Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly the game activation scheme doesn't bother me as I've bought into a similar system for years: Steam. It's not exact same but it's extremely similar. I buy a disc at the store, install it and activate via steam to speed up the download. I can't play that on another machine without downloading it to that and logging in as myself. Even the online features to activate the game are similar, have to be online for the first launch and then can play the single player offline (and most of the multiplayer). Yes you can add cracks to play without launching the Steam client, but that goes against TOS. Microsoft is just embracing the PC philosophy with their console.

People ask what will Microsoft do if they want to start shutting down those activation servers or something along those lines, what will Steam do if the service is going out? They say they have plans but we have no real guarantees. I see no difference here.

[quote name='JP']Honestly the game activation scheme doesn't bother me as I've bought into a similar system for years: Steam. It's not exact same but it's extremely similar. I buy a disc at the store, install it and activate via steam to speed up the download. I can't play that on another machine without downloading it to that and logging in as myself. Even the online features to activate the game are similar, have to be online for the first launch and then can play the single player offline (and most of the multiplayer). Yes you can add cracks to play without launching the Steam client, but that goes against TOS. Microsoft is just embracing the PC philosophy with their console.

People ask what will Microsoft do if they want to start shutting down those activation servers or something along those lines, what will Steam do if the service is going out? They say they have plans but we have no real guarantees. I see no difference here.[/QUOTE]

im the same way but i remember when steam first started alot of pc gamers were not open to it and was thinking the same thing these guys are thinkg so i know how they feel. At this point i like the idea behind steam and the x1. the install game to hd and no disk needed is pretty sweet. once people realize we are in digital world they will be fine with all this.

seeing microsoft is allowing game companys set their own price it means we could very well get great deals like steam and amazon does for pc games. in the end this is good for gaming industry and consumer.

[quote name='JP']Honestly the game activation scheme doesn't bother me as I've bought into a similar system for years: Steam. It's not exact same but it's extremely similar. I buy a disc at the store, install it and activate via steam to speed up the download. I can't play that on another machine without downloading it to that and logging in as myself. Even the online features to activate the game are similar, have to be online for the first launch and then can play the single player offline (and most of the multiplayer). Yes you can add cracks to play without launching the Steam client, but that goes against TOS. Microsoft is just embracing the PC philosophy with their console.

People ask what will Microsoft do if they want to start shutting down those activation servers or something along those lines, what will Steam do if the service is going out? They say they have plans but we have no real guarantees. I see no difference here.[/QUOTE]

If they're going to treat console gaming like this, why the fuck even own a console? It is literally a PC with some stupid fucking skin overlaid on your tv similar to how phone manufacturers skin android. It's completely unnecessary.

Oh and hey, if you buy a new PC, you can play your old games on it.

[quote name='Blaster man']If they're going to treat console gaming like this, why the fuck even own a console? It is literally a PC with some stupid fucking skin overlaid on your tv similar to how phone manufacturers skin android. It's completely unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

piracy is one of the main things to blame this on. piracy is one main reason why activision codes came to pc. piracy and jtag 360s are a bigger issue then most people think why do you think microsoft starting to test for them connected to live two years ago.

why are people so ma about no bc on ps4 and x1's bc ha limited number of games on 360 and it has not been possible on ps3 fats for over a year now and never on ps3 slims why would they put it back into systems after taking it out.

[quote name='Blaster man']If they're going to treat console gaming like this, why the fuck even own a console? It is literally a PC with some stupid fucking skin overlaid on your tv similar to how phone manufacturers skin android. It's completely unnecessary.[/QUOTE]
I'm not going to argue that point, as they are basically serving the same function. I will say that the console still helps the people who can't/wont build their own PCs that connect to your TV. The games are guaranteed to work on them, there isn't a worry about upgrading components every year and can have a lifecycle of 5-7 years depending upon the support by the manufacturer and game companies. My main room has a gaming rig, 360, Xbox and PS3 hooked up to the TV. The PC is what I typically buy most of my games for and I use a 360 controller for some of them that fit it better. It serves the same purpose as the 360 so I purchase in that manner, there are still console exclusives though.

I see the X1 as a step towards Microsoft trying to get a much stronger hold in PC gaming market, maybe even a step towards an item similar to the proposed Steamboxes but under the microsoft flag and store. I'd be willing to bet porting from X1 to PC or PC to X1 will be much simpler process and probably designed that way to be easier on the devs.

[quote name='JP']I'm not going to argue that point, as they are basically serving the same function. I will say that the console still helps the people who can't/wont build their own PCs that connect to your TV. The games are guaranteed to work on them, there isn't a worry about upgrading components every year and can have a lifecycle of 5-7 years depending upon the support by the manufacturer and game companies. My main room has a gaming rig, 360, Xbox and PS3 hooked up to the TV. The PC is what I typically buy most of my games for and I use a 360 controller for some of them that fit it better. It serves the same purpose as the 360 so I purchase in that manner, there are still console exclusives though.

I see the X1 as a step towards Microsoft trying to get a much stronger hold in PC gaming market, maybe even a step towards an item similar to the proposed Steamboxes but under the microsoft flag and store. I'd be willing to bet porting from X1 to PC or PC to X1 will be much simpler process and probably designed that way to be easier on the devs.[/QUOTE]

ps4 and x1s are pretty much a gaming pc it will help make better games. if people on't buy ps4 and x1s because of the dumb used game thing they will miss out on great games for years to come.

If Sony doesn't do the "needs to be connected once every 24hrs" and doesn't do the "extra fee for buying a used game" crap Sony will have a winner with the PS4. Gamestop may be bad sometimes, but MS is worse.

[quote name='burbs1989']If Sony doesn't do the "needs to be connected once every 24hrs" and doesn't do the "extra fee for buying a used game" crap Sony will have a winner with the PS4. Gamestop may be bad sometimes, but MS is worse.[/QUOTE]

sounds like ps4 will give the game makers the option to block use games which i think will end up happing on x1's

iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']people can fight them but sooner or later if you want a new game to play you will have to buy one or buy a high end gaming pc[/QUOTE]

Or I can just wait until they get rid of all this nonsense when they realize their sales plummeting. :)

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Top 5 posters in this thread:

TimboSliceGB 255
RedvsBlue 58
Blaster man 46
RiPPn 41
dmaul1114 40[/QUOTE]

I'm not in the running? Boo-Urns.

Interesting side note; I just got a email confirming my RSVP for the Xbox E3 Media Briefing. I would live blog it here but as it's being streamed I feel it's pointless.
Here's hoping for some free swag, maybe a X1/XO/XBone/XOne/etc.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']piracy is one of the main things to blame this on. piracy is one main reason why activision codes came to pc. piracy and jtag 360s are a bigger issue then most people think why do you think microsoft starting to test for them connected to live two years ago.
[/QUOTE]
I'm sure the best way to combat piracy is with anti-consumer policies like restrictive DRM, loosing your library when you upgrade and keeping the price of your games high.

TimboSliceGB 255
RedvsBlue 58
Blaster man 46
RiPPn 41
dmaul1114 40[/QUOTE]

This can't be right...

[quote name='confoosious']I am really getting tired of the "what's the big deal -- it's just like pc gaming!" Crap. If I wanted to be a pc gamer, I'd buy a pc.[/QUOTE]
This. I really doubt PS4 will be as strict as xOne for the simple reason that the Japanese culture isn't quite the same as america culture. That said, I'm not an expert of Japanese culture so I won't pretend to know intricacies of it.

[quote name='DNukem170']Can you tell the difference between Xbox360 graphics and XboxOne graphics? Find out for yourself.[/QUOTE]

This is dumb.

If I can't tell the difference in motion then we have a legit gripe. Two stills don't mean much. We're not going from sd to hd here.

[quote name='tokyostomp']I'm not in the running? Boo-Urns.

Interesting side note; I just got a email confirming my RSVP for the Xbox E3 Media Briefing. I would live blog it here but as it's being streamed I feel it's pointless.
Here's hoping for some free swag, maybe a X1/XO/XBone/XOne/etc.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

i guess i will see you there :D

[quote name='itachiitachi']I'm sure the best way to combat piracy is with anti-consumer policies like restrictive DRM, loosing your library when you upgrade and keeping the price of your games high.[/QUOTE]

ps4 don't have bc also and ps3 has not had it for over a year and that was only if you had a launch ps3 it was never on slim you act like x1 is first ever system to no have bc

[quote name='tokyostomp']I sincerely hope not.[/QUOTE]

Remember to tip him well after he hands you the towel and the mint.

(Couldn't resist. I kid I kid)

TimboSliceGB 255
RedvsBlue 58
Blaster man 46
RiPPn 41
dmaul1114 40[/QUOTE]

Haha, he has more than the next 4 of us combined. (also, +1...)

[quote name='tokyostomp']I won some twitter giveaway, pretty sweet.

Love this whole telecommute thing. So much free time to um "work"...[/QUOTE]

you are having way too much luck with twitter lately. First Minecraft, now E3, I need some of your luck;)

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']you are having way too much luck with twitter lately. First Minecraft, now E3, I need some of your luck;)[/QUOTE]

Twitter has been good to me lately. Also won a code for Dust 514 add on. I'm trying to trade it as I don't play Dust.

I'm gonna have to chalk it up to my CAG inspired avatar, ever since I made it...

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']ps4 don't have bc also and ps3 has not had it for over a year and that was only if you had a launch ps3 it was never on slim you act like x1 is first ever system to no have bc[/QUOTE]
Are you trying to miss the point? XB1 is full of anti-consumer features that encourages pirating.
Pointing out the one of the competitor shares one of the features is totally irrelevant to the point.
Also what has happened to your grammar?

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Yet they have hundreds to spend on a next gen console :error:[/QUOTE]

Yes, error, assuming that they have limitless money, but some people have to make decisions when making large purchases.

I agree that only having HDMI out isn't a big deal, but it's not that hard to picture some people being able to afford only so much.

[quote name='Wint3rSoldier']All The Details, reactions, speculations for E3 for the XBOX ONE from an Indy Podcast

http://vsnarcadepodcast.podomatic.com/entry/2013-05-21T17_46_56-07_00

plz check it out[/QUOTE]

Tried to listen to it, but the guy who has the mic talks sooos slooooooow, and the guy who actually talks fast and had stuff to say sounded like he was talking into a tin can. Got to the point where they were talking kinect, then the tin can guy said he didn't even have one? Dunno just sounded like I was listening to 2 guys talk on the phone. Thanks though.

Edit: heres a great podcast for you about the XO: http://destructoid.libsyn.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ltrain8765']am I understanding that the system will not work without Kinect? So I am buying a watered down pc that can not operate without another machine. If the Kinect breaks/malfunctions/red rings then my system will be out of service until repaired? so they have double the chance of an electronics failure-- if this is accurate--DEALBREAKER[/QUOTE]

Didn't Microsoft remember and learn anything from the debacle with the Coleco Adam computer needing the printer to be on and functioning to use the games or computer? The systems went dead if the printer malfunctioned, and the entire thing (system, printer, etc.) had to be sent in for repairs. This happened quite often... hello, RROD re-dux.

[quote name='theflicker']Yes, error, assuming that they have limitless money, but some people have to make decisions when making large purchases.

I agree that only having HDMI out isn't a big deal, but it's not that hard to picture some people being able to afford only so much.[/QUOTE]

Of course.

But at the same time there's not a lot of point in buying a console during the first six months to a year anyway as there's not much of game library.

So if someone lacks an HDTV, I'd suggest saving up for that first, then save up for however long and buy a next gen console after the first price drop when it's cheaper and has a larger library.

Plenty of current gen games they can still enjoy in HD for the first time on their new TV. :D

[quote name='tokyostomp']Twitter has been good to me lately. Also won a code for Dust 514 add on. I'm trying to trade it as I don't play Dust.

I'm gonna have to chalk it up to my CAG inspired avatar, ever since I made it...[/QUOTE]

Man I wish I could draw myself a CAG avatar :(

[quote name='Fallen_Shadow94']Man I wish I could draw myself a CAG avatar :([/QUOTE]

You can always frankenstein a few images together.

I have wombat's glasses and cheapy's smile...
I'm a unwanted love child...

Man, this is what is called a convo!

Think that Microsoft gave us a taste of things to come with the X1 (XO, XOne?) with Crash Course 2 and how there "NEEDS" to be a Gold account in order to play. Bet that will be how the "Tied to gamer account" will work more or less.

Will be waiting a few years to get a Xbox One unless I win one in some contest.

LONG LIVE THE 360!!

[quote name='DNukem170']Many people have their gaming setups in a side room or bedroom where they just have whatever cheap TV they can get.

I also know people that have very large non-HD TVs as their main viewing TV.[/QUOTE]

I'm against 90% of what Microsoft has announced so far, but this? I mean you can get an HDMI computer monitor for around $150.00 that will work perfectly. Sooner or later, you've got to make the change.

[quote name='RiPPn']You've named about the only scenario this would be necessary. And with 500GB and being able to attach USB drives, this is probably not going to be something you have to do.[/QUOTE]

You make it sound like 500GB is a large HDD. The Witcher 2, Batman Arkham City, Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate - These three current gen games alone are over 60GB on the PC. I'd fill up that 500GB HDD in a day.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']pc games have keys and they have copy protection on the disc :facepalm:[/QUOTE]

Console gaming and PC gaming should never be compared. They're two entirely different beasts.

PC Gaming has infinite backwards compatibility. I can play GTA1 on my Windows 7 PC and I can play Bioshock Infinite. (Shout out to Kid Chameleon!) PC Gaming has a modding community that can make a game infinite as well. Do you know how long I played Half-Life due to Total Conversion mods? They Hunger was a specific one that I remember to this day. PC Gaming has fan-made patches that can fix issues developers can't be bothered with.

Console gaming benefits from being easily accessible to everyone. It benefits from giving the owner the option to rent/trade/sell games that PC gaming does not. It benefits from simply throwing a disc into the tray and immediately playing the game vs. hours of downloading or installing on the PC.

The issue is that Xbox One is supposedly doing away with ALL of its advantages over PC Gaming while adding none of PC Gaming's advantages. So you cannot go "Well PC Gaming..." because PC Gaming is going to be MILES ahead of what the Xbox One offers for actual gaming if this shit holds true.

Something I accept about all media I purchase is that it will die off at some point. I'll have to replace my DVDs eventually, I'll have to replace my CDs with MP3s, etc. One day, I'll probably have to give up my Steam Collection, but it's just as likely that some hacker is going to develop a crack that lets me play them. If not, well hell, Steam still outlived at least two generations of consoles.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']piracy is one of the main things to blame this on. piracy is one main reason why activision codes came to pc. piracy and jtag 360s are a bigger issue then most people think why do you think microsoft starting to test for them connected to live two years ago.

why are people so ma about no bc on ps4 and x1's bc ha limited number of games on 360 and it has not been possible on ps3 fats for over a year now and never on ps3 slims why would they put it back into systems after taking it out.[/QUOTE]

The poor publishers and piracy is a hard pill to swallow when Activision and EA are reporting billions in revenue. EA themselves sent me a notice letting me know about their 4.1 Billion in revenue for 2012. Piracy and used games sure are killing them.

I believe this is about controlling consumers moreso than combating piracy. We haven't seen DRM successfully stop piracy yet, but it's certainly given companies more control over their paying customers.

[quote name='JP']I see the X1 as a step towards Microsoft trying to get a much stronger hold in PC gaming market, maybe even a step towards an item similar to the proposed Steamboxes but under the microsoft flag and store. I'd be willing to bet porting from X1 to PC or PC to X1 will be much simpler process and probably designed that way to be easier on the devs.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how you can consider this Microsoft trying to get a foothold in the PC gaming market. The machine they're releasing is the anti-PC Gamer, and they've openly said they won't focus on traditional pc games. Hell, they even offered up Solitaire as a PC game we should be excited about.

Microsoft is giving PC gamers the finger in favor of its console, the problem is, it's console is giving the finger to Console Gamers also.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I don't see how you can consider this Microsoft trying to get a foothold in the PC gaming market. The machine they're releasing is the anti-PC Gamer, and they've openly said they won't focus on traditional pc games. Hell, they even offered up Solitaire as a PC game we should be excited about.

Microsoft is giving PC gamers the finger in favor of its console, the problem is, it's console is giving the finger to Console Gamers also.[/QUOTE]
Oh I guarantee my thoughts are wrong but here was my line of thinking:

Microsoft has been moving their video/audio services over to the Xbox name. Their gaming servers they host are under Live, Windows Live for PC and XBox Live for console. I see them meshing the two markets, the platforms being similar by that point. Then when you buy an Xbox game title and you activate it, you can play it on your console or PC as long as you are signed into your account.

I don't expect to see it in the current gen, or at all, but the next one or one after it wouldn't surprise me. A slower play to get people used to it. Again this'll probably never happen but you can see some of the steps they've been taking to where this could be a possibility. I could also be off my rocker, which is highly likely as well.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Was just reading on Neogaf how pre-owned trade ins are supposed to work with X1. Not sure if this is accurate or just rumor or what I haven't actually read through it yet.[/QUOTE]

So GameStop continues to thrive, but game lending, rentals, and private selling become a thing of the past.

How exactly is this not anti-consumer again? Giant corporations win, consumers lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back