Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='confoosious']"Exactly" like 1984? My god the hyperbole. Did you read 1984 or just the wiki entry?

Will Microsoft come to your house and black bag you (yes I'm mixing references) if you cover up your kinect camera? Or unplug your system?[/QUOTE]
Yes I read the book some time ago. Obviously I'm referring to the ability to always watch into your living room as being the 1984 part. It's not hyperbole to say that. It's hyperbole to expand the meaning of my statement into the entire book. I don't even live in England man.

[quote name='simmias']I hear we'll all have to watch a two-minute video every morning showing the evils of Sony, the hacker community and used games, and the Kinect will monitor if we are showing sufficient hatred.[/QUOTE]
So you don't think your conversations are being recorded? You're too worried about game companies. If you really think having a camera and mic in your living room always on is a good thing then I don't even know what to say. Just so you can say "Xbox On" instead of using the guide button?

Right now I've got a 360 in our bedroom. Wouldn't you especially want to have an Xbox One with all it's TV stuff hooked to the bedroom TV? But Kinect is required. Not going to happen. It's like they just didn't think this stuff through.

Actually, a friend of mine proposed that they could provide a discounted price for the Xbox One if you give Microsoft the rights to sell your Kinect Voyeur Cam. LOL!

[quote name='confoosious']"Exactly" like 1984? My god the hyperbole. Did you read 1984 or just the wiki entry?

Will Microsoft come to your house and black bag you (yes I'm mixing references) if you cover up your kinect camera? Or unplug your system?[/QUOTE]

While I don't endorse the hyperbole of how invasive the kinect camera can be, the fact that it is still there in a low power state potentially collecting information, even for something as innocuous as advertising, still bothers me.

On another note, just saw on Joystiq that the NFL deal is worth $400 million over 5 years. Even with all that money they couldn't get Goodell to show up in person. With that kind of money I would hope Microsoft secured rights to broadcast at least one game a week on Live. Otherwise, I can't imagine the deal is worth $80 million a year for Microsoft.

[quote name='Blaster man']Yes I read the book some time ago. Obviously I'm referring to the ability to always watch into your living room as being the 1984 part. It's not hyperbole to say that. It's hyperbole to expand the meaning of my statement into the entire book. I don't even live in England man.

[/QUOTE]

I love how the popular press always just brings in 1984 whenever there's a story about video cameras. Derp, there's a camera in your house, it's 1984!!!!!

Until the government themselves mandate that every home has a kinect that's always on and watching you, no, this isn't 1984. Just because technology gives you the ability to do something doesn't mean that technology is being used 1984 style.

I'm more worried about teenage hackers looking at me scratching my balls on the couch than the government.

Off topic but I just recently learned that hyperbole sounds like hi-per-bu-lee, and not hyper-bowl. I'm glad I never use that word in conversation.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']While I don't endorse the hyperbole of how invasive the kinect camera can be, the fact that it is still there in a low power state potentially collecting information, even for something as innocuous as advertising, still bothers me.

On another note, just saw on Joystiq that the NFL deal is worth $400 million over 5 years. Even with all that money they couldn't get Goodell to show up in person. With that kind of money I would hope Microsoft secured rights to broadcast at least one game a week on Live. Otherwise, I can't imagine the deal is worth $80 million a year for Microsoft.[/QUOTE]

Look I realize that it's a bit paranoid but it is very troubling.

The Kinect will function all the time, it will always be connected to the xbox, and the xbox will always be connected to the Internet transferring data back and forth. How is this beneficial to the gamer at all other than being able to say "Xbox On"? That's a terrible trade off.

MS is not the one corporate network impervious to hack attempts. Even if the government and MS and anyone else that has access to these cameras are completely benevolent, that doesn't preclude 3rd party intrusion.

I don't think it's overly paranoid to say that all your conversation will be stored in MS data centers and later used to make the Kinect voice commands function better and not start up from casual conversations. They've already said they want the Kinect to understand conversations and there's no way they can do that without aggregating vast amounts of data.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/23/ign-poll-result-75-disappointed-with-xbox-one-reveal

IGN Poll Result: 75% Disappointed with Xbox One Reveal

Xbox-One-Reveal-Poll-IGN.jpg

A machine that monitors my heart rate and watches me and I can't turn it off. Sounds like a great idea for a scifi movie. Hell they should make this movie on the xbox one

[quote name='RedvsBlue']A: 2-3 years and all physical media is eliminated? Please, get back in contact with reality.

B: I have no interest in the anti-consumer nature of digital only goods. I will "rent" digital goods but I will never move to paying full price for digital only goods. I have plenty of physical games across all generations since NES and a huge collection of blu rays and DVDs that will keep me entertained. Furthermore, subscription services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime will satisfy my needs but I will never pay $20 to "own" a digital only movie or $60 to "own" a digital download of a game.[/QUOTE]

I'd like prices on digital goods to be cheaper than physical ones. But otherwise I'm getting to the point of prefering digital goods as I hate having CDs, DVDs/blurays, books, game discs etc cluttering up the house on unsightly media racks.

I don't loan things, and other than games (as i pretty much never replay games) I don't care about reselling things. And lately I've been more apt to just drop things at Goodwill than bother reselling since money is no longer tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curve Studios released a press release specifically to tell Microsoft to fuck off and announce their plans to help more indies get on PS4 and Vita:
Independent Developer Curve Announces Focus on PlayStation 4 Next Generation

Independent publisher and developer Curve have announced a focus on PlayStation 4 development next generation.

London, UK – 22\05\2013

Independent publisher and developer Curve have announced a focus on PlayStation 4 development next generation and are offering a range of bespoke publishing services to indie developers looking to the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita as an alternative to the lack of independent support currently announced from Microsoft and the Xbox One.

“XBLA was a trailblazer last generation, so it’s sad to see Microsoft not announcing dedicated support for independent developers on the Xbox One.” said Managing Director Jason Perkins, who started his own game development career as an independent developer on the Commodore 64.

Jason added, “Refusing to concentrate on easier submissions and discoverability leaves the way clear for Sony to capture the most innovative market in gaming right now.”

As an independent development studio with a rich ten year history, including original games such as platformer Stealth Bastard and puzzle title Fluidity, Curve have been working closely with Sony on the PlayStation 3 and Vita, and believe Sony’s dedication to indie developers will open up indie games to a whole new audience next generation.

Curve recently helped indie developer Mike Bithell bring his award winning puzzle platform game Thomas Was Alone to over 200,000 people on the PlayStation 3 and Vita, and are bringing a version of Jasper Bryne’s popular survival horror title “Lone Survivor” to the PlayStation 3 and Vita later this year.

Curve is offering its years of experience in both publishing and development for the Vita and PlayStation 3 to other independent developers. Curve are uniquely set up to offer development, marketing and PR support for Sony platforms to the wider indie community.

Jason Perkins said: “Sony’s show of support for developers, including showing independent releases not only front and centre on their storefront but also during the PlayStation 4 reveal is creating a more open, co-operative market for independent games to enter the living room on a level playing field.”

Curve is able to offer development of enhanced ports to Sony systems, including the addition of platform specific features and gameplay mechanics into existing titles. As well as development, Curve can also help manage PR and marketing for the title directly with Sony, allowing developers to focus on new ideas rather than contracts and submission deadlines.
So the lack of support for indies is already driving potential business away.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'd like prices on digital goods to be cheaper than physical ones. But otherwise I'm gettingnto the point of prefering digital goods as I hate having CDs, DVDs/blurays, books, game discs etc cluttering up the house on unsightly media racks.

I don't loan things, and other than games (as i pretty much never replay games) I don't care about reselling things. And lately I've been more apt to just drop things at Goodwill than bother reselling since money is no longer tight.[/QUOTE]

Blu Ray is possibly the last physical media you'll be able to purchase movies on. I feel like if you like a movie a lot, you should just buy it there.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Curve Studios released a press release specifically to tell Microsoft to fuck off and announce their plans to help more indies get on PS4 and Vita:

So the lack of support for indies is already driving potential business away.[/QUOTE]

The funny thing is, I actually had no intention of buying a PS4 before but now I'm expecting to buy it and a Wii U and skip the X one entirely. PS4 definitely seems gamer focused and it's actually the more powerful machine. I imagine it will get the primary focus of developers this coming gen and shitty ports will go to the X one in an odd swap of positions. How can the X one possibly perform as well with 8GB DDR3 of which 3GB is used by the OS('s) vs 8 GB DDR5 of which 1GB is used by the OS? I think it will get primary support by developers and will have the best looking graphics of the two. X one may have some good exclusives but remember the exclusives the 360 had at launch? Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo? I did like Kameo but come on.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Blaster man']Blu Ray is possibly the last physical media you'll be able to purchase movies on. I feel like if you like a movie a lot, you should just buy it there.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, movies are the one thing I'm still buying/collecting as that's my main hobby. I just need to get some media racks with doors to keep them out of sight. And eventually get into a house where I can have a dedicated home theater room and not have all that crap in the living room.

Music and books I've already gone digital on. Next time I move I'll box up my CDs and stick them in a closet or something as they've all been ripped and never get listened to.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, movies are the one thing I'm still buying/collecting as that's my main hobby. I just need to get some media racks with doors to keep them out of sight. And eventually get into a house where I can have a dedicated home theater room and not have all that crap in the living room.

Music and books I've already gone digital on. Next time I move I'll box up my CDs and stick them in a closet or something as they've all been ripped and never get listened to.[/QUOTE]
I dumped a lot of my CD's and the rest are in a closet with the exception of a few of my and my wife's favorites that we have out. My car is older and doesn't have USB or Aux in so it's CD only there for now.

[quote name='Blaster man']I dumped a lot of my CD's and the rest are in a closet with the exception of a few of my and my wife's favorites that we have out. My car is older and doesn't have USB or Aux in so it's CD only there for now.[/QUOTE]

I just got a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into my aux port and just stream music from my iphone now.

They CD player has issues with discs getting stuck anyway.

The difference between digital music and digital books and the Xbox One, is that Microsoft can flip the off switch at any time and cut you off from your entire collection, whether on disc or download. While a Kindle requires you to have a working Kindle, they can't flip a switch and cut you off from your entire book collection. At least as long as your Kindle is functioning, you have your books. Now, they are not entirely off the hook. They can flip a switch and prevent you from putting your book collection on a new Kindle, so that's still bad, but certainly not as bad as the One. As far as music, that's all DRM free now, so you don't even have that issue. With the Xbox One you own nothing. You only get the right to play your games as long as Microsoft allows you to. 24 hour checkin royally sucks. There's no way around that.

[quote name='crunchewy']The difference between digital music and digital books and the Xbox One, is that Microsoft can flip the off switch at any time and cut you off from your entire collection, whether on disc or download. While a Kindle requires you to have a working Kindle, they can't flip a switch and cut you off from your entire book collection. At least as long as your Kindle is functioning, you have your books. Now, they are not entirely off the hook. They can flip a switch and prevent you from putting your book collection on a new Kindle, so that's still bad, but certainly not as bad as the One. As far as music, that's all DRM free now, so you don't even have that issue[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Going back to the server every 24 hours opens the door for a lot of nightmare scenarios. MS's servers are quite literally going to have to be infallible. All the focus is on our Internet but what's the odds THEIR side never fails or is hacked? If that happens NO Xbox Ones NONE OF THEM will be able to play games.

am I understanding that the system will not work without Kinect? So I am buying a watered down pc that can not operate without another machine. If the Kinect breaks/malfunctions/red rings then my system will be out of service until repaired? so they have double the chance of an electronics failure-- if this is accurate--DEALBREAKER

I am bummed that current headsets won't work. I have a Triton Warhead 7.1 which is completely wireless and uses bluetooth so I am praying that will still work.

[quote name='Ltrain8765']--if this is accurate--DEALBREAKER[/QUOTE]

It's accurate. Microsoft has confirmed that the new Kinect is required, and must be attached to the system and running in order for the XBox One to opperate. If your new Kinect breaks for any reason, you will have to buy a replacement.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, movies are the one thing I'm still buying/collecting as that's my main hobby. I just need to get some media racks with doors to keep them out of sight. And eventually get into a house where I can have a dedicated home theater room and not have all that crap in the living room.

Music and books I've already gone digital on. Next time I move I'll box up my CDs and stick them in a closet or something as they've all been ripped and never get listened to.[/QUOTE]

I'd still want all my movies and video games on a disc. Music is one thing, it's 12MB a song at most, movies can run upwards of 5-10GB and games can go over 20GB. Now imagine my HDD fails and I have to redownload the 200+ games I already own at around 15-20GB a game.

fuck that.

[quote name='Ltrain8765']am I understanding that the system will not work without Kinect? So I am buying a watered down pc that can not operate without another machine. If the Kinect breaks/malfunctions/red rings then my system will be out of service until repaired? so they have double the chance of an electronics failure-- if this is accurate--DEALBREAKER[/QUOTE]

Yes
#1 - Kinect comes in every XBone
#2 - Kinect is required for the machine to function

[quote name='Blaster man']So you don't think your conversations are being recorded? You're too worried about game companies. If you really think having a camera and mic in your living room always on is a good thing then I don't even know what to say. Just so you can say "Xbox On" instead of using the guide button?[/QUOTE]
LOL, I'm not sure how you formed this response from what I said. You made a 1984 reference. I made another one, albeit in a joking manner. You don't remember the two-minute hate?

I've already stated in this thread that the Kinect requirement is the #1 dealbreaker for me with the Xbox One.

[quote name='GUNNM']A machine that monitors my heart rate and watches me and I can't turn it off. Sounds like a great idea for a scifi movie. Hell they should make this movie on the xbox one[/QUOTE]

Dave.......daaaaavveee

[quote name='simmias']LOL, I'm not sure how you formed this response from what I said. You made a 1984 reference. I made another one, albeit in a joking manner. You don't remember the two-minute hate?

I've already stated in this thread that the Kinect requirement is the #1 dealbreaker for me with the Xbox One.[/QUOTE]

Its been probably 20 years since I read it in middle school.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I'd still want all my movies and video games on a disc. Music is one thing, it's 12MB a song at most, movies can run upwards of 5-10GB and games can go over 20GB. Now imagine my HDD fails and I have to redownload the 200+ games I already own at around 15-20GB a game.

fuck that.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on movies. Storage is a huge problem. I more hope that some day the streaming subscription services have pretty much everything. I don't need to own copies of films if I can watch them anytime I want on a streaming service. Especially since I'm mostly just watching things for the first time from Netflix, amazon prime, redbox or at the theater these days and not watching movies I own all that often.

Games are moot for me as I don't replay them hardly ever and don't care at all about collecting them. Now I install them and then sell/trade/donatethe disk and delete the install after beating them. I'd just be buying gems, downloading them and beating them and seldom ever needing to redownload anything.

[quote name='Richard Kain']It's accurate. Microsoft has confirmed that the new Kinect is required, and must be attached to the system and running in order for the XBox One to opperate. If your new Kinect breaks for any reason, you will have to buy a replacement.[/QUOTE]

Is failure rate for Kinect high? Not a pointed question, I just don't know.

Not saying this thread is horribly guilty of this (although it's not innocent, either). This is more of a general statement: Can people at least pretend they'd like to be a smidgen more informed before they etch their verdict one the One in stone? I wasn't blown away by the MS presentation by any means, but there is still a long way to go before November and a lot of stuff we don't know on both sides.

Neither company has impressed me, but I'm fully willing to accept that could change in less than 3 weeks.

The one form of media I'll never go digital on is print. I work in the print industry, so jumping to digital is like shooting myself in the foot. Books, magazines, newspapers... I'll read those on paper until the day they stop making them. Plus theres just something about reading a book that swiping your finger on an iPad can't compare to. Aaaaaaaaaand to everyone whos given up on print...

tumblr_m4zbdaifDF1rw082zo1_500.gif

[quote name='KaneRobot']Not saying this thread is horribly guilty of this (although it's not innocent, either). This is more of a general statement: Can people at least pretend they'd like to be a smidgen more informed before they etch their verdict one the One in stone? I wasn't blown away by the MS presentation by any means, but there is still a long way to go before November and a lot of stuff we don't know on both sides.

Neither company has impressed me, but I'm fully willing to accept that could change in less than 3 weeks.[/QUOTE]
Its that people have seen enough bad ideas that they lost hope.

Like browns or cubs fans.
OR NASCAR.

Edit:
or BMW. Poor M.
full body tackles in the NFL. Really players? You didnt think knocking heads might kill some brain cells?

[quote name='6er']Its that people have seen enough bad ideas that they lost hope.

Like browns or cubs fans.
OR NASCAR.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this. Basically, all the bad rumors that everyone thought must be bullshit are true.

[quote name='theflicker']Is failure rate for Kinect high? Not a pointed question, I just don't know.[/QUOTE]

I have a Kinect, bought it for $25 at a yard sale, it turns on but only when your system is on, it could be easily unplugged until you are ready to use it if you are concerned about privacy but I don't think its doing anything unless your system is on. This isn't an issue right now with the 360 Kinect.

I think the only thing that could cause kinect failure is the fact that it could fall onto the floor, it could drop and break. If you don't drop it, it should be fine. It does have moving parts and gears in it though since the sensor moves around while operating. I see no reason to expect a high failure rate unless you do something accidently to it though.

The new kinect will be different though, if it doesn't have moving parts and move around then I don't see why it would fail. However if it will be listening all the time and watching and perhaps telling me I shouldn't have so many people in the room when a movie is being played then this just furthers my interest from the console even though I have no interest at all.

Given MS's track record on hacking I am in the boat with everyone else I wouldn't trust it. Even if it can't be hacked then what are they doing with all that data, and they could be watching our entire lives since it is on all the time. I don't really want to unplug the thing since it would be difficult to do that, every time I change my clothes and I definitely don't want anyone seeing me change my clothes for example. I don't have the luxury of having a room where no one will be in it unless gaming is happening. I read that people are even hacking the electronic system that lets you click a button to unlock your car, to steal your car. Though they did say this was happening mostly on older cars with the system which isn't an issue for me. If they can hack that then how easy can they hack the XB1 kinect to spy on people.

“The Windows 8 gamer is certainly going to participate in some of that content… We have got everything from very, very casual games, like our very much improved and reimagined Solitaire, all the way to graphically complicated games like The Harvest.”

That part is just funny.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have a Kinect, bought it for $25 at a yard sale, it turns on but only when your system is on, it could be easily unplugged until you are ready to use it if you are concerned about privacy but I don't think its doing anything unless your system is on. This isn't an issue right now with the 360 Kinect.

I think the only thing that could cause kinect failure is the fact that it could fall onto the floor, it could drop and break. If you don't drop it, it should be fine. It does have moving parts and gears in it though since the sensor moves around while operating. I see no reason to expect a high failure rate unless you do something accidently to it though.

The new kinect will be different though, if it doesn't have moving parts and move around then I don't see why it would fail. However if it will be listening all the time and watching and perhaps telling me I shouldn't have so many people in the room when a movie is being played then this just furthers my interest from the console even though I have no interest at all.

Given MS's track record on hacking I am in the boat with everyone else I wouldn't trust it. Even if it can't be hacked then what are they doing with all that data, and they could be watching our entire lives since it is on all the time. I don't really want to unplug the thing since it would be difficult to do that, every time I change my clothes and I definitely don't want anyone seeing me change my clothes for example. I don't have the luxury of having a room where no one will be in it unless gaming is happening. I read that people are even hacking the electronic system that lets you click a button to unlock your car, to steal your car. Though they did say this was happening mostly on older cars with the system which isn't an issue for me. If they can hack that then how easy can they hack the XB1 kinect to spy on people.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the old Kinect failed that often but I definitely heard of it happening on rare occasions. I believe the new Kinect has a processor in it which the old one did not. SO failure is definitely possible.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/sharifsakr/2013/05/22/xbox-one-wins-first-round-of-console-war/
The result of this split was an entirely new depth-sensing technology, based not on multiple stereoscopic cameras but on the time-of-flight of individual photons, which are emitted from the new Kinect’s IR module. They’re measured by a totally in-house CMOS chip as well as an equally custom-built I/O processor specialized in turning analog information into digital depth maps without burdening the main chip inside the console.

Woot! Thanks, Kinect and MS

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...rks-new-per-view-content-system-for-xbox-one/

"A filing application with the United States Patents and Trademarks Office from Microsoft has revealed the company plans to deliver content to Xbox One owners on a 'per-user-view' basis and if the number of views is exceeded action - though it's not exactly clear what - will be taken against the system's owner."

"Consumers are presented with a content selection and a choice of licenses allowing consumption of the content. The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken."

Count me among those pleased with the xbox reveal, although I understand and share many of the concerns. MS clearly left too many unanswered questions. But I'm excited by two new, powerful game consoles, and in a year or so, I will purchase one, most likely the xbox.

If I could remember the last time my internet was down for more than five minutes, I might make a different choice. personally, I'm gonna love being able to play any of my games without digging through stacks of disks, often more than one for the same game.

Anyway do you seriously want a box that only plays games? How many hardcore PC gamers don't do a hundred other things on their "box"? Anyway my point is that we'll have lots of choices of ways to play games, be it PS4, Steambox, Ouya, PC, or the Xbox. I'm betting MS will stay on top, with an amazing line-up of games, and features so cool, such as voice and movement control, that you'll wonder how you ever did without them.

That would be distressing, but patents are made all the time that are never actually used, so it's hard to say if this would actually show up on the One or not.

Also, you need to hope that your account is never hacked. If it is you will not only lose all download games, but all disc games too. Your entire collection gone in a poof of virtual smoke. I have a friend who's account was hacked and he lost all his XBLA games, though has use of them on the current Xbox as long as it stays alive. It would be 10x worse on the One. You'd lose your entire collection and you'd lose it all immediately. Or at least you would in 24 hours.

[quote name='crunchewy']Also, you need to hope that your account is never hacked. If it is you will not only lose all download games, but all disc games too. Your entire collection gone in a poof of virtual smoke. I have a friend who's account was hacked and he lost all his XBLA games, though has use of them on the current Xbox as long as it stays alive. It would be 10x worse on the One. You'd lose your entire collection and you'd lose it all immediately. Or at least you would in 24 hours.[/QUOTE]
Microsoft couldn't get his account back?

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']The one form of media I'll never go digital on is print. I work in the print industry, so jumping to digital is like shooting myself in the foot. Books, magazines, newspapers... I'll read those on paper until the day they stop making them. Plus theres just something about reading a book that swiping your finger on an iPad can't compare to. Aaaaaaaaaand to everyone whos given up on print...

tumblr_m4zbdaifDF1rw082zo1_500.gif
[/QUOTE]

I still read books in mostly print form because they're, well... They're just better for bathroom reading. Besides, if I took my Kindle Fire HD into the bathroom, I'd just be watching YouTube/Amazon/Hulu/HBO Go instead of actually reading.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Games are moot for me as I don't replay them hardly ever and don't care at all about collecting them. Now I install them and then sell/trade/donatethe disk and delete the install after beating them.[/QUOTE]

I've actually only played around around 30% of the 551 games that I currently own. I buy them on sale with the intention of playing them in the future. I never know what I'll feel like playing, so I like to keep everything installed and/or nearby on the shelf.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Not saying this thread is horribly guilty of this (although it's not innocent, either). This is more of a general statement: Can people at least pretend they'd like to be a smidgen more informed before they etch their verdict one the One in stone? I wasn't blown away by the MS presentation by any means, but there is still a long way to go before November and a lot of stuff we don't know on both sides.

Neither company has impressed me, but I'm fully willing to accept that could change in less than 3 weeks.[/QUOTE]

I've tried to get more info. I sat at work alt tabbing to the Major Nelson Live Chat where he answered everyone's pressing questions with "We'll have to let you know in the future" and focused entirely on the Xbox One controller.

Microsoft themselves haven't even been able to give a straight answer. One guy says you'll have to pay full price, another guy says that isn't true. This guy says they've got a plan in place, this guy says they haven't made a decision on policy yet. I'd LOVE to have more information, but right now, I'm starting to question if Microsoft even knows what the fuck they're doing. When a major corporation shows that level of confusion and lack of direction, I start to go "Hmmm..."

[quote name='htz']I'm surprised Activision and Bungie will be showing off Destiny at Sony's E3 press conference instead.[/QUOTE]
They're already paying for exclusive content, so it's not really a surprise to me.

[quote name='tokyostomp']Woot! Thanks, Kinect and MS

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...rks-new-per-view-content-system-for-xbox-one/

"A filing application with the United States Patents and Trademarks Office from Microsoft has revealed the company plans to deliver content to Xbox One owners on a 'per-user-view' basis and if the number of views is exceeded action - though it's not exactly clear what - will be taken against the system's owner."

"Consumers are presented with a content selection and a choice of licenses allowing consumption of the content. The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken."[/QUOTE]
this is f'd up. My living room is not a movie theatre. I buy/rent movies to have the convenience of inviting friends over to watch without the burden of paying 12 bucks a person to see the darn thing.
This may just be a patent, but it's one that would directly work with the new technology Microsoft is offering with the kinect 2.0, which people are already upset about. I can see the xbox going the way of the ps3 this generation, but for completely different reason.
Rather then price and timing being the deciding factors for success, fear of the unknown and uncontrollable will be. If all my content is technically digital, what happens when something like the psn going down for a month occurs due to hacking? We all twiddle our thumbs and cuss out Microsoft øn a forum about how stupid everything they've done is. Unless DRM rules somehow became more lenient (I can make backups of my whole account etc..) then there's just to much risk vs reward.

[quote name='Broken Cage']
I've actually only played around around 30% of the 551 games that I currently own. I buy them on sale with the intention of playing them in the future. I never know what I'll feel like playing, so I like to keep everything installed and/or nearby on the shelf.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm totally opposite on that. I have maybe a 15 game collection/backlog right now. And that's big for me. I'm motivated to get back to what I did the first half of this generation and only buying games when I need a new one to play. I've stopped checking the deals forums so I'm not tempted to buy games I don't have time to play and/or not much interest in playing just because they're cheap.

It's the movie buying I struggle with and buy too many when I'm seldom watching anything I own over something new from Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back