Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='DestroVega']Yeah that is complete bullshit, Best Buy puts FIFA on sale around the same time every year, no matter how many have been traded in.[/QUOTE]

Fifa at least has some competition. I'd be more concerned about games with exclusive licenses and/or no competing franchise. Both Madden and NHL rarely receive sales. With no competition from used games or from other developers, I could easily see those games stagnating entirely.

Conversely, NBA 2K has still gone on sale despite NBA Live not being around for several years. Everybody is speculating right now. At this point, I'm just of the mindset "if it isn't good for you, don't buy it." Spending time and energy worrying and complaining otherwise is a waste of life.

If you are accustomed to buying new then this whole fiasco really won't affect you.

Though I'm sure you have overpaid for your gaming experience these past few years.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
Everybody is speculating right now. At this point, I'm just of the mindset "if it isn't good for you, don't buy it." Spending time and energy worrying and complaining otherwise is a waste of life.[/QUOTE]

I should just take this advice because even though I basically agree with everyone here that fucking with used games is a BS thing to do I am arguing that at this point we have no real idea what impact it will have on game prices yet.

I am speculating just as much as everyone else and really it gets us nowhere. Reality is I won't support any console that I find to be a horrible investment.

[quote name='TooPoor']If you are accustomed to buying new then this whole fiasco really won't affect you.
[/QUOTE]

When MS dictates the value of a game instead of the free market, it absolutely affects people buying new games.

[quote name='Corvin']When MS dictates the value of a game instead of the free market, it absolutely affects people buying new games.[/QUOTE]

Sigh. MS will not be dictating prices any more than they do today. Demand will still dictate prices. MS is not going to leave games at $80 if no one buys them. Why would anyone think this?

[quote name='cancerman1120']Sigh. MS will not be dictating prices any more than they do today. Demand will still dictate prices. MS is not going to leave games at $80 if no one buys them. Why would anyone think this?[/QUOTE]
I remember hearing that games will get a price hike to $70 next gen. Maybe they are confident that people will still buy at $70 or $80. Who knows, I do not share the consumer habits of an average American so I have no say in this.

I just heard Microsoft applied for a patent to detect the number of people watching something in your room cause Kinect can see it lol. So they'll probably charge rented movie prices per person.

Amazing.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Sigh. MS will not be dictating prices any more than they do today. Demand will still dictate prices. MS is not going to leave games at $80 if no one buys them. Why would anyone think this?[/QUOTE]

Microsoft has a terrible record for their on-line storefront. Sales are infrequent and not very compelling. Prices are never competitive with their retail equivalents.

Perhaps this will begin to change. With the XBox One, the digital storefront will become infinitely more significant to the platform. (since the XBox One's retail presence will just be an extension of the digital storefront anyway) Maybe Microsoft will start learning how to manage their on-line store properly.

But I have a feeling it is going to take them a while. Microsoft is a company of inertia, and they don't change or respond as rapidly as the market needs them to. By comparison, Steam is small, nimble, and considerably more on top of this sort of thing.

Microsoft is a lumbering dinosaur. And their design philosophy for the XBox One reflects this. For them it is all about partnerships and deals with other lumbering dinosaurs. (the mega-publishers like EA and Activision, and media companies like the NFL)

[quote name='nightmare452']Out of pure curiosity, or just to spur intelligent discussion, and I am honestly not trying to come of as mean or anything...

Can you actually come up with a better or more effective way to counter piracy? Other than always online DRM to check that your disc is genuine, I cannot think of any way to combat piracy other than to always check on the users like a hawk. I don't know much about how PC games combat piracy, so this is me just being unclear as to how anyone would make a system, if you want to combat piracy, without similar features.[/QUOTE]
You make it so the legit verision of the game is better than the pirated version, restrictive DRM and anti-consumer practices do the opposite of that.

[quote name='nightmare452']
Sorry to quote you twice itachiitachi (sweet user name by the way, but I'm assume its related to Itachi from Naruto), had to.

Please don't ever use the words "encourage piracy". [/QUOTE]
Don't say they truth? If the pirated version of a game is better people are going to be motivated to get that version over the legit version, no matter your moral stance, that is called an encouragement.
Nothing they do should ever encourage piracy in any way shape or form. Even if Microsoft blocks used games, charges $100 per game, and even charges $100 per month to play on Xbox Live, all of that combined should still NEVER ever give the right to anyone to pirate a game. Gaming is a privilege we fortunately have, its not a god given right. Its not the same as stealing cause you are hungry and would starve (let not discuss the differences here, just making an example, a bad one that I myself acknowledge is in bad taste). [/QUOTE]
People shouldn't be motivated to steal, that doesn't mean if you put $10,000 of cash in the front seat in Mercedes and leave in unattended with the keys in the ignition you aren't more likely to be stolen from.
Can't afford a game, to bad since, lets be honest, we have no right to play it anyway. Don't like the "features" the Xbox One has, like online DRM and blocking used games, don't buy the system. We as consumers have to start sending a message to this mega corporations by voting with our wallets. But not with piracy, never with piracy.[/QUOTE]
People can either punish themselves and the people who are being anti-consumer by not buying it, or just punish the people who are being anti-consumer by pirating it. Many people don't share your moral stance on pirating, so for them if they are slightly rational, why would choose to help someone the don't like or hurt themselves?

[quote name='crunchewy']People love Steam. I think if Microsoft successfully emulates Steam, or better still, improves on it (the ability to trade/sell licenses would be an improvement for sure, the ability for multiple gamertags to play the purchased game - that's also an improvement) with a console, then they will have a hit on their hands. They will need to get past the initial uproar, though, which is, at the moment, deafening. AND this actually has to prove to be the case. That remains to be seen. Since this is Microsoft we are talking about, I am still a bit skeptical.
[/QUOTE]
Steam lets me keep my digital content when I upgrade, doesn't make my gaming peripherals obsolete, lets me buy digital content from other retailers, give developers a means to self publish and lets them set the price, helps publishers get their games noticed, doesn't charge to patch games, curates its library, doesn't require me to go online once a day, doesn't care who makes my hardware, doesn't charge a monthly fee to play online, and in most cases is optional.
None of that can be said about MS and the XB1.

[quote name='DestroVega']I just heard Microsoft applied for a patent to detect the number of people watching something in your room cause Kinect can see it lol. So they'll probably charge rented movie prices per person.

Amazing.[/QUOTE]

Movie companies would kill, actually kill (I'm not joking, I'm super serious guys) if they could detect who is watching a movie on the living room. No more movie theaters, just sell movies on demand/PPV and charge per person in the room.

Again, patent =/= application. If we speculate based on every patent these companies applied for, mass suicides I tell ya. :cool:

[quote name='itachiitachi']You make it so the legit verision of the game is better than the pirated version, restrictive DRM and anti-consumer practices do the opposite of that. [/QUOTE]

WHAT!? Seriously?

The pirated version is the legitimate version. That is why its called piracy. You steal the game itself, not some secondary version. Lets not all assume that the example from Game Dev Tycoon is the norm, and from now on all games will provide pirate copies so that the legitimate version is better.

Just because MS is implementing more anti-consumer measures does NOT give anyone the right to piracy. You don't have the right to play the game for free, point and simple. That isn't up for debate IMO, we don't have a right to play these games, we want to play them, that's different.

I do understand that what MS is doing it severely limiting our purchase options and implementing tons of additional ways for them to control the market. But lets not confuse the issues here. What MS is doing is adding ways to control the market and get more money from us, the consumer. That is no excuse for us to "go down to their level" and pirate stuff. We simply don't buy the XB1, or buy games for PC, which is already anti-used games and has been for 10+ years.

I assume that most, if not all people who say they will switch over to PC, say it with the idea that PC games will remain cheaper and be on sale more often. What if they aren't.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Corvin']When MS dictates the value of a game instead of the free market, it absolutely affects people buying new games.[/QUOTE]

Not people just buying a few blockbuster games at launch for $60.

I've not done that this generation, but I likely will next gen. I'm sure some stuff I'll be too busy and end up picking up well after launch--and it would be nice to still have some sales on that.

But I'd like to get down to just playing 5 or 6 games a year max (less in years where I get something like Skyrim or Borderlands 2 that I can play for months) that I can really take my time with and enjoy rather than rushing through great games to get to others on the shelf I end up not liking nearly as much.

With buying that few games, I don't mind paying $60 a pop. Obviously a different story for people who buy tons of games, have back logs of 100+ games etc. But for me, that's still good entertainment value--especially for longer games. I mean I go to the movies fairly regularly and evening prices here are $12 for 2D and $17 for 3D for a couple hours of entertainment.

[quote name='nightmare452']Again, patent =/= application. If we speculate based on every patent these companies applied for, mass suicides I tell ya. :cool:[/QUOTE]

But it does show where Microsoft's head is at. I mean honestly, have you heard anything about the Kinect or Xbox One that didn't sound exactly like Microsoft trying to create 1984?

You must be connected.
Your games are restricted.
We are monitoring you.
Freedom is a lie.
You will serve us.
Serve us.
Serve.

STOP WITH THE MOTHERfuckING 1984 REFERNCES!

Is Microsoft strapping a rat cage to people's faces?

/rant

and for fucks sake, if you're gonna reference 1984, at least get the quotes right. What are you gonna refence next? Winston Smith said, "There is no spoon." GTFO

/rantforrealz

[quote name='Broken Cage']But it does show where Microsoft's head is at. I mean honestly, have you heard anything about the Kinect or Xbox One that didn't sound exactly like Microsoft trying to create 1984? [/QUOTE]

I agree that Microsoft wants to control everything. Here is the puzzle.

What technology company do you know that does NOT want to:
A) control its consumers,
B) have you be connected all the time (so they can sell ads and collect data from you),
C) monitor your every move,
D) have consumers be mindless drones that buy everything.

Apple says hi. And last I check, people loved their iPhones. (and I love my iPad)

Wow, I see this has gotten way out of control. All this over a Xbox reveal lmao....

Half the things most of the people are saying are just rumors...I'll wait til E3 to get some real information.

[quote name='nightmare452']I agree that Microsoft wants to control everything. Here is the puzzle.

B) have you be connected all the time (so they can sell ads and collect data from you),

Apple says hi. And last I check, people loved their iPhones. (and I love my iPad)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it really is getting closer to the point that you're either going to have to accept not really owning your media, but rather a license to view it, or do without it.

Maybe things will change. Music went DRM free. Maybe games, e-books and digital movies will eventually too. But I kind of doubt it.

I think when broadband adoption is ubiquitous we'll see everything move to streaming services like Spotify, Netflix, some gaming on demand systems etc. where you just pay a monthly fee to access all the content out there.

Collectors will hate it, but as long as the pricing is reasonable I'd be all for it as I'd love the instant gratification factor and not cluttering up the house with physical media etc.

Take e-books for instance, I've read a TON more since getting my Kindle back in 2009 as I don't have to buy books I'll never re-read and just end up donating or throwing in boxes in the closet, or hassling with library waitlists and due dates etc. So digital media can be a win for both consumer and publishers--in this came I'm reading more, enjoying it more and buying many more books than I did in the past even with the DRM etc. Which to be fair doesn't affect me as I don' want to hassle with reselling books and don't care about lending.

Digital distribution is growing, but it will still be another 20-30 years before physical media even begins to disappear.

[quote name='F1ngers of fury']Half the things most of the people are saying are just rumors...I'll wait til E3 to get some real information.[/QUOTE]

You're assuming Microsoft is actually going to provide answers at E3.

[quote name='DNukem170']Digital distribution is growing, but it will still be another 20-30 years before physical media even begins to disappear.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The network infrastructure just isn't there, storage space is an issue for movies and games etc.

But we will see it continue to erode. Look how small the CD section is in Best Buy or Target now vs. 5+ years ago as one example. It's often a waste of time to look for anything that's not a new release or super popular still as they probably don't have it as they just aren't selling as most people have moved to MP3s.

We'll probably start to see the size of gaming sections shrink some over the next couple of generations. Movies may take longer since digital distribution is lagging there for purchases--though we may see purchasing overall decline if Netflix, Amazon etc. can strike deals to offer newer releases on their streaming services.

But it will definitely be a while before physical media is totally gone.

[quote name='confoosious']STOP WITH THE MOTHERfuckING 1984 REFERNCES!

/rant

and for fucks sake, if you're gonna reference 1984, at least get the quotes right. What are you gonna refence next? Winston Smith said, "There is no spoon." GTFO

/rantforrealz[/QUOTE]

In fairness it does look like the exterior of the console was designed in 1984.

Music is a different beast. Most of the files are small and fit nicely into a small electronic device. Movies take up a ton of space and nowhere near as many people watch movies on the go.

[quote name='DNukem170']Music is a different beast. Most of the files are small and fit nicely into a small electronic device. Movies take up a ton of space and nowhere near as many people watch movies on the go.[/QUOTE]

The space is the main thing. I don't know that digital downloads of movies will take off any time soon for that reason.

I think streaming will be the future of movies. As you note, most people don't need portability for movies. And many would see no point in buying movies if you could just stream anything you wanted as part of your Netflix or other subscription (rather than just an assortment of mostly older stuff like currently).

Music sells as people want to listen in the car, while running, working out etc. and don't want to stream all the time and eat up their cellular data allotment. Movies people are mostly watching at home on their couch so streaming is always an option as long as you have fast and reliable internet.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Music sells as people want to listen in the car, while running, working out etc. and don't want to stream all the time and eat up their cellular data allotment. Movies people are mostly watching at home on their couch so streaming is always an option as long as you have fast and reliable internet.[/QUOTE]

On road trips, train rides, flights, it's good to have some movies for the kids to watch. So downloads make sense for kids movies.

[quote name='F1ngers of fury']Wow, I see this has gotten way out of control. All this over a Xbox reveal lmao....

Half the things most of the people are saying are just rumors...I'll wait til E3 to get some real information.[/QUOTE]
It's called a discussion based on current state of observation. Nobody is fighting or arguing, nothing is "out of control".

[quote name='dmaul1114']The space is the main thing. I don't know that digital downloads of movies will take off any time soon for that reason.

I think streaming will be the future of movies. As you note, most people don't need portability for movies. And many would see no point in buying movies if you could just stream anything you wanted as part of your Netflix or other subscription (rather than just an assortment of mostly older stuff like currently).

Music sells as people want to listen in the car, while running, working out etc. and don't want to stream all the time and eat up their cellular data allotment. Movies people are mostly watching at home on their couch so streaming is always an option as long as you have fast and reliable internet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I stream things a lot but I like to have the Blu-ray movies so I don't have to sacrifice on quality as well as have it whenever.

[quote name='benjamouth']In fairness it does look like the exterior of the console was designed in 1984.[/QUOTE]

You know why the design isn't slick, right?

[quote name='crunchewy']On road trips, train rides, flights, it's good to have some movies for the kids to watch. So downloads make sense for kids movies.[/QUOTE]

Oh for sure. I wasn't saying there's no need for portability in movies.

It's just not as important as for music where most people these days are listening on their phones, mp3 players and car stereos rather than at home on a stereo system.

I don't watch movies on the go as I don't like watching on small screens. I usually just read on my Kindle or iPad on flights etc. I'm also not having kids (already made sure of that!), so I have no need there either. But plenty do use them for either or both of those reasons, so downloads and digital copies for movies do have a market for sure.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yeah I stream things a lot but I like to have the Blu-ray movies so I don't have to sacrifice on quality as well as have it whenever.[/QUOTE]

True--personally I'm not a videophile at all so I don't care much about the difference between Bluray and Netflix/Amazon HD streams. Hell, I still have 100 some movies on DVD and don't plan to upgrade anymore of them.

Plus, eventually broadband speed will improve and streams will hit Bluray quality. Though that's many years away.

this thing is showing how bad media really is in this country. it's just crazy how man diff websites say dif things. one website says this another one says that and another one says something complete differen. same thing could be said about microsoft people also saying diff things.

[quote name='confoosious']STOP WITH THE MOTHERfuckING 1984 REFERNCES!

/rant

/rantforrealz[/QUOTE]

Did you see quotation marks anymore in my post? I wasn't quoting anything. I'm fairly certain they don't mention video games in 1984.

Furthermore, I'm going to keep referencing 1984 now just so you'll throw another tantrum about it.

[quote name='nightmare452']I agree that Microsoft wants to control everything. Here is the puzzle.

Apple says hi. And last I check, people loved their iPhones. (and I love my iPad)[/QUOTE]

I don't own any Apple products, but you're exactly right. That's the reason it's still going on today, because people like Confoosious up there can't be bothered until rat cages are being strapped to their faces.

I'm guilty of it, too. "Hey, they're making your console with near slave labor in China." -- "Ok, but I really want to play Halo." Regardless, everyone has their breaking point, and if Microsoft actually goes through with this shit, that'll be mine.

And to everyone who is bitching about us discussing the speculation in the Xbox One thread... What would you have us discuss? We have exactly that, speculation and spin. If Microsoft came out with some hard truths on any of these issues, we'd surely discuss that instead.

Yeah I do not mind the speculation either since it drives discussion. Also, I think 99% of us here in some way are not completely on board with MS's direction as it is currently looking. At this point we are mostly arguing about our level of tolerance for certain issues the XBOX ONE could bring.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Yeah I do not mind the speculation either since it drives discussion. Also, I think 99% of us here in some way are not completely on board with MS's direction as it is currently looking. At this point we are mostly arguing about our level of tolerance for certain issues the XBOX ONE could bring.[/QUOTE]

the good part about all this is that system is still around six months away alot of things can change.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']the good part about all this is that system is still around six months away alot of things can change.[/QUOTE]

I would have to imagine that even six months prior to release that production is full steam ahead.

It takes time to make millions of consoles and get them shipped across the globe and into the proper distribution channels so they are where they need to be for release.

I would argue it is VERY safe to say there will be no alterations to the hardware at this point forward barring some monumental announcement to the effect of MS pushing the release date back to sometime in 2014.

[quote name='GBAstar']I would have to imagine that even six months prior to release that production is full steam ahead.

It takes time to make millions of consoles and get them shipped across the globe and into the proper distribution channels so they are where they need to be for release.

I would argue it is VERY safe to say there will be no alterations to the hardware at this point forward barring some monumental announcement to the effect of MS pushing the release date back to sometime in 2014.[/QUOTE]

the main problem right now is this used game stuff and that is prety much all software based which would not affect prouction of hardware. heck who knows it could be a thing on the disc also that makes the system tell the user to enter key code.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Yeah I do not mind the speculation either since it drives discussion. Also, I think 99% of us here in some way are not completely on board with MS's direction as it is currently looking. At this point we are mostly arguing about our level of tolerance for certain issues the XBOX ONE could bring.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's just fun to speculate and discuss. I've been laid up with a stomach bug, and procrastinating some work the past couple of days, so these threads have been a fun diversion.

[quote name='YBX87']has microsoft officially release the date of when the xbox one console will be release?[/QUOTE]

No, they just said it'll be available this holiday season, whatever that means.

I'd guess the Xbox1 and PS4 will launch a couple of weeks apart in November. Get the hype rolling around peak Xmas shopping season.

It's done. It's in place.
They've spent millions developing the system to deliver to stores the ability to de-authorize games and re-authorize them.

Sony can't jump in this late. And this isn't what a Japanese company would do, especially in an American country. They've HAD the capability to do this, as late 1st-party titles like R&C:FFA have individual serial numbers burned onto the disc, too.

Heck, the XBone system requires typing in a code by hand. So we'll still have the fun used/illegible/missing/stolen code problems of this gen.

if i had to guess i would say nov 12th would be a week after cod launch and i doudt you would want a system released that same day and sony maybe a week after

[quote name='M3wThr33']It's done. It's in place.
They've spent millions developing the system to deliver to stores the ability to de-authorize games and re-authorize them.

Sony can't jump in this late. And this isn't what a Japanese company would do, especially in an American country. They've HAD the capability to do this, as late 1st-party titles like R&C:FFA have individual serial numbers burned onto the disc, too.

Heck, the XBone system requires typing in a code by hand. So we'll still have the fun used/illegible/missing/stolen code problems of this gen.[/QUOTE]

how do you know sony does not have anything planned? the main reason i think sony has something up their sleeves is that EA is no longer doing online pass. how will EA make any money from used games on ps4 without some kind of used game fee

I suppose it's possible that it could be up to publishers on whether or not to use this new system for activating, deactivating games.

Maybe it's something publishers like EA have been working with retailers on rather than MS pushing it? We just don't know what it's going to look like, or how it's been developed etc. at this point.

And Sony could go even worse and just require one-time use codes and not allow any resales or trades. I doubt that--especially with all the backlash MS is getting. But who knows at this point. Just have to wait and see.

even if the drm/ used game issues end up being true. You know some computer genius/hacker out there, will just come out of some way to bypass it. THe only consequence is getting your console banned

[quote name='dmaul1114']I suppose it's possible that it could be up to publishers on whether or not to use this new system for activating, deactivating games.

Maybe it's something publishers like EA have been working with retailers on rather than MS pushing it? We just don't know what it's going to look like, or how it's been developed etc. at this point.

And Sony could go even worse and just require one-time use codes and not allow any resales or trades. I doubt that--especially with all the backlash MS is getting. But who knows at this point. Just have to wait and see.[/QUOTE]

you hit the nail on the head their. Ea would have not taken off season pass for games if both systems did not have some kind of used game plan in place.

[quote name='YBX87']even if the drm/ used game issues end up being true. You know some computer genius/hacker out there, will just come out of some way to bypass it. THe only consequence is getting your console banned[/QUOTE]

Which is a big consequence since it has to be online to do much of anything since it apparently needs to check in with MS servers every 24 hours to keep games working.

I'm sure hackers/modders can find ways around that too, but not many people would go through all that hassle to pirate games and keep the console working vs. just dealing with it or gaming on other platforms without such restrictions like Wii U.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Which is a big consequence since it has to be online to do much of anything since it apparently needs to check in with MS servers every 24 hours to keep games working.

I'm sure hackers/modders can find ways around that too, but not many people would go through all that hassle to pirate games and keep the console working vs. just dealing with it or gaming on other platforms without such restrictions like Wii U.[/QUOTE]
yeah, but even if it works, the console will have to be/ made to be offline at all times. Meaning the console will not be able to use the online multiplayer service from xbox one. but You never know

Take a quick look around Games on Demand. Their prices are way out of whack. I'm betting there isn't a single game priced lower on GoD than you could get used at GS.(ebay, amazon, etc.)

[quote name='Richard Kain']Microsoft has a terrible record for their on-line storefront. Sales are infrequent and not very compelling. Prices are never competitive with their retail equivalents.[/QUOTE]

Ding. Ding. Ding.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']how do you know sony does not have anything planned? the main reason i think sony has something up their sleeves is that EA is no longer doing online pass. how will EA make any money from used games on ps4 without some kind of used game fee[/QUOTE]

There is no way Sony doesn't have something similar planned. If the PS4 plays used games like every system before it, then MS's press conference was nothing more than a 1 hour announcement of their exit from the gaming industry.

[quote name='Corvin']Take a quick look around Games on Demand. Their prices are way out of whack. I'm betting there isn't a single game priced lower on GoD than you could get used at GS.(ebay, amazon, etc.)
[/quote]

True, but we're not going digital only. Stores will still be buying physical copies of games (that come with activation keys) that they have to sell or get stuck with.

So that will at least still lead to sales on the disc games just like it does now. If it was digital only, you'd be 100% right that we'd probably see many fewer sales. But with stores needing to move product, it shouldn't be a huge issue this go around.

There is no way Sony doesn't have something similar planned. If the PS4 plays used games like every system before it, then MS's press conference was nothing more than a 1 hour announcement of their exit from the gaming industry.

Exactly. I suspect the used game restrictions is probably something the major publishers have been pushing/involved with (i.e. EA dropping online passes) rather than something MS has cooked up on their own.

[quote name='dmaul1114']True, but we're not going digital only. Stores will still be buying physical copies of games (that come with activation keys) that they have to sell or get stuck with.

So that will at least still lead to sales on the disc games just like it does now. If it was digital only, you'd be 100% right that we'd probably see many fewer sales. But with stores needing to move product, it shouldn't be a huge issue this go around.

Exactly. I suspect the used game restrictions is probably something the major publishers have been pushing/involved with (i.e. EA dropping online passes) rather than something MS has cooked up on their own.[/QUOTE]

this used game junk has all to do with major publishers, might i add look at how bad Ea is upset at nintendo people were like oh it was becasue nintendo would not allow them to put origin onto wii u. That in my mind is false it's becasue unlike sony/microsoft nintendo woul not put any kind of used game fee/service onto the wii u.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']this used game junk has all to do with major publishers, might i add look at how bad Ea is upset at nintendo people were like oh it was becasue nintendo would not allow them to put origin onto wii u. That in my mind is false it's becasue unlike sony/microsoft nintendo woul not put any kind of used game fee/service onto the wii u.[/QUOTE]

The EA/Nintendo thing is interesting, because they never really had a great relationship to begin with. Poor sales of the Wii U could be part of it, but even EA didn't really support the Wii very well.

http://www.ea.com/games

According to their website, PS3 had 118 games from EA, Xbox had 124, PSN had 25, and Live had 43.

Nintendo? 78.

So their recent problems could be from used games fees, or it could be business as usual from EA. There's no way to know for sure.

Now how Sony will work with this knowledge of the Microsoft meltdown will be interesting. What would be awesome is if Sony would cover the costs or instead of splitting it 3 ways with Gamestop/Publisher, just let them have it 50/50. Sony hasn't been receiving money from used games sales anyways, so it would be awesome if they kept doing the same but hoped that gamers would flock to their system upping sales because of it.

Doubtful, but that's my optimism speaking.

[quote name='Corvin']Take a quick look around Games on Demand. Their prices are way out of whack. I'm betting there isn't a single game priced lower on GoD than you could get used at GS.(ebay, amazon, etc.)

Ding. Ding. Ding.

There is no way Sony doesn't have something similar planned. If the PS4 plays used games like every system before it, then MS's press conference was nothing more than a 1 hour announcement of their exit from the gaming industry.[/QUOTE]
The PS4 will function entirely offline. Sony is leaving it up to the publisher and at the very least there will be some experimentation to determine how much selling licenses instead of games impacts sales. So there will be some games you can buy that can be resold without the buyer purchasing a new license. I don't claim to know how many but it's definitely going to be greater than zero.
http://kotaku.com/5985874/ps4-will-not-require-an-always+online-connection
UPDATE: More relief... At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back