Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Corvin']Take a quick look around Games on Demand. Their prices are way out of whack. I'm betting there isn't a single game priced lower on GoD than you could get used at GS.(ebay, amazon, etc.)

[/QUOTE]

Games on Demand does not sell cheaper because they are not trying to undercut the brick and mortar retailers. STEAM has the same issue in Australia. STEAM is considerably more expensive in Australia because the retailers are more expensive. This has nothing to do with MS. Australia is gouged because EB games was basically the only retailer selling video games. As more retail competition has been introduced the prices have fallen. In the US there is already a huge amount of retailers selling games so sales are going to happen. Best Buy, GameStop, Wal-mart, Target, K-mart, TRU....all want to sell you the game. Also why are you comparing used prices to GoD?

[quote name='Blaster man']The PS4 will function entirely offline. Sony is leaving it up to the publisher and at the very least there will be some experimentation to determine how much selling licenses instead of games impacts sales. So there will be some games you can buy that can be resold without the buyer purchasing a new license. I don't claim to know how many but it's definitely going to be greater than zero.
http://kotaku.com/5985874/ps4-will-not-require-an-always+online-connection
UPDATE: More relief... At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that.[/QUOTE]

Ok, time for an honest report here. If this really does go the way its looking, and MS has restrictions on used games, 24 hour online check in requirement, and always on Kinect sensor. Sony, on the other hand, continues business as usual, no used game restrictions, no online requirement, no Eye integration.

Can you honestly say you'll still buy an Xbox One over a PS4? I mean Microsoft NEEDS Sony to follow suit or they're dead, right?

I'm sure Sony is going to follow suit with used games in SOME way, whether it be a publisher requirement, offline pass or whatever. Otherwise, it'd be a bloodbath.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm sure Sony is going to follow suit with used games in SOME way, whether it be a publisher requirement, offline pass or whatever. Otherwise, it'd be a bloodbath.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this, as much as I love cheap used games, I'm afraid we are the near end of a golden era. Unless you mod your console.

Good things that greatly favors consumers will eventually end, like the GCU coupons and BBY PM.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Ok, time for an honest report here. If this really does go the way its looking, and MS has restrictions on used games, 24 hour online check in requirement, and always on Kinect sensor. Sony, on the other hand, continues business as usual, no used game restrictions, no online requirement, no Eye integration.

Can you honestly say you'll still buy an Xbox One over a PS4? I mean Microsoft NEEDS Sony to follow suit or they're dead, right?[/QUOTE]

This is simple for me. PS4. Yeah all my "defending" is mostly under the assumption both of them are on the same page. If Sony is really like "we had no clue MS was doing this" and has none of those restrictions then Sony is going to demolish MS (especially world-wide).

[quote name='Broken Cage']Ok, time for an honest report here. If this really does go the way its looking, and MS has restrictions on used games, 24 hour online check in requirement, and always on Kinect sensor. Sony, on the other hand, continues business as usual, no used game restrictions, no online requirement, no Eye integration.

Can you honestly say you'll still buy an Xbox One over a PS4? I mean Microsoft NEEDS Sony to follow suit or they're dead, right?[/QUOTE]

Yep. As much as I love Halo, Gears etc., and have friends on Xbox and not PS3, I'd go for a PS4 (or just no next gen consoles) if that were the case.

I just can't see MS being dumb enough to do that if they weren't sure Sony was doing the same or similar though. They'd know they were DOA if they were doing all that crap and Sony none of it.

Dead is a bit hyperbolic. . Xbox1 vs ps4 is like democrats vs Republicans. They both have built in user base. The xbox1 will sell plenty. They won't be dead.

They will lose some sales though to people on the fence or have no loyalty like me.

With perfect information, it's hard to believe anyone but the most ardent Xbox fanboys would buy the x1 if all the rumors come to pass. Unfortunately, and anyone who has been in GameStop knows, the general public is either stupid or doesn't give a crap -- those are the people who will jump in, shitty activation or no.

There are other factors here as well.

People will lose their jobs because gs stores will close down and not just stores like them. Mom and pop video game stores and so on. This will have a negative impact on the us economy. So a few publishers get more millions at the expense of the regular joe.

Also the cag coommunity. Gone are amz warehouse deals, gamefly and so on.

If you want to send a message, don't buy any system at launch window at all. Who cares what games are out on it. Stand firm.

Well Major Nelson is saying that Used game trading reports are incomplete and inaccurate.

Xbox One and used games

Over the paste few days, we have been reading comments and message boards following the Xbox One announcement. There are a few questions regarding used games. I wanted to clarify and provide this official statement:

The ability to trade in and resell games is important to gamers and to Xbox. Xbox One is designed to support the trade in and resale of games. Reports about our policies for trade in and resale are inaccurate and incomplete. We will disclose more information in the near future.

http://majornelson.com/2013/05/24/xbox-one-and-used-games-2/

I love reading the comments. Well so and so is saying this!! So the fact MS is saying it is incomplete or inaccurate completely evades your logic? MS is handling this horribly but people just believing every bit of "journalism" out there is amusing.

I can't answer the first part without bias since I'm more of a Sony fan anyway (thanks to free online and PS+), but I'd think there's no way for MS to "win" next gen assuming that scenario. Of course I was pretty shocked when I found out the no used games, kinect required, and online requirements were actually happening so who knows what could happen. I guess nothing should surprise me any more.

Just looking at this gen, MS may rule the US market, but overall sales were about equal if not tipped slightly in favor of the PS3, and that's with the PS3 launching later and the whole rrod fiasco. So I think PS4 will sell more total consoles regardless next gen. Not so sure with the US though.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Games on Demand does not sell cheaper because they are not trying to undercut the brick and mortar retailers. [/QUOTE]

That was my point with my examples. You cannot buy old games at retail, yet GoD pricing for those games far exceeds what the value of the game is. MS is in sole control of those games' value.

They can't undercut retail on a product that retail hasn't carried in years.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Well Major Nelson is saying that Used game trading reports are incomplete and inaccurate.
http://majornelson.com/2013/05/24/xbox-one-and-used-games-2/[/QUOTE]

Clear as mud. I think it's hilarious that sticking to whatever PR plan they had is more important than putting a stop to the constant hemorrhaging of rumors and negative press.

[quote name='Liquid Metal']
If you want to send a message, don't buy any system at launch window at all. Who cares what games are out on it. Stand firm.[/QUOTE]

Gamers are weak. It would be huge if everyone stepped up and didn't support such a device, but gamers g0ts to g3t the1r CoD on!!1111!!

Eh, there are enough games to keep playing on old systems for a bit. Give it 6 months and you will see M$ cave.

We also dont know the price yet. I guarantee its $400 - $500 bucks.

For $400-$500, I can wait.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Well Major Nelson is saying that Used game trading reports are incomplete and inaccurate.

Xbox One and used games

Over the paste few days, we have been reading comments and message boards following the Xbox One announcement. There are a few questions regarding used games. I wanted to clarify and provide this official statement:

The ability to trade in and resell games is important to gamers and to Xbox. Xbox One is designed to support the trade in and resale of games. Reports about our policies for trade in and resale are inaccurate and incomplete. We will disclose more information in the near future.

http://majornelson.com/2013/05/24/xbox-one-and-used-games-2/

I love reading the comments. Well so and so is saying this!! So the fact MS is saying it is incomplete or inaccurate completely evades your logic? MS is handling this horribly but people just believing every bit of "journalism" out there is amusing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but Major Nelson isn't saying anything, either. He has said, "You'll still be able to trade and resell games."

He also said, "Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile."

So in order for there to be no fee, you have to play under your account. Logic states that for there to be no fee under my account, there must be a fee under somebody elses. Otherwise, he would have just said, "There's no fee."

Furthermore, if they weren't fucking with it at all, there'd be no announcement to make, and no secret to keep. They're hiding something, and I'm thinking it's because they didn't expect the backlash to be this bad.

[quote name='Corvin']That was my point with my examples. You cannot buy old games at retail, yet GoD pricing for those games far exceeds what the value of the game is. MS is in sole control of those games' value.

They can't undercut retail on a product that retail hasn't carried in years.

[/QUOTE]

I will definitely agree with you on this. I am not convinced this will be the future for all games though. If it is then I also believe consumers will eventually leave this model and a more consumer friendly option will replace it. It sucks to be at this transition point without knowledge of how it will affect future game prices but it was inevitable that it was coming at some generation. Personally I thought we would have one more generation free of restrictions just because the internet was not quite prepared from a infrastructure stand point but here we are. I am hoping for the best I guess.

[quote name='Liquid Metal']Eh, there are enough games to keep playing on old systems for a bit. Give it 6 months and you will see M$ cave.

We also dont know the price yet. I guarantee its $400 - $500 bucks.

For $400-$500, I can wait.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it's like confooscious (SP?) said, there are millions of idiots that'll run out and buy it without a clue. I'd bet every cent I own that Amazon reviews will read like this, "OMGWTF I can't play my friend's copy of Call of Duty!? WTF Micro$oft!?!?!?!?!?"

I'll be completely honest, some part of me doesn't want this generation to end. I'm still happy with my 360, and I do wonder if I'll buy a next gen console in the first two years or just keep grinding on my back catalogue until they stop supporting the 360.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Y
I'll be completely honest, some part of me doesn't want this generation to end. I'm still happy with my 360, and I do wonder if I'll buy a next gen console in the first two years or just keep grinding on my back catalogue until they stop supporting the 360.[/QUOTE]

I am with you on this for sure. I have plenty of great games left to play and it would appear many games are going to be cross generation like Destiny and Watch Dogs so the itch to get the next great games will be relieved by that.

Yeah but those millions will stop buying games or dont buy enough games to keep M$ happy. Especially when they dont hit their forcast and i'll be shocked if gs even pushes the system.

All true cags should be protesting this system. Its going to cost each one of us a lot more to play a game. We will be at the mercy of msrp.

Imagine, though, if the console itself and the games cost significantly less than the PS4 and its games? Then what? That would change the formula. With piracy essentially eliminated and with used sales providing returns for Microsoft and game publishers, they will have room to make prices lower and will probably be more capable of taking a loss on the console itself, knowing that the overall returns on game sales, new, and certainly used, will be higher.

Also I can tell you that GS absolutely is pushing the system. They asked me just yesterday if I wanted to be added to a mailing list to be kept up on all the news about the system. Come to think of it, they made no mention of the PS4 at all, only the Xbone, and that even though my kid bought a PS3 game.

[quote name='crunchewy']Imagine, though, if the console itself and the games cost significantly less than the PS4 and its games? Then what? That would change the formula. With piracy essentially eliminated and with used sales providing returns for Microsoft and game publishers, they will have room to make prices lower and will probably be more capable of taking a loss on the console itself, knowing that the overall returns on game sales, new, and certainly used, will be higher.[/QUOTE]

I think hackers/modders are going to target XBone really hard because of all this information.

[quote name='Liquid Metal']
If you want to send a message, don't buy any system at launch window at all. Who cares what games are out on it. Stand firm.[/QUOTE]
I'm as loyal as they come and I'm one of the biggest video game fanatics you'll ever meet, but I won't support this future.

:)

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm still waiting for an apology for Don Mattrick's "wanting backwards compatibility is backwards" remark.[/QUOTE]
Agreed... :applause:

:)

Right, I'm waiting for the day when you put in the game and the system says you are already registered on another system with that unique ID. Ahuh, hacker. That or you loose your account to hacking, god hopefully Microsoft's security would be better than Sony's.

[quote name='crunchewy']Imagine, though, if the console itself and the games cost significantly less than the PS4 and its games? Then what? That would change the formula. With piracy essentially eliminated and with used sales providing returns for Microsoft and game publishers, they will have room to make prices lower and will probably be more capable of taking a loss on the console itself, knowing that the overall returns on game sales, new, and certainly used, will be higher.

Also I can tell you that GS absolutely is pushing the system. They asked me just yesterday if I wanted to be added to a mailing list to be kept up on all the news about the system. Come to think of it, they made no mention of the PS4 at all, only the Xbone, and that even though my kid bought a PS3 game.[/QUOTE]

You honestly expect M$ and the publishers to take the extra money and give it away? Give me some of what you are smoking.

They are simply asking people to be put into a waiting list to be known. Not everything is known. I'm sure if one system plays used games and one doesn't it, the one that doesnt wont get pushed.

Look at the PSP go. GS never pushed that system at all. It died a slow death. Sony learned their lesson there and i'm sure they know what happens to a system in the us that can't have their games traded back in.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If Microsoft had good news, it would've been important for them to fully disclose their plans by now to spare them bad feedback.[/QUOTE]

Yep. At best they are shocked by the blow back and working on how to change things for E3 to fix it.

[quote name='Broken Cage']
I'll be completely honest, some part of me doesn't want this generation to end. I'm still happy with my 360, and I do wonder if I'll buy a next gen console in the first two years or just keep grinding on my back catalogue until they stop supporting the 360.[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely with you there. Current gen graphics and gameplay are fine by me. Neither are feeling dated like they were late in prior gens (that didn't even last this long), so I just don't have that itch to upgrade right now.

[quote name='dmaul1114']True, but we're not going digital only. Stores will still be buying physical copies of games (that come with activation keys) that they have to sell or get stuck with.

So that will at least still lead to sales on the disc games just like it does now. If it was digital only, you'd be 100% right that we'd probably see many fewer sales. But with stores needing to move product, it shouldn't be a huge issue this go [/QUOTE]

What Microsoft proposed is digital copies on a disc. The disc is simply a faster delivery method than downloads, but it is the same thing. Without an activation code, the disc is useless.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Right, I'm waiting for the day when you put in the game and the system says you are already registered on another system with that unique ID. Ahuh, hacker. That or you loose your account to hacking, god hopefully Microsoft's security would be better than Sony's.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bet on that. Microsoft accounts get hacked all the time for individuals.

I've been ready for the next gen for a couple of years. New consoles always spur more original IPs. The risk/reward is higher when the userbase is smaller.

Once you get this late into a game cycle, the only big games have numbers after the title.

[quote name='spatenfloot']What Microsoft proposed is digital copies on a disc. The disc is simply a faster delivery method than downloads, but it is the same thing. Without an activation code, the disc is useless.[/QUOTE]

Of course. But that still doesn't affect my point.

Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, Amazon etc. will be buying tons of copies of these discs and has to sell them all eventually so there will still be sales and price drops as retailers try to move older stock.

Once that's gone and we're fully download only for games, then the console makers and publishers will have full power over pricing.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep. As much as I love Halo, Gears etc., and have friends on Xbox and not PS3, I'd go for a PS4 (or just no next gen consoles) if that were the case.

I just can't see MS being dumb enough to do that if they weren't sure Sony was doing the same or similar though. They'd know they were DOA if they were doing all that crap and Sony none of it.[/QUOTE]

Sony has been messing with Microsoft a lot lately. Maybe they said they would do it too just to get Microsoft to commit.

[quote name='Corvin']Once you get this late into a game cycle, the only big games have numbers after the title.[/QUOTE]
The Last Of Us and Beyond Two Souls are coming this year. Along with some smaller games like Puppeteer. The Evil Within should be coming also. That could be for next gen consoles too? Not sure.

Remember Me comes out in like 2 weeks but I think everyone has already forgotten it, along with Fuse.
So maybe not many big AAA titles aside from The Last Of Us, but still plenty of new stuff coming.

I do know what you're saying though. I can't wait for Thief even if it is actually a sequel/reboot. Also The Last Guardian assuming it ever actually releases. Honestly nothing else has me too hyped so far but I'm sure they're coming and they'll be awesome.

All the indignation you're hearing on message boards against what msft is proposing won't amount to a hill of beans if console and game sales are strong in the first 6 months.

[quote name='confoosious']All the indignation you're hearing on message boards against what msft is proposing won't amount to a hill of beans if console and game sales are strong in the first 6 months.[/QUOTE]

They won't be. But that won't be due to the digital nature of the system. It will be a consequence of trying to release a new, expensive console against multiple entrenched and much cheaper competitors.

The digital-only nature of the XBox One won't be what holds it back. Steam has already proven that a system like that can work. It will take time for the general public to get used to it, but humans are an adaptable lot. Once some of the advantages become more evident, they'll begin to accept it as the norm.

The real issue at hand is how successful the XBox One can be in the current market, with the kind of competition its going to be struggling against. The video game industry has never been as competitive as it is right now. And I'm not certain that Microsoft is taking the proper strategy with their new system. Focusing on integration with TV is just so backwards.

[quote name='confoosious']All the indignation you're hearing on message boards against what msft is proposing won't amount to a hill of beans if console and game sales are strong in the first 6 months.[/QUOTE]

Very true.

But if Wii U sales are any indication, that's far from a sure thing. Especially if the launch line ups are as sparse as the 360 and PS3 one's were, and big games like CoD:Ghosts are still on current gen consoles giving a lot of gamers little incentive to early adopt.

Good discussion here.

I agree that if the PS4 announces no restriction for used games, yet MS does, it's game over. I would call myself almost a MS apologist (more a realist, but whatever) since I have loved Xbox since day one. And I do mean day one, like original Xbox on day one with Halo and Oddworld (and later games like Azurik, Wrekless, and Blood Wake). That said, it depends on the user. The used games deal doesn't bother me too much, and this coming from one who has been a Gamefly subscriber for 4 years now (playing Metro Last Light now on 360 actually, great game, wish I had bought it to support them).

What would be a deciding factor is the online subscriptions and what it delivers to consumers. Will it be the same $60 a year. $100 a year. Eliminate the annual fee, just a monthly subscription ala Netflix? What about Sony, will they also charge $60 a year now. Will that be for PS Plus also, or just online MP. Will PS+ go away altogether, I cannot see Sony giving away PS4 games anywhere near the launch windows. They did it for Vita, but that felt more to spur more sales of the system, PS4 should sell fine, so PS+ might not be needed. There is a lot that need to be factored in before even deciding on a system, if any.

Thats what i wanna know more. Used games I'm ok with loosing if they also include a demo of every single game from now on. I assume all games will be digitally available too, so why cant MS implement a mandatory demo system ala XBLA for all retail games. That would be cool to have. The PS4 hinted at that also.

What about the NFL partnership, if that includes NFL redzone, I'm in all the way (huge NFL fan here, that actually maters a ton to me)

(PS: I'm on my ipad writing this, so there are a lot of grammar errors, my bad)

[quote name='Richard Kain']
Focusing on integration with TV is just so backwards.[/QUOTE]

It is an odd focus for a gaming machine.

But I have to admit I'd be intrigued if someone could do a box right that could be my TV receiver/DVR, my Bluray player and my gaming machine.

That would clear up a lot of clutter in the TV stand, and cord mess behind it vs. now where I have a 360, PS3, DirecTV DVR and Bluray player all hooked up to my receiver. And it would also improve ease of use with no switching of inputs etc. needed and having a unified menu/OS to get to everything.

But MS isn't coming close to doing that sense you apparently still need a cable/satellite box and just plug that into an HDMI in on the Xbox One which doesn't reduce any clutter.

In terms of clutter reduction, I guess I could technically do without a stand alone Bluray player, but I had one for three years before getting a PS3 (I've since upgraded it though) and I like the totally silent nature of it when using the streaming apps vs the noisier PS3 or 360. I also like saving wear and tear on pricey game consoles now that standalone Bluray player are pretty cheap.

Honestly I could get past the used games if that was the only thing-Just make really sure I buy stuff at a good sale that I want to keep, hasn't been that hard over the years since I don't buy a ton of used stuff. But that combined with other confirmed issues like having to be online at least once a day and mandatory installs along with Kinect garbage and you've lost me as a customer. If PS4 is fairly similar I'll just be happy with my Wii U for awhile.

[quote name='Richard Kain']They won't be. But that won't be due to the digital nature of the system. It will be a consequence of trying to release a new, expensive console against multiple entrenched and much cheaper competitors.

The digital-only nature of the XBox One won't be what holds it back. Steam has already proven that a system like that can work. It will take time for the general public to get used to it, but humans are an adaptable lot. Once some of the advantages become more evident, they'll begin to accept it as the norm.
[/QUOTE]

People need to stop comparing it to steam. They are two completely different market segments and different scenarios. Just because PC users are used to it doesn't mean console buyers are going to be ok with it. It's not guaranteed. IF the public rejects the system or is slow to adopt and money is being lost, then the tide will change.

Also, digital gaming on pc is different from the adoption standpoint because people already had PCs. They just had to get used to buying their games online. Much like buying music online. Upgrades to hardware notwithstanding, you already had your hardware.

The xbox1 is asking you to buy all new hardware AND get used to a new distribution system. Now, as I said earlier, it's entirely possible that 90% of the buying public for the xbox1 has no idea about the restrictive DRM (And this is what microsoft is banking on.) and sales aren't affected much by their new system.

However, for the sake of us cheapasses, it's better if the public is informed and rejects it. (But the cynical side of me says that the public won't care and this is just how it is from now on.)

[quote name='cancerman1120']According to Polygon....

Xbox One games will require regular authentication checks, used games won't have a fee

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/43...uire-regular-authentication-checks-used-games[/QUOTE]

Sounds like they're really scrambling in how to handle the backlash and what type of authentication system to put in place.

I think whoever posted in one of these threads the other day about how Sony announcing the PS4 for this year must have caught MS off guard.

That they had been planning on waiting until 2014 to launch Xbox One--and thus everything's a mess now as they had to rush an announcement before they had everything figured out as they didn't want to be year late and end up behind the curve like the PS3 did in the US.

[quote name='Richard Kain']The video game industry has never been as competitive as it is right now. And I'm not certain that Microsoft is taking the proper strategy with their new system. Focusing on integration with TV is just so backwards.[/QUOTE]

XbOne sure sucks for us, core gamers, but who knows how the market will react to it. Some of my coworkers, who could care less about gaming, are intrigued by some of the TV features. We take for granted how many spouses/significant others/parents have trouble navigating their way through a modern home theater system. People forget that M$ has a ton of data from XBL which probably tells them a whole lot about consumer behavior. Maybe folks really do spend a lot of time streaming media on their Xbox360... I don't know.

That said, I was not really happy about a lot of their decisions but at the end of the day I think I'll buy one a few years down the road. If for no other reason that it could be a kickass universal remote.

[quote name='Blaster man']What a clusterfuck for them. It doesn't even make fucking sense. If it plays used games then why does it require to be online to authenticate the game?[/QUOTE]

Yeah there is something missing. Unless each disc automatically downloads a unique code then it does not make sense. I would assume the authentication is a form of rights transfer but the details are spotty at best how that will work.

Edit:

Arthur Gies ‏@aegies 6m
it SOUNDS like ownership is transferred with the disc itself seamlessly, which is probably the best case scenario.

[quote name='Blaster man']What a clusterfuck for them. It doesn't even make fucking sense. If it plays used games then why does it require to be online to authenticate the game?[/QUOTE]

To make sure you're not playing bootlegs?

"ERROR: Microsoft does not recognize your HOLA DOST 2 game. Please call 1-800-555-CASH for assistance."

[quote name='dmaul1114']Very true.

But if Wii U sales are any indication, that's far from a sure thing. Especially if the launch line ups are as sparse as the 360 and PS3 one's were, and big games like CoD:Ghosts are still on current gen consoles giving a lot of gamers little incentive to early adopt.[/QUOTE]

This, as well as the likely $400-500 price tag, are the biggest reasons I think the next generation of video games isn't the smash hit some people think it will be (especially the console manufacturers...). Microsoft is walking into this with a big swinging dick thinking everyone wants to jump on but Wii U sales aren't just an indication that people aren't adopting Nintendo's new console but rather an indication that people aren't adopting new consoles in general. They're happy with what they've got, it plays Call of Duty, Fifa, and Madden so what's the point of paying another $400-500 to play just a slightly better looking version of the games they've already got?

The enthusiast gamers aren't on board because of all the issues discussed in this thread and the casuals likely won't be on board because of the value proposition. I hate to sound overly negative but this is going to be a huge turning point in the video game market. Will it crash? I don't think it's that significant or dire but I am concerned.

[quote name='DNukem170']To make sure you're not playing bootlegs?

"ERROR: Microsoft does not recognize your HOLA DOST 2 game. Please call 1-800-555-CASH for assistance."[/QUOTE]
People doing bootleg games aren't going to connect their console to the Internet anyway. Bootleggers will always be out there and MS cannot stop it. How about - Insert disk - game authenticated - DONE!

[quote name='cancerman1120']According to Polygon....

Xbox One games will require regular authentication checks, used games won't have a fee

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/43...uire-regular-authentication-checks-used-games[/QUOTE]

There won't be a fee for used games, because there will be no more used games, technically the disc itself is just a delivery system for the activation. There will be no difference in a new or used disc itself (except it will be missing the activation key). You will never buy a used game, you will buy a disc with the data and buy the activation license.

I also love that some people's defense is that they will simply buy "one or two games a year" and/or "wait for price drops." Do you think you are the customer MS wants? Sure that may be a personal solution financially (this is CAG afterall), but it would be horrible for the gaming industry if every one did the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back