to keep their awesome "xxweed420xx" gamertag, will entice a lot of people to go with the X1.

Not sure if this enough to flock from the 360 to the X1 this year though. If the number of online 360 players drop enough, I can see more hold outs jumping over too.
Well, the dudebro crowd is kinda casual. You know, get together Saturday night, pay some CoD or Halo or what have you.

I just can't see a situation where the PS4 dominates the X1 in sales. The price difference is fine and all, but it's $100. Absolutely nothing to a "dudebro" or to a mom buying a xmas gift for her kids. I mean, the average american family spends around $800 during Christmas. Sound's about right for a nice X1 and a game or two dosent it, plus a few hundred left over.

With so many shooters being associated with the platform, not only CoD but Halo... and with shooters clearly dominating the US market, it strikes me as a reach to think this wont be a close race.

Well, the dudebro crowd is kinda casual. You know, get together Saturday night, pay some CoD or Halo or what have you.

I just can't see a situation where the PS4 dominates the X1 in sales. The price difference is fine and all, but it's $100. Absolutely nothing to a "dudebro" or to a mom buying a xmas gift for her kids. I mean, the average american family spends around $800 during Christmas. Sound's about right for a nice X1 and a game or two dosent it, plus a few hundred left over.

With so many shooters being associated with the platform, not only CoD but Halo... and with shooters clearly dominating the US market, it strikes me as a reach to think this wont be a close race.
Well figure this: $400 plus tax (8% where I am at) is 432. $500 plus tax is 540. So for the price of the X1 plus game I can get the PS4 and about 3 games. $100 is a big difference when your shopping smart. And it really comes down to who will be the first to launch, IMHO.

This will determine the base sales in the US more so than preorders. (Not to mention the preorders for the PS4 are killing the X1).

Besides Americans also spend their money on various other gifts during Xmas, and $500 is a hefty price tag to drop on one item on Xmas. They also don't spend all $800 in one day, either. This number is spread thruout the entire holiday shopping season.

Yeah assuming the $800 is correct that's a huge chunk of that when they have multiple people to buy gifts for. It's also important to remember we are a VERY different economy than we were when the last generation launched and even then most families went for the cheapest option. People are trying to stretch their dollars a lot further these days. I also think that the Xbox One being very US centric will hurt it quite a bit in worldwide sales. They already do no business in Japan, and they don't have one Euro-friendly feature and are even more expensive over there. America isn't all that matters in terms of sales. You also have the yearlong head start and terrible launch by Sony to factor in to the last generation. There are no such factors here. Sony has huge goodwill and will be released at about the same time with a better price point. MS has lost virtually all of it's advantages this time around.

Yeah assuming the $800 is correct that's a huge chunk of that when they have multiple people to buy gifts for. It's also important to remember we are a VERY different economy than we were when the last generation launched and even then most families went for the cheapest option. People are trying to step their dollars a lot further these days. I also think that the Xbox One being very US centric will hurt it quite a bit in worldwide sales. They already do no business in Japan, and they don't have one Euro-friendly feature and are even more expensive over there. America isn't all that matters in terms of sales. You also have the yearlong head start and terrible launch by Sony to factor in to the last generation. There are no such factors here. Sony has huge goodwill and will be released at about the same time with a better price point. MS has lost virtually all of it's advantages this time around.
This was last year's figure, 2012.. not when the last generation of consoles dropped. If you compare 05 and 2012 (cant do 13 yet of course), they come out around the same. $800-850 vs $900-925 depending upon where your looking at the surveys.

As to Europe, both consoles are giving the shaft to EU for features, so I dont see why that should be up for discussion. For example they just recently said Gaiki has "no timetable" for Europe currently, and will be North America only at first. (2015 possibly for EU?)

While you say MS has lost all its advantages, I'd say it's gained since last time. As a example, when the 360 entered the market.. Sony had the market by the balls. Far more so then Microsoft currently does. (I mean, we are talking a 3 or 5:1 lead here, depending upon time frame)

Now? Hell no. The 360 evened that gap, so that both consoles are virtually tied, and Microsoft is now the name on the lips of the average consumer when they talk about consoles. While Sony has rabid internet fanboys, it's actual push toward what the mainstream wants has always been lacking. While Microsoft has taken the "dude bro" or whatever you guys want to term it approach and been extremely successful, and looks to continue that trend.

Ok Sony had the market by the balls? Does MS? No, they don't. If they even have the market (I'm pretty sure recent figures show otherwise, at least worldwide), it's a pretty slim lead it's not going to take much to lose it and they've got a ton of negatives going for them-The message is already out there-People will still think it doesn't play used games because it was on Jimmy Fallon and don't pay that close attention.

I like the new avatar btw :)

The only one who has the market by the balls is Wii really, but it's hard to tell currently this far into both consoles life span who really "won" the round of the two we are discussing. MS continues to do extremely well in the US, while Sony does well elsewhere, just like always. (40 Mil vs 24 Mil in the US, MS/Sony, 31 Mil vs 24 Mil Sony/MS in EU)

We'll see I guess... I'd be shocked if both do not sell out completely their first initial order, and probably continue to be hot sellers all the way to Christmas. If I had to make a prediction, I'd say the X1 will again dominate the US sales charts, while the PS4 will dominate the EU.

We'll see I guess... I'd be shocked if both do not sell out completely their first initial order, and probably continue to be hot sellers all the way to Christmas. If I had to make a prediction, I'd say the X1 will again dominate the US sales charts, while the PS4 will dominate the EU.
I agree on the first part, both will sell very well and will sell out initially. I however think you are underestimating the $100 cheaper price of the PS4. I think the cheaper price will override brand loyalty for a lot of people. I'd personally be very surprised if the X1 outsells the PS4 anywhere. I of course could be underestimating brand loyalty and even as I type this I am acutely aware that I'm only buying the X1 first because of my own brand loyalty which kinda flys in the face of my previous statement.

Thanks htz, that is very interesting information, but not quite I was looking for.

Regarding this article, I didn't know MS was facing heating issues. The yield problem deals with the number of chips that come out to be defective from the manufacturing. This, and the effort to test for these defective chips is a major pain and cost for IC manufactuters. Last I heard the "Oban" processor was having yield issues, which then the subject died of either because they fixed it somehow, or because of the lack of news sources, since yield data is highly sensitive information for companies.
Yeah I provided you the wrong article, my bad. The heat issue/downclock rumor isn't even true.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/315885-xbox-one-will-not-require-internet-restrict-used-games/?p=10850592

^Click on the neogaf link provided by Trakan in that post. It should provide you more information on the yield issues.

People keep talking about $100 mattering and a person will select the PS4 over the Xbox because of this. 

During the holiday season, this is false. Both consoles will be hard to find and when people buy for their kids or significant others this holiday, $100 doesn't matter. 

Early on until the consoles are both steadily supplied, the price means nada.

Yeah I provided you the wrong article, my bad. The heat issue/downclock rumor isn't even true.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/315885-xbox-one-will-not-require-internet-restrict-used-games/?p=10850592
^Click on the neogaf link provided by Trakan in that post. It should provide you more information on the yield issues.
Thanks htz, this is somewhat interesting to me, according to my knowledge, ESRAM technically should not have yield issues, unless they rushed the design. At this point either they solved it, or going to power through the yield issue by selling at a loss, in hopes to capture the market. If it is the latter, there is no way I will buy at launch, because immature manufacturing process will result in very high in field failure rates and accelerated circuit aging. But I doubt I will find any concrete info on this.

Thanks htz, this is somewhat interesting to me, according to my knowledge, ESRAM technically should not have yield issues, unless they rushed the design. At this point either they solved it, or going to power through the yield issue by selling at a loss, in hopes to capture the market. If it is the latter, there is no way I will buy at launch, because immature manufacturing process will result in very high in field failure rates and accelerated circuit aging. But I doubt I will find any concrete info on this.
Xbox one uses APU which is a really big die that needs to house the cpu, gpu AND in xbox one's case also the ESRAM which takes up a huge amount of transistors and therefor physical space on the chip.
They end up with little hardware power yet a huge (5 billion transistor) die, so they have low yields.
Normally low end hardware only takes a tiny little die so yields are good, but for some reason that either MS engineers or suits/beancounters can only know they decided to go for this huge ass APU with esram.

From my limited knowledge Sony ended up with a lot more bang for their buck... they put their die space into a bit more gpu power and didn't design their apu around needing esram (since they didn't cheap out on the vram, which is a collection of seperate chips that are embedded on a PCB and connected to the APU through a memory bus)
Meanwhile MS seems to have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

-http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61361957&postcount=939

If this will be a rrod like issue repeat, Don Mattrick can say goodbye to his job.

Don't forget that Microsoft will probably spend a few hundred million at least on advertising. They will blanket tv just before launch to promote it. Worked for the Kinect.

The DLC would only make a difference for the hardcore, they are the ones who buy that stuff. Again, those people with no brand loyalty see 2 systems that look pretty much the same, both play COD & Madden and one is $100 cheaper? No brainer. And yeah, I don't think those more casual gamers will buy a new system when they can play it on their current ones, the leap just isn't there in graphical prowess. Modern Warfare came out when both systems were pretty well established, I don't think it will move units when it's not next-gen exclusive.
the problem is most causal cod players have people they play with and those people stick with xbox systems and get xbox one they will not switch to ps4 just because of cheaper price.

the problem is most causal cod players have people they play with and those people stick with xbox systems and get xbox one they will not switch to ps4 just because of cheaper price.
Unless their band of brothers decide to jump ship as well.

Unless their band of brothers decide to jump ship as well.
that's what i met by if those people

plus we have yet to see what psn now looks like they say their is party chat and what not but if it stil lthat you have to add people to friends list to invite to game like ps3 it's still a failed online service. Thats one advantage on xbox live and why i play all my mp games on 360 is the great party chat and game invite system it has.

Xbox one uses APU which is a really big die that needs to house the cpu, gpu AND in xbox one's case also the ESRAM which takes up a huge amount of transistors and therefor physical space on the chip.

They end up with little hardware power yet a huge (5 billion transistor) die, so they have low yields.
Normally low end hardware only takes a tiny little die so yields are good, but for some reason that either MS engineers or suits/beancounters can only know they decided to go for this huge ass APU with esram.

From my limited knowledge Sony ended up with a lot more bang for their buck... they put their die space into a bit more gpu power and didn't design their apu around needing esram (since they didn't cheap out on the vram, which is a collection of seperate chips that are embedded on a PCB and connected to the APU through a memory bus)
Meanwhile MS seems to have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

-http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61361957&postcount=939

If this will be a rrod like issue repeat, Don Mattrick can say goodbye to his job.
Thanks again htz, I don't follow neogaf (I can only do one forum, which is CAG) so I appreciate you pointing me to the info. What the poster explained about the yield and defect issue is true, though I usually use a different approach to explain yield.

Now, I am still in the blind about XBOX and PS4's physical layout (which is of course, should be the case) despite having access to most paid subscription tech journals. According to the poster that you quoted, XBOX uses a APU that is large in die size, which causes yield issues. That is true, but

(1) If the large size is mainly due to making the SRAM on die, then it would make no sense to me. There are many, many techniques to enhance the yield on RAMs, that is used in industry now. It is also a well research area. Basically, because of highly regular structure, some "spares", so to speak, can address this problem well.

(2) If Sony decided to house the the majority RAM off die, then they are loosing on performance. On die RAM performances blows off die RAM performance out of the water. Same goes with the on-die integration of CPU and GPU, it has a lot of advantages if done right, despite the problem it poses to yield. Typically, the first thing that comes to the designer's mind should be diminished yield when designing a chip that takes up so much die area, then they consult with the DFT and DFM engineers for ways to improve yield. I'm very sure that any engineer would have known this, the only reason for them botching the yield I could think of is the pressure from the "suits" that has been imposed on the engineers.

So basically, the larger the die, the lower the yield, the higher risk of overheating, the better the performance. Neither Sony or Microsoft can break the fundamentals of IC design, so the only "edge" that one side can gain is from early development and seamless corporation and communication between the design team, the manufacturing team, and the marketing team. I am very interested in how this plays out, and hopefully some employee will leak some tech news soon enough :devil:

I do agree that both will probably sell out this holiday season, the real test will probably next holiday season, when you start getting mostly next-gen only games and possibly a price drop or at least some really good holiday deals. I didn't jump the gun on the 360 till they were offering $50 giftcards the following year.

I wonder if this guy would switch to PS3 to save a hundred bucks?

https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Profile?gamertag=Stallion83
Doubtful, especially due to the "last playing windows phone" activity log. Still, people that I work with that are huge Xbox fanboys, people who initially were super excited just to hear there might be a new console, are now torn between the two. The price difference and slightly more powerful hardware do make a difference to some of the dudebro crowd.

Maybe it's a getting older thing, but I stopped caring about achievements/trophies a couple years ago. But then I've never been a completionist in the first place. I might do a few side things, but mostly I just beat the main story and move on to the next game with very few exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back