Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='itachiitachi']They can already do that on their current system.

Oh I forgot that once a company shows any sign of support for a system they can't pull support from a console if they do something they don't like , so when are all those EA games due out on the WiiU?[/QUOTE]

gamestop seen this stuff coming for years. Why do you think gamestop now sells things like ipads and iphones plus they get tons of money from digital games now and other things. they would still make tons of new game sales. People will still buy used games im sure the fee will be like ten bucks not a big deal.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']the price will not be high like people think my guess is both will fall between 400-500. they know the economy is not like what it was in say 2005. if these things came out then they would be like 700-800 bucks. wii u is having issues selling at 350[/QUOTE]

Seeing as how they are the Xbox now with a 2 year contract. What is to say they won't try the same thing with Xbox One?

Maybe 500-600 with out a contract and 200-300 with a 2 year contract.

[quote name='tokyostomp']The most pertinent question is how are avatars going to be represented in the new XO[/QUOTE]

I say a more realistic appearance if Kinect sensor can do what they claim.

i know the 3 gamestops in my area over last year or seems like their used game area keeps getting smaller and smaller seems like gamestop has been going away from used game sales for awhile now.

[quote name='willardhaven']My question was directed more at the fact that PS3 developed games are ported to 360 and vice-versa. Won't the Xbox One and 360 be more similar than the PS3 and 360?

It would be wise of Microsoft (and Sony for that matter) to create the "sandbox" software you mentioned in order to avoid competing with their own consoles. At least 1 generation of BC helps usher people into the new generation.

Thanks for the reply. It was interesting.[/QUOTE]
Sure, it's closer, but that doesn't mean it's any easier. They'd still have to do a lot of work to make it work, which could be better spent on making sure the new features they are working on work as well as they can. Being able to make the suggestion doesn't make it any easier to actually do it since the PS4 and Xbox One may not be powerful enough to emulate their predecessor, especially when they're on different hardware architecture.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']i know the 3 gamestops in my area over last year or seems like their used game area keeps getting smaller and smaller seems like gamestop has been going away from used game sales for awhile now.[/QUOTE]

Mine too, the trays with the cheaper used games are getting smaller or have disappeared completely

[quote name='Shimrra']Seeing as how they are the Xbox now with a 2 year contract. What is to say they won't try the same thing with Xbox One?

Maybe 500-600 with out a contract and 200-300 with a 2 year contract.[/QUOTE]

i think i would do the contract rout seeing i always have live anyways would not mind to save couple hundred bucks

I dont care for Kinect, I hate rumble packs on controllers, I do not play fantasy football or any other of that nonsense. If the used game fee is any more than $5 I may not bother with this console. Maybe once I hear what the 8 new exclusive IPs coming to the One will be I will change my mind.

Already heard about the differences in architecture a few weeks ago but when they mentioned "300k" servers, was hoping that the next talking point would be an Onlive type service for backwards compatibility of retail and arcade games.

fuck

Phil Harrison says, yes, there is a fee to play the game on a different console.
And not just any fee. The full price of the game.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison says.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

Who to believe.... Xbox Support twitter rep, or Phil Harrison, MS VP.

^^ normally i'd say the same thing about kotaku, but they did speak to him
And Phil said the same thing to Eurogamer.

[quote name='bardockkun']My only problem is that the source is Kotaku...[/QUOTE]
Not when it is sourced from Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison.

[quote name='dallow']Who to believe.... Xbox Support twitter rep, or Phil Harrison, MS VP.

And Phil said the same thing to Eurogamer.[/QUOTE]

I think they are playing semantics. There are no "fees" because your friend is paying the price of the game.

[quote name='htz']Not when it is sourced from Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison.[/QUOTE]

Although Microsoft support has said that kotaku and other sources were misinformed and they are currently working to fix that.

[quote name='WolfmanASTN']Although Microsoft support has said that kotaku and other sources were misinformed and they are currently working to fix that.[/QUOTE]
Isn't the vice president higher up the food chain?

I was going to post that Kotaku link, but beaten. Just...that's insane. Are they really talking about doubling up on the price of retail games? BULLSHIT.

Jumping in the thread as an unbiased owner of both the 360 and PS3:

Can someone explain to me how the Xbox One announcement was a failure? Aside from the looks of the console (hello Betamax!), I don't understand the hate that I'm reading on other websites... cough... ign... cough...

I saw Sony's stock jump, which may or may not be related, and a bunch of folks saying how the One is doomed and PS4 has prevailed. I honestly, in my heart of hearts, don't understand the flames.

[quote name='dallow']Phil Harrison says, yes, there is a fee to play the game on a different console.
And not just any fee. The full price of the game.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825[/QUOTE]

This is beyond confusing

So I can trade in my game code through some yet to be determined, (likely) Microsoft run program (hello shitty trade-in values with no competition). The disc is something separate though which could be given to a friend who, in order to use it, has to pay full price. Well, this really begs the question, if my friend has to pay full price anyway, why not just buy a brand new copy at the store instead of a used copy?

Really, this is just coming across as a way of tricking consumers into thinking there isn't completely obtrusive, anti-consumer DRM in this thing. Like someone said earlier, at least now we know why EA dropped online passes, because every game will effectively support a sort of super online pass which functions at an OS level.

Good god, what happens when we start having printing problems with the codes that come with the games? Which has already happened many times this generation. This is beyond fucked.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Well I still like my 360. Also, no way the PS4 does not do this also.[/QUOTE]
Sony president already said second hand games will play without restrictions.

I personally don't buy second hand games, but I do lend my games out to friends and family a lot.
That's a bummer.

Other users on the console will be able to play that game as well, Harrison said. So you don't need to buy multiple games per family. "With the built-in parental controls of the system it is shared amog the users of the device," he said.

Well that solves maybe the biggest issue if that is true.

i would not mind that 60 doller tag if say a friend watns to install the game on the hd then it's fine but if you can't even take a game to your friends or anyone else house just to play it on their xbox one without paying a fee it's complete garbage

[quote name='htz']Isn't the vice president higher up the food chain?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the other articles that said there was a few got their info from him as we'll, and those ones have already been corrected.

Plus I haven't been able to find another source to confirm what is in the Kotaku article.

[quote name='dallow']Who to believe.... Xbox Support twitter rep, or Phil Harrison, MS VP.

And Phil said the same thing to Eurogamer.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='htz']Not when it is sourced from Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but Kotaku is also known for misquoting people for the sake of getting more hits AKA the Gawker mentality. That's why I never trust a word off that site.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Jumping in the thread as an unbiased owner of both the 360 and PS3:

Can someone explain to me how the Xbox One announcement was a failure? Aside from the looks of the console (hello Betamax!), I don't understand the hate that I'm reading on other websites... cough... ign... cough...

I saw Sony's stock jump, which may or may not be related, and a bunch of folks saying how the One is doomed and PS4 has prevailed. I honestly, in my heart of hearts, don't understand the flames.[/QUOTE]
It was a failure because it was basically an E3 press conference from the last 4 years (new features to make the XBox integral to YOUR living room, EA Sports titles, Call of Duty), but for a new next gen console and it answered none of the questions that have been hounding the console for months.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Bye bye Gamefly, Gamestop and any companies that try to profit off used games.[/QUOTE]

Well there's definitely still the handhelds, Wii U, and (possibly) PS4. Really, if it ends up being just Xbox One that does this, it'll likely only hurt Microsoft with consumer adoption and those gaming dollars will still go to the other systems. If PS4 does follow suit though, then we're potentially looking at the end of Gamefly and Gamestop.

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Wow, the Xbox One is pretty neat. Will I have to rewind the games when I buy them or what? I wish the PS4 was backwards compatible with VHS. 8D[/QUOTE]

People keep mentioning VHS, but I keep seeing Johnny 5.

So effectively, games will require internet activation via a serial key.
You can't really lend games anymore.

And this internal solution that Phil mentions, sounds like MS making their own trade in/used service, cutting out everyone altogether.

[quote name='WolfmanASTN']Yeah, but the other articles that said there was a few got their info from him as we'll, and those ones have already been corrected.

Plus I haven't been able to find another source to confirm what is in the Kotaku article.[/QUOTE]

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-xbox-one-second-hand-games-will-charge-a-fee-to-play

It looks like the only major differences on the new controller is the Multitasking button (formerly Back) and Options button (formerly Start). I'm surprised that both systems are throwing out those buttons after several generations of tradition and increasing weirdness that they didn't make any sense.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']People keep mentioning VHS, but I keep seeing Johnny 5.[/QUOTE]

So is Xbox One Alive?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well there's definitely still the handhelds, Wii U, and (possibly) PS4. Really, if it ends up being just Xbox One that does this, it'll likely only hurt Microsoft with consumer adoption and those gaming dollars will still go to the other systems. If PS4 does follow suit though, then we're potentially looking at the end of Gamefly and Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop will do what they did with EA and cut a deal. Gamestop might be the only place to buy used games.

After reading this thread and multiple websites: It's probably better to assume it isn't companies like GF and GS that need to fear losing business - it's MS itself.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']People keep mentioning VHS, but I keep seeing Johnny 5.[/QUOTE]
If they had renamed it the Microsoft Johnny 5 Box and when you turned it on it said "Johnny 5...is alive!" Then it'd be a day one purchase, no question.

[quote name='dallow']So effectively, games will require internet activation via a serial key.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-xbox-one-second-hand-games-will-charge-a-fee-to-play[/QUOTE]

It almost seems like having the disc in the machine running it will not require the game code but if you want to install it then you have to have, or purchase, a game code? I dunno, this is all a little too anti-consumer for me and will likely be the single biggest reason I won't be purchasing an Xbox One.

[quote name='dallow']So effectively, games will require internet activation via a serial key.
You can't really lend games anymore.

And this internal solution that Phil mentions, sounds like MS making their own trade in/used service, cutting out everyone altogether.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-xbox-one-second-hand-games-will-charge-a-fee-to-play[/QUOTE]

Check the source again, under the most recent update they mention there will not be a fee to let friends borrow and play games. They even cite the Xbox support twitter as the source for it.

Check the source again, under the most recent update they mention there will not be a fee to let friends borrow and play games. They even cite the Xbox support twitter as the source for it.

I've already made my comments about Xbox Support twitter known.
I'm pointing out that Phil has made the same comments to another source.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']It almost seems like having the disc in the machine running it will not require the game code but if you want to install it then you have to have, or purchase, a game code? I dunno, this is all a little too anti-consumer for me and will likely be the single biggest reason I won't be purchasing an Xbox One.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's probably the main issue that needs to be 100% clarified.

PS3 brought-in a similar feature when Vita games with cross-play came out. If you inserted the disc (EX: PSASBR) it would automatically update your account with the Vita version and it'd remove access to it from future users. So it'll probably be like that.

[quote name='bardockkun']It was a failure because it was basically an E3 press conference from the last 4 years (new features to make the XBox integral to YOUR living room, EA Sports titles, Call of Duty), but for a new next gen console and it answered none of the questions that have been hounding the console for months.[/QUOTE]
Honest questions:

1. What questions didn't they answer that have been hounding it?
2. Which questions did Sony answer that Microsoft did not?

I felt like I learned way more about the Xbox One than I did about the PS4 during its reveal.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Gamestop will do what they did with EA and cut a deal. Gamestop might be the only place to buy used games.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but seeing as how Gamestop's stock dropped 5% since the Xbox One press conference so the idea that their business model could be affected is certainly a pressing issue to investors.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Bye bye Gamefly, Gamestop and any companies that try to profit off used games.[/QUOTE]

gamestop has been pulling away from used game sales for while by selling ipads and what not they will be fine with system and new game sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back